Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
^ True, and in a way that ruins the immersion. I don't mind the less obvious ones though. I especially love the backgrounds in 1999's second opening.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually in some ways I like the fact that the 2011 backgrounds are "uninspiring" because it then keeps your attention on the characters
and I think 2011 backgrounds are by no means bad. I'm actually rather looking forward to more of Yorknew's backgrounds because we've
gotten a lot of rough terrain shots. Once it gets more into the city things should look pretty awesome. From some of the shots in
Heavens Arena for 2011 I would say Madhouse can draw cities pretty well.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've come to prefer 2011>1999 at this point, but I do actually really enjoy the Hunter exam teamwork filler. Pretty sure that inspired the Ponzu Pokkle pairing that takes place during NGL. I also actually like ALL the Tonpa filler, that guys hilarious to me, so the more we get of him the better.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've come to prefer 2011>1999 at this point, but I do actually really enjoy the Hunter exam teamwork filler. Pretty sure that inspired the Ponzu Pokkle pairing that takes place during NGL. I also actually like ALL the Tonpa filler, that guys hilarious to me, so the more we get of him the better.
I forget what some of the Tonpa filler were.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I much prefer how 2011 has portrayed York New compared to how 1999 did.
In 99 it looks exactly like New York City. This is just wrong. Here is why:
In the manga York New is portrayed as a city surrounded by Desert-ish area.
If anything York New appears in the manga to be more like a mix of Las Vegas and New York.
I feel that 2011 captures that balance perfectly and has thus far represented York New very similar to in the manga.
I consider this a good thing because it makes much more sense.
The 1999 version shows shots of a saturated New York city surrounded by body of water.
This is never seen in the manga and it is shown to be surrounded by desert where Uvo and Kurapika fight.
So it's very inconsistent and I consider it to be a major mistake in the 1999 version.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I much prefer how 2011 has portrayed York New compared to how 1999 did.
In 99 it looks exactly like New York City. This is just wrong. Here is why:
In the manga York New is portrayed as a city surrounded by Desert-ish area.
If anything York New appears in the manga to be more like a mix of Las Vegas and New York.
I feel that 2011 captures that balance perfectly and has thus far represented York New very similar to in the manga.
I consider this a good thing because it makes much more sense.
The 1999 version shows shots of a saturated New York city surrounded by body of water.
This is never seen in the manga and it is shown to be surrounded by desert where Uvo and Kurapika fight.
So it's very inconsistent and I consider it to be a major mistake in the 1999 version.
Well it looks relatively close to the ocean on the map. There is desert but how do you know it's surrounded?
Couldn't be ocean on side and desert on the other?
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We know that theres a desert...thats one thing for sure.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've decided---That 1999 Yorknew > 2011 Yorknew

Yes, 2011 has had a better Kurapika vs Uvogin and is more violent and all that jazz.

But the 1999 has a better balance with Kurapika's story and Gon's story. Which is annoying for me to say since I thought even the 1999 was
out of balance with Kurapika and Gon. But man. Madhouse has been doing TERRIBLE with keeping that balance. It's the Kurapika Korner as I feared. :(
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

This episode was great and served it's purpose. We all know that this is simply the downtime until the truly important stuff. I know Zepile and Leorio fans hate to admit it but in the grand scheme of things they are not as important in this story arc as the Phantom Troupe. We should see the Troupe as the main story line of this arc revolves around them, if you don't like it I really don't see how you like this arc so much in the manga because it is the same. It's all about Kurapika and the Troupe with a bit of Gon and Killua mixed in. This episode introduced some necessary plot elements are got us from point A to point B, that is all it had to do and it did it just fine. Sure there were omissions but honestly 2 whole weeks of this would have been overkill, Madhouse knows this, so they simply created a collection of the most important points. It flowed great and did everything it needed to do. Also to those going on about Killua not mentioning Silva fighting the Troupe, I think Madhouse is removing that in order to keep Silva and Zeno vs Chrollo a surprise to non manga fans. Killua calling that out is a clear flag that Silva will get involved some how, better to have Silva himself reveal his past with the Troupe in my opinion. Just makes more sense anime wise.
I don't think it is the same as the manga. Of course Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe are the focus in the manga.
But we get a LOT more balance there than either animated version has offered. I'm just mad that this version is on
that point doing WORSE than the old series. And you can count on me to not say that out of nostalgia for the 99 series.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I've decided---That 1999 Yorknew > 2011 Yorknew

Yes, 2011 has had a better Kurapika vs Uvogin and is more violent and all that jazz.

But the 1999 has a better balance with Kurapika's story and Gon's story. Which is annoying for me to say since I thought even the 1999 was
out of balance with Kurapika and Gon. But man. Madhouse has been doing TERRIBLE with keeping that balance. It's the Kurapika Korner as I feared. :(
Dude how can you say that when we are not even 1 quarter through the arc? This arc is supposed to be about Kurapika, after this we wont see him for a VERY long time. You really are complaining about things that are exactly the same in the manga dude...
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I don't think it is the same as the manga. Of course Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe are the focus in the manga.
But we get a LOT more balance there than either animated version has offered. I'm just mad that this version is on
that point doing WORSE than the old series. And you can count on me to not say that out of nostalgia for the 99 series.
Sticky you have to understand that pacing is handled differently in an anime in comparison to a manga. In a manga you have pages to work with, an anime you have minutes to work with. Now when adapting one to the other it is very difficult because while they may seem to be similar mediums they are in fact VERY different.

Consider this, in a manga you can have dialogue appear at a greater capacity than in an anime series, why is that you wonder? Well it's written, where as in an anime series it is spoken. Having dialogue spoken takes time, where as dialogue in a manga is a matter of panels. One line in a manga could be 1 panel, this very same line in an anime could be 20-30 seconds at times. They are a completely different medium and no matter what if you go in with the hopes of a perfect panel for panel adaptation you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I feel you are not viewing things with an understanding mind and instead are damning anything for it's difference to the manga. You need to understand that sometimes sacrifices must be made and that it's not as easy as you think to adapt something like this. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are really off base here mate.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dude how can you say that when we are not even 1 quarter through the arc? This arc is supposed to be about Kurapika, after this we wont see him for a VERY long time. You really are complaining about things that are exactly the same in the manga dude...
No. It's NOT exactly the same as the manga. We are getting rush jobs for Gon's story and dragging it out for Kurapika's story.

It's not that there is more Kurapika stuff than Gon stuff that bothers me. It's that the Gon stuff is being reduced so that the Kurapika stuff can be extended.

I don't mind fillers as long as they don't screw with the characterizations or replace the canon.
 

bobop

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
319
Gender
Male
Country
Reunion
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Sticky you have to understand that pacing is handled differently in an anime in comparison to a manga. In a manga you have pages to work with, an anime you have minutes to work with. Now when adapting one to the other it is very difficult because while they may seem to be similar mediums they are in fact VERY different.

Consider this, in a manga you can have dialogue appear at a greater capacity than in an anime series, why is that you wonder? Well it's written, where as in an anime series it is spoken. Having dialogue spoken takes time, where as dialogue in a manga is a matter of panels. One line in a manga could be 1 panel, this very same line in an anime could be 20-30 seconds at times. They are a completely different medium and no matter what if you go in with the hopes of a perfect panel for panel adaptation you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I feel you are not viewing things with an understanding mind and instead are damning anything for it's difference to the manga. You need to understand that sometimes sacrifices must be made and that it's not as easy as you think to adapt something like this. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are really off base here mate.
The very funny thing (i mean very funny :) ) is that when 1999 anime do exactly the same thing with elements that 1999 fans consider as trivial and non importants, and the 1999 fans brought the same arguments as yours, there is an uproar =>the 1999 anime destroys the manga, shitty adapation that doesn't remain faithful to the manga, blabla, blabla ......

Sticky and i (and i'm sure we're not the only one) were disappointed with this episode, so we have not an understanding mind on how anime works ?
What kind of logic is that ?
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
No. It's NOT exactly the same as the manga. We are getting rush jobs for Gon's story and dragging it out for Kurapika's story.

It's not that there is more Kurapika stuff than Gon stuff that bothers me. It's that the Gon stuff is being reduced so that the Kurapika stuff can be extended.

I don't mind fillers as long as they don't screw with the characterizations or replace the canon.
Where have they screwed with characterisation or replaced canon? I do not see this anywhere within the series.
Dude even in the manga Gon is reduced and Kurapika is extended. You act like we won't get enough of Gon even though the next episode will be all abut Gon and there are still many episodes and STORY ARCS ahead that centre almost exclusively on him. Chill out dude, you are jumping to conclusions and making outlandish statements way too soon.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Sticky you have to understand that pacing is handled differently in an anime in comparison to a manga. In a manga you have pages to work with, an anime you have minutes to work with. Now when adapting one to the other it is very difficult because while they may seem to be similar mediums they are in fact VERY different.

Consider this, in a manga you can have dialogue appear at a greater capacity than in an anime series, why is that you wonder? Well it's written, where as in an anime series it is spoken. Having dialogue spoken takes time, where as dialogue in a manga is a matter of panels. One line in a manga could be 1 panel, this very same line in an anime could be 20-30 seconds at times. They are a completely different medium and no matter what if you go in with the hopes of a perfect panel for panel adaptation you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I feel you are not viewing things with an understanding mind and instead are damning anything for it's difference to the manga. You need to understand that sometimes sacrifices must be made and that it's not as easy as you think to adapt something like this. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are really off base here mate.
Would you mind not talking to me as if I'm an idiot?

There wouldn't BE a pacing issue if Madhouse wasn't lazy with episode 39 and 40 and just gave us the Flesh Collector's Mansion in one go as it should have been.
If they didn't do that crap then episode 39 would finish the flesh collector's mansion and all the phantom troupe into stuff could be moved to episode 40 and
all the other stuff moved back which would give room for the missing Gon Leorio and Killua stuff and still have Kurapika vs Uvogin in episode 47.
Would there still be missing stuff? Sure but it wouldn't be as nearly as bad as it is now.

What's so difficult about it? No. The only reason it's "difficult" is because they want to appease the audiences who can't wait another lousy episode
for Spiders this and Spiders that. Of course it's a business so I understand they have to go where the money is and the money is with Kurapika
and the spiders I suppose. I mean I'm not gonna lie. I love Kurapika and the Spiders part as well. But I also love the search for Greed Island.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

The very funny thing (i mean very funny :) ) is that when 1999 anime do exactly the same thing with elements that 1999 fans consider as trivial and non importants, and the 1999 fans brought the same arguments as yours, there is an uproar =>the 1999 anime destroys the manga, shitty adapation that doesn't remain faithful to the manga, blabla, blabla ......

Sticky and i (and i'm sure we're not the only one) were disappointed with this episode, so we have not an understanding mind on how anime works ?
What kind of logic is that ?

It's like I said some time ago. I judge according to the manga.

Now there's nothing wrong with liking 2011 or 1999 better on their own merit but people should realize that is largely their own opinion.

Whereas accuracy to the manga is something that can be factually compared... Well for the most part.


It's not like I've decided that the 1999 series is entirely better as a whole than the 2011 series as a whole.

2011 Hunter Exam is still better
2011 Heavens Arena is still better
2011 Whale Island is still better

2011 and 1999 Zoldyck Arc are equal

2011 and 1999 Yorknew Arc are better in different ways. Mainly 2011 is better with Kurapika's story. 1999 is better with Gon's story.

Of course manga triumphs both. Easily.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Would you mind not talking to me as if I'm an idiot?

There wouldn't BE a pacing issue if Madhouse wasn't lazy with episode 39 and 40 and just gave us the Flesh Collector's Mansion in one go as it should have been.
If they didn't do that crap then episode 39 would finish the flesh collector's mansion and all the phantom troupe into stuff could be moved to episode 40 and
all the other stuff moved back which would give room for the missing Gon Leorio and Killua stuff and still have Kurapika vs Uvogin in episode 47.
Would there still be missing stuff? Sure but it wouldn't be as nearly as bad as it is now.

What's so difficult about it? No. The only reason it's "difficult" is because they want to appease the audiences who can't wait another lousy episode
for Spiders this and Spiders that. Of course it's a business so I understand they have to go where the money is and the money is with Kurapika
and the spiders I suppose. I mean I'm not gonna lie. I love Kurapika and the Spiders part as well. But I also love the search for Greed Island.
Mate I'm not talking to you as if you are an idiot, you yourself are acting in such a way.
Thus far you have been complaining with this arc because it cuts down on GOn, Killua and Leorio moments.
Take one look at Crunchyroll comments section and you will see that the vast majority does not give a shit about this side story and that is the point, it is a side story serving one purpose, to exist as a breather between the serious moments with the main story of Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe.

I for one do not believe there to be a pacing issue at all. This arc has been paced excellently in my opinion and has trimmed a lot of the unnecessary fat, while increasing the important points. This is a story arc not about how Gon and friends eventually get Greed Island, that is a side story, this is the story of when Kurapika tangled with the Phantom Troupe. I dont understand why you are hating on it so much, it makes sense for Madhouse to accentuate the ACTUAL main story of the arc and highlight it. I really do not understand your gripes at all Sticky, it is to the point that I think you just don't like the character of Kurapika for one reason or another and choose to complain whenever he is in the foreground over Gon and friends.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Both the 1999 version and 2011 were okay, I thought. I gotta say though, the 1999 version had really ugly drawing for gon/killua. Reminded me of some pretty early eps in the Hunter Exam.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Mate I'm not talking to you as if you are an idiot, you yourself are acting in such a way.
Thus far you have been complaining with this arc because it cuts down on GOn, Killua and Leorio moments.
Take one look at Crunchyroll comments section and you will see that the vast majority does not give a shit about this side story and that is the point, it is a side story serving one purpose, to exist as a breather between the serious moments with the main story of Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe.

I for one do not believe there to be a pacing issue at all. This arc has been paced excellently in my opinion and has trimmed a lot of the unnecessary fat, while increasing the important points. This is a story arc not about how Gon and friends eventually get Greed Island, that is a side story, this is the story of when Kurapika tangled with the Phantom Troupe. I dont understand why you are hating on it so much, it makes sense for Madhouse to accentuate the ACTUAL main story of the arc and highlight it. I really do not understand your gripes at all Sticky, it is to the point that I think you just don't like the character of Kurapika for one reason or another and choose to complain whenever he is in the foreground over Gon and friends.

Great for them. I do give a shit though. How would you like it if they treated Greed Island the same way? What if Madhouse decided
"Hey, all this card collecting stuff is boring. So let's wrap it up quickly so we can get to the big fight?"
Wouldn't you be disappointed?

Yes Kurapika is the main focus but that doesn't mean Gon's story isn't important in the manga version of Yorknew. Gon is searching for Greed Island
remember? I'd say that's an DAMN important plot point. Actually when you think about it. KURAPIKA'S story is the "side story" if you consider
Gon the protagonist and finding his dad the plot. Though I wouldn't even say that. Hunter x Hunter is about the Hunter and the Hunt.
We're are getting Kurapika's hunt in great detail but Gon's hunt is largely glossed over. Why? Because impatient people think it's "boring".

I like Kurapika and I like the Spiders just fine. It's that I want a bit more respect towards Gon's side of the story.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tonpa gets set free from being tied up by Kurapika and struggles desperately to obtain badges, ultimately failing and getting beat up by Ponzu once she wakes up. Tonpa was always 1 step behind Hanzo in stealing plates, and Ponzu (thinking that Tonpa took her badge) beats the crap out of him. It was just kinda neat to imagine (I know its not canon) that perhaps Gon's determination and personality rubbed off on Tonpa and made him want to actually try and see how far he could go in the exam for once. lol.

I have to agree with FutureFrog, the whole idea that its New York meets Las Vegas is a neat idea, though I don't mind the idea of there being water on one side as well, I'd have to check the Hunter map to be sure where its really positioned. I do really like the gritty nasty urban backgrounds in 1999 Yorknew (basically whenever it wasn't a dumb photograph (which happens in the manga some too from what I've seen))

With Yorknew being my favorite arc, I'll probably always revisit both versions if not simply for the reason I adore the 1999 Yorknew soundtrack and music placements. I also really like the scene with Uvo and Shalnark in suits during the auction (this is in the manga but not the 2011 version)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top