[USER]steadynco[/USER], I wouldn't say the Killua-Alluka-Illumi storyline ended in nothingness. It ends with Illumi embarking on an ambition that is the closest thing this manga has come to true arch-villainy. I was never frightened of Illumi - I always considered him a threat, sure, but maybe its just because he was introduced with Hisoka and always appears with Hisoka, but I always considered him kind of a sidekick, if you will, being to Hisoka what Killua was for Gon. That arc changed that though. The scene with him standing on the hilltop with Hisoka, looking out over the city, with the knowledge of just how powerful Killua is (in regards to his ability to freely use Alluka), and grasping at that potential - chilling. After seeing Mereum and just how unapproachable his power is, I didn't think anything in this manga could scare me - leave it to Togashi to give my expectations the middle-finger. I left that storyline frightened as #$%&. Especially with Gon and Ging about to depart to the Dark Continent, leaving Killua alone with his mad brother. I wouldn't be surprised if we returned from the Dark Continent expedition with the main Hunter world wrecked, or at least some serious ish on our hands.
I'm happily surprised to see the Chimera Ant arc number one in the polls. This is my first day on this forum - Hunter x Hunter is my new found love, and I hopped on here because I wanted to discuss it, and this seemed the most lively pool of Hunter-related discourse - and in most other places I've been to, the Chimera Ant arc is kind of detested.
The Chimera Ant arc is my number one. I didn't like it too much at first - it was intimidating, looking at its chapter count, like diving into Moby Dick - and I didn't quite get where it was going - it wasn't necessarily "exciting!", but neither is most good literature. Instead, like most good literature, it slowly, but steadily, and with care and attention, took you to new and unexpected places. The final leg of that arc was like the intellectual equivalent of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. While Gurren Lagann, with each episode, floored me with the absurd heights to which it took its set pieces, each new chapter of the Chimera Ant arc floored me with the new levels of depth and complexity to which it took its stories and characters. The arc humanized its villain and made me connect with him in a way that no other manga, to my knowledge, has ever done - it doesn't try to justify his villainous actions, and make you sympathize with him as a "tragic" character - it simply makes you connect at a primal level with his humanity, a humanity that it unabashedly places side by side with his animality - breaking the binary between beast and human, good and evil - a true chimera. And it made me truly, in my heart, frightened of Gon, and made me question his suitability and status as a "hero". Up until this point I had loved the manga as intelligent and well executed entertainment - it was in this arc that I started to read it as literature.
After this:
2. Yorknew City
3. 13th Hunter Chairman Election
4. Heaven's Arena (this is the closest the manga gets to being a traditional shonen fight manga, and it is a nice reprieve after the Hunter Exam, which made sport out of the cliches of shonen manga tournament arcs, and Yorknew City, an arc which, taken by itself, is not at all of the shonen fight genre).
5. Hunter Exam / Zoldyck Family (I always considered the Zoldyck Family arc to be a denouement to the Hunter Exam arc).
6. Greed Island Arc (was not very impressed with this arc, though no antagonist elicited as much guttural fear in me as Razor - I think it was his casualness that did it, and the fact that my fear of him was not in anyway represented in Gon).