Fall NFL Thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow, Ed Reed and Ravens got the shaft from Goodell this week.

Suspended for a week and fined a game check of $423,529. I mean, it was an illegal hit no doubt about it but come on...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow, Ed Reed and Ravens got the shaft from Goodell this week.

Suspended for a week and fined a game check of $423,529. I mean, it was an illegal hit no doubt about it but come on...
Mmm yeah, I'm biased but I don't get it. It was helmet to helmet, but I don't think he was leading with it and just ended up smacking heads together.

Fining happens all the time, but was that hit worth a suspension? I guess he has a lot more illegal hits than what he's been flagged for, but when I think of Ed Reed at this point in his career I don't think of a BIG HITTER. When he was younger, and before he had his neck and shoulder "issues" he was your typical, hard-hitting DB that could play both Safety positions as well as a bit of CB but right now he's not really more than Free Safety.

Whatever, I don't get it. It certainly hurts our defensive backfield depth even more with the injuries we already have though.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I did think it was a bit harsh, but fortunately for you guys, Ed Reed's not out for the second Steelers game, only the lame team that you guys play in between.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread


:kamina

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

I did think it was a bit harsh, but fortunately for you guys, Ed Reed's not out for the second Steelers game, only the lame team that you guys play in between.
Yeah, but I still fear the passing game of the Chargers more than the Steelers. Especially on the road.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I think very little of Philip Rivers at this point in his career. I've always thought that he's overrated, but he's been going more and more downhill lately. He's still probably better than Sam Bradford, but that only lies in the "mediocre" realm, so...Admittedly, Rivers is a better QB than Charlie Batch, but I wouldn't be very worried about Rivers lighting you guys up if I were you.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I think very little of Philip Rivers at this point in his career. I've always thought that he's overrated, but he's been going more and more downhill lately. He's still probably better than Sam Bradford, but that only lies in the "mediocre" realm, so...Admittedly, Rivers is a better QB than Charlie Batch, but I wouldn't be very worried about Rivers lighting you guys up if I were you.
The last time we went out and played there we won, but it was a very close game. It's not the same team though.

Phillip Rivers can drop 400 yards on any given day. That team is soft, and while Norv Turner is NOT Head Coach material in my opinion, they were this way before he coached there either.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

ESPN's saying right now that Ed Reed was punished for cumulative hits in 2010, 2011, and 2012. There was a hit on Brees, a hit on Deion Branch, and then last night's hit.

I think that the suspension was quite harsh, although I do think Reed's escaped punishment at times in the past.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

The last time we went out and played there we won, but it was a very close game. It's not the same team though.

Phillip Rivers can drop 400 yards on any given day. That team is soft, and while Norv Turner is NOT Head Coach material in my opinion, they were this way before he coached there either.
I'm not saying that Philip Rivers can't score or can't have good days, but he's not that consistent, and I don't see the Chargers as a threat. Admittedly, I'm looking at SD from the point of view of a Pats fan and we've always liked facing Rivers, and I don't believe that we've ever lost to him.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

ESPN's saying right now that Ed Reed was punished for cumulative hits in 2010, 2011, and 2012. There was a hit on Brees, a hit on Deion Branch, and then last night's hit.

I think that the suspension was quite harsh, although I do think Reed's escaped punishment at times in the past.

I'm not saying that Philip Rivers can't score or can't have good days, but he's not that consistent, and I don't see the Chargers as a threat. Admittedly, I'm looking at SD from the point of view of a Pats fan and we've always liked facing Rivers, and I don't believe that we've ever lost to him.
Fair enough. I still don't see it.

Escaped punishment? He's been fined like every other person in the league.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I guess he has a lot more illegal hits than what he's been flagged for, but when I think of Ed Reed at this point in his career I don't think of a BIG HITTER.
Gary, you yourself said that; I was basically agreeing with that statement.

I think Reed's been hard done by here, but shit happens. I guess you could be happy that Goodell didn't go crazy and slap like three games on Reed. We still don't yet know what happened with the whole Saints' bounty program and after the NFL claiming to have all of those pages of documents, not one of them actually said that the guys were guilty. Goodell doesn't have a history of being fair or nice to players.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I said "I guess" as in I'm supposing there were hits he wasn't flagged for. People up in NYC watching game film and picking out who gets fined each week.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I don't buy into this "Let's fine/suspend people for past offenses" thing that the NFL's trying right now. I'm all for looking through the tape each week and fining people for those hits, but not looking through the past several years and making a judgment there.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

There's a fundamental issue with the hypocrisy of those running the league. It's changed how the game is played. Your basically not allowed to hit the QB anymore, neither are you allowed to hit a player trying to catch a ball with the intent to prevent them from catching it.

Player safety, player safety, player safety...yet they still want to extend the regular season.

I think Goodell is a joke of a commissioner basically. Thankfully the product is still good enough to where his tenure hasn't really HURT the game in any foreseeable way...yet

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Well, I don't buy into this "Let's fine/suspend people for past offenses" thing that the NFL's trying right now. I'm all for looking through the tape each week and fining people for those hits, but not looking through the past several years and making a judgment there.
If someone is being repeatedly fined for illegal hits, then it should result in further action. I have no issue with this when someone is making no effort to follow the rules. But Ed Reed? He's not your typical badass-psycho spouting off in the papers about hurting people and posing on the cover of magazines with guns in his hands *cough*JamesHarrison*cough*. Being fined three times in three years...? Meh
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

There's a fundamental issue with the hypocrisy of those running the league. It's changed how the game is played. Your basically not allowed to hit the QB anymore, neither are you allowed to hit a player trying to catch a ball with the intent to prevent them from catching it.

Player safety, player safety, player safety...yet they still want to extend the regular season.

I think Goodell is a joke of a commissioner basically. Thankfully the product is still good enough to where his tenure hasn't really HURT the game in any foreseeable way...yet
I think that Goodell has hurt the league pretty severely, actually. I'm all for player safety, but at times the new rules are leaving defensive players with no options.

If someone is being repeatedly fined for illegal hits, then it should result in further action. I have no issue with this when someone is making no effort to follow the rules. But Ed Reed? He's not your typical badass-psycho spouting off in the papers about hurting people and posing on the cover of magazines with guns in his hands *cough*JamesHarrison*cough*. Being fined three times in three years...? Meh
Yeah, we know James Harrison is a bit crazy.

Actually, ESPN didn't say that Ed Reed had been fined for all three of the hits, just that those were the three hits that were considered in terms of the suspension.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I think that Goodell has hurt the league pretty severely, actually. I'm all for player safety, but at times the new rules are leaving defensive players with no options.



Yeah, we know James Harrison is a bit crazy.

Actually, ESPN didn't say that Ed Reed had been fined for all three of the hits, just that those were the three hits that were considered in terms of the suspension.
I'm saying hurting the game in terms of its profits. And even with the rule changes, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching the game and being fan. So it's empty criticism in effect.

That's even murkier. Goodell is such a joke :lmao
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm saying hurting the game in terms of its profits. And even with the rule changes, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching the game and being fan. So it's empty criticism in effect.

That's even murkier. Goodell is such a joke :lmao
Well, when they brought us those replacement refs, they were hurting the actual game, not just the money side of the enterprise.

Yup, that's Goodell for you. He also suspended the Saints' players without any hard evidence, just hearsay. :derp
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I grew up watching football in the 80's and 90's, it was practically a different game. I miss seeing big, highlight reel hits. I also remember concussions ending Steve Young and Troy Aikman's career while they could still play. I do not think the rule change has hurt the NFL though, I think they have actually made the league more popular. Casual fans do not want defensive battles, they want offense. The rule changes have made passing easier and scoring higher. I wonder how much casual fans even care about how the Saints bounty scandal was handled, or how many even knew who Jonathan Vilma was. I imagine to many people the Saints are only Drew Brees.

The rule that really pisses me off is the one that prevents DB's from touching receivers after five yards. Preventing head injuries I can understand. The "Ty Law" rule is only their to give offenses an additional advantage.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm so tired of these stupid fines and suspension coming down so randomly. If the NFL even wants to pretend to be fair they need to do is making some actual guidelines.

1st offense of _____ costs you ______
2nd offense of ______ costs you ______
3rd offense of_______ costs you ______ and a suspension for _____

Then say, starting the day the rule is made, everybody is at square one. You violate the rules you get the punishment. Simple and fair, none of this fining whoever Goodell's office feels like, whatever they feel like. This whole Ed Reed thing is so retroactive, just like the James Harrison stuff was. Make a rule and tell people to follow it. Making a rule and then punishing people for not following that rule before you changed it, and/or what the punishments for violating it were, is asinine.

------------------------------------------------

In general I think they just need to do a better job balancing things. If they give defenses a disadvantage then they need to give one to offenses too. Loosen the rules on pass interference, allow more contact with WR's. It's so stupid that these passing records being established mean almost nothing because the NFL has changed the rules to favor the offense to the degree that 30-50 pt games are common.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

To go along with what you guys are saying, listening to talk radio this morning a local guy brought up a really good point. Where are the fines for offensive players? If they're trying to make the game safer, why is it so damn disproportionate? Why is A, B, and C being asked of defensive players but nothing is being asked of offensive players? There are simply no parallels that can be drawn in any other sport where both sides of the ball are treated SO differently when it comes to rules.

A good game is a good games...I don't care if it's a defensive battle, and high-scoring game or both.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow. The Cowboys really suck. Garrett is an even worse coach than I remember.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Maybe not. This is the guy that iced his own kicker last year -_-;
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Rex Ryan is determined not to put Tebow in no matter the score. Well, I could care less at this point their season is done and the Patriots are moving ahead.
 
Top