Question Timeskip YAY or NAY

Opinion?


  • Total voters
    18

HiggsBoson

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
22
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wanna hear people's opinion about this matter.

I personally would like to get a timeskip after 1 or 2 arcs following chapter 340 since it indeed left off with a riveting cliffhanger. Without the 340 chapter, an intital timeskip would be fine after chapter 339 snce it was so open ended. But that is not the case and we have to know what happens next. Either that or go with an initial timeskip but flashbacks and narrative will guide us with what happened beforehand.

Plus, mature Gon right here makes me cream my pants in delight:3c
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1335/60/1335605901655.jpg

How would you like the story to progress? Would you rather not see a timeskip done or are you pumped?
 
Last edited:

GingFuriksu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
409
Reaction score
217
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Uhh.... for me its both Yay and Nay : P Yay because I do want Gon and Killua to be like 15-16. They would look more badass. But Nay because almost EVERONES time skips always suck.... but then again this is Togashi... he's too good of a writer... so Idk. I have mixed feelings :|
 
Last edited:

zzigg

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
502
Reaction score
278
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall

i would rather choose not skipping........ we will regret it when the story ends

i want togashi to take his time...we are not in a hurry

though i think there will be a skip of 2 or 3 years
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,248
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell


Nay. It's a story of a twelve year old boy in a mysterious, and dark world of hunters. Gon's age (and Killua's) is a very important part of the story I think.
Also I can't see a time skip coming from Togashi.

Hmm.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I never want a substantial time-skip in HxH, it wouldn't be in Togashi's style.
 

Trunkz Jr

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yay. I would love to see Gon be around 15-16.
 

lasso

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2011
Messages
90
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
United Nations
Togashi should do hiatus skip for once :))

NAY, one of many things that attracts me in HxH is character development, and time skip kills these stuff.
 

Riruru

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Messages
182
Reaction score
298
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Nay.

Not only character development but power levels too. Everything we learned about the tiers in HxH that's been building up for several arcs would be messed up. Everyone and what they know would come back different, and you really feel like you'd missed something. It's like a huge reset button but in the opposite direction. That's the feeling time skips usually give me.

Plus Gon became a hunter to find something (that's not Ging) and also himself. He'd never hold off his search for 2 or 3 years without it seeming like a bit of a cop out.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Time skips are used by incompetent writers to reboot things, typically because they've exhausted all possibilities that they could think of and cannot conceive of a way to progress. It is also an idiotic excuse to grant characters otherwise inexplicable power ups. There is scarcely any narrative reason why one would incorporate a time skip. Interesting thing is that some shows use the time skip not even for the above reasons, but merely out of precedent.
 

HiggsBoson

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
22
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So far most of you voted NAY and for all very good reason. Personally, I leaned to the timeskip side purely out of seeing how main characters will physically look badass in the future and how be sexy their power levels have becomed compared to their former shells. But that's just it, everything will be become moot compromising the consistency and progression of the story akin to Dragonball Z (kill the next big thing and then have your offsprings kill the next big cheese and then your offspirng's offspring kill the next big potato). It does seem like a tempting notion at first but I do admit it does comes of as lazy and uninspired.

One thing is for sure. If ever there will be one, I'm hoping there better be damn frickin good reason for it or it'll become a generic, atrocious mess as mentioned from the reasons eloquently stated by the above users. Timeskip from Naruto or DBZ is one thing, a timeskip from Togashi might possibly actually be a fresh one depending on how he executes it. It doesn't have to suck and that's what I'm hoping for.

But if timeskips from time and time again has proven that it does more damage than good, then the hell with it. -> NAYAY
 
Last edited:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,248
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
You should add a poll to this discussion
 

leiatte

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
312
Reaction score
232
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Time skips are used by incompetent writers to reboot things, typically because they've exhausted all possibilities that they could think of and cannot conceive of a way to progress. It is also an idiotic excuse to grant characters otherwise inexplicable power ups. There is scarcely any narrative reason why one would incorporate a time skip. Interesting thing is that some shows use the time skip not even for the above reasons, but merely out of precedent.
I dont agree with you on that, It has its positives and negatives, you have listed some of the negatives, and I don't agree with you on exhausting all the possibilities they could think of, sometimes the author has large plot pieces they need to move, and it might be tedious or take a really long time, so they skip ahead. Some negatives are that it sets back character development, and after the initial timeskip there is alot of backtracking.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Frankly speaking I don't see a reason for HXH to have a TS.
I think that its story is completely incompatible with it.
 

heron bpv

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
391
Reaction score
254
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's possible if it's very short, like 2-6 months just to skip some boring, preparations for travel/combat stuff (regarding the expedition to the Outside World, of course). A longer one right now would be impossible, since Togashi can't just ignore chapter 340. And as much as I would like to see Gon and co. mature and get older, that would be something for real later, maybe after the current arc.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I wouldn't hate a timeskip, but I felt like a lot of the main shounen series (Naruto, Bleach, OP, Fairy Tail) all did 2 year or so time skips. I like the how Hunter is unconventional and it would take away from the story unless Togashi does it in a way where it makes sense or that. I wouldn't mind a few month time skip, but a 2 year time skip wouldn't work as well.

Hunter has already spanned a year or two since the first hunter exam, and it's not like it's completely oblivious to a time frame. Right now, it's estimated that Gon and Killua are about 13 and 14, respectively.
 

Raad

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
83
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I don't agree with some of what was said about character developpement, I think we've seen quite enough of the "innocent child facing a cruel world" aspect, and I believe it'd be a good time to take a look at the fruit of that long upbringing, what kind of man will Gon become in the future? I don't think I'm the only one who asked himself this question, and I don't mean his badassery... Of course, I'd rather see this show up gradually in a continuous timeline, but taking into account Togashi, it would be understandable to wish for it to happen sooner rather than -possibly- never.

Togashi could make a "timeskip" by writing some arcs talking about the Zodiacs vs Beyond, Kurapika and maybe even Jailo's plans' unfolding while Gon is away, but that'd still depend on Gon's goals after everything that happened in the last arc. And personally, I don't think Toga's gonna let his hero disappear for that long (though I think it could be interesting), nor that he'd do a simple abrupt timeskip...

Btw, adult Gon rocks on that drawing!
 

The Invertroid

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
236
Reaction score
136
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How old is gon and Killua in the manga currently? Maybe a large timeskip isn't even necicary to age them visually.
 

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think they are between 13-14 years. It's mostly likely 14 though.
 
Top