Question - Timeskip YAY or NAY | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Timeskip YAY or NAY

Opinion?

• Total voters

futurefrog

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
How old is gon and Killua in the manga currently? Maybe a large timeskip isn't even necicary to age them visually.
The entire events of the series has taken place over a year an a half, meaning they would both have turned 13 at one point or another given that they were both 12 at the series beginning, it was just never stated on screen that they had a birthday.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I like TS teases, but not everything. I liked the Mashima timeskip in which He made the world more powerful to be on pair with the main characters (Sorta) but in HxH that wouldn't work.
Still, some months wouldn't hurt too much. Killua travelling the world wont change that much, Gon I bet will try to find his dream and the world is shacked up to go outside. So some months skipped could be even needed.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
How old is gon and Killua in the manga currently? Maybe a large timeskip isn't even necicary to age them visually.
According to Hunterpedia (HxH wikia), Killua started at age 12 and is currently 14. Gon started at age 11 and is currently 13. I guess there is some debate as to how old they actually are and which one is the older one. Either way, Gon's 13 and Killua is 13-14, depending on whether or not he's older than Gon.

HiggsBoson

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont agree with you on that, It has its positives and negatives, you have listed some of the negatives, and I don't agree with you on exhausting all the possibilities they could think of, sometimes the author has large plot pieces they need to move, and it might be tedious or take a really long time, so they skip ahead. Some negatives are that it sets back character development, and after the initial timeskip there is alot of backtracking.
You nailed it right in the head. He was being pessimistic all the way. In all honesty, I do wanna see a timeskip and I want it to be wonderful. Togashi always deliver. Everyone thought the Ant arc was gonna suck but he sure showed them one hell of a sucker punch.

there76

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let them age on there own with a time skip.

ish3

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No one seems to mention how a timeskip would effect Leorio or Kuripika. I'm more interested in what Leorio would do fitting towards the story after he became a doctor he'd definitely be seen more seeing his studying would be done with. Kuripika idk he could go two routes which at the moment seems to lean towards the latter closing off his friends to a point of complete revenge. He might annihilate most of the Genei Ryodan and feel dissatisfied as if it's not enough. I hope he remembers what his true dream is because that's what's worth living.

Killua and Gon will def have the most shocking developments in terms of maturity I'm more interested especially Gon. As far as their ages go I have a question. It was said in one of the translations during the chimera ant arc that Gon was still 11? I'm not sure if it's true it wouldn't make sense since I see him being at least 12 by now anyone have any definite answer on Leorio Kuripika Gon and Killua's ages according to the current story line?

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Leorio. He's the only person I'd like to see a more lengthy timeskip for. I'm going to have to say nay for Kurapika. We saw him in chapter 339 and he looked like a different person from before, and I'm interested to see what he's like now after not seeing him for about a year.

As far as their ages go I have a question. It was said in one of the translations during the chimera ant arc that Gon was still 11? I'm not sure if it's true it wouldn't make sense since I see him being at least 12 by now anyone have any definite answer on Leorio Kuripika Gon and Killua's ages according to the current story line?
The one I read said Gon was 12, and that's when he went on the date with Palm. Gon started out at age 11 in the Hunter Exam, and his birthday's in May. So sometime during Heaven's Arena he turned 12, and he's been 12 through Greed Island and the Ant Arc. He would have turned 13 sometime during the end of the Ant Arc, as the election arc took place approximately a year after Heaven's Arena in HxH time. Since everyone had their birthdays around the same time, it can be assumed that our main four are 2 years older than they were when they met during the exam. Gon's 13, Killua's 14 (or 13 depending on how you interpret the manga), Leorio's 21, and Kurapika's 19.

GingFuriksu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mmhm ^ All true. Its been one year and 8 months since the Hunter exam arc.

PS - I think Killua is 13 : P Idk why, its either or though.

Kazna

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Didn't we already have a timeskip for Kurapika :3c? And Leorio too. Haven't seen them for a year since the YS arc, right?

Btw, Gon's birthday is in May, and Killua's in July, but who's younger? Many seem to take that Killua's 10 months older than Gon, is there any evidence for that?

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on how you interpret the manga. Gon introduces himself as being almost 12 when he meets Killua, and Killua says "just like me". This could either imply that he's also almost 12, or that he's 12 already. But then during Heaven's arena, he says he was sent there by his father at the age of 6 and was there for 2 years before he reached floor 200, when he was around 8. And when he's there with Zushi and Gon, he says he left 4 years ago. Hunterpedia (HxH wikia) says he's 14, and I personally think he's 14, but it doesn't really matter too much in terms of the series, nor is it really relevant.

Last edited:

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I liked the Mashima timeskip in which He made the world more powerful to be on pair with the main characters (Sorta)
Wow, it's really interesting to see how opinions can differ (I'm the complete opposite). But let's not start talking about other mangas or comparisons.

I wouldn't have a problem with a timeskip per se. The problem is that I have made bad experiences with timeskips so far. Just to name some of them (without going into detail):
  • Fairy Tails timeskip was an absolute no-go for me
  • Naruto Part 2 started good, but went downhill after/during the Pain arc imo
  • the first two arcs of One Piece (after the timeskip) really disappointed me

While I'm confident that Togashi could indeed handle a timeskip, I'm afraid of Togashis note in the last chapter before the timeskip:

"Next chapter we will have a 3 year timeskip.
Starting next issue, this manga will be on a hiatus for 30 years in order for me to prepare everything. Stay tuned!"

:derp

DraMas26

Reaction score
Country
Albania
Yeah lol I forgot that Togashi will probably use the timeskip as an excuse to go on an even bigger hiatus. He'll say he needs time to give them new character designs lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing a timeskip and after Chapter 339 I think a timeskip would make much sense. It basically concludees the first part of HxH as Gon finally acheives his goal of finding his father. Now he needs a new goal and new goal = timeskip from what I've usually seen. In a way almost all the 4 main protagonists have somewhat achieved their goals so far. Killua got a friend, Leorio is going to become a doctor, Kurapika has gotten a lot of his clan's eyes back.

Togashi has never done a timeskip before in any series he has written so I really want to see his approach to it.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Nay, Togashi doesn't seem to be the Time Skip type but a couple months wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't like for years to have gone by, that would suck.
The world is in a frenzy bout Koukin going into the Dark continent, Zodiacs have to decide to hunt him or not, Gon is presumably trying to find a new adventure, Killua is traveling with his lil Bro.....The manga starting 2-3 months after that last chapter with Beyond being hunted or other Characters proceeding on to something else wouldn't be bad at all.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm mostly nay on timeskips but they can be useful.

I'm mostly nay because not only do I like the fact that Gon's a kid in a dangerous world and having him suddenly be 16 would ruin it for me, but I haven't exactly heard a really fantastic timeskip going well recently if at all...

Small unimportant rant
I haven't seen all of the DB series but I'm well aware of what happens at that point, I haven't heard much good from naruto's timeskip, which isn't reassuring for someone who's finally going to give the series a chance, and as much as I believe OP will get better, it started of quite bad so there isn't much I can say to defend it at the momment.

Fairy tail's time'jump' just flat out sucks, I have no regrets dropping that series.

The only possible good thing I see in any timeskip is that Leorio will be out of medical school and he can be more involved in the story in SOME WAY! (his presence in the election arc however was appriciated and enjoyed, even though I'm not quite sure how that'll stack up for future events.)

Togashi being Togashi he'll probably do something to throw us all in for a loop, so I guess we'll just have to see which side of the bed he wakes up on when we get off Hiatus.

Riruru

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So far most of you voted NAY and for all very good reason. Personally, I leaned to the timeskip side purely out of seeing how main characters will physically look badass in the future and how be sexy their power levels have becomed compared to their former shells. But that's just it, everything will be become moot compromising the consistency and progression of the story akin to Dragonball Z (kill the next big thing and then have your offsprings kill the next big cheese and then your offspirng's offspring kill the next big potato). It does seem like a tempting notion at first but I do admit it does comes of as lazy and uninspired.
Not all of them are horribly wrong. I think the timeskip in One Piece didn't do any damage, but that's just it. It's there and barely contributed to the plot. Other than giving Nami bigger boobs and missed opportunity of Luffy magically mastering Haki instead of us actually seeing it progress. But in the end if you ever look back and wonder what the heck everyone was doing for 2 years, then that's a problem. And I've never watched a series where I didn't think that before.

I don't agree with some of what was said about character developpement, I think we've seen quite enough of the "innocent child facing a cruel world" aspect, and I believe it'd be a good time to take a look at the fruit of that long upbringing, what kind of man will Gon become in the future? I don't think I'm the only one who asked himself this question, and I don't mean his badassery... Of course, I'd rather see this show up gradually in a continuous timeline, but taking into account Togashi, it would be understandable to wish for it to happen sooner rather than -possibly- never.
Age doesn't really have much to do with that. Actually if Gon comes back after a timeskip and is drastically changed from how he is now, that innocent naive kid that we've apparently seen enough of, I would be pretty pissed. Not because he changed per say, but that the author decided to crop out half of his character development because it wasn't important to the plot or something.

ish3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please refrain from mentioning OP for "example timeskips". Unlike most mangaka Oda waited 13 years and he's the slow turtle of manga. In short he slowly and delicately develops the plot and characters. So even if time passed because he didn't want to show training arcs more than likely their will be flashes back into what they'd learned. Fishman Island is the reintro punk hazard was the starter and I'm expecting a huge wave of flashy bouts and battles from 2013 and on. Those who are OP fans know to be patient with plot but I will admit I was expecting him to do the story a little different this time. Sorry for the off topic ness.

HxH is a profound story. I forgot who said it but whoever said "Togashi doesn't do timeskips" must have never read Yu Yu Hakusho. I will say that was forced though seeing it was a completely different time contract and he didn't get along with wsj but still. It's been done before. I think through his arcs he'd prefer these characters slowly grow throughout. We might get a short one during this outside world exploration though. I'd say eight ten months maybe.

drsckarasu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
In a possible timeskip Gin joins Beyond crew and they will go to the dark continent where even they, with their great power fail and disappear obscurity. Back returns only one who miraculously survived and passes the news that they all were killed by some monsters, and that they was wrong in their expedition and goals. But Gon doesn't believe that Jin dead, he wants to find him and save him. In timeskip Gon gathers a team to go there and find his dad. So after timeskip we see grown up Gon with his gang, that ready to enter the dark continent.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think a timeskip would only work if there would be something else filling in the story...let's say take an arc that would last 1 year in manga time...and don't focus on everyone...and after the arc ends show the results of the timeskip...much like how Leorio was treated I guess, even Kurapika...