Fall NFL Thread

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

That was NFC East football how it's supposed to be played! Last night was a game Gibbs and Parcells would have recognized, especially the second half. I'm not thinking about the playoffs yet, to much has to happen, we need to much help. I'm excited to see the Redskins relevant again, for the first time in ages the Skins are actually fun to watch. That is what RG3 has really meant to DC, this team is exciting again. A great win too, the offensive line was masterful; 207 yards rushing, no sacks. RG3 may have been the star, but I'm glad Alfred Morris had the chance to shine nationally. He's a beast, tied with Doug Martin for most rushing yards by a rookie (3rd overall).

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Reddit co-founder, and University of Virginia alum, Alexis Ohanian popping his RG3 jersey at last nights game.

 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

That was NFC East football how it's supposed to be played! Last night was a game Gibbs and Parcells would have recognized, especially the second half. I'm not thinking about the playoffs yet, to much has to happen, we need to much help. I'm excited to see the Redskins relevant again, for the first time in ages the Skins are actually fun to watch. That is what RG3 has really meant to DC, this team is exciting again. A great win too, the offensive line was masterful; 207 yards rushing, no sacks. RG3 may have been the star, but I'm glad Alfred Morris had the chance to shine nationally. He's a beast, tied with Doug Martin for most rushing yards by a rookie (3rd overall).

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Reddit co-founder, and University of Virginia alum, Alexis Ohanian popping his RG3 jersey at last nights game.

kaiten...u talk like u are older than me...wat u know about the old school gibbs vs parcells...


i agree,alfred morris is just outta nowhere and beasting...garcon is coming along as well as the rest of the WRs....

also,they gave eli 11mins to do something...and the D really showed up...wish u guys luck...i kinda always doug the redskins(doug williams)
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Unfortunate that RG3 got hit like that, but it is the Ravens, a team known for hard hits. Some Ravens player (the same guy who injured Welker a few seasons before when the guy played for another team) wrecked Gronk last season.

Thankfully, it didn't cost the Redskins the game.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Unfortunate that RG3 got hit like that, but it is the Ravens, a team known for hard hits. Some Ravens player (the same guy who injured Welker a few seasons before when the guy played for another team) wrecked Gronk last season.

Thankfully, it didn't cost the Redskins the game.
Known for hard hits? :XD I think reputation exceeds reality if we had stats on fines on defensive players. I think Pollard was the one that injured Gronkowski, the same guy who ended Brady's season some years ago.

Ngata's hit was legal, Griffin wasn't playing smart there at all...slide dude.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Known for hard hits? :XD I think reputation exceeds reality if we had stats on fines on defensive players. I think Pollard was the one that injured Gronkowski, the same guy who ended Brady's season some years ago.

Ngata's hit was legal, Griffin wasn't playing smart there at all...slide dude.
Yeah, it was Pollard.

Well, it's true that the Steelers are fined much more often than the Ravens; I was insinuating that the Ravens make choicer hard hits, and don't make overly blatant illegal hits on defenseless receivers like James Harrison does, but that doesn't make them any less of a hard hitting team. Ray Lewis definitely attempts to light people up at times. :derp

Nowhere did I say that Ngata's hit wasn't legal. I just said that it was excessively hard. Griffin should've slid, but Ngata would've hit him just as hard whether or not Griffin had slid. I'm also not saying that Ngata was trying to injure him, but that the Ravens are a hard hitting team. We've seen defensive players attempt to hammer running QBs this season, not on the Ravens, but across the league. Defensive players need to find ways to get their hits in on the QB now, and sometimes it happens in unfortunate ways like today.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, it was Pollard.

Well, it's true that the Steelers are fined much more often than the Ravens; I was insinuating that the Ravens make choicer hard hits, and don't make overly blatant illegal hits on defenseless receivers like James Harrison does, but that doesn't make them any less of a hard hitting team. Ray Lewis definitely attempts to light people up at times. :derp

Nowhere did I say that Ngata's hit wasn't legal. I just said that it was excessively hard. Griffin should've slid, but Ngata would've hit him just as hard whether or not Griffin had slid. I'm also not saying that Ngata was trying to injure him, but that the Ravens are a hard hitting team. We've seen defensive players attempt to hammer running QBs this season, not on the Ravens, but across the league. Defensive players need to find ways to get their hits in on the QB now, and sometimes it happens in unfortunate ways like today.
Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. Part of me wonders when the point that game becomes a shell of what it once was with all these rule changes...
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. Part of me wonders when the point that game becomes a shell of what it once was with all these rule changes...
Yeah, as much as the game is "safer" these days, it doesn't feel like the same game anymore. It was unfortunate that Griffin got injured, but if the rules didn't hinder defensive players so much, we probably wouldn't be in this situation today. It is better that concussions are dealt with much better nowadays, but the offensive side of the game has gotten much freer and bigger at the expense of the defensive side.

Hopefully Griffin will be okay, or commentators will start having discussions about whether or not you should even be able to touch a QB once he's become a runner.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, as much as the game is "safer" these days, it doesn't feel like the same game anymore. It was unfortunate that Griffin got injured, but if the rules didn't hinder defensive players so much, we probably wouldn't be in this situation today. It is better that concussions are dealt with much better nowadays, but the offensive side of the game has gotten much freer and bigger at the expense of the defensive side.

Hopefully Griffin will be okay, or commentators will start having discussions about whether or not you should even be able to touch a QB once he's become a runner.
I would like to think this is part of some sort of cycle. Commentators have to be more vocal, but Goodell speaking about removing kickoffs entirely...I just got nauseous.

The game is fluid, rules change, all in hopes of improving the product. But these sort of things, it's just TOO much.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I would like to think this is part of some sort of cycle. Commentators have to be more vocal, but Goodell speaking about removing kickoffs entirely...I just got nauseous.

The game is fluid, rules change, all in hopes of improving the product. But these sort of things, it's just TOO much.
Everyone disagreed with moving up the kicking team, and that's taken the return game out of the game for the most part. Goodell's just awful, and him wanting to remove kickoffs entirely would be drastically changing the game. Don't forget that he wants freaking 18 game seasons. *shakes head*

Yeah, there are positive rule changes, but more often than not, Goodell's rule changes have been anything but good.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Everyone disagreed with moving up the kicking team, and that's taken the return game out of the game for the most part. Goodell's just awful, and him wanting to remove kickoffs entirely would be drastically changing the game. Don't forget that he wants freaking 18 game seasons. *shakes head*

Yeah, there are positive rule changes, but more often than not, Goodell's rule changes have been anything but good.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's SOOO obvious that the League's stance on fining for brutal hits and these added penalties are not just to make the game safer, they're also trying to dampen their liability in the numerous pending lawsuits they have by former players. Them wanting to increase the schedule is enough of a contradiction that it forces you to look elsewhere.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I just think it's silly that they only fix the stuff that helps the offense.

Zone cut blocking injures defensive players, the NFL has known this for years. Does the NFL care? No.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I just think it's silly that they only fix the stuff that helps the offense.

Zone cut blocking injures defensive players, the NFL has known this for years. Does the NFL care? No.
That's because the "safety" issue is just lip-service. The real motives are obvious - money.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's SOOO obvious that the League's stance on fining for brutal hits and these added penalties are not just to make the game safer, they're also trying to dampen their liability in the numerous pending lawsuits they have by former players. Them wanting to increase the schedule is enough of a contradiction that it forces you to look elsewhere.
Yeah, and it's just representative of more of Goodell's hypocrisy. The attempt to put on a better PR face is completely contradicted by putting the players in even more of harm's way by wanting to make them play two games.

Let's not forget that beer and alcohol corporations are some of the NFL's biggest sponsors, and instead of trying to do anything about alcohol education for their players, the NFL does nothing and then when something like the Cowboys' latest debacle occurs, instead of doing anything about it, we all get to talk about the NFL just sits by. I was watching Sports Reporters earlier, and then they mentioned the exact same issue about how many times we've seen drunk driving with NFL players and nothing's done, but there's a single player who has a gun incident and it's a massive problem. Damn hypocrisy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, and it's just representative of more of Goodell's hypocrisy. The attempt to put on a better PR face is completely contradicted by putting the players in even more of harm's way by wanting to make them play two games.

Let's not forget that beer and alcohol corporations are some of the NFL's biggest sponsors, and instead of trying to do anything about alcohol education for their players, the NFL does nothing and then when something like the Cowboys' latest debacle occurs, instead of doing anything about it, we all get to talk about the NFL just sits by. I was watching Sports Reporters earlier, and then they mentioned the exact same issue about how many times we've seen drunk driving with NFL players and nothing's done, but there's a single player who has a gun incident and it's a massive problem. Damn hypocrisy.
I don't know how much I buy into the "Role Model" aspect of professional athletes, but you see these things all the time. Juxtaposing this sort of thing with how arbitrary Goodell seems at time with disciplinary action just leads to a blurred picture.

I liked Goodell at first, he ruled with an iron fist and did a lot of things right. But this far into his tenure I think he's just gone too far.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I never liked Goodell.

I'm all in favor of promoting player safety and such but his way of enacting such things is to strong arm NFLPA instead of working with them. I realize he works for the owners but as the commissioner of the NFL his first priority should be teams and players that make the NFL what it is. As well as respecting where the roots of what the game of Football is when changes are made to the rules. The ref thing was just another example of how he, and many of the owners, just don't care about the integrity of the game.

He and the league office have gotten into the habit of scapegoating and strong-arming players in a way that is completely unacceptable to me as well.

--------------------------------------------------------

The 18 game schedule thing is just absurd and I'm proud to say the owner of the Steelers said as much.


Unlike many owners, the elder Rooney is staunchly against expanding the regular season to 18 games, which is an issue in the current negotiations. Many players feel that would be too punishing to their bodies and would significantly shorten their careers.

"I would rather not get the money" than expand the regular season, Rooney said.

"You have a system that works, so why add them?" he said. "Now the people usually say, 'The preseason doesn't work.' Well, look at the preseason as the preseason and try to work that out. Don't say you're going to start messing with the full system."


- From The Los Angeles Times​

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

And I would like to offer a heartfelt congratulations to the Raven's fans of the world. Your free from Cam Cameron's play calling at last.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Gary, thoughts on the Ravens firing Cam Cameron and replacing him with the QB Coach, Jim Caldwell?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Gary, thoughts on the Ravens firing Cam Cameron and replacing him with the QB Coach, Jim Caldwell?
I had nothing to do all day, there was a scheduled power outage all day in my neighborhood. I got the text with the news and was pretty surprised. I was not a fan of Cam Cameron. I liked the hire at first due to his association with Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers, but if you look at it, both of them got better after him being their coordinator. I think the consistency in the position has been a good thing for Joe and the offense. Not every young QB is afforded that opportunity.

The timing is a bit odd. It sort of reminds me of when Billick fired Jim Fassel and it resulted in a 13-3 record. We did lose to the Colts that year at home without them scoring a touchdown. The only difference is how late n the year it happened. You don't typically see this from a winning team, much less a 9-4 team.

Another thing that is odd is Caldwell hasn't called plays since he coached in college, so that's a big question mark. Harbaugh's influence in the offensive gameplan is sort of an unknown commodity, as he made a name for himself as a Special Teams and Defensive position coach. So I'm not really sure. Typically teams respond well to this sort of thing, and we'll need to in order to keep pace in the AFC, with games against Denver, the Giants, and the Bengals to close out the season. I feel safe saying that a 1st Round bye probably isn't in the cards for us this season, given how this game tonight is going and who we have left to play.

Though, with how the defense has been playing, I wonder if the only reason DC Dean Pees still has a job is because of the injuries on that side of the ball. It has been just as underwhelming, if not more.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Caldwall didn't call plays in Indy when he was the head coach? I thought he was their OC, or is he a defensive guy? I've forgotten, but I had thought that he was an OC.

Assuming the Patriots don't choke away a four TD lead here, the Pats move up to second in the AFC and if the Texans lose again, the Pats get first, which probably means that a first round bye isn't going to happen for the Ravens this season.

Dean Pees isn't responsible for how awfully the defense has played this season because of how many injures there have been (although I think that he could've done more with them), but they have been bad. We'll see, but I think it's easier to fire your OC than your DC in this situation as if you fire your DC, the defense might start thinking that you've completely lost confidence in them, and that can't be good for any of them.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

The Texans are once again getting exposed :mono don't think I'm going to watch this game anymore. It's no longer interesting now, and the Patriots have a big enough lead.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Caldwall didn't call plays in Indy when he was the head coach? I thought he was their OC, or is he a defensive guy? I've forgotten, but I had thought that he was an OC.

Assuming the Patriots don't choke away a four TD lead here, the Pats move up to second in the AFC and if the Texans lose again, the Pats get first, which probably means that a first round bye isn't going to happen for the Ravens this season.

Dean Pees isn't responsible for how awfully the defense has played this season because of how many injures there have been (although I think that he could've done more with them), but they have been bad. We'll see, but I think it's easier to fire your OC than your DC in this situation as if you fire your DC, the defense might start thinking that you've completely lost confidence in them, and that can't be good for any of them.
His first job in the NFL was as a QB Coach in Tampa. Then he was with the Colts until this year. I don't think the Colts had an OC, but if they did, he wasn't it. He was a QB Coach and Assistant HC until he got the Head Coaching job in succession of Dungy. Consider who he coached as well, Manning is his own OC :p

You guys still have to play the 49ers, but I thought this game would at least be competitive, so I don't know what to say about that one on Sunday night...Well, any given Sunday. Jacksonville should be an easy win, and Miami is a game they SHOULD win, but it's a divisional game so I don't know. They're being dominant at the right time though.

Houston has Indy twice, a very hot team and Minnesota. I would expect them to respond well, but I could see them going 1-2 down the stretch. If the Patriots can have success running the ball on Houston, I see no reason why Adrian Peterson can't. The team is extremely talented, but they don't have winning in their blood. Schaub has no playoff experience, their defense seems to play worse every week. Even if those things go well, Denver would have to lose twice as well, which is unlikely given they play Cleveland and KC. I guess it's good we're playing them at home this week, but I have no idea what to expect for that game...no clue.


Of course Pees is responsible, he's in charge of the Defense. You take injuries into account, but this team doesn't make excuses. We practically invented "Next Man Up", John Feinstein wrote the book on that. What I'm saying is that the injuries are the reason his job might not be in jeopardy.

And I can't agree with which coordinator is more damaging to fire, as it means you've lost confidence in either side of the ball. The defense has pride, they aren't BAD, as they've kept us in games in key spots, but they only have glimpses of domination.
 
Top