Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
didnt know the price would change that much in france. usually they sell the same in u.s. and japan depending on the publisher as u know (or minute differences). this was good to learn. thank you. but still OP managed to outsell every1 handily . that is an anomaly. i just cant think it happens anywhere else.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
November 19th - November 25th Jump Comic Sales

11 -- *,*64,481 2,560,402 *5 - ONE PIECE 68
20 -- *,*38,006 *,361,695 *5 - Assassination Classroom 1

(I'm just doing posting these for the sake of Assassination Classroom at this point. It far surpassed anything that came after Death Note in its first volume sales.)
:wtf I wonder if it'll still be on the Oricon charts by the time volume 2 gets released. That'll be interesting to see for sure.

I don't think we should be comparing AssClass to something like Death Note quite so soon. :lmao All that matters is that it is popular, and that popularity is enough to make Jump campaign it as aggressively as possible.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2013

*4. Haikyuu!!
*6. Kuroko no Basket
*7. Kinnikuman
15. One Peice
18. Nisekoi
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
^

Where can I see the rankings?

Anyway seeing Nisekoi there makes me happy :P HK! really high.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh. So we're done with the "collage" pictures on the spine now? They've been going for a while, if I remember right. Last year was Kochikame, right?
So it looks like we're just gonna do some kinda replication of part of the cover every time now.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Oh. So we're done with the "collage" pictures on the spine now? They've been going for a while, if I remember right. Last year was Kochikame, right?
So it looks like we're just gonna do some kinda replication of part of the cover every time now.
Nah, Kochikame was 2011, celebrating its 35th year of serialization. Last year we already had that ever-changing spine motive. Which is weird, seeing how JUMP in fact celebrates its 45th anniversary this year. I thought they might pull something special in regards to that...
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2013

*4. Haikyuu!!
*6. Kuroko no Basket
*7. Kinnikuman
15. One Peice
18. Nisekoi
I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised by Kinnikuman being there. I mean I am literally editing myself singing its praises as I speak (and reading volume... 41? Yes, that), but even with that amount of love I wouldn't have called that.

Outside of that (fantastic) oddity, I've gotta love all the lists up from that. some unconventional and brilliant series in there
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Well, it happened. I don't think its ever happened before in the history of Comiket, and that says a lot on how absurd this is. Comiket bars all Kuroko Circles from attending C83. That's a loss of about 900 circles.

I have to admit, I was speechless. Not that this will stop Kuroko's popularity, nor hinder it in any way...but for something to be so massively popular, and for the threats to be so serious is just such a clusterfuck.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Um... No, I think that might actually screw over Kuroko a huge amount. Speechless
 

DraMas26

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2012
Messages
313
Reaction score
219
Gender
Hidden
Country
Albania
I have to really question the Japanese police. How can somebody keep sending letters like this and not get caught?

By now I would have expected them to have caught this crook but the Mangaka is still getting death threats.

Maybe they should just make all the events and stuff overseas now lol. There probably isn't a big fanbase outside of Japan for Kuroko No Basket but it's better than nothing.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I have to really question the Japanese police. How can somebody keep sending letters like this and not get caught?

By now I would have expected them to have caught this crook but the Mangaka is still getting death threats.
Extremely easily. Shortly after 9-11, letters containing Anthrax were sent to several US politicians and journalists. More than ten years later the case remains unsolved, the culprit at large, and motive unknown. It's not as if the culprit is sending letters from their home address, under their real name :XD
 
Last edited:

外国人

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
67
Reaction score
108
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Extremely easily. Shortly after 9-11, letters containing Anthrax were sent to several US politicians and journalists. More than ten years later the case remains unsolved, the culprit at large, and motive unknown. It's not as if the culprit is sending letters from their home address, under their real name :XD
Actually, that case has been solved. XD But yeah, it's also like the case of the unabomber. That case was a huge deal for the FBI, and it took them over two decades to catch him. So it's understandable that they haven't caught them yet.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
There's no direct evidence Ivins was the sole perpetrator. The US Government settled out of court with his widow for $2.5 million with no claim of liability, to avoid further litigation. A review board at the National Academy of Science called into doubt that Ivin was the perpetrator, and that their was insufficient evidence that the Anthrax originated from Ivin's lab. In addition, Ivin committed suicide while under surveillance, he was not named the sole perpetrated until after his death. He never stood trial, and remains nothing more than a suspect. The FBI declared the case close and have conducted no further investigation.


Getting a little off-topic there, now aren't we? xD //~Prince
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Haikyuu!! vol. 1~3: 1,000,000
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT YES OKAY COOL

A well-deserved success for Furudate
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
That's pretty much Toriko level for Hq!! already. I still remember the exact same announcement back in Toriko's early stages of the series. Great achievement by Furudate! Honestly, who would have thought the guy who got sacked with his quirky Yotsuya-senpai would come back with a sport series of all things and make it this big...? Amazing. :nod
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
The editor of Haikyuu!! (male) will be walking around Jump Feista this year dressed up as the female manager from Haikyuu!!, Shimizu (female) and will be giving away some goodies related to the series if you tell him the keyword.

Because this Shimizu is a fake, he (she) unlike the original character will have a beard.... :gwah
 
Last edited:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm writing a paper for school about what affects popularity in shounen/seinen manga, and I want to include a section about the WSJ table of contents. The thing is, I know how the ranking system works, but I can't actually find any sources that can prove it. I know that they mentioned it in Bakuman, and I think I heard something once about Oda confirming that Baku's explanation was legit, but I can't find either one of those.

TL;DR: Can someone help me find the chapter(s) in Bakuman where they explain the ToC system, and anything that proves its legitimacy? Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top