Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraMas26

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2012
Messages
313
Reaction score
219
Gender
Hidden
Country
Albania
As far as I know there are no official sources of how the TOC works so you'll have a tough time proving its legitimacy. Bakuman is just a manga so it's not an official source. I think Oda jsut said something like the editor's word is greater than the total number of votes or something like that?
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In Bakuman their system is based off of ACTUAL results that the editors tell the authors. That's based on the early results which come out a couple days after the issue goes on sale and the real deal which comes out a week after. Those are slightly skewed for the TOC, what with color pages and all. But the TOC is more of a guideline for popularity, rather than specific scientific data. Plus, even the real deals are based off of only a 1,000 vote sample.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In Bakuman their system is based off of ACTUAL results that the editors tell the authors. That's based on the early results which come out a couple days after the issue goes on sale and the real deal which comes out a week after. Those are slightly skewed for the TOC, what with color pages and all. But the TOC is more of a guideline for popularity, rather than specific scientific data. Plus, even the real deals are based off of only a 1,000 vote sample.
Well, I know that it's heavily skewed by the editors, like how Medaka Box keeps geting color pages (not that I'm complaining about that). What I'm really wondering is how everyone knows how the ToC works. I learnt how through word of mouth, but the information had to have started somewhere. Worst case scenario, I can just say that Bakuman gives an example of how it could work, although I'd still need to look for the chapter where they introduce that concept.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's from 2ch. The idea was just expanded upon and clarified in Bakuman from the author's perspective. This doesn't mean it's gospel, but what has been said has panned out time and time again. It's not as if any other explanation makes more sense, much less another one even being offered.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
In a nutshell.
The rank shown on each issue is the rank of the chapter shown 8 chapters ago. Exceptions are of course new series ( less than 8 chapters), unless they really, really do bad on the preliminary results, series with less than 8 chapters are just put on random spots, though its likely they get a color page in chapter 3, 4 or 5.
This is almost confirmed because almost each time a great or particular chapter appears, 8 weeks later that manga ranks well.
I find comeplling evidence in hokuto no ken, said by bakuman to be the 1st chapter with most votes ever IIRC around 800. 8 weeks later (chapter 9) ranks 1st 2nd ifbyou count color pages).
Alsonyeah, Oda did say so himself.. that's how they do it.

Other exceptions are pimped mangas that get a bazillion color pages, Toiko at its early months, Bleach before falling a lot (IIRC the last couple of volumes with espadas?), and with the popularity ofseasonal anime of jump properties i.e if Kuroko gets a season 2 it will get lots of CP.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
the problem here's sourcing, right? Because... there isn't a source provable enough for it.

But the Bakuman stuff is brought up within the first two volumes, I believe, so there's that.

Mostly though it's unreliable and awkward, so I wouldn't recommend it for any work that needs citations


On the Haikyuu front, I'm not sure what to think about the Jump Festa thing. It's a super fun idea, and clearly not a diss on crossdressers, but some sorts would probably get up in arms about it.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
That's not what he asked. He wants written sources and there are none that are official as far as I know. Even bakuman, I don't remember it has ever said anything about the 8 weeks.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Haikyuu!! vol. 1~3: 1,000,000


---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

639 :1015 ◆GwoDyEGSIY :2012/12/11(火) 22:08:28.90 ID:pqpjFQIb0
めだかボックス ドベ1
伊達先輩      ドベ9
Jump Issue #3 early info
- Medaka Box is in last place
- Retsu!! Date-senpai is 9th from the bottom
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm writing a paper for school about what affects popularity in shounen/seinen manga, and I want to include a section about the WSJ table of contents. The thing is, I know how the ranking system works, but I can't actually find any sources that can prove it. I know that they mentioned it in Bakuman, and I think I heard something once about Oda confirming that Baku's explanation was legit, but I can't find either one of those.

TL;DR: Can someone help me find the chapter(s) in Bakuman where they explain the ToC system, and anything that proves its legitimacy? Thanks!
I dont know if u can actually use a manga page for a citation or not but this is the chapter you r looking for.


also i think if you want to write something about jump toc legitamacy your best bet would be to search japanese college libraries . or if u can get your prof. to sign on it u might even try to go directly to the source though that usually is easier said than done.hope the chapter helps...
 

DraMas26

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2012
Messages
313
Reaction score
219
Gender
Hidden
Country
Albania
TOC is out:

◆Kaze/dDnrcMd :2012/12/12(水) 14:22:35.79 ID:6ZBOPkG0 03
ワンピ
黒子
トリコ
斉木
ナルト
ニセコイ
暗杀 C
食戟
ハイキュー
鰤
伊达
べるぜ C
ハングリー
スケット
キルコ
クロス
银魂
クロガネ
亀
めだか
04・05
表纸巻头 ワンピ
C ハイキュー、特别読切クロクロク/中村充志 47P
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
◆Kaze/dDnrcMd :2012/12/12(水) 14:22:35.79 ID:6ZBOPkG0 03
ワンピ
黒子
トリコ
斉木
ナルト
ニセコイ
暗杀 C
食戟
ハイキュー
鰤
伊达
べるぜ C
ハングリー
スケット
キルコ
クロス
银魂
クロガネ
亀
めだか
04・05
表纸巻头 ワンピ
C ハイキュー、特别読切クロクロク/中村充志 47P
Jump #03 (17/12) :
One Piece (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Naruto
Nisekoi
Assassination Classroom (Color Page)
Shokugeki no Souma
Hq!!
Bleach
Retsu!! Date Senpai
Beelzebub (Color Page)
Hungry Joker
Sket Dance
Shinmai Furei Kiruko-san
Cross Manage
Gintama
Kurogane
Kochikame
Medaka Box
Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

#04・05:
Cover & Lead CP: One Piece
CP: Hq!!, Kuro Kuroko / Nakamura Atsushi (One Shot, 47 pg.)
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Poor Medaka Box! On the other hand, Hungry Joker and Kiruko-san look like flops, so they'll be the sacrificial lambs that save Medaka/Kurogane/Cross Manage for the time being.

I love how the top of the TOC is starting to drastically change from the way it used to be. It's a nice change.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Poor Medaka Box! On the other hand, Hungry Joker and Kiruko-san look like flops, so they'll be the sacrificial lambs that save Medaka/Kurogane/Cross Manage for the time being.

I love how the top of the TOC is starting to drastically change from the way it used to be. It's a nice change.
These two are unranked so you can't really say anything about them yet. Senpai is a TOC UFO, it's the 2d time it has a surprising rank. I'm wandering what it will mean for medaka box though. Can it escape the next cancellation round. I doubt it if more than 2 series are chosen
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't really make it out, but... is that Gon on the Jump NEXT cover? I don't remember reading anything about HXH being in Jump NEXT, but more is always better! Unless it moves there permanently like Nura did... (although I guess we'd still get chapters more frequently that way :P).

EDIT: Alright, it's definitely Gon. Not sure what it says though, the text is really small.
 
Last edited:

Haato

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
64
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
huh...I was expecting Kiruko to do a lot better considering how much fanart and such it received
I know it isn't technically ranked yet, but it still seems like it was placed pretty low in comparison

But as stated, if it becomes a sacrificial lamb toward Medaka Box then I'll be more than happy~
(tho I really like Kiruko's character design~~)


but still...Medaka dead last.....my heart just can't take that..... ;_;
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
By the 8 chapters theory, toriko chapter is the fruit basket one so it's a bit disapointing to not see it first
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
WSJ is making an announcement about Kuroko no Basuke at Jump Festa. Anyone know what this says?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top