Shounen - Yozakura Quartet by Suzuhito Yasuda | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Yozakura Quartet by Suzuhito Yasuda

RaveDragon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malta

Yozakura Quartet
Genre: Magic, School Life, Slice of Life, Super Power, Supernatural
By: Yasuda Suzuhito
Year of Release: 2006-ongoing
Serialized in: Monthly Shōnen Sirius
Publisher: Kodansha

Akina, Hime, Kotoha, and Ao are four members of the Hiizumi Seikatsu Soudan Jimusho (Hiizumi s Everyday-life Consultation Office), which, in addition to helping kindergarteners deal with tough times, strives to preserve the peace of their little town, Sakurashin, by hunting down the troublemakers who dare threaten it.

Author:
Suzuhito Yasuda
A Japanese manga artist and illustrator. He most recognized for illustrating the light novels series Durarara!! and Kamisama Kazoku both adapted into anime series,and for being the original creator of the manga series Yozakura Quartet which was also adapted into a anime series.
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuhito_Yasuda

The manga has been licensed by Del Rey in English but unfortunately Del Rey is no longer so hopefully Kodansha will pick this up soon and republish it ^^

My thoughts with no spoilers:
The art is is one of the best I've seen, the story is cute and later on gets very exciting and i have no idea why its not popular, don't be fooled by the covers (which are amazing IMO) its not a music manga if you read the genre you'll understand. The characters are very likable and the plot is interesting with some nice twists and even romance (a nice add in a shonen) but not too much ^^ so I'll just give a bit of a summary now which i think you shouldn't read since it gives a lot of spoilers but if you're like me and spoilers get you interested here you go;

The story revolves on Hime (The teen mayor), Ao, Kotoha the three supergirls and Akina a seemingly normal guy who is more than he seems, as they protect their beloved town Sakurashin. They run an an office called Hiizumi Life Counseling Office, where their job is to help and protect the townspeople of Sakurashin, a town where humans and youkai co-exist with one another. With thier numerous friends the 'gods' Yae the towns land goddess, her older brother Yuhi whose the guardian deity of Mariebelle an ancestor of the town doctor and star Juri, Touka and Kyosuke the Oni, Rin the 'zombie' and the various townfolk both humand and not. Each of them has their own set of problems however;
Hime who has taken care of the town as Mayor since she was 9 burdened herself to protect it. But she holds a secret in order to save her beloved town and townsfolk.
Ao whose big brother Gin set of on a journey to help out but was possessed and his body comes back as the main villian Enjin. She is a mind reading Youkai
Akina who is responsible to 'tune' the fallen beings (humans possessed by youkai) and youkai an ability that can send back youkai to their world and cut off their connection to the human world. This ability can only be used by his family; the one who succeeds this ability is called oyakume.
Kotoha the only half-youkai at the start of the series who had been human but 'fell' thankfully she regained her senses said to be thanks to Akina's grandfather and Hime but still seems to be a bit scared of that event. (Interesting is that she seems to remember it but it is said later on that its not supposed to be so.)
Basically its a story on how these characters overcome their difficulties and protect the town earning new friends and saving those thought to be lost ones.
Anime Guide:

Yozakura has a complicated anime history. Fans of the manga generally hated the original anime, produced by Nomad in 2008. The original anime is loosely based on the first three volumes, but makes so many changes that the plot barely resembles the manga. Tatsunoko Production has since taken over, and has been much more loyal to the manga. Tatsunoko's adaptions begin with volume five. 2014's Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta features canon adaptions of the first four volumes, fixing the changes made by the 2008 anime, as well as adapting the Hana no Uta arc, volumes 8 - 9 of the manga. Below is a list of anime, along with which volumes they adapt:
  1. Yozakura Quartet (2008): Volumes 1 - 3, (not canon, does not closely follow the manga). 12 Episode TV Anime.
  2. Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi (2010-2011): Volumes 5 - 6 (canon). 3 Episode OVA.
  3. Yokazura Quartet: Hana no Uta: (2013): Volumes 1 - 4, 8 - 9 (canon). 13 Episode TV Anime.
  4. Yozakura Quartet: Tsuki ni Naku (2013-2014): 11 (canon) 3 Episode OVA.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaveDragon

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Anime

Directed by Kou Matsuo
Studio Nomad
Licensed by Canada United States Sentai Filmworks
Network BS-i, MBS, TBS
Original run October 2, 2008 – December 18, 2008
Episodes 12

The anime is based on the manga and doesnt run close to it very much, its a nice watch though. There is also an OVA

Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi

I suggest you watch this after reading the manga as it is based on the chapters 25 till 34 and goes on closer to the manga than the anime had

Release date:
08.10.2010 - Episode 1 - OVA
08.04.2011 - Episode 2 - OVA
09.11.2011 - Episode 3 - OVA

The OVA adaptation Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi is created by Tatsunoko Production - unlike the 2008 TV anime series created by studio Nomad. Also unlike the TV series, the OVA will completely follow Suzuhito Yasuda's original supernatural action manga. The original cast, however, are returning for this project.

Reference: http://www.animekon.com/anime-920-Yozakura-Quartet-Hoshi-no-Umi.html

---------- Post added August 09, 2011 at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was August 02, 2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Chapter 52 out

I had a pleasant emailed surprise today ^^
Basically Zakuro's insecurity at being different, I'm guessing the focus of this arc will be the half youkai like her and Kotoha so probably the half-youkai hunter will show up. Im always curious to how Kotoha fell, we know what happened to Zakuro and by the flashbacks Kotoha had and her reactions to that day it must have been something shocking ^^ anywho apart from that prediction I like how this series focuses on emotion and action, it was a good chapter just a tad short though :(

---------- Post added August 29, 2011 at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was August 09, 2011 at 12:03 PM ----------

Chapter 53 out

Not much action here but it was nice to see the oldies in action when they were in their youth and what a surprise to find out Rins mother figure is a kitsune xD fun times i say fun times, hopefully we'll get the rest of the chapters real soon, still likin this story but i need me some action now thats all. still the author does know how to mingle the all together and create a proportionate story with all elements present flowing smoothily. Dont have much predictions since till now all have been foiled but im still thinking the half youkai hunter is nect since Zakuro is still integrating and he might tell us how Kotoha fell. Funny thing is they say they cant remember how they fell but it seems Kotoho does

---------- Post added September 22, 2011 at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was August 29, 2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

Chapter 54 to 56 are out; Chap 54

54 is the same chapter summer's coming 1 as chapter 51 so skip it ^^ or reread it anyway =] its 55 - Ist a general feel of the town we see how Hime goes about patrolling with her assistant always with her xD and how the town loves thier Mayor and then in 56 seems to be getting to this arcs action now after soe time in the town and we get juri's sisters examination where she's asked loads of things funnily enough the scene changes when she asks about Kotoha and then Kotoha's view on Akina comes up. Hoping for some fun in 57 now =D

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Akina looks just like Mikado! Even without looking I would have known who did the art. I've read the first two volumes, so far it's very enjoyable. Now I'm even more looking forward to Hana no Uta.

leiatte

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
looks so awesome, I had no idea it was a manga. This is on my list of anime to watch and now that I know its a manga I'll probably be reading it too.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The new anime is erroneously being described as a remake, when it is really a continuation. Hana no Uta will only animate (roughly) volumes 8 - 10. The Hoshi no Umi OVA's animated volume 5 - 7. The original anime (reportedly) butchered volumes 1 - 4. Tsuki ni Naki, the upcoming OVA's, will adapt volume 11. Word is that the new anime will be intended for beginners, and will start with at least one summary episode. It's probably a good idea to read volume 1 - 4 and watch Hoshi no Umi (only three episodes) before Hana no Uta starts on October 6. That is why I started reading a few days ago.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading this recently as well, I always heard about it and was curious but never had the time or motivation to really check it out... UNTIL NOW!

I'm 35 chapters in and its a fun little manga, the dialogue kinda trips me up at times but its a solid source of entertainment~

Seriously though Akine looks waaaaaaaaay too much like Mikado and seeing that guy who looks like Izaya have blue hair and cat ears
(I KNOW THEY'RE ANTENNAE!!)
is like someone's fanfic got brought to life...

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've really been enjoying it too, Yozakura is really fun and entertaining. It's a good manga for anyone who is sick of Jump style, tournament action. Since Yasuda is the illustrator of the original novels, similarities to Drrr are almost inevitable. The art is not the only thing that reminds me of Drrr though. Sakurashin reminds me of Ikebukuro; a seemingly isolated urban enclave filled with numerous eccentrics.

I finished chapter 22, and am going to watch Hoshi no Umi before reading any more. After that I will continue the manga. I was going to just read the parts that will not be included in Hana no Uta and Tsuki ni Naki, but I like it enough that I am going to catch up with Edited Mangas.

leiatte

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The new anime is erroneously being described as a remake, when it is really a continuation. Hana no Uta will only animate (roughly) volumes 8 - 10. The Hoshi no Umi OVA's animated volume 5 - 7. The original anime (reportedly) butchered volumes 1 - 4. Tsuki ni Naki, the upcoming OVA's, will adapt volume 11. Word is that the new anime will be intended for beginners, and will start with at least one summary episode. It's probably a good idea to read volume 1 - 4 and watch Hoshi no Umi (only three episodes) before Hana no Uta starts on October 6. That is why I started reading a few days ago.
Thank you for the info because I want to enjoy this series to the fullest and sometimes parts about anime that change the story around too much can ruin interest in a great series, so I'll definitely listen to what you said as I want the best experience.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thank you for the info because I want to enjoy this series to the fullest and sometimes parts about anime that change the story around too much can ruin interest in a great series, so I'll definitely listen to what you said as I want the best experience.
Hoshi no Umi only made minor changes, and none that effected the story. The changes they made mostly improved the pacing, and the fight scenes. Hana no Uta should also be very loyal to the original. I've read through volume eight now, and really love this series. Something about the characters has really drawn me in. The story gets better, and better, as more of the truth about the Hiizumi clan is revealed. Akina gradually becomes one of the more sympathetic characters in all of manga.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

All of the girls in this series have fantastic legs. This is difficult to overlook.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
So who's looking forward to the YQ x DRRR Cossover when the Limited edition BD vol 1 comes out?

and because I can

All of the girls in this series have fantastic legs. This is difficult to overlook.

a friend of mine came up with this last one
amen brotha.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I finished the Tsuki ni Naku arc, only a few more chapters left and I'll have read everything that is scanlated. Tsuki ni Naku was really good, one of my favorite parts of the entire series. Another youkai hunter arc, but it does not go as expected. Enjin gets a lot of screen time, and a lot of character development.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man...the song of flowers arc...has got to be my least favorite part of this manga so far. No I'm not joking, I seriously have an issue with how the drama between Lila and Juri was handled. If I could sum it up in two phrases it'd be these:

1. IT WAS ALL A FUCKING TRICK?!

2. I fucking hate Lila.

First off let me say I'm not going to bitch about how her powers work, I'll be willing to wait that one off. However let me be sure I got this straight:

Juri wanted to become a doctor more than anything else so she solely focused on her studies and wound up ignoring her sister even when she began doing those weird ass magic tricks to get her attention (which btw, why didn't she at least, you know, say it was DANGEROUS other than not react at all?) and so she went on to become a better magician to both get her sisters attention and her own passion I assume, until she nearly begins to "drop" (I'll get back to this) and later she fakes her death to go do whatever the fuck she's doing. Afterwards she come back with Enjine for whatever the hell reason in order to 'surprise' her sister and right before she decides to ax out Hime out of Yandere rage, she then Bondages Juri til the bed and proceeds to mind fuck her, until she gets tased, it's revealed she's fully human and she starts crying like a fucking 5 year old saying 'I just wanted to surprise you sis! Tada!' WHAT A LOAD.

Ok yes:
-It is partly Juri's fault for ignoring her.
- Lila is pretty much confirmed to be fucking mental.
- She technically did not harm anyone or damage the town.

BUT

That does not excuse the fact that she pulled off all of this shit, brought neko-Izaya into town and put everyone into frikkin danger like that!! Also, what the fuck is up with her aggression? For as ,much as Juri ignored her, she went out of her way to SAVE her from the damn star that was about to pummel her into the metaphysical ground! wouldn't that merit SOMETHING? I think the thing that ticks me off the most is that we have this damn whiplash, it makes all of this seem pointless! Ok now sure maybe Lila's powers will become a plot point in the future but man was this a let down! I actually thought it was doing pretty well til chapter 48...and if I'm missing something, then please, I would LOVE to hear it! Man I don't usally do these sort of rant things for petes sake! *grumble grumble*:nerve

Well at the very least the stuff with Akina and Enjine was interesting and I am still going to read he series, but at this point I think I can say that Lila has become my least favorite character thus far.

---------- Post added October 26, 2013 at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was October 15, 2013 at 01:20 AM ----------

Because I can:

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Iruka seems interesting. Kind of crazy, even by youkai hunter standards. There is a ton of fanart out there for her, she must be something of a favorite. An interesting arc, I'm looking forward to more. I'm especially excited for Touka and Kyousuke backstory. It is nice that they are finally getting the spotlight.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well now that my hatred of Lila has decreased a bit (I'm still not letting her off for that arc though) I can happily say that the stuff afterwards has not only not pissed my off to that degree, but I also likes some it, I was especially pleased by the crying in the moonlight arc. I also like that we're actually beginning to really move things along with the plot of the nanagou now. If there is one thing I seem to notice not working for me though, it's that when this series tries to do drama it's hit or miss some times it works (thorny path, crying in the moonlight) some times it flies over my head (song of stars) sometimes it doesn't feel quite as effective (Oni tale sofar, though that may change) and then...there's song of flowers. Well at the very least I'm eager to read the next installment of chapters as I couldn't say the same for certain other series *cough*cough*SAO*cough**cough*.

LoS

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
I've only followed the most recent, current, anime season for this series and initially I was a bit lost, because there wasn't enough of a background recap or refresher for new viewers.