Discussion - LINE Webtoon Announcements | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion LINE Webtoon Announcements

VanquisherR

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Naver has released their official translation of Webtoons!!!!!
Support Naver and the respective author/artists of each series by reading them there!

Series include:

Ability
About Death
Aisopos
Annarasumanara
A World Without You
Cheese in the Trap
Class Without a Smile
Denma
Dice
Dr. Frost
Gepetto
Girls of the Wild's
Hana
Hellper
Killer Snack Bar
Knight Run
Lessa
Noblesse
Nonamed
Ok-Su Station Ghost
Pied Piper
Story of Someone we Know
Survivors
Tales of the Herbs
Tower of God
The God of High School
The Sound of Your Heart
Tidal Territory
Trump

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Re: Naver's Official Translation of Webtoons

Absolutely fantastic!!!! So the Frankfurt event and these English versions were all part of a big movement by Naver. Question to niichan: is the same chapter from the book, or the book has more or less chapters?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Awesome! Great looking site. Has a lot more series than I ever imagined they'd be able to do as well. I strongly encourage everyone to do as much manhwa reading as they can through this official site. Because I want this to succeed and expand to cover even more series and give fellow Korean publishers ideas.(I want to read XO Sisters dammnit!!!)

It will probably take a while for them to get up to date with all the old releases but I hope they give current releases priority. It would be fantastic to be able to read the latest chapters and support the series at the same time this soon.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Just tried the site out on an ipad. Good lord did they design it well. ToG looks amazing. The translations are still a little rough around the edges but they should improve over time.

For example in the first chapter of ToG it has Rachel saying "Erase me" instead of "Forget about me". Which doesn't seem quite right.

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

Oh my, what would I read, what would I read????

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Thanks for the news and the link. It really is a treat for manhwa fans.

strixflash

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Shocking development: Ability's translations are fully ripped from EGS!! :derp There is no way that 95% stuff can be same even if you are translating two same things as the choice of words, sentence formation, etc.. have to be different.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Shocking development: Ability's translations are fully ripped from EGS!! :derp There is no way that 95% stuff can be same even if you are translating two same things as the choice of words, sentence formation, etc.. have to be different.
Is that a problem?

I mean, considering it's translations of thier material in the first place. As long as the translations are good using them would save a ton of time and allows all the hard work the Manga Editors did to live on. It would be kinda nice if they had contacted EGScans first but they probably don't really need to ask permission to use something that was created without their permission. I'd much rather Naver view fan Edited Mangas as resource than a competitor.

On that note, I kinda wish they would at least check some of their ToG against the company scans, it would probably help them sharpen things up.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Is that a problem?

I mean, considering it's translations of thier material in the first place. As long as the translations are good using them would save a ton of time and allows all the hard work the Manga Editors did to live on. It would be kinda nice if they had contacted EGScans first but they probably don't really need to ask permission to use something that was created without their permission. I'd much rather Naver view fan Edited Mangas as resource than a competitor.

On that note, I kinda wish they would at least check some of their ToG against the company scans, it would probably help them sharpen things up.
Not a problem... I was just pointing out that. I also want them to use EGS translations especially for Noblesse. eminorel has done a good job in translating Noblesse.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm finding it really fun to read through some of these series again, even though I've done so before.

The ones I've checked out are Noblesse, ToG, Girls of The Wild's, and DICE. All are such good series. Translation wise, ToG is the roughest. Noblesse is good except for the action sound effects (which are hilarious in their own way.) and the big difference in Raizel, or Reijar's, name (can we call him Roger now?)

cearon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

This might be the best news I heard all year (manga/wha/hua related :) ). Koreans really know how to get things global and strike it when the iron is hot.... Hopefully they will catch on to the series as fast as possible....

2bst2d

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

YAY!!!! :zomg Out of my two personal favourites, Lessa and Kubera, only one is on there, but STILL. Hopefully they add more! Very thankful.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

That Pied Piper looks good! Too bad there are no translations....

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

TOG is waaay back TOG link. I would love to read it from naver if its updated i cant wait for like 2 years till naver gets to recent chaps and then read them from naver....

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

TOG is waaay back TOG link. I would love to read it from naver if its updated i cant wait for like 2 years till naver gets to recent chaps and then read them from naver....
I think the site they have up now is mostly a proof of concept more than an actual attempt at full English translation.

I hope whenever they launch it as a real online reading option they will give latest chapters priority. Like go from the first chapter up but also do the latest chapter each week.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I hope whenever they launch it as a real online reading option they will give latest chapters priority. Like go from the first chapter up but also do the latest chapter each week.
Hmm if i were to open a site for official transltion i would certainly use that strategy, hopefully naver will do it. Did any guys compare the translation of our scannalators like the company and navers one?

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I saw this too a while ago, which is a very cool step Naver decided to take. I'm glad they acknowledge international fans and our needs of their manhwa in English, lol. I hope to see more titles translated, aside from popular ones. Heck, Koreans should start writing manhwa in English! XD

About the translations matching Manga Editors' translations... I wonder if they made a deal with the Manga Editors to use their scripts. After all, it was the Manga Editors who worked so hard to make the manhwa known by international fans, so it's only natural to appreciate their hard work this way.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Hey guys,

it seems that Naver's concept worked well and due to this there is some serious progression regarding official english translations.

Random-Webtoon-Fan (batoto) said:
Someone in Manga Reddit sent Naver an e-mail on how to support Webtoon authors and got answer back that Naver is planning to open official service in English.

http://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/1xsh68/naver_soon_completely_in_english/

SPREAD THIS GOOD NEWS!!!
-> link to the post

And here is the answer from Naver. Credits to Random-Webtoon-Fan.

:datass

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Re: LINE Webtoon Announcement

Will english translations be upto date with korean version from start or will it take time to catch up?

---------- Post added July 02, 2014 at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was June 24, 2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

http://m.webtoons.com/

...Official english translations! :)

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

That's really awesome news! I've looked up the LINE Webtoon site for some minutes and my overall impression is rather good. Still, there are a few things need to be improved, but all in all it's more than enough for a launch.

Positive:
The top webtoons are translated nearly up to date like Tower of God, Noblesse, Girls of the Wild's and The God of High School. That's a huge plus in my opinion.
I wonder how long it will take them to translate the remaining chapters of Webtoons like DICE or The Gamer. Both are currently translated till the fourth chapter. And let's hope we will get the newest chapters translated rather fast.

The navigation through the site works well and there is not much to complain here.

Neutral:
The names of characters are translated differently. For instance it's:
  • Kuhn Aguero Agnes (official) instead of Koon Aguero Agnis (inofficial)
  • Yeon Ehwa (official) instead of Yeon Yihwa (inofficial)
  • Quoetro Blitz (official) instead of Quatro Blitz (inofficial)
  • Endorsi Jahad (official) instead of Androssi Zahard (inofficial)
  • Jue Violet Grace (official) instead of Jyu Viole Grace (inofficial)
Many people won't like the new names I assume. I would like to stick with the official ones, but Endorsi Jahad sounds and feels so wrong on so many ways, even though it was stated by Random-Webtoon-Fan that Endorsi is much closer to SIU spelling. In the end, everyone has decide for himself.

Negative:
The Layout could be a little bit better. It looks really good on the smartphone, but not so on the PC/Laptop. Too big pictures, buttons and bars. I hope they optimize it for PC/Laptop use, because the chapters don't look very good due to the resizing.

The chapters aren't loading that fast. It's not slow, but it could be faster.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

My impressions are much the same. Overall, I like it.:^_^

The name thing is probably just something we're going to have to get used to, I suppose. But some of those changes just don't sound as good in English. From Tower of God. Endorsi instead of Androssi is going to be a tough adjustment. Form Noblesse, Lascrea instead of Raskriea is also going to be difficult for me. Those are little things though. And the sheer volume of webtoons their translators have managed to do is very impressive.

The only real issue with the site is the lack of PC optimization. This was definitely meant for smartphones and tablets and right now it's not very compatable with anything that requires you view it through a wide screen. The sample site actually was better for reading on PC than Line Webtoon is.

There are basically two ways to fix this.

• Add the option to zoom out for widescreen monitors or to view it the way you could in the sample site.(The easiest fix)
  • Add the option to view a non-low res version.(The harder but more thorough fix)