Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I heard that movie flopped in the US (grossing $80m or so), but then cashed in another like $150 million internationally. It's hard to say in those cases whether international success is enough to spawn a sequel or if they're too afraid even less Americans will go see the second one...
It's a hollywood problem indeed.

Though I like entertaining movies such as Thor, Man of Steel, etc... too much money is nowadays spent on sequels/reboots and CGI entertainment. Do not misunderstand me, if they are good (e.g. Hunger Games) and they gross a lot of money, very good then. Movies such as Jack Reacher are nowadays a rarity. Instead of spending money on 100th installment of paranormal activity or flops such as Percy Jackosn, The Mortal Instruments,... they should give cool movies such as Jack Reacher more credits. The start with the credits said enough: Tom Cruise production. Hollywood is sick!
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,282
Reaction score
24,917
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Saw the counselor the other day. Maybe I missed the point of the movie but I got the impression the movie was trying to hard to be cynical/sarcastic...
I mean, you have the first 20 minutes with the guy explaining how diamond appreciation is a cynical business because you look for flaws rather than good stuff (so ok, we get it, the movie is not intended to be what is usually expected) and then later on we have a 20 minute discourse from a mexican cartel guy about how fasbender is screwed and he should just accept and embrace it. Was that necessary? Did we really need two scenes to tell us the theme of the movie in a extremely explicit way? Then again, maybe I missed the point entirely.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I watched Jack Reacher today and I must say this movie was really good. It's an action thriller in the seventies style. No superfluous action scenes with an unbelievable amount of gun shots, bombed cars and impossible car chases. A decenty storytelling movie with great acting of Tom Cruise and Rosamund Pike

An unexpected nice surprise and I hope that Jack Reacher will get a sequel
I agree, it was a good movie. Good action scenes and Tom Cruise looked cool being smart, though I prefer him in MI type of stuff.
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree, it was a good movie. Good action scenes and Tom Cruise looked cool being smart, though I prefer him in MI type of stuff.
yea but it's getting kind of old since he always plays the same role.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Meh, I enjoy these types of movies that Tom Cruise, Jason Statham, etc do so they don't really get that old or tired for me. The fighting scenes Tom has in MI series are awesome.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched Jack Reacher today and I must say this movie was really good. It's an action thriller in the seventies style. No superfluous action scenes with an unbelievable amount of gun shots, bombed cars and impossible car chases. A decenty storytelling movie with great acting of Tom Cruise and Rosamund Pike

An unexpected nice surprise and I hope that Jack Reacher will get a sequel
There weren't too good reviews about the movie but I never cared much for the reviews or what people say. I watched it few months back and I like it too. It was entertaining for me. I couldn't find all the complains or flaws that were outlined in the reviews or comments.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
I saw Thor 2...

It was just ok. Meh. There were some pretty good moments, but again, meh. There's a bit of a difference between science fiction and fantasy science in my head, and it was definitely fantasy science. Any explanations behind the "science" aspect of the plot were either nonexistent or entirely bullshit. When one of the main characters is supposed to be a brilliant physicist, that doesn't work well at all. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 66%, but I would have given it more of a 45% maybe.

All the same, I liked it leagues better than the first Thor movie.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,282
Reaction score
24,917
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I actually liked the first thor movie better. Well, the science part is never really going to work that well in movies. You have Hollywood hipsters writing sciency stuff with characters smarter than themselves.... It simply can't work. Its the reason why in half the movies and tv series out there nowadays smart people solve their problems by hallucinating something that results in an epiphany or they skip the epiphany part and outright hallucinate the answer. Well, from what I gather the thor 2 did not do that at least (they were too focused in the special effects to figure out a way to have jane have an epiphany which solves their every plot point).
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
There weren't too good reviews about the movie but I never cared much for the reviews or what people say. I watched it few months back and I like it too. It was entertaining for me. I couldn't find all the complains or flaws that were outlined in the reviews or comments.
What were the complaints or flaws? I don't remember having much problems with the movie. Maybe because it's Tom Cruise, people are finding ways to attack the movie and make it look worse than it is?


We are conversing about Jack Reacher, correct?
 

Philia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
2,423
Reaction score
2,464
Gender
Male
Country
Joker
Anyone here watched the movie "A Serbian Film" ? I'm kinda curious how is it??? I'm currently downloading it.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
You aren't supposed to watch that movie.:teehee
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Wow, I'm so glad I looked up that movie...:barf
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How would you guys rate elysium out of 10
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hahaha there's another Romeo and Juliet movie. I was just curious since my sister had free passes and wondered what I could watch. I checked the trailer to see what it was like- OMG from the trailer alone I thought it was a hilarious attempt at Shakespeare.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Saw Ender's Game in IMAX! :allthe

Overall feeling : omg so cool badass loved the effects the simulation room was exactly how I imagined it wow!!

Downsides:
They definitely left out Valentine and Peter's key roles. Valentine was played off as this super sweet nice girl, which is NOT how she is in the book. Like at all. Totally portrayed her wrong. And then Peter was completely brushed aside. He's only in ONE scene of the movie and comes off as a dumb jock or something. Not even remotely the case. How about the side plot where he completely takes over the world, and Ender can't even go back to Earth because Valentine is afraid Peter will manipulate and control him? So disappointing in that aspect.

It was very CONDENSED. They just left so much out. :bored

And the ending? Whaaaaat? Ender going off into space by himself? What about Valentine going with him? And he doesn't even make the journey to find a home for the queen egg until he's like 17 or something. They didn't exactly leave very much room for sequels there. And yet, I understand why they ended it in that sequence. It just made the flow of the movie go smoother.

So even though there were SO many disappointing things about the movie, I think they did a wonderful job, granted the allotted time they had. If only they could have split it into two movies. :scry

A classic case of a good movie, yet BOOK >>>>>>> MOVIE.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So it's visually an A, while the plot translation is an F? Definitelly not gonna see it in the cinema as I won't pay them for a bad adaption. P&V are the other half of the book, so leaving them out is such an idiocy. -_-

A movie made for mainstream america as it seems.

How would you guys rate elysium out of 10
-5
 
Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched three movies recently:

1. Percy Jackson - Sea of Monsters : I don't know what made them come up with a sequel. The first one was horrible. This one was relatively better but once again they fail on many fronts.

2. R.I.P.D : Perhaps Jeff and Ryan's partnership was the only decent part about the movie.

3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones : They could have done more with this movie but it too ended on a disappointing note.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top