Discussion Levi's new second in command

Who should be Levi's new second in command?

  • Armin

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Connie

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eren

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Historia

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jean

    Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Mikasa

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Sasha

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    26
  • Poll closed .

TitaNick

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
41
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In the original Special Ops Squad, Eld Gin was the one member seen to act as Levi's second in command.

With the formation of the new squad, who do you think should be tapped for that responsibility?
 
Last edited:

TheOwl

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
283
Reaction score
77
Gender
Male
Country
Albania
Not sure, but I think that Jean would be the most appropriate. This is why:

Armin: Excellent strategist, but lacks battle skills.
Connie: Good battle skills, but not very smart.
Eren: Too hot-headed, an inappropriate mentality for a leader.
Historia: With her beauty and kindness she would probably have an easy time making others obey, but I don't think she has what it takes to be a leader.
Mikasa: Excellent battle skills, (presumably) good strategic skills, but tends to make irrational decisions when it comes to Eren. If she was the second-in-command and had to replace Levi for whatever reason, she would Eren's safety top-priority, which may or may not be good for the mission.
Sasha: Good battle skills, but she's too eccentric and simple-minded at the moment. I have a feeling that she will become like Hanji in a few years.

That leaves Jean. He has shown to be a good leader many times and also has the necessary battle skills.
 

Faerie

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
57
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Highgarden
I'll have to go with Jean as well. He'd be good at it. Marco said so.

No, seriously though, I think Jean would be excellent, he's got the right personality, skills and leadership for it.
 

DemonKing888

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
1,152
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I voted Mikasa because I could see her learning Levi's fighting style, but now after reading your comments I wish I voted Jean. There's to many hints that he would be a good leader one day.
 

Sigma

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
29
Gender
Hidden
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Jean. He's already bossing people around in the cabin anyway, particularly Sasha. :p
 

Faerie

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
57
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Highgarden
Although his clear lack of interest in the tidiness of the cabin could lead to a lack of understanding between him and his superior :teehee
 

BobobVanBlob

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
211
Reaction score
115
Age
32
Gender
Hidden
Country
France
Jean should definitely be the second in command for the Rivaille squad (Levi Squad), he is the highest ranked in the 104th recruits being in the "Survey corpses" (I should stop playing with the names of the characters/organization in Shingeki No Kyojin).

Correction : highest ranked recruit with still his head on his shoulder and without any \olo/-super-power or really special role to fulfill.

Eren : Anger problems, usefull to plug holes in walls, punch himself in the face, control titans, really tasty... "Best squad leader of all times" (Mina and the others are thanking you). Goal of the squad : Protect him, would be strange if he was second in command. 1 titan kill as a human, a mountain of titans as the "Rogue Titan".

Potato Springer : doesn't understand the concept of strategy, good soldier and support for a leader but not a leader. "1# World genius" Not a single confirmed kill, maybe with Historia in chapter 50 and a few assists ?

Sasha : a great asset for a group, she has the same type of intuitions as Mike, may be really usefull if they want to make the right choice, remember the forest ? "Potato Girl". No titans kills confirmed, but the bow and arrow scene...

Historia : she knows some stuff, she is nice to everyone, she may help to hold the group together, a bit like Yoga Ral, I mean Petra Ral... Plus she is important they cannot have the person they need to protect as a second in command. "Eh ?" At least one confirmed kill, maybe two or three with Ymir and Connie.

Mikasa : the most likely to be the second in command, she already worked with the smallest strongest man in the "Cleaning Legions", she may learn from him, and well she fits the job (protect Eren and Historia, but well she wouldn't give a single duck about Historia because "Eren !"). She already took the lead of the operations in trost (for the bad reason), and she is really popular amongst the fans (but the author is not really caring about the fans in general), it would be logical if she was second in command BUT i wouldn't enjoy it. Between 5 and 10 titans kills...

Armin : Excellent strategist, proved himself usefull a lot of times, but doesn't have the shoulders to be a leader in my opinion, he can be commanding troops, but not leading them... "Mini He-Man" Direct Titan kills : 0, but it's not confirmed; number of Titans killed with his plans : 7 plus all the titans outside of the supply depot, and Annie captured thanks to his magnificent brain.

Jean : Not too bad at strategy, really good with the 3DMG, knows what it is to lead people and the weight of it on his shoulders, doesn't want people under his command to die anymore, can take risks himself if there is the need and had a character development going in this direction. BUT (with one T please), he only interacted with Rivaille twice (anime only), so I would like to see Jean becoming the second in command. And he survived against the Female titan while fighting it and not being a titan shifter... (in the manga, there is only the scene where he is saved by Armin, but in the anime he goes against Annie a few times with Armin). Plus he is one of the few having a confirmed titan kill, and it's without the 3DMG... At least one titan kill, plus a few assists and maybe a few kills if you think that in the "Jeanservice" of the anime he could kill some titans.


I know that Eld Gin said that a true soldier is not recognized by his titan count but it may help to see if they already kicked some titan butts.

Bonus : I want to see Jean be the second in command for the fact that he is a really direct person, and that he is clearly not caring about the cleaning of the cabin.
 
Last edited:

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Yeah. Voted for Jean. Armin, on the other hand, would be fitting as a commander or something rather than a special squad leader.

@BobobVanBlob
XD
I can't read. XD.

But I'm not sure if Mikasa was sarcasm or not. XD. Yeah, I think I should lean on sarcasm with her on this one. :derp
 

BobobVanBlob

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
211
Reaction score
115
Age
32
Gender
Hidden
Country
France
@BobobVanBlob
XD
I can't read. XD.

But I'm not sure if Mikasa was sarcasm or not. XD. Yeah, I think I should lean on sarcasm with her on this one. :derp
Then go to school and learn how to read ! (I seriously don't understand what you mean by "I can't read", is my English that horrible ? Is there a need for subtitles ? Or it's just, "I can't read this wall of text, please stop rewriting "the Lord of the rings" every time you post on this forum" ?)

And for Mikasa, it's pure sarcasm when it's like that : (Mikasa would make a really good leader), otherwise I seriously think what's outside the parenthesis.


EDIT for Yumpo : It wasn't made out of anger (I'm not Eren), it was just to be sure if you meant what I thought, and I was half-right... (Yes, I should stop being Marco...)
 
Last edited:

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hey no need to get angry. XD. When I mean 'I can't read', I'm laughing too much that my eyes close and then I can't read anymore.
 

nesean

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
169
Reaction score
50
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
I thought Mikasa would win this poll (comments about how she's the Levi of next generation), but looks like Jean's the dark horse in this race.
(similar to how Armin's become one of the favourites of succeeding Erwin in many many years down the road)
 

BobobVanBlob

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
211
Reaction score
115
Age
32
Gender
Hidden
Country
France
I thought Mikasa would win this poll (comments about how she's the Levi of next generation), but looks like Jean's the dark horse in this race.
(similar to how Armin's become one of the favourites of succeeding Erwin in many many years down the road)
Well, there is a whole character development foreshadowing all this stuff, so it would be kind of weird to just say : "See all this ? Now forget it ever happened and go stand in the corner ! "

I mean it's not the Legend of Korra !

And again a good soldier is not always a good leader...

And Jean falls in leader type II, Armin would be a type I, Mikasa a type IV... Eren is a type III, and we where showed that it's the best solution in this universe (RIP Mina)...
 

nesean

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
169
Reaction score
50
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Well, there is a whole character development foreshadowing all this stuff, so it would be kind of weird to just say : "See all this ? Now forget it ever happened and go stand in the corner ! "

I mean it's not the Legend of Korra !

And again a good soldier is not always a good leader...

And Jean falls in leader type II, Armin would be a type I, Mikasa a type IV... Eren is a type III, and we where showed that it's the best solution in this universe (RIP Mina)...
It'd be real ironic if Jean ends up being the leader of the special corps in the future; not that it's a negative thing.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Oh...I see they've added an entry for SnK in that article.
 
Last edited:

LLawliet

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I voted for Mr. Jean. He has got some decent 3D Maneuver Gear-Skills and a clear mind. Furthermore he has gone through a maturation process: From a selfish, slightly arrogant and fearful guy to a warrior who seems to have found the reason to give up his life in order to help the Survey Corps in saving mankind.

He seems to have one major weakness: I think he is losing a little bit his mind if mikasa is in danger, but nevertheless I am convinced he can replace Eld Jinn.
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
It's interesting to think about this, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Guess I'll do pros and cons for everyone instead...

Armin: Should absolutely be involved in developing strategies at the top level, but I don't think he's ready to lead everyone. Only Mikasa and Eren would have confidence in him, for one thing.
Connie: According to official stats, the dumbest one of the bunch, but he's lovable. Could get along with anyone.
Eren: I'ma go against the flow on this one and say actually I think that Eren is so concerned with keeping his heroic senpais (especially Levi & Erwin) happy that he'd always be running a mental check of what they would think of his actions (a little like when he trusted everyone in the forest to charge to their deaths against Annie's titan). He gets along well with Levi too; something I don't see happening with Jean and Levi. Those are the pluses, though. The minuses in this case are that (a) of course he is a hot-head but for the most part (b) I think he'd be paralyzed, wondering "What Would Heichou Do?" all the time.
Jean: Probably the strongest leader of this bunch, but he'd have a hard time working closely with Levi imo.
Historia: As someone said, she could probably get others to listen to her (especially if she spilled some of those cult secrets we're waiting on), but there is no way she'd want this job. Although I fully believe she genuinely has some of that "good girl" in her, part of it was an act and that act is over. Right now she just wants to find Ymir.
Mikasa: If she was capable of focusing more often on the bigger picture I'd be all for her doing this job (despite the fact she'd get along with Levi even less than Jean), but as mentioned above, her judgment is lacking when she perceives Eren's safety to be at stake... which is going to happen a lot.
Sasha: Nooope. Sasha's easy to get along with but she and Connie are born followers. Nothing wrong with that. They're both good soldiers and that's what counts.
 
Top