Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
If our resident Jump experts are done now, then we can change the subject.

Soma 6, Trigger 4, Catcher(S) 3, and Isobe 1 went on sale recently. I wonder how well they'll do.
Expecting Souma to do incredibly well as usual.
I'd be surprised if World Trigger did any better. Jump keeps pushing the series, but I honestly don't think its going to catch on sales wise.
I have a hunch Soul Catcher(S) will have a big jump in sales this time around.
And I expect Isobe to do well.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Expecting Souma to do incredibly well as usual.
I'd be surprised if World Trigger did any better. Jump keeps pushing the series, but I honestly don't think its going to catch on sales wise.
I have a hunch Soul Catcher(S) will have a big jump in sales this time around.
And I expect Isobe to do well.
Eh not so sure. I think World Trigger will likely continue to gradually get better numbers but it's probably not going to be cracking 100K for a while longer. Soul Catchers will probably improve a bit too but I'm not expecting a large jump just because it's been doing slightly better in the rankings (didn't seem to do much for WT's sales currently).

Not sure how Isobe'll do though. It's popular but it's still a gag series and those don't tend to push high numbers sales-wise.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Not sure how Isobe'll do though. It's popular but it's still a gag series and those don't tend to push high numbers sales-wise.
Yeah, I don't think it'll have high number. But, I expect Isobe at least able to make into top 50.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Manga is a niche in the US. But even their bigger Jump titles don't seem to post numbers that are all that great.



I don't think they need to sell all that many copies to break even, or they would have been bankrupt a while back. As a side note, one of Viz's freelance letterers said that one of the series that they follow only made it into like, the hundreds of units sold. This may have been Excel Saga, though they never confirmed it. But I digress.

I know that ICv2 didn't post ALL of what was sold, because I don't think Amazon and Rightstuf and whatnot are accounted for, but brick and mortar store numbers are low.
Viz can't cancel Shogakukan series, they can only cancel Shueisha titles, I don't know exactly why but it might be a 'pride' thing (remember Viz is Shogakukan foremost). That might also play a part in why they don't want to license Gin.. They are scared that a title that doesn't seem to be ending any time soon might lose its appeal in the long run, I mean historically gag/slice of life manga isn't that hot of a seller, isn't it?

The series you mention is probably Firefighter Daigo, a series that allegedly sold very, very low (as in fewer than a 100 volumes) and didn't get canceled.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hopefully the little things with Soul Catcher(s) is helping to get folks attention.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
What title is the one right between Hime-doll and WT?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
About One Piece:



It seems it's absent next week.
Damn it Oda! Seems like its every other week now.
Wonder if he's okay, he's been having to take a lot of breaks the last few years and they've only been getting more and more frequent.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I hope he's alright, though I don't really mind the breaks. It's a shame, but with Oda you don't get the idea he's slacking off or anything. It rather feels like he takes the time to plan, research, make it better or a good,well-deserved rest.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I hope he's alright, though I don't really mind the breaks. It's a shame, but with Oda you don't get the idea he's slacking off or anything. It rather feels like he takes the time to plan, research, make it better or a good,well-deserved rest.
I don't mind the breaks either, I mean two of my favorite series are HxH and Historie.
But I just worry about Oda because he's used to be so ontop of everything and now he's constantly having to take breaks. I also don't think he's slacking off so I worry about his health.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
http://shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-366.html

For new Jump Comic volumes' first day sale, I definitely think Isobe going to make top 50. I wonder if it'll surpass Saiki's sale.

Also (these two are not from Shounen Jump), both the first volume of Sousei no Onmyouji and Taishou Roman Oni-san Yameteee!! (both from Jump SQ.) also have very good start. It looks like Jump SQ. isn't gonig to be sad about losing Rosario to Vampire.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If Soul Catcher(s) truly does stay that close to world trigger, and world trigger performs better than last, both ought to be on track for >50K - 75K sales wk1. Would be incredible if World Trigger got into the 80K range, would be on track to best some of the other middle tier action series that ran in jump.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't mind the breaks either, I mean two of my favorite series are HxH and Historie.
But I just worry about Oda because he's used to be so ontop of everything and now he's constantly having to take breaks. I also don't think he's slacking off so I worry about his health.
I think the editors have the same worrying as you, and me as well, about his heatlh. That's because they are giving those breaks to him after that incident last year. I mean, One Piece has 50% or more of Jump's profit above its shoulders. We can say that take care of Oda makes part of the business.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
IMO they should just cut Oda some slack and give him permision to do 14 page chapters like Akira Toriyama used to do, Oda has been able to pack the same level of epicness when he had shorter chapters (IIRC during the time he was planning both Strong World and Z) than when doing 18 page chapters, though that was during the war arc which had a lot of double spreads.. And it was more action oriented.
Still if Shueish allows this Oda would be doing 56 pages a month (or 60 if he does 15 pages a week) vs the usual 72 pages (18 a week). 12 pages doesn't seem like a whole lot but it is.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
IMO they should just cut Oda some slack and give him permision to do 14 page chapters like Akira Toriyama used to do, Oda has been able to pack the same level of epicness when he had shorter chapters (IIRC during the time he was planning both Strong World and Z) than when doing 18 page chapters, though that was during the war arc which had a lot of double spreads.. And it was more action oriented.
Still if Shueish allows this Oda would be doing 56 pages a month (or 60 if he does 15 pages a week) vs the usual 72 pages (18 a week). 12 pages doesn't seem like a whole lot but it is.
That would literally kill the anime though.
They are struggling enough with adapting one chapter an episode.
I mean I agree with you, but Jump is a business first and foremost.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Shouldn't we already have the ToC or at least the bottom 10 by now?
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If our resident Jump experts are done now, then we can change the subject.

Soma 6, Trigger 4, Catcher(S) 3, and Isobe 1 went on sale recently. I wonder how well they'll do.
A lot of young and growing titles this month, tomorrow should be educational.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Shouldn't we already have the ToC or at least the bottom 10 by now?
We don't get it on some weeks. It'll be less than 12 hours from now until the full ToC appears anyways.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top