Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
The arc that brought about the students from the A classes, as well as the continuing battle with, IMO the best antagonist in JUMP in awhile (Chairman) and his methodology battle with Korosensei continuously, as well as the ultra serious nature of the Hotel Arc made it take off for me into becoming my second most anticipated weekly series (second to HQ!). Also the art levels and visuals he gives for many moments in the manga keeps it feeling fresh and interesting on the visual level, while the writing remains tight and top notch. I wasnt feeling it that much when the manga started but once it got to those points it really became amazing.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
This site provides people's opinion about whey the like/dislike certain series (if you know Japanese):

http://sakuhindb.com/jmanga/7_Ansatsu_20kyoushitsu/

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

The arc that brought about the students from the A classes, as well as the continuing battle with, IMO the best antagonist in JUMP in awhile (Chairman) and his methodology battle with Korosensei continuously, as well as the ultra serious nature of the Hotel Arc made it take off for me into becoming my second most anticipated weekly series (second to HQ!). Also the art levels and visuals he gives for many moments in the manga keeps it feeling fresh and interesting on the visual level, while the writing remains tight and top notch. I wasnt feeling it that much when the manga started but once it got to those points it really became amazing.
Let's see how many people going to argue against that.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
it's incredibly well-crafted. Like on an artistic and creative level it's fascinating to follow, to see what Matsui accomplishes next. You don't get that often in a teen comic.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
It shines with comedy, action and interactions, lot's of innuendos, an experienced mangaka capable of creating a compelling story, plot and characters, which are often unexpected/original. It's simply fun to read.

How about you write how you think about it? Give it a try and see if it's capable of hooking you if not.

That means Japanese people finally catched-up with Matsui's sesibility.
Neuro was a long running and beloved series, so what was there to catch up exactly?

Don't blame me, when it's you writing such a comment again, just trying to understand what your argument is.

I think what Kaiten was trying to say earlier was that people are criticizing the series about things that the series never proposed to do.
But what if e.g. I think it fails what it's supposed to be: a romcom following a good, not repetitive and predictable plot?
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
[Cross];3741068 said:
Hm, I don't know if I agree with the idea that if we don't connect with a story and/or characters that we're doing it wrong. Also, the fact that someone is in the minority doesn't make their opinion any less valid. There is no right or wrong, just different, and that's what's great about consuming/critiquing art. Nisekoi doesn't really connect with me, I don't really like it. Sure it doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do, but it doesn't really mean I'm wrong, or right for that matter.
I think what Kaiten was trying to say earlier was that people are criticizing the series about things that the series never proposed to do. Criticize in this terms, is indeed wrong. He can correct me if it is not this. Anyway, of course their opinons are not less valids, but they have less weight, indeed. Manga is kind of easy to judge, either you like or not, if more people are saying that it is good, the probability that it is truly good is bigger.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think what Kaiten was trying to say earlier was that people are criticizing the series about things that the series never proposed to do. Criticize in this terms, is indeed wrong. He can correct me if it is not this. Anyway, of course their opinons are not less valids, but they have less weight, indeed. Manga is kind of easy to judge, either you like or not, if more people are saying that it is good, the probability that it is truly good is bigger.
Indeed, there are ways to be wrong if you aren't making logical sense, so there might be some leeway with that. As for the second thing you said, that's kinda like saying if something is popular then it is probably good. Which doesn't really mesh with me. I mean, the majority could just be into a certain thing that probably isn't of much substance.

As for why I don't like Nisekoi, I was honestly bored with the premise and the characters. I did like the art but not enough for me to overlook the type of romcom that it is. I find it hard to believe that there's only one way to do things, so I don't really agree that when reading this series, that we're to understand that it could only be written one way. There are only so many qualifiers that I'm willing to accept.
 
Last edited:

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Problem with Nisekoi is that when it started it got many plot developments, it was pretty fast paced. So when author knew that it's doing a good job he started to slow down the pace. It got more and more successful, so it turned to being more of an episodic manga. If we're talking about pure quality then I think it's not any worse than at start. It got a bit repetitive but it's the same easy going and fun series.

So I think the irregular pace is a reason of complaints about it. Start was a sign of a plot driven romance manga now it's what most harems are, plot-less rom-com.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
I like it because its strangely wholesome, considering its plot. It manages to touch on real student issues while also being highly entertaining in a humorous and surreal way. Like, the scenario makes it perfect to occasionally critique the educational system where people with bad grades are discriminated against. And I think the author does that successfully. Another thing I enjoy is the unique main character, Korosensei. He's a walking emoticon, basically. He's relatable, he's not a teenager, and he's a villain protagonist. I also like the artwork and the way the author uses imagery to make even mundane things (studying, test-taking) be cool or funny.

I also enjoy the fact that there are lots of female characters, even though they're not mains (most of the time). Its nice to see a range of female characters with different personalities.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
[Cross];3741090 said:
As for the second thing you said, that's kinda like saying if something is popular then it is probably good. Which doesn't really mesh with me. I mean, the majority could just be into a certain thing that probably isn't of much substance.
That's what I said, indeed. What people consider good is that what they like, and liking something not necessarily means that the series is very original, full of plot and stuff, which are often linked with quality. That way of thinking remove all the enjoyment of reading mangas. It is supposed to be fun, principally. A series can be "generic and repetitive" and being fun despite of that. I'm aware that Nisekoi, technically speaking, is not very original, but the characters, the scenes and everything together make it unique and enjoyable for many people. That's why it is popular. So, put "generic and repetitive" (theoretically) as synonym of bad is harsh IMO, principally when originality is kinda hard to achieve nowadays.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What people consider good is that what they like,...
That is not true, I can know that something is well crafted/drawn/written, but still dislike the actual piece of art.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's why it is popular. So, put "generic and repetitive" (theoretically) as synonym of bad is harsh IMO, principally when originality is kinda hard to achieve nowadays.
That's correct, but I don't see a problem for disliking it for being generic and repetitive though for a slightly more nuanced reason. After all, it's not exactly black and white, something can be generic and repetitive at its root but do it in a way which is palatable. For some people, this is what Nisekoi does for them, but for me, it does not.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Main thing why I'm still reading Nisekoi is for the art and hoping that Shuu gets what he wants..
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That is not true, I can know that something is well crafted/drawn/written, but still dislike the actual piece of art.
Really? It never passed through my mind, at least never happened to me.

[Cross];3741108 said:
That's correct, but I don't see a problem for disliking it for being generic and repetitive though for a slightly more nuanced reason. After all, it's not exactly black and white, something can be generic and repetitive at its root but do it in a way which is palatable. For some people, this is what Nisekoi does for them, but for me, it does not.
I agree, but the way they are talking sounds to me that being generic and repetitive is unquestionable bad. It is not your case, though.
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
That's probable. Komi's art is really nice, same with Haikyuu (another unbelievably generic series that does absolutely nothing original yet has some really neat art). Despite manga being a visual medium, I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art... I mean art is important and all, but for me personally, story and characters are most important.
Saying that was an insult not only to the mangaka but also to the fans of HQ!! Do you even read HQ?? What do you mean by "does absolutely nothing original"? This was a sport series for god sake, everything pretty much are focus on volleyball! What, do you expect them from playing volleyball to suddenly have a sword fight just because you want it to be original?

IF you say people vote their series based on art then what can you say for a series that have a good character design and art, heck their art even far more good than any series in jump right now, got cancelled before even reach 20 chapters?! Please don't say that "you can't compared a successful series with the cancelled series BS, because your statement clearly stated that "I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art" because they (the readers) clearly voted for series that have quality rather than voted a series based on art alone.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Nisekoi, I know it is crazy popular right now but I do wish that Komi will end Nisekoi before reaching 170 chapters. It is better that way rather than he keep pushing it until the moment Nisekoi got cancelled. Lets face it, IF Nisekoi get cancel and have a bad ending, the one that will so furious about it, no other than Nisekoi fans itself. It is better to have a great ending rather than a bad one, right? And don't give me arguement like, Nisekoi popular and never will be cancel or Nisekoi is so popular, JUMP will be let Komi end it, because go by that logic alone we can say series like Bakuman, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21 (just to name a few) should never let to end because they are popular, right?? This is just my opinion, and not to be a hater or something (beacuase I'm reading it but not as far as to become a fan) but I hate to see a series that reach 100 chps or more get cancelled.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Saying that was an insult not only to the mangaka but also to the fans of HQ!! Do you even read HQ?? What do you mean by "does absolutely nothing original"? This was a sport series for god sake, everything pretty much are focus on volleyball! What, do you expect them from playing volleyball to suddenly have a sword fight just because you want it to be original?
What Kaiten said about wrong vision never was more true. Haikyuu!! is one of the best in Jump right now. I use it as an example of what a sports manga should be.
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
What Kaiten said about wrong vision never was more true. Haikyuu!! is one of the best in Jump right now. I use it as an example of what a sports manga should be.
HQ is the only sport series that I reading now and for me , it is the best sport series that currently serialize in any magazine. And this is coming from a guy that really hate sport series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Comparing shoujo with shonen isn't really a good comparison...
Shoujo and shonen aren't genres.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
It's quirky and feels both fresh and comfy.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Saying that was an insult not only to the mangaka but also to the fans of HQ!! Do you even read HQ?? What do you mean by "does absolutely nothing original"? This was a sport series for god sake, everything pretty much are focus on volleyball! What, do you expect them from playing volleyball to suddenly have a sword fight just because you want it to be original?

IF you say people vote their series based on art then what can you say for a series that have a good character design and art, heck their art even far more good than any series in jump right now, got cancelled before even reach 20 chapters?! Please don't say that "you can't compared a successful series with the cancelled series BS, because your statement clearly stated that "I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art" because they (the readers) clearly voted for series that have quality rather than voted a series based on art alone.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Nisekoi, I know it is crazy popular right now but I do wish that Komi will end Nisekoi before reaching 170 chapters. It is better that way rather than he keep pushing it until the moment Nisekoi got cancelled. Lets face it, IF Nisekoi get cancel and have a bad ending, the one that will so furious about it, no other than Nisekoi fans itself. It is better to have a great ending rather than a bad one, right? And don't give me arguement like, Nisekoi popular and never will be cancel or Nisekoi is so popular, JUMP will be let Komi end it, because go by that logic alone we can say series like Bakuman, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21 (just to name a few) should never let to end because they are popular, right?? This is just my opinion, and not to be a hater or something (beacuase I'm reading it but not as far as to become a fan) but I hate to see a series that reach 100 chps or more get cancelled.
Seriously dude? I love sports series so no, I don't expect them to have a sword fight to make it "original". I just think that the characters and story of Haikyuu are incredibly by the numbers and don't do anything that hasn't been done before (and better) countless times.

Also, last I checked, stating an opinion on a series is not an insult to the fanbase or mangaka.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

HQ is the only sport series that I reading now and for me , it is the best sport series that currently serialize in any magazine. And this is coming from a guy that really hate sport series.
Check out Last Inning, Yowamushi Pedal, and Diamond no Ace.
I consider all of those MUCH better than Haikyuu!
Especially Yowamushi Pedal, it's one of my favorite reads out of all the series I'm reading.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Seriously dude? I love sports series so no, I don't expect them to have a sword fight to make it "original". I just think that the characters and story of Haikyuu are incredibly by the numbers and don't do anything that hasn't been done before (and better) countless times.

Also, last I checked, stating an opinion on a series is not an insult to the fanbase or mangaka.
They do what they should do a volleyball court, the author do this very well by the way; what do you expect from the manga which isn't being done?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top