Seinen - The Ravages of Time by Chen Mou | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen The Ravages of Time by Chen Mou

Morri

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Title: The Ravages of Time (三国志群雄伝火鳳燎原)
By: Chen Mou
Original Publisher: Tong Li (2001)
Target Group: Men, Adults
Genre: Action, Drama, Historical, Martial Arts, Psychological
Chinese Release: 43 volumes (ongoing!)
MH DB-Entry: http://mangahelpers.com/m/ravages-of-time

Sample Pages:

The Ravages of Time (火鳳燎原) is a manhua by Chen Mou (陈某) that takes place at the fall of the Han Dynasty in ancient China. The story revolves around a young Sima Yi 's command of the Sima family "army", the Handicapped Warriors, and it's leader, Liaoyuan Huo. The series mixes together historical fact with popular fiction like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Chinese folk tales. Many of the characters go against their usual portrayals in Chinese literature -- Zhang Fei is not a violent drunkard, Lü Bu is not muscle-headed idiot and Cao Cao is not a mustache-twirling villain. It is very much a seinen manhua with plenty of complex plots (like Death Note) and bloody action scenes (like Lone Wolf & Cub). There are few women in the series, but even so, women may enjoy the series for the good-looking (and very intelligent) men and boys. Also, the art style is gorgeous and very different from the style of most Japanese manga. [Note: The series has been licensed in Japan. Only three volumes have been released there thus far.]

If you like The Ravages of Time and wish to discuss it - as well as any Three Kingdom-related manga, book or film - then this is the place to do so. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The Ravages of Time Discussion Thread

wow nobody post here,
K, I must this is one great series. I just started reading two days ago and I already caught up to the latest Remnant Edited Mangas.
This is not another boring historical manga.
It is 100% not. Great action, plots, and just plain interesting.

Oh Yeah don't use this series as a source of fact, the real history is much different.

To sum it up, I promote this manga....

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Awesome! I love the Three Kingdoms (and its spin-offs) stories. :D

I'll read this one when i have more times. :D

Morri

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

wow nobody post here,
K, I must this is one great series. I just started reading two days ago and I already caught up to the latest Remnant Edited Mangas.
This is not another boring historical manga.
It is 100% not. Great action, plots, and just plain interesting.

Oh Yeah don't use this series as a source of fact, the real history is much different.

To sum it up, I promote this manga....
Cool. Thanks. :amuse Sorry, I've been neglecting this thread. You're right, no one really posts here. :( I should peek in more often to keep the thread going when I can.

I actually think of Ravages as more like "real" history. Most of the stories you read about the Three Kingdoms are so romanticized. If you look at Chen Mou's Wikipedia page there's a little blurb at the bottom that I think rights true: "A reporter once asked Chan about history vs fable. He claimed that the true history does not exist. Believing into the inevitable idea of history is artificial; whoever conquers the country writes the history. Gathering all the fables and novels with history books might exceeds the credibility of any official history books."

I totally agree with him there.

Love your screenname, by the way. Back when I got into Ravages, I read one of Fifaynet's other series, Royal Tramp, which I loved. Wei Xiaobao is hilarious (kind of Naruto-ish in some ways). I wish Fifaynet hadn't discontinued it. :( It made me want to read The Deer and the Cauldron.

Awesome! I love the Three Kingdoms (and its spin-offs) stories. :D

I'll read this one when i have more times. :D
Thanks. :amuse I hope you enjoy it.

silverado

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Old old news. Still thanks for ya work RW

Morri

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Old old news. Still thanks for ya work RW
Old news?! How?

No one knows about Ravages. It couldn't possibly be old news, much less old, old news! :p

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hmhmhm, I haven't read any manhua so far. Couldn't get familiar with the more realistic and western-like drawing style I've seen. While I do like it in manhwa, it looks unpleasant to me in manhua - but that's my personal taste, no offence.

I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommandation :)

Morri

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Hmhmhm, I haven't read any manhua so far. Couldn't get familiar with the more realistic and western-like drawing style I've seen. While I do like it in manhwa, it looks unpleasant to me in manhua - but that's my personal taste, no offence.

I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommandation :)
That's a strange reason for not getting into manhua. :blink

I'm actually not a super-huge fan of the art style, but I think it's unique and definitely sets itself apart from other series. Even if the art were terrible, the story more than makes up for it. It's certainly worthwhile if you can get over your art bias. :p

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

CAn someone show me where to download large HQ cover pages of TROT? thanx in adv..
And so who your fav character so far? (i only get as far as remnant warriors' scans)
for me i must said:
Zhao Hao or Liu Bei...

Morri

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

CAn someone show me where to download large HQ cover pages of TROT? thanx in adv..
I have large scans of the covers that were posted on Fifaynet. You're not the first to ask for them. :amuse I'll email Fifay and see if she minds me posting them on RW, as Fifaynet is down right now.
And so who your fav character so far? (i only get as far as remnant warriors' scans)
for me i must said:
Zhao Hao or Liu Bei...
I think I've called almost every main character my "favorite" at one point. The first that I ever really loved was Xiao Meng. I also really like Guo Jia - he's definitely my favorite Genius (sorry Zhuge Liang fans!). I love how he annoys Cao Cao's generals with his plans. :amuse

Zhao Huo is okay. I mean he's "cool" and all, but sometimes his personality annoys me. I like Liu Bei, but I can't help, but feel he's a little naive. It's amusing how his "little brothers" manipulate him into overcoming his scruples. Zhang Fei is definitely the sneakier of the two. It'd watch out around him. Guan Yu is a little more... noble, perhaps? He kind of sits in the background and goes along with Zhang Fei's plans, but he doesn't seem quite as sneaky as his brother.

I've never been a big Wei fan, but I'm starting to like the scenes with Cao Cao. I especially like Xiahou Dun's grumpiness and how he treats Cao Cao like a brother sometimes (as opposed to as his lord).

I want to see more scenes with Xun Yu (Second Genius), but I think after volume nine, the focus is on the Third Genius and events surrounding Changan. I don't really like Third Genius. Ma Chao appears in volume ten, I think, and he is all kinds of awesome. He gives Lu Bu a run for his money in badassness. :amuse

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I'm actually not a super-huge fan of the art style, but I think it's unique and definitely sets itself apart from other series. Even if the art were terrible, the story more than makes up for it. It's certainly worthwhile if you can get over your art bias. :p
Don't get me wrong. I don't say that the art is terrible, in fact the drawings are nice. For stand-alone images I would really love it but somehow I don't like it in any kind of comics so much. Same goes with many western comics for me^^

But like you said, the story seems to be pretty interessting. That's reason enough to try^^

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

I have large scans of the covers that were posted on Fifaynet. You're not the first to ask for them. :amuse I'll email Fifay and see if she minds me posting them on RW, as Fifaynet is down right now.I think I've called almost every main character my "favorite" at one point. The first that I ever really loved was Xiao Meng. I also really like Guo Jia - he's definitely my favorite Genius (sorry Zhuge Liang fans!). I love how he annoys Cao Cao's generals with his plans. :amuse

wow.. u are so far ahead... As for the covers, I only have the first 4 volumes' covers in large HQ version... And when will Huang Zhong appear.. He diffinately one of my fav. general...

Last edited:

Morri

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Don't get me wrong. I don't say that the art is terrible, in fact the drawings are nice. For stand-alone images I would really love it but somehow I don't like it in any kind of comics so much. Same goes with many western comics for me^^

But like you said, the story seems to be pretty interessting. That's reason enough to try^^
Ah, well, I can be pretty wierd when it comes to art style too. For some reason, I don't like it when American (or Western) artists use manga-style artwork. Which is really rather small of me, I admit. I loved Dramacon by Svetlana Chmakova so that should teach me for being so biased!

Well, give it a shot. :amuse If you like it, then that's great, but if not, it's no big deal.
wow.. u are so far ahead... As for the covers, I only have the first 4 volumes' covers in large HQ version... And when will Huang Zhong appear.. He diffinately one of my fav. general...
Huang Zhong hasn't appeared in the latest Chinese release, so far as I know. Every time a new archer character pops up, people speculate that he's Huang Zhong. At one point an archer with his face in the shadows appeared - it's possible he could be HZ, but he hasn't reappeared yet.

Of course, Chen Mou likes to trick us by giving people different identities at first (like Liaoyuan Huo and the "Captain of the Cavalry" and a few others). :amuse

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The Ravages of Time

:kukuku i gonna revive this thread.. :kukuku

anyway.. thank morri (and the remnant warriors) for those covers on their site.. luv it.....

Edit: that archer appear to look like Gan Ning more so than Huang Zhong...

Last edited:

otaku214

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

oh
the last post was 1 year ago
it's so long
hi everybody
i'm vietnamese anh i'm not good at english so forgive me if there is mistake in my post
i'm a fan of the ravages of time serie
in my country it's calls "hỏa phụng liêu nguyên"
it means "the fire phoenix burn the Chinese territory" ^^
iam looking for a ravages of time fan forum anh i found it in this site

nice to meet you guys
especially morri
you are the one who edit "unhuman" series (the same author with ravages), aren't you?
that is just my guess

my country-vietnam is the china's neighbour
so the tradition is similar china
i thinks ravages is a perfect comic base on "three kingdoms" ("tam quốc" in my languges)
my favourite character is quách gia (in english is gou jia, i think) :)

otaku214

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

really :-O
xin chào
em ở thành phố nào?^^
remnantwarriors.com
i know this website ^^
thanks
but i don't find any ravages fan forum in this website
why???

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

well you may find better luck with vietnamese sites? i guess..

otaku214

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

^^
i don't see morri in this topic
is he doesn't visit this site anymore?
i really want to see him(her)
and i've just read chapter 247 raw version
it seem xiao meng is killed :(