Life Is it Possible NOT to Have a Sexuality?

Desu Desu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hey guys! Do you think it's possible NOT to have a sexuality?

It sounds a little weird, and I get that, especially because it seems like theres a sexuality for everything... except for NOT having a sexuality? I understand there is asexuality, however, asexuality is not being interested in sensual interaction at all. I do have sensual interaction, however, I don't like to define myself as a certain sexuality for a number of reasons. I'm just going to call it non-sexuality.

Stereotyping
Basically, I believe sexualities are labels. "She's such a lesbian" "He's definitely gay" "That's so gay"; STEREOTYPES.
UHG.
It's the most frustrating thing. I don't want to labelled. I want to be me, not "that pansexual girl". It seems so... dull in a way, just being characterized for your sexuality. I don't want to be a lesbian, I don't want to be pansexual or bisexual; I want to be ME. If only society would allow that.

Un-Fairness
Once upon a time, I used to like a guy who turned out to be gay. Long-story-short, it ended poorly. My heart was crushed. He didn't even consider me and him being together, he just said "Sorry, I'm gay, so". Guess what? THAT SUCKS. It sucks having to get over someone just because they 'aren't compatible'. It took me 8 months to get over him. To him, he was proclaiming his sexuality, but to me, it was like saying "I don't like you, I won't like, and I don't like anyone who is like you and I never will". It hurt. I became very attached to him for a while so during that time everything seemed to crumble.
I believe everyone deserves a chance. I would fall in love with a girl. I would fall in love with a guy. I would fall in love with a he/she or even a she/he. I would fall in love with a gender-less person. If I truly loved those people, I would have intercourse with them, and I'm proud of that. I believe that I can fall in love with anyone, not just girls or just guys.

Indecisivness
I'm very indecisive. I know for a matter of fact that I'm attracted to girls, but whether or not I'm attracted to men is another. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. But how can I choose just one sexuality? How can one sexuality decide who I am when it comes to love? How will this choice take affect in my life? Just to skip the trauma, why not just NOT have a sexuality?

If you broke it down, I suppose I would be pansexual or possibly lesbian, however, back to step 1, stereotyping.

This was long. Here's a few questions:
-
1. Do you think that someone can just NOT have a sexuality? Why or why not?
2. Would you consider non-sexuality for yourself?
3. Do you think that religion (like Christianity) would be a problem with non-sexuality? Why?
-
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,132
Reaction score
14,109
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
1-What you're giving as an example is pretty much the definition of pansexuality imo (but, as a person that has never felt that way nor... investigated enough, I can't tell). Like, I'm hetero, but that doesn't mean that I like every girl.
2-Nope.
3-...yes and no, it really depends on the religion and the person following it. If I have to say I'd say yes, there will be always a religion with a case against something, lol.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,329
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, labels are used to define or classify groups of people or specific trends.... A label will be there the moment something starts because people will try to define it and put it into context and relate it to behaviors and whatnot. So... I don't think you can avoid labels because there is nothing really stopping us from trying to understand, classify and generalize things. Non-sexuality could just as easily be another label in that regard. I would argue that basic human curiosity and our need to understand things will inevitably result in labels of some form or context.

As far as the church thing, I doubt they would be cool with it but I guess it ultimately depends on the specific religion in question. If we go into Christianity in particular it usually makes a big deal out of the whole "prosper and multiply" so they would take a moral stand against anything that gets in the way of multiplying. I guess most religions will have something against men and women not calling themselves that though. Since non-sexuality seems to be something which you hope won't be defined it is actually hard to go deeper into this because the question is whether churches will be cool with something that does not have any specific characteristics attached to it.

As for the bit under the unfairness part... What? The guy was gay, he is simply not attracted to women. It is in no way or context about you.... Its not an issue of him discriminating you or anything of the sort, if he is gay then he is literally incapable of feeling sexually attracted to you. If he actually had the capacity to feel sexually attracted to women then he would not be gay, he would be straight or bixsexual or whatever else, its not about him not giving you a chance....

I don't think you can just choose a sexuality... Most people don't anyways. I guess you can be bisexual or pansexual and within your available options you can choose a specific group of people you will primarily target but that is ultimately your choice, it will not however affect your state as pansexual or bisexual or whatnot since you will still have the capacity to fall in love with everything that is available to pansexuals.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The scientific community in most countries accepts the labels, come to think of it, they are the ones "coming up with it". Anyone heard of gender studies and family studies as courses?

It's just that "gay" and "lesbian" which might be considered street terms are done so in a more scientific manner to fit academia with "homosexual". I can see however how someone would think of that as a label, but it's pretty clear where the relabeling of labels is originating from.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It sounds a little weird, and I get that, especially because it seems like theres a sexuality for everything... except for NOT having a sexuality?
The terms are defined as follows.

Sexuality: Do you like exclusively guys, exclusively women, both, or none? I believe it goes heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and uninterested.
Gender: Do you identify as a woman, man, or between?
Sex: Are you interested in sex or not (asexual)?
Romance: Are you interested in romantic connection or not (aromantic)?

Basically, I believe sexualities are labels.
So are nationalities. That doesn't make them any less necessary. Labels =/= stereotypes.

It's the most frustrating thing. I don't want to labelled.
Well then don't label yourself.

I want to be me, not "that pansexual girl".
Who's calling you that? If you haven't announced yourself as "that pansexual girl", the only reason you'd be called that is because the person saying it is trying to be mean.

It seems so... dull in a way,
Sexuality is not about uniqueness. It's about describing yourself. If you want to be unique, change things you can control. Sexuality, race, heritage, etc. are things you can't control.

I want to be ME. If only society would allow that.
Society does. Unless society suddenly required everyone to register our sexual orientations with the government. Somehow I think that's unlikely.

but to me, it was like saying "I don't like you, I won't like, and I don't like anyone who is like you and I never will". It hurt. I became very attached to him for a while so during that time everything seemed to crumble.
It happens. It wouldn't matter whether he was gay, straight or genderfluid. Sometimes people don't reciprocate affections. It can hurt, but give it a year or two and you'll be fine.

I believe that I can fall in love with anyone, not just girls or just guys.
You only can figure that if you've got the experience suggesting it. Do you?

I know for a matter of fact that I'm attracted to girls, but whether or not I'm attracted to men is another. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.
Just sounds like you're between bisexual and homosexual. But whatevs.

But how can I choose just one sexuality? How can one sexuality decide who I am when it comes to love?
You don't "choose" a sexuality. Neither does it define your romantic life. The word is just a description.

How will this choice take affect in my life?
Hey, I don't even know you.

I Just to skip the trauma, why not just NOT have a sexuality?
You are attracted to people, so it seems pretty obvious you do have a sexuality.

IIf you broke it down, I suppose I would be pansexual or possibly lesbian, however, back to step 1, stereotyping.
The word "lesbian" isn't a fudging stereotype. It's just a word. There's nothing wrong with being lesbian or pansexual, or heterosexual or homosexual, or anything. Again, sexuality definitions aren't a competition for the most weird.

1. Do you think that someone can just NOT have a sexuality? Why or why not?
Those are people just not interested in romance or sex. You definitely do, judging from your post.

2. Would you consider non-sexuality for yourself?
I don't *choose* what orientation I am. I know I am heterosexual.

3. Do you think that religion (like Christianity) would be a problem with non-sexuality? Why?
Religions don't exist solely for the purpose of regulating sex organs, as much as they act like it. And there is so much variation between religions, it's just darn ridiculous to generalize attitudes towards sexualities.
 

Claymore1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
924
Reaction score
438
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I am heterosexual, but I don't have any interest in romance or sex.

When I was 15 years old (prime age for a teenager's sexuality), I lost all interest in sex. It took me a long time to even realize that I wasn't looking at girls anymore. I am still that way now (almost 4 years later). I don't have a problem with it now because I am used to it. It is strange to me to see how other people act around the opposite sex. I don't know if this will change over the years or not, but it doesn't seem to matter to me very much.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I am heterosexual, but I don't have any interest in romance or sex.

When I was 15 years old (prime age for a teenager's sexuality), I lost all interest in sex. It took me a long time to even realize that I wasn't looking at girls anymore. I am still that way now (almost 4 years later). I don't have a problem with it now because I am used to it. It is strange to me to see how other people act around the opposite sex. I don't know if this will change over the years or not, but it doesn't seem to matter to me very much.
You're not sexually attracted to anyone at all?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I've never been totally sure why some people can be so against "labels" in general. I mean, I get not wanting to be solely defined by a single (or even multiple) labels, but that's how we identify things that are different and manage to communicate effectively.

Homosexual, heterosexual, blonde, black, white, tall, short, fat, skinny. To say someone is heterosexual doesn't mean that's all they are. It simply implies that their sexuality is focused mainly on the opposite sex. In normal everyday interactions, a label describing sexuality may not be necessary, but in classrooms and labs it certainly would be. Labels are just meant to help describe things. Don't let them be used negatively ;)

Also, yeah I think it's totally possible to not have a sexuality. I've never met anyone like that myself, but I can't imagine why it couldn't be possible or even relatively common.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,329
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I blame society for the whole thing against labels (seriously though). Realistically speaking there is actually a lot of pressure for young people to be unique. Parents convince themselves that their kids are basically pretty little snowflakes and raise them as such. Then you have kids believing they are unique and whatnot grow up and it turns out that as they do everyone labels them. They are no longer unique, they are whatever they were labeled as. So once that potential brain tumors settles in you have society telling you all this wonderful stuff about unique people that change the world and all that stuff. People from history are made out to be almost mythical, leaders are made out to be infallible, steve jobs was more than a good salesman and bill gates was never an asshole to anyone. So you grow up believing you are unique, then find out you are just a person and then the pressure to be a pretty little snowflake kicks in. And the thing is, its pointless... If you really were just you, if you were unique then you wouldn't need to concern yourself with how other people label you. You would be too busy being yourself....
 

Claymore1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
924
Reaction score
438
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You're not sexually attracted to anyone at all?
I haven't met anyone that I am attracted too. I never even notice what girls are wearing. People walk past me and I don't know if they were a boy or a girl because I didn't care enough to pay attention. I'm a generally apathetic person.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I haven't met anyone that I am attracted too. I never even notice what girls are wearing. People walk past me and I don't know if they were a boy or a girl because I didn't care enough to pay attention. I'm a generally apathetic person.
In your first post you mentioned how you no longer care about sex. It sort of suggests that you did at one time, but you're also saying you've never been attracted to anyone. Kind of confusing me here. It's sort of hard to call yourself anything but asexual if you've never had an attraction to anyone.

Well, not to pry or anything...was just curious
 

Claymore1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
924
Reaction score
438
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In your first post you mentioned how you no longer care about sex. It sort of suggests that you did at one time, but you're also saying you've never been attracted to anyone. Kind of confusing me here. It's sort of hard to call yourself anything but asexual if you've never had an attraction to anyone.

Well, not to pry or anything...was just curious
I haven't met anyone that I am attracted to physically, or emotionally, in a very long time. A few years I considered myself to pretty normal. I would think about girls in my class or just hot girls in general, not any different from other guys. But I don't do that anymore. I have had crushes on girls in the past but nothing happened with them. I wouldn't say that I am asexual though, I think it is just extreme apathy.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I don't think you're asexual, but more like you haven't met someone who would stimulate you.
 

Ibafarshan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2018
Messages
55
Reaction score
71
Age
26
Country
Italy
I'm with the people who says your body doesn't define your sexuality, this may coming from me having more than one friends that are like that.
I never experienced sexual attraction, that's what made me thinking I might be asexual, thugh I've had my fair share of crushes on boys, that woud make me heterosexual.
On this note.....it's 2017 and about a month ago (in june), a child was born genderless. The child is male but the couple decided to leave the gender section blank in the child's birth certificate. This pertains to gender so the parents see it fit that the child will decide their own gender when they come of age. I don't know how to feel about this.
Could be a wise decision, seeming as many grown ups are fighting to change their gender/name.
 

Vis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
588
Reaction score
911
Country
United Kingdom
1. Do you think that someone can just NOT have a sexuality? Why or why not?
I don't think so, I think it's a matter of how sexual you are, and sometimes, it falls under the really non-visible part of the spectrum to the point that you consider it non-existent.

2. Would you consider non-sexuality for yourself?
I don't believe you have any control over your sexuality or your lack thereof, so this would be neither a yes or a no, it's simply the wrong question asked.

3. Do you think that religion (like Christianity) would be a problem with non-sexuality? Why?
There are actually contrasting arguments in the Bible about this issue, one about man being able to focus on God better if they don't pursue their sexuality, but there are also teachings saying men are to reproduce and stuff like that. Been awhile since Religious Studies so I can't remember the verses exactly.
 

TitaniumOxide

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
1,124
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can only speak for myself. And...I cannot imagine not having a sexual attraction towards females. Like even if my gf is currently the most attractive looking lady on this side of the mall I am still gonna check out all the ladies passing by and taking longer glances at the ones I find good looking. Like so many others, I can't help it. So for me the answer is no I cannot not have asexual attraction to all the fair ladies out there.
 

then00b

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 19, 2019
Messages
24
Reaction score
13
Country
United States
Asexual is a thing, probably rather uncommon.
I don't think you necessarily have to do anything with or about it, since the only time it should come up is if someone asks you out I guess, and you just turn them down.
As for social norms, again in general I don't know why anyone would care. But for religions in particular, they were social constructs to govern tribal states and such, they specifically wanted larger populations so they could compete against neighbors or other enemies thus why they were adamantly against homosexuality and such. There are other dumber reasons for religious rules but in regards to sexuality you should never care what religion has to say on anything, especially sex.
 
Top