Football 2014 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Wtf are you talking about, how the hell is this easy?. And he did almost the exact same save 4 minutes before that and looked like a god.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Ok Messi, we need a 3rd one now.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

No, Rojo, I said Messi.
Just in case, relying too much on one player might come back to bite later on. :XD Not saying superstars don't make a difference, but they can have their flukes ...
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Argentina played better than the previous two matches, but I see its defense as its weakness... Nigeria played well, too, it would have more chances if the opponent weren't France.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Well because people hype people based on the goals they score, most of all xD IMO Neymar has played incredible compared to Messi, whom has had a few "moments of brilliance" like people put it in the past two matches and saved Argentina. Silly really to talk about "unfair" in football, but still I feel like Neymar deserves more praise so far than Messi. He's been consistently good in all the matches, just getting better and better in every match, and "only" scored 3 goals. Messi's goals have all been good but still Neymar has done more IMO. Messi played a lot better this match too compared to other matches, plus scored twice, but I still think Neymar has delivered more.
IIRC, against Croatia the man of the match was Nishimura Oscar. Neymar had 1 good play in the first half and that's pretty much it. Same could be said with Messi against Bosnia.

Against Mexico he couldn't beat Jesus. Messi on the other hand scored in the last minute against a 7-3-0

Against Cameroon (a team that had no chance to qualify) Neymar had a great match. Same could be said with Messi now.

I dunno how Neymar deserves more praise than Messi really.

Argentina played better than the previous two matches, but I see its defense as its weakness... Nigeria played well, too, it would have more chances if the opponent weren't France.
Of course we played better, Nigeria didn't defend with 10 people. And yeah, our defense was shit today.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
France scored with 5 different people last match. That's what I like to see honestly, not just one man being able to score. Never thought I'd say this but vive la france! Looking forward to the match in 2 hrs!

Really entertaining Nigeria v Argentina match. Didn't think it would be this good. I missed the arm breaking though, wth.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
I obviously disagree Hardy. I think you heavily downplay Neymar's play in earlier matches now. He was basically the only one consistently making good plays, being a dynamic player, making great runs, attracting multiple players every time he moved, making varied plays and really looking dangerous. I don't know how on earth Oscar got MVP in the first match if that's true. I don't agree with that but guess masses are "right" here if they voted him as MVP. In an otherwise dull looking Brazil in the first two matches, Neymar was the only bright star for me. Pretty much everyone I've talked with agree on this point. I mean most expert opinions I've read too since the first match have uttered opinions like "Neymar is looking great but the rest of the team needs to step up their game or he becomes too alone."
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
France scored with 5 different people last match. That's what I like to see honestly, not just one man being able to score. Never thought I'd say this but vive la france! Looking forward to the match in 2 hrs!
Who care who makes the goals. I don't think that any coach cares, any fan cares, any commentator cares. XD
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Who care who makes the goals. I don't think that any coach cares, any fan cares, any commentator cares. XD
Huh? That many players are in form and have the obvious ability to score goals is very positive for the team.

And that's just wrong, of course people care who score, but mostly that's about the "one man that scores", people care if Messi scores one goal, or many. When he was taken off people said "there goes the possible hattrick" etc. People do care. But that wasn't my point, but what I mentioned in the first line in this post. As for coaches they often speak very positively whether one man scores many goals, e.g. Messi scores 3, or if 3 different people score 1 each. Each are positive in their own way, yeah.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Well, let's go back and read what people at that time said:

Oscar was the best of the game. Great match. Next is Mexico, which is always troublesome.
Oscar was superb that game. He deserved to score.
Croatias defense was rock solid. Everything is possible in Football. But Brazil was bad tonight.
Of course Oscar was outstandng but still... The referee was clearly pro Brazil...
Oscar was man of the match for me he played one hell of a game.
Oh, right...In the second half, that was the best performance I've ever seen out of Oscar. It made it clear that he phoned it in for a lot of this season so as to be rested for the WC. Not a fan of that move.
Neymar was barely mentioned in the comments btw.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Huh? That many players are in form and have the obvious ability to score goals is very positive for the team.

And that's just wrong, of course people care who score, but mostly that's about the "one man that scores", people care if Messi scores one goal, or many. When he was taken off people said "there goes the possible hattrick" etc. People do care. But that wasn't my point, but what I mentioned in the first line in this post. As for coaches they often speak very positively whether one man scores many goals, e.g. Messi scores 3, or if 3 different people score 1 each. Each are positive in their own way, yeah.
Who made the goal was just that person who kicked the ball and put it into the goal, the easy part of the entire play most of the time. That's why, most of the time, it is not the goal that is beautiful, it is the entire play, what was made and how it was made to reach the goal.
Messi, Neymar and some others are acknowledged because of their uniques abilities to reach the goal, not by the goals themselves.
 
Last edited:

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Well, let's go back and read what people at that time said:

Neymar was barely mentioned in the comments btw.
ROFL, I didn't mean people here xD But I'm not going to go back and read old posts so let's say people here found Neymar average that game. Guess I forgot how impressive Oscar was that game but I found Neymar great as well.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Who made the goal was just that person who kicked the ball and put it into the goal, the easy part of the entire play most of the time. That's why, most of the time, it is not the goal that is beautiful, it is the entire play, what was made and how it was made to reach the goal.
Messi, Neymar and some others are acknowledged because of their uniques abilities to reach the goal, not by the goals itself.
Yeah thanks I know all this. I'm often one of the ones not praising the easy goal putting but the play. But try telling that to the average watcher. There's a reason you see things like this being hyped "MESSI with hattrick for Barcelona", and all the praise of "the little magician does it again" etc when 1 goal was a penalty, another was an easy put from 2 meter in open goal from beautiful foreplay by Xavi, Iniesta or whoever, and perhaps a nice goal as a third. Still people hype the goals often more than the actual foreplay. That's also what people remember afterwards. People don't remember who set the goals up, or if they came from huge mistakes by the opponent team. They remember the goals and who scored them xD
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah thanks I know all this. I'm often one of the ones not praising the easy goal putting but the play. But try telling that to the average watcher. There's a reason you see things like this being hyped "MESSI with hattrick for Barcelona", and all the praise of "the little magician does it again" etc when 1 goal was a penalty, another was an easy put from 2 meter in open goal from beautiful foreplay by Xavi, Iniesta or whoever, and perhaps a nice goal as a third. Still people hype the goals often more than the actual foreplay. That's also what people remember afterwards. People don't remember who set the goals up, or if they came from huge mistakes by the opponent team. They remember the goals and who scored them xD
Sure, but you said that France made 5 goals with 5 different players as if it was better than 5 goals by one player only. It is not true, goals are goals, it doesn't matter who made them. That's the point. It matters more the entire team having the ability to reach the goal together in a play than who put the ball inside.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Sure, but you said that France made 5 goals with 5 different players as if it was better than 5 goals by one player only. It is not true, goals are goals, it doesn't matter who made them. That's the point. It matters more the entire team having the ability to reach the goal than who put the ball inside.
Yeah I agree with that. Should've worded that differently. The point was they looked good as a team in the previous match <-- Better and quick one I guess.

Personally I often do enjoy seeing many players having the ability to finish the attack however. So many choke when it comes to finishing. It's nice to see the collective succeed also in finishing. Though many goals are almost 100% served pre-last touch.
 
Last edited:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Still nothing official for him ??
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still nothing official for him ??
The decision will be made by next Uruguay match.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Yeah I agree with that. Should've worded that differently. The point was they looked good as a team in the previous match <-- Better and quick one I guess.

Personally I often do enjoy seeing many players having the ability to finish the attack however. So many choke when it comes to finishing. It's nice to see the collective succeed also in finishing. Though many goals are almost 100% served pre-last touch.
Collective is all that matters. Look at Portugal, has the best player of the world, but that's it.
Cristiano Ronaldo is able to give his all in Real Madrid because it is Real Madrid. XD
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Yeah, I always say that too :nod So many are too focused on him as an individual sadly. While he has underperformed he doesn't have remotely the same team of the necessary level to play like he does "normally".

Amanhã vamos ganhar! Or not :kappa

Btw tomorrow you gonna see some more media slaughter of individual vs collective if Cristiano doesn't score. "Ronaldo goes home from WC without having scored ONCE! SCANDAL!!" Media I swear :nah
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yeah, I always say that too :nod So many are too focused on him as an individual sadly. While he has underperformed he doesn't have remotely the same team of the necessary level to play like he does "normally".

Amanhã vamos ganhar! Or not :kappa

Btw tomorrow you gonna see some more media slaughter of individual vs collective if Cristiano doesn't score. "Ronaldo goes home from WC without having scored ONCE! SCANDAL!!" Media I swear :nah
Well, Portugal was pretty damn awful this WC. If not for Michael Bradley giving the ball away for no reason at the end of the match, Ronaldo wouldn't have even had the chance to swing in the cross. That one cross was better than anything the rest of his team did combined over two matches.

The way I saw this WC was that Portugal might have a chance to win it if everyone's on form and Ronaldo's performing. On the other hand, if people are off form and Ronaldo's still injured, they could go out in the group stages, although I still thought that they'd have too much class to sink below the US and Ghana, regardless of anything. Technically, Portugal can still make it through, and with more rest, Portugal's fortunes could improve.

You're right, though, he'll get slaughtered in the media if he doesn't score against Ghana.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Well, Portugal was pretty damn awful this WC. If not for Michael Bradley giving the ball away for no reason at the end of the match, Ronaldo wouldn't have even had the chance to swing in the cross. That one cross was better than anything the rest of his team did combined over two matches.

The way I saw this WC was that Portugal might have a chance to win it if everyone's on form and Ronaldo's performing. On the other hand, if people are off form and Ronaldo's still injured, they could go out in the group stages, although I still thought that they'd have too much class to sink below the US and Ghana, regardless of anything. Technically, Portugal can still make it through, and with more rest, Portugal's fortunes could improve.

You're right, though, he'll get slaughtered in the media if he doesn't score against Ghana.
I wasn't really worried before the WC. The logical conclusion was: Germany will be hard, likely a loss but possibly a small chance for upset or at least draw, but likely loss. Other two matches should be wins. In football anything can happen and you can't underestimate teams, but I wasn't really taking the thought seriously of US or Ghana advancing over Portugal. A slim chance at best, but very unlikely. In the end both teams performed way above the level I expected, especially US, and Portugal performed way below what anyone and I expected. To be fair the reason US dominated Portugal and was thus allowed to look so great is because Portugal vastly underperformed in the WC. At a standard (even normal slump) form no one would really think US would dominate Portugal. It will be interesting to see how US performs vs Germany honestly.

From previous matches Ghana has looked stronger than Portugal. The team has slumped too heavily at a bad timing. I don't have any hopes of advancing, especially with Ronaldo being a toxic scrub on the field as a fking captain. Disgusting to watch. Our team deserves to gtfo and learn a lesson. Even if we could win over Ghana we're too dependent of US conceding many goals/us scoring many. Latter not happening IMO.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Woa, Sakho lost his head there. Dat elbow =O
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
France dominating the game, Ecuador barely plays... Switzerland is doing its job in the other match kicking Ecuador out of the Cup. It is a shame, Ecuador will be the only one out of "America Cup". XD
That's good for my bracket though, to hell with Ecuador. :XD

I'm first now!
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
oh i forgot about the fantasy game, roflmao. wonder how I'm doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top