Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

goodyfresh

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
92
Reaction score
70
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

First off, Togashi made YYH.. so he can do whatever the hell he wants.
Second, Togashi made HxH... so he can STILL do whatever the hell he wants.

I totally understand the frustration from loooong time fans. I didn't discover hxh until last year.. while YYH has been my favorite series since I was like... 14 (I'm 27 now lol). Here's the deal though.. I would rather Togashi take constant breaks instead of not doing so and giving us what we've gotten from naruto and bleach for the last couple of years. I'm not going to get into a discussion about those series, but both of them TO ME were WAAAAAY better during the first half of the series. HxH? It's been flawless from chapter 1 to the newest chapter.

It really does suck though that we basically didn't get any HxH for the entire month of august... think we got a chapter that first week of august, but thats it. Oh well... maybe Togashi will deliver a chapter full of the phantom troupe to make up for the long wait, or the Zoldycks... I would vastly prefer the troupe though.

Edit: Fairy Tail WAS one of my favorite series... but then when characters started surviving point blank explosions the size of the rose, then I totally lose interest.

for example :
When that dude Asuma totally blew up Erza and I think Mirajane.... it was said over and over that they would die. They have a massive explosion go off on their ankle and there is nothing but a burn mark where the explosion went off.

Then we have Happy taking a point blank - nuclear explosion type blast, and he survived because of some stupid shit. Didn't Happy see a cloud that looked like a fish, so he flew up insanely fast to eat it, avoiding the explosion? I was so pissed about getting trolled once again so hard that I dont even want to remember what exactly happened lol.

It's just like Bleach... once you know that not a single main cast character will actually die then the suspense is just gone. The list for fairy tail can go on forever about this... lol..

Oh, and dont even counter with "but Lucy from the future died" .. she was from the future, so i dont count that. It's ridiculous that not a single fairy tail mage has died once.
My point that H x H and One Piece both started aroudn the same time, but H x H is only at fewer than HALF as many chapters as OP, is definitely still valid though :p

One Piece is another series where you can always be pretty sure nobody too important will die, ESPECIALLY not any of the Straw Hat Crew. But that's kind of necessary if you think about it. . .the Straw Hat Crew is so TINY that each and every one of its members forms an ESSENTIAL part of their strength and such, so the loss of any one of them would basically make it next to impossible for Luffy to achieve his Pirate King dream and all that! Even the loss of Usopp would be catastrophic, I mean who else would aim and shoot the cannons and stuff even close to as well as he does? He's the SNIPER, dammit, teh SNIPER! Lol. And losing Brooke is not an option because Pirate Crews NEED A MUSICIAN, lololol, and also he's immortal due to his DF power so he's kinda necessary as the guy who will live forever to be able to pass on the tales of the Straw Hats' exploits to future generations once the story is over.

But yeah IN GENERAL, I get really annoyed when it is quite clear that no matter what kinda shit they go through, none of the main characters in a manga will ever die simply due to massive amounts of plot-armor. At least in One Piece, Oda manages to usually lampshade the trope quite heavily in a humorous way. But then you have a series like Fairy Tail or Bleach where we are practically bludgeoned over the head with that shit, and it's just annoying.
Right now, I'm ALMOST HOPING that Zombie-Hitsugaya will actually die in Bleach. But of course theres' no way that will really happen, haha.


One interesting thing about One Piece is how Oda USED to never kill off even his VILLAINS, to the point that they would survive in completely improbable ways and have funny cover-page-side-stories later on! But ever since after the Time Skip and the entry to the New World, Oda has appeared far more willing to kill characters, at least the villains. Just look at what happened to
Monet and Vergo
for example!
 
Last edited:

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

Sometimes people don't want backlashes, sometimes they just don't want to waste time. Let's face it, authors like Oda(who takes breaks every other week despite having a school of assistants), or Togashi hardly have good excuses for their breaks. People will always defend them instead of just accepting that they are(most of the time) just being lazy. So there is no point in calling them for their lazy-assness.

If you make fun of Togashi's laziness in a One Piece forum while praising Oda, hardly anyone will complain. It's the same vice-versa.

Want an example of an actually passionate author? Look at Hiro Mashima. He has one assistant(as far as I know), and has been doing Fairy Tail since 2006(and going) without taking a SINGLE break aside from the breaks that the Magazine itself take. Instead of taking a break every other week, he's actually giving extra pages + color pages every now and then. I even hear he hasn't taken a break even in his previous Manga, Rave Master.
It's pretty funny how easily people call them lazy when they actually have a really harsh schedule and barely any free time :XD They can hardly take a break and compared to pretty much every work out there, where people take at least a few weeks of each year, people start bitching and whining as soon as a mangaka dares to take a one week break. Even more funny if the mangaka really is sick and people start to say they could release a chapter anyway, while staying at home when they themselves are sick.

Going so far as to say "Wow I wish people had work ethics like Mashima" is plain ridiculous. Everyone should realize that each mangaka needs more or less time to draw, create a storyboard, coloring stuff etc., so there might be a lot of guys who spend as much time as Mashima working on their manga, but are simply slower in one of those aspects. Or they might actually do something else for once, instead of drawing manga, like attending meetings or events. How dare they get sick once or twice a year though, they should take care of their body like Mashima! xD
We hardly know anything about a mangaka's life or schedule, and yet people are so fast with throwing out terms like "lazy" or "not passionate". Geez, this is so silly.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

I know it can be really annoying that Togashi's taking breaks already, and it can be claimed to be laziness, but we really don't know what Togashi is going through right now? "Oh! Back pain is nothing--you can still draw!" How do you know that? Some people out there have crippling back pain where they can't sit in a chair for more than 30 minutes at a time without walking around. Some people have to rest and stay in bed. Maybe Togashi threw out his back and can't sit down and draw--it sucks sitting down and moving around in an uncomfortable chair for a prolonged period of time with back pain.

Or maybe he actually doesn't feel like working right now or he has a writer's block or something. Personally, I'd rather him take these breaks and give us a higher quality story rather than write something because he has to and it turns out to be utter crap because his creative juices aren't flowing at the time. I have mad respect for Mashima and his work ethic, but different artists work at different paces that make them comfortable and sometimes that means one takes more breaks than others.

But, he has a planned issue he's resuming in a few weeks, and I guess we'll see what happens after that.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

It's pretty funny how easily people call them lazy when they actually have a really harsh schedule and barely any free time :XD They can hardly take a break and compared to pretty much every work out there, where people take at least a few weeks of each year, people start bitching and whining as soon as a mangaka dares to take a one week break. Even more funny if the mangaka really is sick and people start to say they could release a chapter anyway, while staying at home when they themselves are sick.

Going so far as to say "Wow I wish people had work ethics like Mashima" is plain ridiculous. Everyone should realize that each mangaka needs more or less time to draw, create a storyboard, coloring stuff etc., so there might be a lot of guys who spend as much time as Mashima working on their manga, but are simply slower in one of those aspects. Or they might actually do something else for once, instead of drawing manga, like attending meetings or events. How dare they get sick once or twice a year though, they should take care of their body like Mashima! xD
We hardly know anything about a mangaka's life or schedule, and yet people are so fast with throwing out terms like "lazy" or "not passionate". Geez, this is so silly.
No, it's really not funny. Compared to every other work? Can you imagine how the world would be if every worker took a break every other week? Aside from the fact that they would probably be fired for their bitchassness at every little thing, the world would be in quite the chaotic state. And once again, highlight on the "every work out there." Are you trying to say that being a Mangaka with an army of assistants(Oda has someone that draws the backgrounds for him as well) is the most difficult job out there? No. It's not the most difficult or stressful job for that matter. Being a doctor, a soldier, or even a teacher is a stressful job. Because unlike Mangakas, they actually have responsibilities to deliver to their community so they can't really start taking a few weeks for every little thing that comes their way. Okay, what if someone needs an operation right away and goes to the hospital only to get told by the reception "Oh sorry, the doctor has a little headache and took a 3 weeks break for it, so he can't really save your friends life lol." Maybe that's why Oda once stated that he chose to be a Mangaka because he doesn't want a "real job." Besides, they all chose to be Mangakas, so it's a little too late to ask for a break every other week.

It's plain ridiculous because you don't like it? Are you saying that Hiro works less than other authors or that he's some sort of monster that doesn't really get sick or want to see his family even for a span of 8 years of working on a weekly series that is known for it's incredibly detailed art(story not so much)? And is currently doing two monthly series while doing a weekly one? And is known to grab his work tools and start working from the moment he wakes up all the way to after midnight? The only difference here is that he actually cares about his fans. Also, people don't call them lazy every time authors take breaks. Who told you that? I don't call Kishimoto lazy when he takes breaks from time to time. Because it's not as frequent as Togashi and Oda, and it usually has a good reason behind it. But if it's an every other week thing, maybe it's time to just call it laziness. Also, if they are actually sick, and that disease stops them from writing, they are free to take a break. Like when Oda was actually in the hospital bed(although he still continued to work). But it starts getting annoying when someone is like "my left leg hurt, so I can't write for the next two weeks" when his leg is not even remotely involved in writing a Manga. Or when someone takes a break for 2 years only to find him playing Dragon Quest in a ridiculously dirty room? Just sayin'...
 

Zoro Zoldyck

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
292
Reaction score
71
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Iraq
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

I really hope Togashi can come back soon and I hope his treatment goes well, HxH can't be just left there because it's a really great series with a LOT of fans especially because of the anime..
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,707
Reaction score
61,409
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

For Mashima I don't think it's only because of his work ethic but because he is passionate, he can draw several chapters a week and he likes it, he is a special case, everybody can't be like him.

Togashi is not really at fault when you think about it, a Jump author is supposed to draw a chapter per week, when you are not the higher ups are supposed to stop your manga. Togashi released chapters regularly too before, I don't know what happened exactly when he was drawing the end YYH but he published HXH somewhat regularly at the beginning. They can stop his manga but it would be a loss for them(HXH sells very well), he has plenty of money already, no matter what you say about his laziness Togashi loves manga otherwise he could have just stopped drawing, the story is good and it's because he puts effort into it, there are even rumors that he worked without assistants. We have no real choice either, we are obliged to wait for him because we like his manga or the ones who don't want to can just drop it.

During his previous hiatuses he didn't give a single reason and it's clear that he was not sick all this time when you see him pics of enjoying his life and posting that he is used to drop his kids at school, now the drawings are consistent and he even gives reason for his absence, I was disappointed when I learned there would not be a chapter too but compared to before it's a huge improvement, we know when he will come back. I suppose he has these privileges because he discussed about it with the Jump execs before starting HXH or maybe he has a chronic disease. It's clear that he has advantages that the others have not. Oda is the same, he likes his job but it's still tiring, One Piece is the king of Jump, his regular breaks are possible because they permitted him to do so. At this point, continuing to say that he is lazy and annoying is understandable but this topic is old news and we said everything about it already. Everybody is used to it... I prefer to wait 2 weeks for a new chapter than 2 years.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

It's funny how some people go ballistic for a two week break. And call him lazy, try drawing with back pain and see how much work you get done. Unless people want some of the horrible chapters of the Ant arc being drawn.
 

Demon Mark

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
99
Reaction score
22
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

It's funny how some people go ballistic for a two week break. And call him lazy, try drawing with back pain and see how much work you get done. Unless people want some of the horrible chapters of the Ant arc being drawn.
You would think he is taking 4 months of or something by peoples reactions lol.
 

Zoro Zoldyck

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
292
Reaction score
71
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Iraq
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

For Mashima I don't think it's only because of his work ethic but because he is passionate, he can draw several chapters a week and he likes it, he is a special case, everybody can't be like him.

Togashi is not really at fault when you think about it, a Jump author is supposed to draw a chapter per week, when you are not the higher ups are supposed to stop your manga. Togashi released chapters regularly too before, I don't know what happened exactly when he was drawing the end YYH but he published HXH somewhat regularly at the beginning. They can stop his manga but it would be a loss for them(HXH sells very well), he has plenty of money already, no matter what you say about his laziness Togashi loves manga otherwise he could have just stopped drawing, the story is good and it's because he puts effort into it, there are even rumors that he worked without assistants. We have no real choice either, we are obliged to wait for him because we like his manga or the ones who don't want to can just drop it.

During his previous hiatuses he didn't give a single reason and it's clear that he was not sick all this time when you see him pics of enjoying his life and posting that he is used to drop his kids at school, now the drawings are consistent and he even gives reason for his absence, I was disappointed when I learned there would not be a chapter too but compared to before it's a huge improvement, we know when he will come back. I suppose he has these privileges because he discussed about it with the Jump execs before starting HXH or maybe he has a chronic disease. It's clear that he has advantages that the others have not. Oda is the same, he likes his job but it's still tiring, One Piece is the king of Jump, his regular breaks are possible because they permitted him to do so. At this point, continuing to say that he is lazy and annoying is understandable but this topic is old news and we said everything about it already. Everybody is used to it... I prefer to wait 2 weeks for a new chapter than 2 years.
Really hoping what you're saying is true about only waiting for two weeks and not 2 years..
I'd totally just give up hope if he just stops like he did 2-3 years ago
 

goodyfresh

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
92
Reaction score
70
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

No, it's really not funny. Compared to every other work? Can you imagine how the world would be if every worker took a break every other week? Aside from the fact that they would probably be fired for their bitchassness at every little thing, the world would be in quite the chaotic state. And once again, highlight on the "every work out there." Are you trying to say that being a Mangaka with an army of assistants(Oda has someone that draws the backgrounds for him as well) is the most difficult job out there? No. It's not the most difficult or stressful job for that matter. Being a doctor, a soldier, or even a teacher is a stressful job. Because unlike Mangakas, they actually have responsibilities to deliver to their community so they can't really start taking a few weeks for every little thing that comes their way. Okay, what if someone needs an operation right away and goes to the hospital only to get told by the reception "Oh sorry, the doctor has a little headache and took a 3 weeks break for it, so he can't really save your friends life lol." Maybe that's why Oda once stated that he chose to be a Mangaka because he doesn't want a "real job." Besides, they all chose to be Mangakas, so it's a little too late to ask for a break every other week.

It's plain ridiculous because you don't like it? Are you saying that Hiro works less than other authors or that he's some sort of monster that doesn't really get sick or want to see his family even for a span of 8 years of working on a weekly series that is known for it's incredibly detailed art(story not so much)? And is currently doing two monthly series while doing a weekly one? And is known to grab his work tools and start working from the moment he wakes up all the way to after midnight? The only difference here is that he actually cares about his fans. Also, people don't call them lazy every time authors take breaks. Who told you that? I don't call Kishimoto lazy when he takes breaks from time to time. Because it's not as frequent as Togashi and Oda, and it usually has a good reason behind it. But if it's an every other week thing, maybe it's time to just call it laziness. Also, if they are actually sick, and that disease stops them from writing, they are free to take a break. Like when Oda was actually in the hospital bed(although he still continued to work). But it starts getting annoying when someone is like "my left leg hurt, so I can't write for the next two weeks" when his leg is not even remotely involved in writing a Manga. Or when someone takes a break for 2 years only to find him playing Dragon Quest in a ridiculously dirty room? Just sayin'...
^^^This post right here, SO MUCH WIN. Thank you sir.


And guys guys, I've already said that IT'S NOT THE TWO WEEK BREAK THAT I AM BITCHING ABOUT. A two-week break is FINE, no big deal, whatever man. It's the START OF THE PATTERN all over again. First, it starts as one and two week breaks here and there. Then, Togashi starts taking breaks more and more often. ANd then before we know it he'll be on hiatus again. What I'm upset about is that it seems to be STARTING AGAIN, the pattern that we all DREAD when it comes to the publication of H x H. The same pattern which is the reason that despite H x H and One Piece both beginning around the same time in like 1999 or so, H x H has fewer than half as many chapters out as One Piece!

It really is true btw that being a mangaka tends to be one of the LEAST DEMANDING careers a person can possibly have, as this guy I quoted above was saying. Hell, Eiichiro Oda EVEN OUTRIGHT SAYS that he wanted to become a mangaka so he "wouldn't need to have a real job." It's also true, as this guy and many others have pointed out, that Togashi has been caught OUTRIGHT LYING countless times in the past when it comes to his excuses for taking breaks. Like that time they caught him playing Dragon Quest in the dirty room, like this guy mentioned. Or the times he claimed to be sick and stuck home in bed, but then was spotted and photographed having fun out on the town with his family. That is just annoying, and gives people the impression that he does not give a fuck about us, his fans, nor does he respect us enough to be honest with us.
 
Last edited:

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

It really is true btw that being a mangaka tends to be one of the LEAST DEMANDING careers a person can possibly have, as this guy I quoted above was saying. .
Least demanding?? In which kind of dream world do you live? Seriously. Do you not know anything about the schedule of a weekly manga artist? They work 7 days a week, yes no days off and usually sit in a room with no windows and draw(or think about the story) for more than 16 hours a day. Oda you quoted, he sleeps 4 hours a day and when he is busy with extra stuff like a movie he sleeps 3 hours a day. He goes home to his family twice a YEAR. Other weekly manga artist are less busy than Oda but they work also their asses of. Kishi somehow managed his schedule that he gets one whole day off. Yes one whole day. The one who did Mago had a similar schedule to Oda but he got more sleep.

Togashi gives a shit about his readers. And? He doesn’t have to care for his readers. When he wants to spend his time having fun by spending time with his family, reading books, watching movies, traveling and playing video games he shall.
What most people complain about (at least who are not assholes) is his unprofessionalism. If he would adjust to some kind of schedule like 1 chapter a month (could be only 20 pages) or if he would serialize from January to March every Year or something like that, most people who are not assholes would stop complaining. What annoys people the most is uncertainty when will he stop, when will he be back or even if he will be back.

By the way I don’t see people discussing his back pain. I am not that knowledgably about back pain but isn’t this usually a chronicle disease which is very hard to get rid of? This could very well be serious and if it is then the likelihood of a yuyu like ending has skyrocketed.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

Being a mangaka is one of the least demanding jobs... :oh
Being a mangaka is not a real job.... :oh
Comparing the job of a mangaka to a doctor or soldier... :oh

I'm seriously amazed, wow.
 

Ener9y

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
134
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
Somaliland
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

Anybody can be a doctor or a soldier. Some jobs demand creativity, those are the hard ones. I think we all agree on the fact that Togashi is a genius; so if he takes a break, its not that he's being lazy, I would say he is looking for an inspiration of some sort. Hope it don't take long.

@ Yoshihiro Togashi :p

It's cool even if you're taking these breaks without reasons; but would you please finish it in our life-time.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

srsly...People acting like togashi awes them to create manga for their pleasure when they don't even pay.

Personally, I do not mind sketchy art. I even liked it, i am interested in the Story, the Pictures do not matter that much, and usually, when something is important, togashi draws it in great Detail even when the backrounds are sketchy or nonexistant.

I hope those breaks wont become a pattern, of course, but even if...Then we'd still get HxH more often than monthly, which would be a huge improvement to before.

There are s whole lot of monthly or biweekly Mangas which dont even take half of the preparation time Story wise as the dark continent arc does, or they do and don't take it and are full of plotwholes.

Back pain can be very distracting, depending on how bad it is, so can any other source of pain be.

Furthermore....FOUND playing Dragon quest in a dirty room?
Do People even know where and when and how that Picture was taken?

I always took it as a joke, and i think it is one.
 

Demon Mark

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
99
Reaction score
22
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 349 Discussion/ 350 Predictions

Least demanding?? In which kind of dream world do you live? Seriously. Do you not know anything about the schedule of a weekly manga artist? They work 7 days a week, yes no days off and usually sit in a room with no windows and draw(or think about the story) for more than 16 hours a day. Oda you quoted, he sleeps 4 hours a day and when he is busy with extra stuff like a movie he sleeps 3 hours a day. He goes home to his family twice a YEAR. Other weekly manga artist are less busy than Oda but they work also their asses of. Kishi somehow managed his schedule that he gets one whole day off. Yes one whole day. The one who did Mago had a similar schedule to Oda but he got more sleep.

Togashi gives a shit about his readers. And? He doesn’t have to care for his readers. When he wants to spend his time having fun by spending time with his family, reading books, watching movies, traveling and playing video games he shall.
What most people complain about (at least who are not assholes) is his unprofessionalism. If he would adjust to some kind of schedule like 1 chapter a month (could be only 20 pages) or if he would serialize from January to March every Year or something like that, most people who are not assholes would stop complaining. What annoys people the most is uncertainty when will he stop, when will he be back or even if he will be back.

By the way I don’t see people discussing his back pain. I am not that knowledgably about back pain but isn’t this usually a chronicle disease which is very hard to get rid of? This could very well be serious and if it is then the likelihood of a yuyu like ending has skyrocketed.
Anyone that think being a mangaka is a easy job is talking complete shit and have no idea of their schedule.
 

goodyfresh

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
92
Reaction score
70
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

Anybody can be a doctor or a soldier. Some jobs demand creativity, those are the hard ones. I think we all agree on the fact that Togashi is a genius; so if he takes a break, its not that he's being lazy, I would say he is looking for an inspiration of some sort. Hope it don't take long.

@ Yoshihiro Togashi :p

It's cool even if you're taking these breaks without reasons; but would you please finish it in our life-time.
"Anybody can be a doctor or a soldier" is one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen someone say on the internet in my entire life, seriously. Medical School is GRUELINGLY difficult and takes many years to complete. Why don't YOU try learning and mastering how to perform Open-Heart Surgery or to remove a fucking brain-tumor successfully, then you have a right to say what you did about people in the field of medicine. Hell, as long as we're talking about this in a H x H forum. . .why don't you go live in the world of H x H and tell LEORIO about you think "anybody can be a doctor" and how jobs like that aren't "the hard jobs," and see how far he plants his foot up your ass as a result? And if you claim that "anybody" can be a soldier, then why don't YOU do it? Go put your life on the line for a cause you believe in, or even harder for one your country merely tells you you SHOULD believe in, fighting against people who want to kill you in some country where you don't even speak the language, if you think it's so damn easy to be a soldier, shit.

And to say that if he takes a break it's not because he's being lazy, as if you can be so damn sure, that is just dumb, we have no idea what might be going through Togashi's mind, which could quite likely, in fact, be something along the lines of "fuck it, I already have enough money and just don't wanna work, fuck my fans srsly guyz why would I care about them lololol." I mean I doubt he thinks that last part, hahaha, but seriously he could and we would have no way to know.

Least demanding?? In which kind of dream world do you live? Seriously. Do you not know anything about the schedule of a weekly manga artist? They work 7 days a week, yes no days off and usually sit in a room with no windows and draw(or think about the story) for more than 16 hours a day. Oda you quoted, he sleeps 4 hours a day and when he is busy with extra stuff like a movie he sleeps 3 hours a day. He goes home to his family twice a YEAR. Other weekly manga artist are less busy than Oda but they work also their asses of. Kishi somehow managed his schedule that he gets one whole day off. Yes one whole day. The one who did Mago had a similar schedule to Oda but he got more sleep.

Togashi gives a shit about his readers. And? He doesn’t have to care for his readers. When he wants to spend his time having fun by spending time with his family, reading books, watching movies, traveling and playing video games he shall.
What most people complain about (at least who are not assholes) is his unprofessionalism. If he would adjust to some kind of schedule like 1 chapter a month (could be only 20 pages) or if he would serialize from January to March every Year or something like that, most people who are not assholes would stop complaining. What annoys people the most is uncertainty when will he stop, when will he be back or even if he will be back.

By the way I don’t see people discussing his back pain. I am not that knowledgably about back pain but isn’t this usually a chronicle disease which is very hard to get rid of? This could very well be serious and if it is then the likelihood of a yuyu like ending has skyrocketed.
That reallyyyy depends on which particular manga artist/author you are talking about. Yeah, Eiichiro Oda really does work that hard. Most manga authors do not work the way Oda does. They also have entire teams of assistants to help them out. Can you cite actual proof that the MAJORITY of manga artists actually work the excruciatingly difficult schedule that you describe here, or are you just saying so based solely on accounts of Oda and no one else in-particular?

And yes, it's not the short little breaks that bother me, I don't care if I have to wait a couple weeks at a time. As you said, it's the UNPROFESSIONAL manner of someone like Togashi that really gets on my nerves, the UNCERTAINTY that he leaves us with. As I was saying before, when he starts taking little breaks like this, it's a sign that his pattern of unprofessionalism is beginning again. Soon enough (within a few months at most, probably) he'll be taking breaks without any notice as to when the series will return, and then just go on hiatus with no warning. What I'm so upset about right now is the signs of that pattern starting again, you see what I'm saying? Yeah, there's a chance I could be wrong. . .I HOPE I'm wrong, and that he's not starting such a pattern again. But has Togashi's past behavior given us any reason to believe that I am incorrect about this?

srsly...People acting like togashi awes them to create manga for their pleasure when they don't even pay.

Personally, I do not mind sketchy art. I even liked it, i am interested in the Story, the Pictures do not matter that much, and usually, when something is important, togashi draws it in great Detail even when the backrounds are sketchy or nonexistant.

I hope those breaks wont become a pattern, of course, but even if...Then we'd still get HxH more often than monthly, which would be a huge improvement to before.

There are s whole lot of monthly or biweekly Mangas which dont even take half of the preparation time Story wise as the dark continent arc does, or they do and don't take it and are full of plotwholes.

Back pain can be very distracting, depending on how bad it is, so can any other source of pain be.

Furthermore....FOUND playing Dragon quest in a dirty room?
Do People even know where and when and how that Picture was taken?

I always took it as a joke, and i think it is one.
But I do pay, I am currently in the process of collecting all the available published volumes, the official english ones, by actually purchasing them. And I own the full series of Yu Yu Hakusho on DVD. I'm not one of those assholes who thinks I'm entitled to an author's work when I don't even pay for it.

I can say the same about Berserk with Kentaro Miura. But really, the situation with Berserk is FAR WORSE than even the situation with H x H and Togashi. Berserk has been running since goddamn 1990 and is still at fewer than 350 chapters. And, many people, such as myself, are REALLY, REALLY PASSIONATE about every aspect of Berserk's story. Miura is well aware of just how passionate his fans are. And at this rate, he really will die before ever finishing the series, even though it's quite clear that he is the kind of author who plans major plot-points many, many years in advance (if you guys want I can cite evidence for this) and thus knows exactly where he wants to take the story and how he wants to end it. I've said this in a couple posts on here already, but I knew a guy in college who was seriously, SERIOUSLY passionate about Berserk, he even had the old videogame that almost nobody ever got and had a replica of the Dragon Slayer sword in his room. The guy became terminally ill with cancer and died. One of his biggest regrets, he told me, once his diagnosis became terminal, was the realization that he would never be able to see Guts confront Griffith one final time, or even get to see Guts get to Elfheim. Hell, Miura didn't even get around to finishing the chapters of the Sea God arc before this guy died from his cancer. Which is absolutely preposterous considering that if Miura tried AT ALL to follow the same kind of professional schedule as other authors of similarly-drawn (not that there ARE many similarly-drawn series to Berserk, I must admit) manga series, he would have probably finished the entire series something like five or ten years ago by now!

Being a mangaka is one of the least demanding jobs... :oh
Being a mangaka is not a real job.... :oh
Comparing the job of a mangaka to a doctor or soldier... :oh

I'm seriously amazed, wow.
I never said that it's NOT a REAL job. But it is NOT demanding the way 99.999 percent of careers are, ESPECIALLY for the mangakas of extremely popular and successful series who are able to keep their contracts even if they fail to meet deadlines or take frequent breaks, simply due to the magazine not being willing to drop such a successful title.

Everyone on here seems to think KingOfNight and I are such huge assholes for saying that being a mangaka isn't such a demanding job compared to many other careers: Did you actually read KingOfNight's whole post, or just briefly skim through it or glance at it? KingOfNight makes a very good point: Mangakas don't have the kind of obligation to their community that someone like a doctor, police officer, soldier, or even worker at the goddamn DMV has. Just like KingOfNight pointed out, if people in other jobs, jobs that actually help society function, started taking weeks off every third week or so, society would pretty much collapse and cease functioning altogether! Imagine if you went into the hospital with an open, bleeding wound, and the people in the ER told you "oh sorry, the surgeon is taking a break this week due to back-pain, so we'll need you to just bleed to death and not complain now, thanks." THIS is why Oda made the joke that he did about becoming a mangaka so that he "wouldn't need a real job"--what he meant was that by being a mangaka, he avoids the kinds of RESPONSIBILITIES and OBLIGATIONS and DEADLINES that come with a real job. DOES THAT MEAN HE DOESN"T WORK HARD??? No, of course not! Does it mean I am not grateful to him for the work he does? Again, of course not, I'm totally grateful to Oda-Sensei, Togashi-Sensei, Mashima-Sensei, Miura-Sensei, and all the rest! But it DOES mean that these guys can feel free to take breaks whenever they damn well please, which is a luxury that people in 99.9999% of careers simply do not have.
 
Last edited:

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

And to say that if he takes a break it's not because he's being lazy, as if you can be so damn sure, that is just dumb, we have no idea what might be going through Togashi's mind, which could quite likely, in fact, be something along the lines of "fuck it, I already have enough money and just don't wanna work, fuck my fans srsly guyz why would I care about them lololol." I mean I doubt he thinks that last part, hahaha, but seriously he could and we would have no way to know.
If Togashi thought that way he would just end it a la Yu Yu Hakusho. Because like you said the guy probably has more than enough to live off of so why bothered? Why put himself through that? He obviously still wants to write Hunter x Hunter.

And what uncertainty? This time you have a why, and a when. Back pain, two weeks. Until said otherwise stop complaining and wait two weeks.

Also about the manga artist thing not being demanding it's very well known fact that they work incredibly long hours. Not only do they have to write the story, give it to the editors for proofing, sketch it, redraw it, etc. which the spend most of the week on. Then starts all over again. Producing that on a weekly schedule is hard.
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

Yeah, Eiichiro Oda really does work that hard. Most manga authors do not work the way Oda does. They also have entire teams of assistants to help them out.
It is true that Oda is one of the hardest working people in the business but he also has a team of assistants. I think it was nine or maybe a dozen. I don’t remember the exact number but it was quite high. Yet he sleeps barley 4 hours a night. Shouldn’t this tell you a lot? Most of artist use assistants because it would be impossible to hold the insane schedule they have otherwise. There are certain Artists who don’t like Miura. And this is what happens when you try to do a Manga like Berserk with that level of detail without Assistants. You get that many chapters of Berserk however many you get. He for example is working the whole time on Berserk expect when he is working on other Manga. He is not on vacation or whatever you think he is doing during the "break" which is actually not a break
Can you cite actual proof that the MAJORITY of manga artists actually work the excruciatingly difficult schedule that you describe here, or are you just saying so based solely on accounts of Oda and no one else in-particular?
Every Interview of every weekly Manga artist I have read who mentions schedule mentions his insane schedule. Try and read many interviews and you will see it. I will not seek them out for you but I did do a quick google search.

This is the schedule of the Artist who did Mago and it is considered a normal schedule for a weekly manga artist:


I also tried to find the schedule of Kishimoto because I remember that it was released or he mentioned it during an Interview but a quick search didn’t show any result but I found a nice quote from an Interview:

Shonen Jump: Has it been tough to maintain the rigorous production needs of the manga, now that you have a family? Do you ever get used to the intense schedule?
Masashi Kishimoto: It's been six years since I've started Naruto, but I've never gotten used to the schedule of weekly installments. The lifestyle is not for any normal human. When I was just a reader of manga, I always thought "Why can't the artists draw more?" Now that I've finally became a manga-ka, I'm like "You're asking for something impossible!" [laughs]

The intense schedule of Mangaka is not a secret but common knowledge
 

goodyfresh

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
92
Reaction score
70
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

It is true that Oda is one of the hardest working people in the business but he also has a team of assistants. I think it was nine or maybe a dozen. I don’t remember the exact number but it was quite high. Yet he sleeps barley 4 hours a night. Shouldn’t this tell you a lot? Most of artist use assistants because it would be impossible to hold the insane schedule they have otherwise. There are certain Artists who don’t like Miura. And this is what happens when you try to do a Manga like Berserk with that level of detail without Assistants. You get that many chapters of Berserk however many you get. He for example is working the whole time on Berserk expect when he is working on other Manga. He is not on vacation or whatever you think he is doing during the "break" which is actually not a break

Every Interview of every weekly Manga artist I have read who mentions schedule mentions his insane schedule. Try and read many interviews and you will see it. I will not seek them out for you but I did do a quick google search.

This is the schedule of the Artist who did Mago and it is considered a normal schedule for a weekly manga artist:


I also tried to find the schedule of Kishimoto because I remember that it was released or he mentioned it during an Interview but a quick search didn’t show any result but I found a nice quote from an Interview:

Shonen Jump: Has it been tough to maintain the rigorous production needs of the manga, now that you have a family? Do you ever get used to the intense schedule?
Masashi Kishimoto: It's been six years since I've started Naruto, but I've never gotten used to the schedule of weekly installments. The lifestyle is not for any normal human. When I was just a reader of manga, I always thought "Why can't the artists draw more?" Now that I've finally became a manga-ka, I'm like "You're asking for something impossible!" [laughs]

The intense schedule of Mangaka is not a secret but common knowledge
So you expect me to believe that Kentaro Miura was actually working on manga during entire year-and-a-half long hiatus that only ended recently? That he spent that entire NEARLY TWO YEAR LONG period working full-time hours on Gigantomakhia and Berserk? Yeah I call bullshit on that, especially if you do some research on the guy. Turns out he was almost certainly spending most of his time playing Idol Master, it's common knowledge that Miura is a lolicon and completely obsessed to an unhealthy degree with the Idol Master game series. Thus the greater and greater amount of lolis that have been in Berserk as of the last 150 or so chapters, LOL.

And thank you for doing all this good research. That weekly schedule shown there is interesting. Although any source where they claim to know just how hard a mangaka is really working based on INTERVIEWS with that mangaka, should certainly be taken with a grain of salt don't you think? After all, they have no legal obligation to avoid over-exaggerating to make it sound like they work harder than they do. If everybody in the world with a job was allowed to just TELL people how hard they work and have people just TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT, then every single person would be like "oh yeah I work all day and night and almost never sleep or have any free time LOLZ LOOK AT HOW DEDICATED I AM NOW SHOULDN'T I GET A RAISE!?!?!" Not that I think they ARE over-exaggerating. I'm just saying, we have no way to know if they are or not, don't you think? I think most likely they aren't and their schedules really do tend to be taht grueling, at least the ones with the WEEKLY series. But again, there's no way to know, we're just relying on their own self-reporting when it comes to their work schedules.

I'm not saying they DON'T work hard. You still don't seem like you actually read my entire post. I know my posts are very long but I'd appreciate it if you guys actually read them in their entirety before responding to them. My point wasn't to try to say that mangakas don't work hard, because they definitely do, with the exception of guys going on a long hiatus or something. My point was that they don't have the kind of OBLIGATIONS that people with more "essential" career-type jobs have, or even somebody like a factory-worker has. Go back and read my whole post please and see what I actually said. I acknowledged that mangakas do work hard and that I am grateful for their work.
 
Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus X Hiatus - To Resume June 2014!

But I do pay, I am currently in the process of collecting all the available published volumes, the official english ones, by actually purchasing them. And I own the full series of Yu Yu Hakusho on DVD. I'm not one of those assholes who thinks I'm entitled to an author's work when I don't even pay for it.

I can say the same about Berserk with Kentaro Miura. But really, the situation with Berserk is FAR WORSE than even the situation with H x H and Togashi. Berserk has been running since goddamn 1990 and is still at fewer than 350 chapters. And, many people, such as myself, are REALLY, REALLY PASSIONATE about every aspect of Berserk's story. Miura is well aware of just how passionate his fans are. And at this rate, he really will die before ever finishing the series, even though it's quite clear that he is the kind of author who plans major plot-points many, many years in advance (if you guys want I can cite evidence for this) and thus knows exactly where he wants to take the story and how he wants to end it. I've said this in a couple posts on here already, but I knew a guy in college who was seriously, SERIOUSLY passionate about Berserk, he even had the old videogame that almost nobody ever got and had a replica of the Dragon Slayer sword in his room. The guy became terminally ill with cancer and died. One of his biggest regrets, he told me, once his diagnosis became terminal, was the realization that he would never be able to see Guts confront Griffith one final time, or even get to see Guts get to Elfheim. Hell, Miura didn't even get around to finishing the chapters of the Sea God arc before this guy died from his cancer. Which is absolutely preposterous considering that if Miura tried AT ALL to follow the same kind of professional schedule as other authors of similarly-drawn (not that there ARE many similarly-drawn series to Berserk, I must admit) manga series, he would have probably finished the entire series something like five or ten years ago by now!
As a berserk fan i'd definitely want you to give evidence, but i thik the mods won't^^

THe thing which upsets me about this discussion is that many people do not acknowledge that lazyness is sometimes part of the creative process.

There are many mangas who kept their schedule but went downhill, and i think it is oftentimes because the authors couldnt wait until they were inspired enough again to start a new arc.


Togashi DOES have enough money to not have to work again.
When he gives chapters, that means he wants to do it, he does not have to.

He clearly cares about the series, elseways, why would he introduce more and more complex situations instead of going the cooky cut action route?
He could just show us the spiders fighting and everyone would still like it.


As i see it, togashi works when he thinks he is ready. That is bothersome for the fans, but i do think that it clearly adds to the quality of what we get.

Personally, i'd love to see HxH as a webcoming where he publishes whenever he got s th finished, but that won't happen.

But in essence, i do not think it should be seen as his job anymore and discussions about how hard it is are meaningless.
Creative jobs are not about how hard you work but about how well you convey your creative thoughts to your audience, and togashi does that really well.
He could not do that if he felt forced to work or woud be demotivated, or at least not as well as he does now.

So whatever the reasons of the frequent hiatusses are, i do not think anyone, even paying readers, are entitled to critisize his behaviour.
Chance are, anyone who does not need to work would only work when he wants to, and regarding that, for some kind of hobby, we get our decent share of Hxh chapters.

For Berserk, the same thing ain't true :(
 
Top