Character - Do you think Mouri is the worst? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Do you think Mouri is the worst?

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so based on my Thread title it might be seen as char bashing.

I know he lost, but I was wondering, does anything wonder how he got in the G-10?

I dont remember any good special techniques, back in his MS days he would miss out on practice without explanation. He sounds undisciplined.

I wish we could have seen Kaji in action. Mouri is just a doubles support.
Konomi should at least hype mouri up a bit before the match.

I admit swinging the ball by self dislocation is gutsy, but not enough to be in G10.

Glad he lost.

danieltian

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
He wiped Kenya 6-0 in singles 3 in the nationals semifinals one year before the storyline. He also defeated Hara Tetsuya in their first years according to the anime (not sure if it's canon though). Mouri is definitely not the best or even considered a good singles player by G10 standards but with his stats totaling to 24 he definitely cuts it for a doubles player in the bottom of G10. Taken from the wikia page, "he's a jack of all trades, master of none."

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mori isn't a bad tennis player. He can pwn players without any need for flashy moves (unlike the forgotten Fuji). Kenya on the other hand is not the same. He does not have flashy moves other than his super speed. Mori's more a supporter when it comes to doubles rather than the leader of the doubles.

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Definitely, like the Fanbook states, Mouri has a lot of potential and is only in his first year of HS. He'll get better as he gets older, however, he's the weakest of the G10. Just look at the Atobe/Niou match, he did nothing but return the ZSServe and dislocate his shoulder to avoid Ak (the first one was amazing at first, but the second one is just complete foolishness).

But yeah, like ChinkyCandie said, he's more of a supporter instead of a leader. If he had special techniques, he'd be more of a threat than he is right now.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Being in the G10 while being only a 1st year is an extremely impressive feat.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
He seems like a solid player but since he can't shoot lasers from his eyes or smash walls he's kind of screwed in the world of NPOT.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
He seems like a solid player but since he can't shoot lasers from his eyes or smash walls he's kind of screwed in the world of NPOT.
In the fanbook it's said that the coaches want him to develop some kind of finishing move, so I guess he's working on that.

Also, no, he's not the worst. He prolly can beat anyone in 11-20 having better stats than them (except maybe Date, he kicks ass) and is the only 1st year HSer in the entire first string, those are pretty good feats.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Also, no, he's not the worst. He prolly can beat anyone in 11-20 having better stats than them (except maybe Date, he kicks ass) and is the only 1st year HSer in the entire first string, those are pretty good feats.
Actually, Hara is a 1st year too, but I agree it's an impressive feat. Mouri's potential probably rivals that of the Shiraishi level MSers or so.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Actually, Hara is a 1st year too, but I agree it's an impressive feat. Mouri's potential probably rivals that of the Shiraishi level MSers or so.
Hara doesn't exist in my eyes :<

According to the tier list, he is in a complete different level compared to Shiraishi, lol.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
According to the tier list, he is in a complete different level compared to Shiraishi, lol.
I said potential not current. The MSers are a golden generation, but I think Mouri isn't far behind them in terms of growth is what I meant.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Anyone that Konomi focuses on has potential. Forgotten characters don't have any.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Anyone that Konomi focuses on has potential. Forgotten characters don't have any.
Not so sure. Was Mouri even "focused" on?
He is Niou Masaharu's senpai... His former teammate when they won the Nationals last year. Yet Konomi had it as if it was the first time that Mouri and Niou had ever met. Their interaction's didn't make any sense.

Mouri didn't even get a flashback scene from his time at Rikkai by Konomi. That's barely anything imho.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mouri did have a silent flashback from Kenya's POV. That was about it. Pretty much showing he's a tennis master without attending practice (sure you've seen it). Mouri was focused on, he and Ochi were the 1st G10 members to play so he did get plenty of screentime. But after the match, he disappeared.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Mouri did have a silent flashback from Kenya's POV. That was about it. Pretty much showing he's a tennis master without attending practice (sure you've seen it). Mouri was focused on, he and Ochi were the 1st G10 members to play so he did get plenty of screentime. But after the match, he disappeared.
After a lot of reflection, Mouri is actually the most notably failed character that Konomi has made, which says a lot since I think Konomi is one of the best authors out there at creating characters. Mouri had probably as much potential to be an interesting character as Yamato/Ochi or even more since he would've had a rivalry even with a few Shitenhouji members since he transferred from Shitenhouji to Rikkai. He might just be the worst in this aspect.

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
After reflection he's only good in a certain situation. He sounds like an all rounder, but when i think about the 11-20 representatives, it makes me wonder.

My speculation lies that Mouri must be an ultra perfect doubles partner with Ochi, not individually as a singles player. their team must be so incredible that they beat the twins w/ synchro.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
?

We know his stats (that are pretty good), and as far as we know according to the fanbook he was a really good player that needed an ending shot. The only ones in 11-20 that could stand a chance against him are Fuwa and Date, and I'd say he's prolly good enough to beat both.

After a lot of reflection, Mouri is actually the most notably failed character that Konomi has made, which says a lot since I think Konomi is one of the best authors out there at creating characters. Mouri had probably as much potential to be an interesting character as Yamato/Ochi or even more since he would've had a rivalry even with a few Shitenhouji members since he transferred from Shitenhouji to Rikkai. He might just be the worst in this aspect.
I can agree I guess, Konomi was pretty lazy with him. And I doubt we'll get anything decent from him (if anything) in the future so... yeah, rip Mouri's development.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mouri will be in the world cup so lets see what he can do then.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
After reflection he's only good in a certain situation. He sounds like an all rounder, but when i think about the 11-20 representatives, it makes me wonder.

My speculation lies that Mouri must be an ultra perfect doubles partner with Ochi, not individually as a singles player. their team must be so incredible that they beat the twins w/ synchro.
That could be part of it, but his stats is on par with Fuwa, who actually manage to win a point against THE Yukimura. If anything, Yukimura used a new tech in order to beat Fuwa. Mouri might not look impressive because he doesn't have any special move, but that doesn't he isn't actually impressive. From what I've seen, Fuwa can't beat him because Mouri have higher stats, and Mirrored Eyes have nothing to reflect so it's essentially useless. Date might be able to. I doubt #13-20 can beat Mouri though. The guy stats shows that his rallying skill is better than the guy who's rallying skill is on par with Yukimura after all.