Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I barely saw any movies this year, but I find it pretty interesting that the most "Oscar movie" of all time, lost in so many categories.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I barely saw any movies this year, but I find it pretty interesting that the most "Oscar movie" of all time, lost in so many categories.
What movie would that be?

I haven't seen the Theory of Everything but I've seen Birdman and I was hoping for Keaton to get this one.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
What movie would that be?

I haven't seen the Theory of Everything but I've seen Birdman and I was hoping for Keaton to get this one.
Trust me, Redmayne deserves it completely
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Whoops, I wrote Boyhood and deleted it for some reason. But yeah, Boyhood. This kind of ambitious movie has Oscar written all over it, some have even called it "Oscar-bait". So I guess it was too obvious and even the Academy isn't that oblivious.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
No way mean to diss Birdman and I haven't seen, and I have great expectations and I've heard a lot of praise. But still, it's a black comedy about a man trying to get respect in a ruthless business world of film industry. And it is voted for the best picture by people working in film industry, people I asume would have it really easy to relate on something in the film. I don't think it is a surprise at all it won. (Apparently) an amazing film considering film industry, wons awards given out by film industry. Remember Argo?

That said, Inarritu is an incredible directer with amazing sense of taste, so I really look forward on seeing Birdman.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Lol, i would say it´s the opposite, indie movie with no real backing in the Academy, no huge star to draw attention and the movie itself is so different from the oscar winner of the last decade, not to forget it was Linklater´s passion project for 12 years.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Lol, i would say it´s the opposite, indie movie with no real backing in the Academy, no huge star to draw attention and the movie itself is so different from the oscar winner of the last decade, not to forget it was Linklater´s passion project for 12 years.
Weren't you someone who said it was overrated? That the concept is why it's popular, not because of the actual meat of the movie?
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Weren't you someone who said it was overrated? That the concept is why it's popular, not because of the actual meat of the movie?
Yep, two different things, no? I do not think it´s that special of a movie, the hype is mostly based on the gimmick of shooting it for 12 years and maybe the nostalgia for those that had a similar childhood (not the case for me, like at all) but that does not mean it has to be an oscar bait, at least not if i understood the term correctly.

Btw, surprised you remember what i said about the movie, thought most stuff go by unnoticed here.

Funny btw

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Not really, considering I've seen it said in other places. And I really don't think those are two different things if you really think about it. Not to say that Linklater did this to be recognized for it, but it just reeks of that kind of thing IMO.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,240
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
The Graduate :super
Directed by: Mike Nichols
Screenplay by: Calder Willingham, Buck Henry (Based on The Graduate by Charles Webb)
Starring: Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman, Katharine Ross
Watch it if you like: Boogie Nights, Rushmore

A romantic dark comedy. My type of movie.

---------- Post added February 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was February 25, 2015 at 02:00 AM ----------

Bad Santa :thumbs
Directed by: Terry Zwigoff
Screenplay by: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham, Brett Kelly, Lauren Tom, John Ritter, Bernie Mac
Watch it if you like: Ghost World, Intolerable Cruelty

No wonder the Coen Bros. produced this.
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Saw Kingsman today. Never thought death could be so visually entertaining. xD
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is Exodus Gods and Kings any good?
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Is Exodus Gods and Kings any good?
For me it's not far from being the worst big budget movie of 2014. You already know the story, it's incredibly slow, it takes itself seriously, special effects are not saving the movie.
Noah was better ... and I hated Noah.
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For me it's not far from being the worst big budget movie of 2014. You already know the story, it's incredibly slow, it takes itself seriously, special effects are not saving the movie.
Noah was better ... and I hated Noah.
Noah! NO! I hated that movie. Thanks, I definitely won't waste my time then :)
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I finally saw my first movie of 2015 and it started well, extremely well: Kingsman.
For a james bond fanatic like me who is also a sucker for british comedy, Kingsman is just perfect in every possible way.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I enjoyed kingsmen too although going into it without having even a notion of what it was safe for the poster made the first half hour rather weird for me. I was wondering whether the movie was supposed to be an action flick or just a comedy. It turns out it had a nice switch between serious situations and borderline absurd scenes. I was a tad shock to see Samuel L Jackson with justin beiber cosplay, I couldn't understand why he was wearing a douchecap (thats what I call the flat trucker caps). I ended up loving the movie though. Not sure if I am up for the announced sequel though, I am not sure if they can 22 jump street us with a secret agent movie. I kinda hope they can though. To be honest I would love a video game of the movie. I think the concept would work reasonably well if the game is well made.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Watched Divergent last night. Pretty great movie that makes me hyped to see insurgent this month. I would definitely have been Erudite instead of Dauntless or any of the others.

Movie only failed on being really predictable at the beginning and kind of putting most of the important story climactic action in the last 15 minutes :(, so it ended up feeling abit rushed.
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)--it was so-so. I think the main reason why I was not too intrigued by the film--is due to the fact that I'm atheist, therefore I was somewhat repulsed by the overwhelming biblical context of the film--which I find hard to believe while trying to apply reason. Plus, the movie was awfully slow--which made things worse...; however, I will commend the film for its special effects, costume design, and portrayal of that time.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I watched Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)--it was so-so. I think the main reason why I was not too intrigued by the film--is due to the fact that I'm atheist, therefore I was somewhat repulsed by the overwhelming biblical context of the film--which I find hard to believe while trying to apply reason. Plus, the movie was awfully slow--which made things worse...; however, I will commend the film for its special effects, costume design, and portrayal of that time.
I warned you. :D
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Watched two hunger games this weekend...

First hunger games was decent but kind of predictable and lacking. I guess because it was so predictable it made it at times hard to stay focused. It also took me a while to realize that his name is Peeta and not Peter with an accent. I dont like the Gale aspect part of things, it just leaves a bad feeling to see this triangle play out.

Catching Fire was a huge improvement mainly because of how the closest people displayed new feelings over the course of things, like the lady, I was getting all emotional over how she was feeling over what was happening, her precious victors. I liked the hunger games aspect much more this time around, no silly emotions getting involved and such. Looking forward to getting the next one hopefully this week via netflix.
 
Top