Laptop or Chromebook or Desktop | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Laptop or Chromebook or Desktop

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So my current laptop is pretty much on its last legs and not good for doing much of anything beyond web browsing for a few hours and playing a video or two (love it cause HDMI out, but the 4gb of ram is only at 2gb now because part of it got corrupted, and now it constantly gives me windows explorer crash errors and a few more) its also 7 years old now.

I was wondering if I should get a chromebook since I just need to do document processing and still video watching, or just get a laptop so I can play games and more, or go for a desktop to get and go all out. I also graduate in a year and would have a much better paying job then...so I was thinking of chromebook then a better setup once i get my next job.

Please help me decide.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
If you just need it for document processing and watching videos you should buy the chromebook, but is it that different from other notebooks? Why a chromebook especially?

Desktops are too impractical. Laptops are good but if you want to play games you'd have to buy a powerful one.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you just need it for document processing and watching videos you should buy the chromebook, but is it that different from other notebooks? Why a chromebook especially?

Desktops are too impractical.
Arent chromebooks low cost and longer battery life, while most laptops are significantly pricier?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Arent chromebooks low cost and longer battery life, while most laptops are significantly pricier?
Dunno, I have never been interested in chromebooks or notebooks in general. If you are considering buying a desktop or a laptop more powerful than a notebook I think a laptop would be better, not necessarily a gaming one.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I have a Chromebook, but mine doesn't do pictures for some fucking odd reason, though apparently Chromebooks are supposed to. But I don't know if you mean YouTube/internet videos or on your computer videos. If you mean the former, you should be okay. If you don't plan on using your computer for much or don't need to do much, I'd say go for a Chromebook over laptop. More efficient.

Shasha23

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
you really don't do much on it, if I were you I just get a really good phablet, it will do all that with much better convenience and you can just wait until you can build a proper desktop
Laptops are for people who don't know better and chromebooks are bought by people who end up not happy with it

a laptop, chromebook, tablet and notebook are cool when given to you free but don't waste your money buying one, they are completely useless in this day of age

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Please tell me you're trolling.

Otherwise, good luck poking out essays on your ~5.5-inch screen if you're serious....

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a phone that has a 5 inch screen. Probably is that is very inconvenient to any typing that is larger than a typical forum post or something.

In any case, Ill probably do a chromebook next month since theyre less costlier than a laptop. I dont think it makes sense to invest in a really cheap barebones laptop honestly, Ive seen people with those cheap ones and they really break down fast. I can put those savings towards getting a desktop anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I have a Chromebook, but mine doesn't do pictures for some fucking odd reason, though apparently Chromebooks are supposed to. But I don't know if you mean YouTube/internet videos or on your computer videos. If you mean the former, you should be okay. If you don't plan on using your computer for much or don't need to do much, I'd say go for a Chromebook over laptop. More efficient.
yeah internet videos/youtube ones and some anime (if it plays mkv).

xanorkid

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Laptop. Next question please.

But seriously, you can bring it anywhere you like, and while it may not be as compact as a smartphone, you are bound to use one someday (due to work, for example)

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Laptop for me. I can go anywhere I want with it, and it boots up fast. Plus I do all my traslating/manga work/schoolwork on it, so it helps a lot.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yes, I got a $169 chromebook from ASUS. It has been good for browsing and doing work away from my main work computer. The long 12+ hour battery life is nice, and its also great for watching anime on crunchyroll and such on when Im not wanting to get out of bed.

Unfortunately, Chrome OS has a decent screenshot part of the OS but it makes blurry images. I also dont like having no VLC support. Also having only 2GB ram, and with my browser habits, I can only open like five tabs instead of my usual 22+ on my work pc.

Definitely will invest in a Desktop in the future though. What is a good price range for one (should I get a prebuilt one on amzn or selectable pieces from sites like Dell etc?)

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well that's good if you can get some work done. I'd be disappointed in the blurry screencaps too, but are there any apps you can get for it that do that too? I don't know much about Chromebooks specifically but it's possible there's a software solution for this out there.

As for pricing, I could talk about prices in Canada but they tend to be inflated compared to what you'd get in the States in most industries. When I'm going to make a big purchase, I shop around online first (places like Best Buy and Staples) to get an idea of typical baseline and sale prices (and maybe see what Wal-mart's charging even though I don't make larger purchases there), then I check websites and/or call a few of the smaller local electronics stores that still happen to get good deals. Usually by the time I've gotten through the bunch, some good sale prices or rare deals pop up. :)

And again, there's always CHIP. :p

plushdangerous

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I used laptop because I find it handy and I'm comfortable with it especially when I'm working on a task. It would actually depend on your preference. Just pick the one that can help you out in anything:)

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright so I ended up getting a new laptop from Dell one of those 2 in 1 things they just released. The Chromebook was decent but the 2GB of Ram was really killing things for me, I could only open like 5 tabs in Chrome before it gave me memory warnings in Chrome, and then viewing videos, it would always clunk out randomly. Its great for web browsing and taking to school and such but after that, well it was decent. It also has great long battery life, so I could see myself still using it.

This dell has 8GB ram and is already able to handle my 20+ tabs and heavy video viewing excellently.

Nomi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Laptop - On The Go
Desktop - Gamers and enthusiasts.
Chromebook - No go for me.