Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
See Lehran's post, it is not in the bottom five. Wait until the other series start getting ranked during the summer to announce its doom. It's in fine position.
Technically no. Practically yes because the canceled series act as buffers. Isobe and Kochikame don't count. Unless it has a Black Clover type boost, next week it will be for real. And by the time the new series get ranked, it will be cancel-time. UBS is done. Naruto will only last 10 weeks. One of the new series might be canceled early like Rogii. So maybe Kagamigami will be fine. Maybe not. But mark my words, if it's in the bottom 5 for the next 8 weeks before the new stuff gets ranked, it's gone sooner rather than later. And at the rate it's going I think that will happen. I hope it doesn't. I don't like it as much as Psyren but it ahs potential and I'd like to see it get its footing. Personally, I'd like it, Black Clover and Boku to be a new "Big 3" to carry WSJ on their backs someday...but for now I don't see Kagami living to see even the later half of 2016.

BTW
Boku- One Piece
Black Clover- Naruto
Kagamigami- Bleach
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BTW
Boku- One Piece
Black Clover- Naruto
Kagamigami- Bleach
We should not start to compare series that barely started with three of the biggest successes of manga history.
One Piece IS the most successful series of manga history and still has more than 10 years of series to cover. Its records will be unbeatable forever even more when the manga market doesn't sell like it once did. I don't see Boku no Hero Academia lasting as much as One Piece, neither solding as much as it.
Black Cover doesn't even have a volume to see the sales, it is not even worthy discussing. Kagamigami is almost in the bottom! lol
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We should not start to compare series that barely started with three of the biggest successes of manga history.
One Piece IS the most successful series of manga history and still has more than 10 years of series to cover. Its records will be unbeatable forever even more when the manga market doesn't sell like it once did. I don't see Boku no Hero Academia lasting as much as One Piece, neither solding as much as it.
Black Cover doesn't even have a volume to see the sales, it is not even worthy discussing. Kagamigami is almost in the bottom! lol
I dont think he was comparing the sales and success
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I dont think he was comparing the sales and success
He was talking about "Big 3" on the line above, what else he could be talking?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
If anything, I see Boku No Hero Academia being the successor to Naruto. One Piece will forever be number 1.
Number 3? Well, I certainly hope it isn't Black Clover. Didn't like the first 2 chapters at all. Just my opinion though.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He was talking about "Big 3" on the line above, what else he could be talking?
xAsum0x was correct. I was not comparing sales and success. I was comparing themes. Boku is about superheroes, a Western thing. Pirates, a Western thing, is the theme in One Piece. It has quite a few funky character designs, same as OP. It also was the first one to debut as well and likely would be the most popular one of the imaginary new big three I mentioned. Black Clover has demons, Naruto has the tailed beasts. A demon probably lies within the protagonist, a failure type that dreams big and works hard. Not to mention there is an organization that's likely going to be collecting the demons for some nefarious purpose. Kagamigami has a spirits/afterlife kind of thing going on. It seems that each character has a main spirit that they use. It is also struggling as Bleach initially did.

And to be clear I have no intentions of comparing a beast like One Piece to other series whether it's in sales or popularity. That would be unfair. It will likely be a generation or three before we see anything close. However, I don't count it as an eternal number 1 as 101nemesis does because it is old and had it's time, so to speak. It's like, One Piece isn't number one. It's Level Zero (inside Bleach joke). It's in a different universe so let's think of a new number one.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, I think that comparing series by their theme is very loose for a range of reasons. I cannot say anything about Black Cover and Kagamigami, but Boku no Hero Academia and One Piece are very different and that argument that both have western theme is bound to fail because Black Cover, for example, also has westerm theme. One Piece has something that Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have: a wide universe to explore. I think it is clear that Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have an universe as wide as One Piece, far from it and that's what make One Piece the success it is. Obviously, Oda genius has great impact in this since there is no use to a wide universe if you don't know how to explore it, but if well explored, it is a strong weapon. Every arc of One Piece introduces new things and it never gets boring, it is always interesting and everything matches together, One Piece is the ultimate example of the use of a wide universe. Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have a wide universe, I think it is more something like Naruto. Naruto doesn't have a wide universe and shouldn't have lasted what it lasted, Kishimoto forced way too much IMO. If Boku no Hero Academia choose another path (unlikely since Jump editors don't let authors do what they want) it will not last as much as Naruto and can even end before One Piece. Since it will probably follow the same path as Naruto, it will degrade itself and will never reach One Piece. One Piece and Boku no Hero Academia cannot be compared in any way.

It seems that I'm doing some daring predictions here, but we know Jump very well to know that Boku no Hero Academia will not be as good as it is now forever. Naruto was also good in the beginning, better than Boku no Hero Cademia IHMO, but see what it became in the end...
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wasn't being literal; of course there are some pretty big differences between them all. The similarities are superficial but significant enough that I thought it was worth mentioning cause it's interesting. If they were literal clones that wouldn't be any fun. Black Clover has many similarities with Fairy Tail, more than it does Naruto but the demon thing is really big I think. And I also considered the big world thing with Boku and One Piece. But they both have sense of fun, at least for me. One Piece definitely has more adventure though. And yeah Boku feels like Naruto cause of the school and exam thing, but the protagonist and demon theme overrode that for me personally.

Keep this mind...we will likely get aliens in Boku at some point, which would literally open up a universe to explore haha
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
About Universe to Explore! Naruto does indeed had a big universe(5 huge countries and an enormous amount of small ones. Plus a ton of ninja villages) the problem is the not good use of its world.

As a simple example, lets see the "headquarters" of Naruto and One Piece and the detail each one has:

Naruto "headquarters" is Konoha Village, and we have some defined locations, but there is almost no effort in showing, in any way, where those locations are relative with each other. For any kind of map of Konoha you have to look at fans made maps, but each map is different from the next.

One Piece "headquarters" are the ships the Strawhats navigate. So we have Going Merry and Sunny Go. Not only is easy to see where each location in the ships are in relation with each other, just by reading the manga, but Oda also did this:
Going Merry:








Sunny Go














The difference is obvious! And this is not the only situation.
Do you Remember the Sasuke's retrieval arc? where they traveled from the village to the edge of the country and the landscape was woods and more woods.
One Piece Alabasta arc, has a similar number of chapters to Sasuke's retrieval arc(Alabasta(began around chapter 150) -> 63 chapters, Sasuke's retrieval(began around chapter 170) -> 67 chapters) and is also about crossing a country, and we have this:

Of course Oda details are immense and for something or some location to be considered well fleshed out, it doesn't need to be that much, but Naruto had to little.

About Boku no Hero Academia. The universe in Academia is our world, so it is quite big! If the author does it right, he can write about different locations for years and years without end in sight.
I believe the author of Boku no Hero Academia can do it, because he did this:
The author just need to keep up in this path, improving himself and maybe even get to Oda level(Or surpass it!?) and everything will go well.
 
Last edited:

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Keep this mind...we will likely get aliens in Boku at some point, which would literally open up a universe to explore haha
I think so too. Maybe it's because I just got back from the AoU movie, but I can see Horikoshi taking more inspiration from the Marvel comics universe and setting up intermingling storylines, perhaps not in the same way Marvel, DC, or most western comics do, since how manga and comics are handled are vastly different from one another. I would love to see him do a universe travel arc. Like something akin to like Earth-616(main timeline) and several alternate timelines, a few in which Izuku actually develops his own quirk, or Todoroki succumbs to his father's wishes(if he doesn't later in the story), Uraraka actually beat Bakugou in their tourney match. It'd be interesting to see how he handles a storyline like that.

Hi, by the way. I've been lurking this forum for quite some time now, and I finally decided to make an account. I look forward to many lively conversations about Jump manga for many years to come, and hopefully I can contribute some valuable insight with our future discussions :hi
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, I think that comparing series by their theme is very loose for a range of reasons. I cannot say anything about Black Cover and Kagamigami, but Boku no Hero Academia and One Piece are very different and that argument that both have western theme is bound to fail because Black Cover, for example, also has westerm theme. One Piece has something that Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have: a wide universe to explore. I think it is clear that Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have an universe as wide as One Piece, far from it and that's what make One Piece the success it is. Obviously, Oda genius has great impact in this since there is no use to a wide universe if you don't know how to explore it, but if well explored, it is a strong weapon. Every arc of One Piece introduces new things and it never gets boring, it is always interesting and everything matches together, One Piece is the ultimate example of the use of a wide universe. Boku no Hero Academia doesn't have a wide universe, I think it is more something like Naruto. Naruto doesn't have a wide universe and shouldn't have lasted what it lasted, Kishimoto forced way too much IMO. If Boku no Hero Academia choose another path (unlikely since Jump editors don't let authors do what they want) it will not last as much as Naruto and can even end before One Piece. Since it will probably follow the same path as Naruto, it will degrade itself and will never reach One Piece. One Piece and Boku no Hero Academia cannot be compared in any way.

It seems that I'm doing some daring predictions here, but we know Jump very well to know that Boku no Hero Academia will not be as good as it is now forever. Naruto was also good in the beginning, better than Boku no Hero Cademia IHMO, but see what it became in the end...
I see what he's saying though, its not really a direct comparison but more of a feel. Quirks and Devil Fruits, The crazy character designs, lots of characters who seem to be relevant in the future. BnH probably wont even come close to that success but as of right now, we're all just having a feeling
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm personally not convinced by BnHA. So far it doesn't strike me as anything that could go really big. I guess I lack the feeling everyone else seems to be having. There are also two gripes I have with it, which might appear as nitpicking, but it actually bothers me. 1: It's overly dramatic at times, especially in the latest fights. Also: Midoriya doesn't have anything that makes me root for him. His determination isn't understandable to me. What does he fight for? 2: The art. Feels mighty stiff most of the times. The characters lack something dynamic. They look like stickfigures trapped in a box.
Despite that, I'm all for Horikoshi getting his success and I hope Boku no Hero Academia can improve.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm personally not convinced by BnHA. So far it doesn't strike me as anything that could go really big. I guess I lack the feeling everyone else seems to be having. There are also two gripes I have with it, which might appear as nitpicking, but it actually bothers me. 1: It's overly dramatic at times, especially in the latest fights. Also: Midoriya doesn't have anything that makes me root for him. His determination isn't understandable to me. What does he fight for? 2: The art. Feels mighty stiff most of the times. The characters lack something dynamic. They look like stickfigures trapped in a box.
Despite that, I'm all for Horikoshi getting his success and I hope Boku no Hero Academia can improve.
Yes, Midoriya is not a very good main character, I don't read the manga to watch him btw, the other characters are much more interesting. I cannot identify with him and therefore cannot root for him as well. I don't see a good reason either.
The other characters might be interesting, but he is the MC and therefore he is responsible for a good part of the success of the series. If Boku no Hero Academia has to reach new levels of success, Midoriya must improve.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Its easy to give him a reason. Let the fire/ice guy become a villian (like sasuke) or someone getting kidnapped. Till now his resolve surrounds the naive idea of being a good guy and help people without a real reason. (tragic lost of a friend, something like that...)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Its easy to give him a reason. Let the fire/ice guy become a villian (like sasuke) or someone getting kidnapped. Till now his resolve surrounds the naive idea of being a good guy and help people without a real reason. (tragic lost of a friend, something like that...)
Someone getting kidnapped, please. We already have enough of the "friend becomes villain" scenery for the rest of the century. Tragic lost of a friend to the villains would be good as well, it would give a dark atmosphere to the story, so far it had a too cheerful mood and I don't see a real threat coming from the villains.
The last fight was ridiculous because of this lack of reason.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It was the first arc, don't forget. The creepy hand guy is just a flunky himself. When we get the Masters of Evil or Injustice Gang group the villains' threat will improve I'm sure. As for the heroes turning into villains thing, I'd almost expect it. That's a troupe in American comics. Endeavor is practically a villain himself...
 

Bluenotebook

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
63
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Its easy to give him a reason. Let the fire/ice guy become a villian (like sasuke) or someone getting kidnapped. Till now his resolve surrounds the naive idea of being a good guy and help people without a real reason. (tragic lost of a friend, something like that...)
I would appreciate if none of that ever happens.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I know this is kinda off-topic, but Jojo fans will probably laugh at it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top