The Tales of a young Kapparoni: Gary Saltlord Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,331
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

So Holt's awakening is happening soon? XD I think I'm not the only one who recommended you something, but what I would recommend is:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood

That's prolly the most safe anime to start with. Good animation, characters and a story basically loved by everyone. 64 episodes though, not sure if you're willing to watch that many. Otherwise like I said Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. That series is going to show you what animation is capable of nowadays: http://myanimelist.net/anime/22297/Fate_stay_night:_Unlimited_Blade_Works_(TV)

First two episodes are both 45 minutes long though, usually an episode's only around 20 minutes long. Fate Stay Night is an exception because the hype was real in Japan, so they basically did whatever they could to please the fans. There are definitely more, but I think one of those would be a good point to start. Can't really do anything wrong with a fantasy action story, that's the type you should be most used to xD
)
Yeah it wasn't only you. Nuno did too, I think Sky as well? Anyway baby steps so I'll just take it slow. FMA seems a bit long but I watched all (or most) of Naruto and Bleach which are high triple digits so I can manage. As for the ones with 45 mins, since there are only two, it's also fine and understandable as well. I guess I'll start from there.
By 'there', I don't necessarily mean Fate though, I'll just go with my gut
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Different day, same old hunk: xi0 Edition

Yeah they're so similar but no, that's not exactly what I meant. I meant it's a loss because Hachiman actually prevented them from progressing as a group. Sure Yui or mosst likely Yukinon becoming president would've changed things, but they could've worked together in the student council for example. Funnily enough it's the same kind of thing we had with Hayama's group, where Hachiman actually ridiculed him for being shallow friends if that breaks the group. He actually ridiculed Hayama for wanting to preserve that group, and yet he did exactly the same thing for the exact same reason (fear of loss) this time. Sure there was a risk of destroying the group, but Hachiman also destroyed the chance of them progressing as a group and reaching a stronger form of friendship. In the end the show really is about a bunch of teenagers being afraid of loss and change, each dealing with it in their own way. It's really clever and well-written.

I definitely wasn't expecting that level of heat and humidity... :XD
Sure if you look at it like that it is a loss. But at least Hachiman didn't sacrifice himself this time. So it is progress.. Kinda.
Well we can see that now very clearly. Hachiman is completely unable to use his usual wit at the moment. He couldn't defend his ideals in front of Yukinon nor could he actually deal with Iroha like he usually does. Looks to me like 8man is at least trying to change.
Yukinon on the other hand lost her real smile now because she believes that their group is just as superficial as any other group. Fear of loss, of being rejected and being accepted. Three teenagers bing scared of change.
Wasn't it similar back then during the festival? Hikki did anything he could to prevent Yui from confessing to him. :pout
I couldn't agree more. It isn't my favorite show of the season for nothing. :D

Neither was I. But we survived and it was great. :zomg

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Still ignoring my Yahari comment dude ;)
No I didn't. ;D

So... Alibaba... Hahahaha... :XD

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Yeah it wasn't only you. Nuno did too, I think Sky as well? Anyway baby steps so I'll just take it slow. FMA seems a bit long but I watched all (or most) of Naruto and Bleach which are high triple digits so I can manage. As for the ones with 45 mins, since there are only two, it's also fine and understandable as well. I guess I'll start from there.
By 'there', I don't necessarily mean Fate though, I'll just go with my gut
You really should read FMA. It is an amazing Manga. You won't regret reading it.
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,331
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

I started FMA, quick question, Fuhrer Bradley sounds like Fukasaku from naruto (Pa Frog). Is it the same person?
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

I started FMA, quick question, Fuhrer Bradley sounds like Fukasaku from naruto (Pa Frog). Is it the same person?
No, he's voicing Hiruzen (3rd Hokage) in Naruto. He also voices Monkey D. Dragon in OP and Igneel in Fairy Tail: http://myanimelist.net/people/18/Hidekatsu_Shibata
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,331
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Yeah it wasn't only you. Nuno did too, I think Sky as well? Anyway baby steps so I'll just take it slow. FMA seems a bit long but I watched all (or most) of Naruto and Bleach which are high triple digits so I can manage. As for the ones with 45 mins, since there are only two, it's also fine and understandable as well. I guess I'll start from there.
By 'there', I don't necessarily mean Fate though, I'll just go with my gut
Well glad you started with FMA:B, it's fine either way :D Hope you will continue to enjoy it and be motivated to watch more anime afterwards :zomg

Sure if you look at it like that it is a loss. But at least Hachiman didn't sacrifice himself this time. So it is progress.. Kinda.
Well we can see that now very clearly. Hachiman is completely unable to use his usual wit at the moment. He couldn't defend his ideals in front of Yukinon nor could he actually deal with Iroha like he usually does. Looks to me like 8man is at least trying to change.
Yukinon on the other hand lost her real smile now because she believes that their group is just as superficial as any other group. Fear of loss, of being rejected and being accepted. Three teenagers bing scared of change.
Wasn't it similar back then during the festival? Hikki did anything he could to prevent Yui from confessing to him. :pout
I couldn't agree more. It isn't my favorite show of the season for nothing. :D

Neither was I. But we survived and it was great. :zomg

___________________________________

So... Alibaba... Hahahaha... :XD
Well it couldn't have turned out much worse, just look at the results. For Hikki it certainly was progress, considering he actively tried to think of ways that would result in him not sacrificing himself again. Hard to tell if it would have turned out better or worse if he went with his usual approach, but at least he definitely tried to change his ways there. Only to realize that it was a fault to stop Yukinon and Yuigahama since the beginning, no matter the method. In a sense I think Yukinon actually was fine with Yui's way, considering she faced Yukinon and the problem head on, instead of cheap tactics solving none of the real problem behind the curtain. Just talking from her perspective here, in the end they're all at fault to some extent.

Not sure if Hachiman is trying to change for real thus far. Him not being able to use his usual wit is something we saw with his ex-crush again. I think the reason why that happens isn't so much him being conflicted, but more that he can't (pretend to) care shit about the person facing him. It's obvious that his ex-crush is the main/final reason for leaving Hachiman with a pretty big emotional scar, leading to how he acted until now. It's obvious he's insecure and not sure what to do when he faces her, because her bitch-like behaviour is indeed hurting him. For Yui and Yukinon it's simply the other way around, he cares too much about them to act like the cynical "I don't give a fuck what you think" Hachiman. I'm not denying that he's trying to change in some way, but I'm not sure if he's genuinely trying hard. At least it doesn't feel like that, more like he's struggling hard about what to do inside his usual cage of thinking.
I guess all of that sounds pretty negative, but I think that right now they're simply too afraid to start acting for real. Yui and Hikki are trying small steps, but I think they need an outside push to actually come past that. Yukinon has seemingly given up at this point, but maybe she will start acting at some point too.

What scene during the festival are you talking about? :notsure
And yeah, the show's my favourite as well :zomg That means quite a bit coming from a Fate nerd like me :XD

Ah right that's Hiruzen, mistook it for fukasaku.
You would be surprised how many VA's you're going to hear again and again in a huge amount of different shows XD

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

btw haven't seen the new episode yet Sky, so judge my post with that in mind :XD
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Neither have I. I used my free time to read Gintama. :XD
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Saw the new episode and I think I'm mostly staying with what I said so far. Hikki seems like he's actually trying harder than I thought though.... damn this episode ;___;

and btw you should check this out :zomg https://kyakka.wordpress.com/2015/05/11/oregairu-zoku-blu-ray-special-goodies-overview/

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

and damn that changed ending song.... ;___;
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Not to disappoint you or anything but I will watch it last. :nod
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Well FMA is what you'd call "close to a perfect Shounen". I'd put HxH there too if not for the pacing issues at times (non-hiatus related, but hiatuses obviously heavily push the manga down too) and obvious art issues. I don't care if it's fixed in the volume releases. To me it's about keeping true to the world you create, and having a good cast, varied story, interesting and well developed powers and consistency. Why did Naruto fail? Kishi lost his path. Why is OP shit compared to HxH? The powers are cheap and bland, the cast is so-so and the pacing is dreadful and full of "filler" and boring content. It's also way overdramatic. HxH is a REAL story. It doesn't feel overdramatic at all. It has its story flaws as well, like "why weren't more elite hunters sent to deal with the Antmen" etc, but overall the story is kept incredibly well to its designed path. The cast is also amazing, and every "main character" has relevant power. This is where for example Bleach and OP suck dick. The main character is so much more powerful than any other main that everyone else become filler. In Naruto it would be the same if not for Kakashi actually being very strong and Sasuke being an absolute beast (the latter one of the story's saving graces, ironically due to the amount of hate the characters gets). However HxH has the same strength where both Gon and Killua are very strong, but in very different ways. The other mains (and non-main but relevant characters) are obviously also strong (and interesting), except Leorio for obvious reasons, so it's fine. The characters are the cores + the story with all of its aspects (power obviously included) being kept to its designed path. In that sense Togashi does what for example Kishi couldn't do, but at the same time HxH is half of Naruto's length. At chapter 349 Kishi was still well within balance.

FMA has a much more dull power system compared to e.g. HxH, but I like the sacrifice part of it. The "lore" is superb in the story and Ed and Alphonse's motivation (important factor) is both inspiring, down to earth and great at driving the plot. You can say the story gets a little cheesy, but the story gets away with it by being incredibly well told and "kept real" and harshly to its designed path. You can tell the story was well planned out and well executed. Obviously FMA has the edge of being a monthly release, which is a huge advantage not even making the contest fair honestly... It's such a more relaxing working environment, which is obvious from weekly mangaka interviews. Kishi for example struggled a lot with the pressure of having to release weekly. I wonder how the story would be affected if he took some more time off. Not Togashi style long, but maybe take a couple weeks here and now.

Anyway long rant, but basically I'd recommend HxH anime >>>>>>>>>>>>>> FMA personally. I kind of got over the "Bones boner", which was super relevant when FMA:B was airing, making it even more hype. Personally I enjoyed HxH much more, but I experienced the two series with so many years apart that it's hard to fully judge.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

/////WALL CRITS THE THREAD/////

/thread faints
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Not to disappoint you or anything but I will watch it last. :nod
I know I know :XD You can check out the link anyway, there's no spoiler there. The dude is amazing anyway, I've been following him ever since episode 2 because his analysis of each episode always is so spot-on and in-depth. Also helps that he read all of the novels and translated/is translating a big part of them. So in his analysis he usually adds what the studio didn't animate and compares a bit to the novel, from what he said Studio feels is doing a great job mostly. Just read his analysis of the latest episode, so good. Well this sounds too much like I'm in love with the dude lol, just wanted to tell you that it's worth checking out his analysis too if you feel like it.
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

I expected that HxH wall way earlier.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

I expected that HxH wall way earlier.
What do you mean? Back when I watched it? I actually posted quite a few wall posts then, much longer than that one :XD My post summing up all my thoughts was super long ^^
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Never imagined I would see the day when Nuno writes a whole wall of praise for Hunter x Hunter haha, I love it :^) Pretty much agree on everything, only the comparison with FMA:B might be a bit flawed considering the huge gap of time. Like you said it's been years since you (and me) saw the series, with Hunter x Hunter it's only been months. Not saying that FMA is completely without flaws, but with time memory tends to fade on just that many details. I wouldn't make a comparison simply because it's been too long since I saw FMA Brotherhood. What I can definitely say though is that the Hunter x Hunter is a superior adaption though, they just put that much more money into it and doing a great adaption of something with more than double the length is obviously harder. Almost every part of the adaption was doing perfectly.

That's also the main reason why I recommended FMA:B instead of Hunter x Hunter though, the sheer length. Holt is a beginner, he doesn't need to watch another show with almost 150 episodes yet, 64 or so is fine for now. It's honestly the only anime with more than 100 episodes that was superb anyway, at least from my experience.

Good to see you back in writing walls mood btw :D Though your comment is pointless, I made a much much bigger wall here not long ago :P
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Pointless? Well I was just inspired due to the topic. I intended for it to be a short paragraph post. I mean I wrote walls about HxH singing praise when I ended the anime, so not really anything completely new. I feel like HxH got in there for me, like some of the other original stories I watched. Not something which is easy considering the huge nostalgia bias you build up for your "first beloved series". I'm only thankful HxH didn't have the same exposure Naruto did and I didn't get into it first. Would've been hard considering the old anime is... old, and new one obviously wasn't out for many years still, and I got into every major manga title I read first by anime. Getting into HxH first would've been brutal, considering I caught up to Naruto around chapter 300, and it ended 400 chapters later. HxH is still at 349........................................

I remember us discussing the FMA:B vs HxH adaptation rather intensively back when I finished HxH. Was a fun debate definitely, but I feel like we posted a lot of agreement and in that sense discussed in circles.

To be honest I think I remember enough about FMA to give a somewhat fair comparison. But I was never that passionate about FMA, despite always singing praise for its well written story and overall outstanding quality, long before you scrubs were mods =P Since I was never very passionate about FMA since it didn't truly connect with me on a personal level, I simply don't have the passion to discuss it that in depth honestly. HxH is rather easy to dive into a debate for me, but not FMA. That I haven't watched/read it in 7 years doesn't exactly help either. I was 19 when I started reading it >.>
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Wasn't FMA:B also pretty much a 1:1 adaption?
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Yeah pretty much.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Pointless? Well I was just inspired due to the topic. I intended for it to be a short paragraph post. I mean I wrote walls about HxH singing praise when I ended the anime, so not really anything completely new. I feel like HxH got in there for me, like some of the other original stories I watched. Not something which is easy considering the huge nostalgia bias you build up for your "first beloved series". I'm only thankful HxH didn't have the same exposure Naruto did and I didn't get into it first. Would've been hard considering the old anime is... old, and new one obviously wasn't out for many years still, and I got into every major manga title I read first by anime. Getting into HxH first would've been brutal, considering I caught up to Naruto around chapter 300, and it ended 400 chapters later. HxH is still at 349........................................

I remember us discussing the FMA:B vs HxH adaptation rather intensively back when I finished HxH. Was a fun debate definitely, but I feel like we posted a lot of agreement and in that sense discussed in circles.

To be honest I think I remember enough about FMA to give a somewhat fair comparison. But I was never that passionate about FMA, despite always singing praise for its well written story and overall outstanding quality, long before you scrubs were mods =P Since I was never very passionate about FMA since it didn't truly connect with me on a personal level, I simply don't have the passion to discuss it that in depth honestly. HxH is rather easy to dive into a debate for me, but not FMA. That I haven't watched/read it in 7 years doesn't exactly help either. I was 19 when I started reading it >.>
Pointless was in regards to the "THREAD TOOK CRIT HIT" or something you said. Just saying that my e-peen is bigger because I made a way bigger wall not long before your post :kamina

Otherwise your post wasn't pointless at all :XD And yes you did praise Hunter x Hunter since you started watching the anime (I told you it would turn out like this mate :P), just nostalgia kicking in I guess because in the past you would've simply made fun of Hunter x Hunter XD
And I think pretty much everyone went into Naruto/Bleach/OP thanks to the anime first. Don't really know with Hunter x Hunter, but I got into it through the anime as well. And yeah, the first anime was just pretty shitty, so be glad you didn't have to watch that. Not just in terms of animation quality, which obviously was way worse, but they changed just way too much and I dunno, the new anime just captured the "spirit" of the series way better, if you get what I mean.

I don't think we need to get into the argument again, yeah. We compared it to FMA or Naruto often enough and anyone could come up with arguments why this or that series is better. Maybe Kishi could've done better if he had taken breaks like Togashi or something, but in the end that didn't happen so it's simple speculation. Honestly in terms of fighting system and whatnot I think it outdoes Naruto by a lot... but I notice I'm actually going into arguing the same stuff again despite saying there's not much point because we discussed it so much already haha. I think we agree on most things and know where we disagree, so that's good enough.

Dude you heretic, you don't love OP and FMA? How could you!!!
Jokes aside, I get what you mean. Some series just click with you on a personal level and some don't, despite you knowing that the story and characters are superb. Kind of feel the same (though I can get the love for it a lot more than OP) but just like you I haven't seen or read the series since 7 years ago too me thinks. We must've started around the same time lol. Did you read FMA (long) before the the remade anime?
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

I never made fun of HxH actually (what matters, the story). I knew the story was good, I only ever mocked its garbage art in those insane sketch instances, and Togashi for being a slob.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: If we gather the time you all waste being young, this much shouldn't be that difficult

Well that's what you call making fun of something dude, you picked out the worst parts of the manga and mocked it time and time again :XD

Anyway unrelated, but this makes me realize that I really missed our long discussions... ;___;
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top