Society Manga distributors arrested

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
being strict not only the scanners are in danger...
they are just part of the chain of people who work with illegal material and distribute it.
but they are the easiest targets, as without the people to scan we won't be able to start with the rest of the chain.


as to if the ones scanning for us are in danger:
Sure, but to a very low degree compared to japanese scanners.

Because, the scanners here don't use a way to distribute them that the police already said they would strengthen their hold on.
Furthermore, they aren't in japan, but in other countries around the world, which makes it even harder :p


but in the end, we all sit in the same boat, for manga and anime in raw and Edited Manga/fansub are illegally distributed and altered copyright-protected materials.
 

HikaruYami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
524
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But can you really blame those that want to read the manga that comes out in Japan who don't speak Japanese?! There are some mangas in Japan that NEVER make it to America (though almost all popular ones do >>), and online Edited Mangas (or at least the RAW + Translations) are the only way for those people to view them. ^^"

But honestly, if everyone in the world spoke Japanese, I would simply import Shonen Jump for myself and read it every week, basically ignoring people online who wanted to read it (everyone in the world could speak Japanese, so "But my parents won't let me!" wouldn't be a good enough excuse for not getting Shonen Jump imported themselves for me). But even once the manga gets licensed, or an anime gets licensed, it's usually not quite as good as (sometimes horribly worse than) the Japanese versions. So it's only natural for us to get the original versions and have them translated by our awesome members who know enough Japanese.
 

Vato Loco!

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
402
Reaction score
126
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But can you really blame those that want to read the manga that comes out in Japan who don't speak Japanese?!
Yes, you really can blame them. Regardless of how you feel about manga, it is still a crime to do what they, and we do. NAMBLA can justify what they do and stand for, as much as they want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a crime.

Still, they had it coming if they only did it to brag that they were the fastest.
 

Megy

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I feel bad for the poor guys who got arrested. I mean, just think about it, at one time all of us have probably downloaded one of their raws. We've dirtied out hands as well, but the scanners, the ones that work the hardest for raws, get in trouble.

I buy translated manga and I try to support the industry. I don't want Shounen Jump/Sunday to view us as criminals. We have NO defense for downloaing, we just want translated manga right away. But that's impossible due to copyrights and distribution, and it's damn shame.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I feel bad for the poor guys who got arrested. I mean, just think about it, at one time all of us have probably downloaded one of their raws. We've dirtied out hands as well, but the scanners, the ones that work the hardest for raws, get in trouble.

I buy translated manga and I try to support the industry. I don't want Shounen Jump/Sunday to view us as criminals. We have NO defense for downloaing, we just want translated manga right away. But that's impossible due to copyrights and distribution, and it's damn shame.
They arrested people who scanned the magazines, not those who downloaded them. They couldn't possibly go after each person who downloads them.

Regardless of the reasons why people download scanlated manga, it's still in a gray area as far as legality. That will never change.
 

Crayola

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
1,886
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They arrested people who scanned the magazines, not those who downloaded them. They couldn't possibly go after each person who downloads them.

Regardless of the reasons why people download scanlated manga, it's still in a gray area as far as legality. That will never change.
so i take it that this wouldn't be a good thing to add to my resume in the future
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
as long as you don't mention the illegal part of it....

just put "experience in editing/redrawing/repairing/cleaning black and white art with photoshop" or something like that ;)

[nami] Yes ^^...."Extremely talented and well-versed in Adobe Photoshop and good in graphic design" ;) [/nami]

[eni]References can be requested at the impoundment archive of the secret service. [/eni]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

holmes221

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
619
Reaction score
75
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Then what about MH? Will be taken down in the future? I hope not...
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
as long as we dont touch licensed stuff, this site's okay. back then they killed groups scanning licensed

what bugs me is how can narutofan stay firm all these time without getting killed by the companies
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
as long as we dont touch licensed stuff, this site's okay. back then they killed groups scanning licensed

what bugs me is how can narutofan stay firm all these time without getting killed by the companies
same reason why sites like stoptazmo, nationalanime, and all the other sites that offer downloads for a premium (or not) of licensed stuff^^:p

free publicity for the companies, that and well they know that there is more good with having the anime get around and known then to have it not be known and die^^

I'm thinking the reason why the industry is having such a big "Boom" is because of all the sharing that is going around, and how anime is getting to be everywhere...
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think yoniekai is probably referring to the fact Narutofan is making money off other people's work.

I've never understood it either. ;)
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
I think yoniekai is probably referring to the fact Narutofan is making money off other people's work.

I've never understood it either. ;)
That’s what makes life so interesting, you work hard for something and someone steals it away. :notrust
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I think yoniekai is probably referring to the fact Narutofan is making money off other people's work.

I've never understood it either. ;)
yeah, cause Edited Manga is illegal and more is scanning licensed but NF makes money out of it too, and they have tons of users, very hustler-y :blink
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
I'm not saying that they don't, I'm just saying the very sites that bash them do the same thing :p.

http://national-anime.com
↑ran by kane that hosts stop tazmo^^
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I'm not saying that they don't, I'm just saying the very sites that bash them do the same thing :p.

http://national-anime.com
↑ran by kane that hosts stop tazmo^^
i didnt know that! that is really crooked, it's a battle of hustlers
 

holmes221

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
619
Reaction score
75
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I'm not saying that they don't, I'm just saying the very sites that bash them do the same thing :p.

http://national-anime.com
↑ran by kane that hosts stop tazmo^^
Wow this is freak.. A long time back I heard that they are bashing Narutofan badly. But they even do the same thing. yahh who is the bad guy now :p


I don't get it quite right about licensed stuff.
I know that Bleach anime and Naruto anime are licensed - means they are bought by US company and being broadcasted in US..
But what about manga. Naruto and Bleach manga are published in US too.
In anyway all printed publications are licensed stuff or copyrighted, aren't they?
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
i didnt know that! that is really crooked, it's a battle of hustlers
Eh. There's also nobody to stop them. Right now. So presently, it's just two competing businesses throwing mud at each other... kinda like politics :p

The part about "nobody stopping them" is why it is all happening. To that respect, I think NJT is right in that most manga distributors are just letting it go by because they know that without worldwide publicity, they would have never gotten as many fans as they have today. And there's still plenty of manga that will need the attention and the necessary exposure for there to be demand for them.

But at the same time, I'm quite surprised that they are allowed to make money themselves. Maybe they're being considered as "salesmen" and have been deemed to be worthy of the cut for their sites. Either that, or the companies are secretly planning to sue them for all that they're worth in the near future.

xD
 
Last edited:

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
636
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Lol

>_> That means I am in danger if I scanlate ANY popular manga since a company has the distribution rights to the Japanese mangas in China (including Taiwan, Macau and Hong Kong).

Sad... imma so scared >_>
 

KaitenV

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
88
Reaction score
8
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh. There's also nobody to stop them. Right now. So presently, it's just two competing businesses throwing mud at each other... kinda like politics :p

The part about "nobody stopping them" is why it is all happening. To that respect, I think NJT is right in that most manga distributors are just letting it go by because they know that without worldwide publicity, they would have never gotten as many fans as they have today. And there's still plenty of manga that will need the attention and the necessary exposure for there to be demand for them.

But at the same time, I'm quite surprised that they are allowed to make money themselves. Maybe they're being considered as "salesmen" and have been deemed to be worthy of the cut for their sites. Either that, or the companies are secretly planning to sue them for all that they're worth in the near future.

xD
I've yet to see a single manga ad outside of manga? Yet it still sells. <.<
 
Top