Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Its not. What's mostly different is how the people lived and not the teachings.
There aren't different God's either. In the NT, Jesus was personally teaching. The slight differences were due to Jesus coming down and the effects of His sacrifice.
The teachings remain the same. Jesus elaborated on the commandments which God gave Moses for the people to live by.
I'm talking about research into the actual origins of the stories. Many of the ones in the Old Testament pop up in other religions (Flood Myth, etc). There are a lot of inconsistencies in the Old Testament, and it's pretty explainable if you consider that the stories where about different Gods, the actual Gods worshiped in the region back then. There are numerous books written on the subject of the history of Israel and Judah and the emergence of monotheism.
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
What I've read though, the Bible was supposed to be a moral guide. Just happened that the monarchy and the Church feared losin power so they made it a law to take the Bible literally.
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,321
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I'm talking about research into the actual origins of the stories. Many of the ones in the Old Testament pop up in other religions (Flood Myth, etc). There are a lot of inconsistencies in the Old Testament, and it's pretty explainable if you consider that the stories where about different Gods, the actual Gods worshiped in the region back then. There are numerous books written on the subject of the history of Israel and Judah and the emergence of monotheism.
Well the Bible is narrating stories about the past in most cases. There aren't any such inconsistencies. The numerous gods others worshiped are mentioned just because of the narrations.

The God that sent Jesus remains the same as does his teachings. The miracles that occur in the Bible are worked solely by Him. The Bible isn't about the other gods. Ofcourse other gods are mentioned in the process of telling the stories because these gods were worshiped by some but the Bible isn't based on them. If you simply skim through the Bible, its easy to misinterpret this to be about numerous gods and their teachings, hence you would find it inconsistent. However, if you actually read through it, you'll understand its only about one God. He remains the same throughout.

Well about other religions, I wouldn't know. So I cannot make any statements about that.

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

What I've read though, the Bible was supposed to be a moral guide. Just happened that the monarchy and the Church feared losin power so they made it a law to take the Bible literally.
The Bible has a set of commandments established in the OT which were given to Moses for the People to abide by. Jesus later elaborated on these but its fairly the same.

Like where it says not to covet your neighbours belongings, to love your neighbor, to not steal or commit adultery etc. These are all literal.

You have ones like where Jesus said "if you right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off....." this isn't literal.
Jesus talked a lot with parables hence why you have some like this.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well the Bible is narrating stories about the past in most cases. There aren't any such inconsistencies. The numerous gods others worshiped are mentioned just because of the narrations.

The God that sent Jesus remains the same as does his teachings. The miracles that occur in the Bible are worked solely by Him. The Bible isn't about the other gods. Ofcourse other gods are mentioned in the process of telling the stories because these gods were worshiped by some but the Bible isn't based on them. If you simply skim through the Bible, its easy to misinterpret this to be about numerous gods and their teachings, hence you would find it inconsistent. However, if you actually read through it, you'll understand its only about one God. He remains the same throughout.

Well about other religions, I wouldn't know. So I cannot make any statements about that.
I was raised Catholic, went to catechism, was Confirmed. I didn't simply "skim" through the Bible, FYI (not that I'd expect you to know that, of course :XD)

And I'm not talking about being confused or anything. The research that these people have done are about the earliest figures in the Bible, and there's a ton of evidence to suggest that they were polytheists, simply choosing "their" God amongst the others. The Bible itself has been edited many times, sanctioned by the church itself. What I'm saying is that monotheism isn't something that came out of nowhere, it was formed over time, as a means of consolidation.
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,321
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I was raised Catholic, went to catechism, was Confirmed. I didn't simply "skim" through the Bible, FYI (not that I'd expect you to know that, of course :XD)

And I'm not talking about being confused or anything. The research that these people have done are about the earliest figures in the Bible, and there's a ton of evidence to suggest that they were polytheists, simply choosing "their" God amongst the others. The Bible itself has been edited many times, sanctioned by the church itself. What I'm saying is that monotheism isn't something that came out of nowhere, it was formed over time, as a means of consolidation.
Oh my bad. I misunderstood.

Anyway what I think is, the people did follow their gods earlier on, however, the one God still remained. I think its that the God remains Alpha regardless or perhaps God was perceived differently by others or misunderstood.
Based on lack of knowledge, its logical that demons or angels could both be referred to as a 'god'. Or perhaps due to following a particular prophet and his god. Eg, even now, some churches believe the god they worship is different from that of some other churches. Everyone has their unique relationship with God and so can interpret it as 'their' god.

Well that's just my take on it.
 

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
5,929
Gender
Female
Country
Buy Moria
Basically, that would be how people acted back then but that doesn't mean the Bible or the prophets were encouraging such. Although I don't really remember instances like that.
It's funny. This made me think on how Abraham (who can be considered a prophet) told his wife Sarai to pretend she was his sister. So Pharaoh whisked her into his harem and Abraham was given riches for her. What's really amazing is that God rewarded Abraham regardless of his behavior.


The Bible has a set of commandments established in the OT which were given to Moses for the People to abide by. Jesus later elaborated on these but its fairly the same.

Like where it says not to covet your neighbours belongings, to love your neighbor, to not steal or commit adultery etc. These are all literal.
or it's something I would like to call selective morality.
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,321
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
It's funny. This made me think on how Abraham (who can be considered a prophet) told his wife Sarai to pretend she was his sister. So Pharaoh whisked her into his harem and Abraham was given riches for her. What's really amazing is that God rewarded Abraham regardless of his behavior.
She was actually his sister although that was half true. Abraham was not blameless, he had his own shortcoming too, everyone does. There are a number of questionable actions by prophets and followers of God. Its not like they stopped being human.
The Bible tells it as it is, instead of making it look like the prophets were always blameless, because they weren't.




or it's something I would like to call selective morality.
Well, it is pretty clear. Jesus did speak in parables most of the time. I don't think its being selective. Up to how you interpret it I guess.
 

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
One question I want to know, is most of the discussion here only about Christianity and Islam?
I was wondering if there are bits of Judaism here or if there are traces of Hindhusims, Buddhisim here as well, anyways.

In spite of being born a Catholic, I never really felt naturally inclined to this kind of belief, and growing up, I actually got more and more reason to not really buy into this, I don't wish to get into such technical debates, if possible.

But for any devout Christians here, why is so much importance given to the whole story of the formation of Israel, and the story of Jesus Christ Life, not that these things are not important, but...his actual teaching's are just smal footnotes in comparison to this amount of exposition, why is that?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
One question I want to know, is most of the discussion here only about Christianity and Islam?
I was wondering if there are bits of Judaism here or if there are traces of Hindhusims, Buddhisim here as well, anyways.

In spite of being born a Catholic, I never really felt naturally inclined to this kind of belief, and growing up, I actually got more and more reason to not really buy into this, I don't wish to get into such technical debates, if possible.

But for any devout Christians here, why is so much importance given to the whole story of the formation of Israel, and the story of Jesus Christ Life, not that these things are not important, but...his actual teaching's are just smal footnotes in comparison to this amount of exposition, why is that?
Well, considering they're the predominant religions it's not really surprising. We have some jewish members I know of, but yeah. For some reason Christianity and Islam tend to be more topical.

So an Indian Catholic? Pretty interesting. I was raised Catholic as well.

You're asking why Jesus' story is so revered despite being small in comparison to Israel's "story"? Not sure I understand.
 

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
Well, considering they're the predominant religions it's not really surprising. We have some jewish members I know of, but yeah. For some reason Christianity and Islam tend to be more topical.

So an Indian Catholic? Pretty interesting. I was raised Catholic as well.

You're asking why Jesus' story is so revered despite being small in comparison to Israel's "story"? Not sure I understand.
The opposite actually why is Israels story and to a lesser extent even the story of Jesus life talked about more in comparison to his teachings and they mean and represent,isn't that weird?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The opposite actually why is Israels story and to a lesser extent even the story of Jesus life talked about more in comparison to his teachings and they mean and represent,isn't that weird?
Well, Israel's story is more of an Old Testament thing, which doesn't make it unique to Christianity, obviously.

I'd say both go on, but obviously geography is inherently relevant when it comes to things like pilgrimages and such. I mean, I understand your point with the story of Israel, but Jesus' life itself is linked to his teachings. They sort of go hand in hand. But even with the older portions of the Bible, a sense of place is a featured part of many stories.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Well, considering they're the predominant religions it's not really surprising. We have some jewish members I know of, but yeah. For some reason Christianity and Islam tend to be more topical.

So an Indian Catholic? Pretty interesting. I was raised Catholic as well.

You're asking why Jesus' story is so revered despite being small in comparison to Israel's "story"? Not sure I understand.
Islam is seen as bad and full of conflict while Christians are seen as good and holy, and Americans want Christian values.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,048
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Islam is seen as bad and full of conflict while Christians are seen as good and holy, and Americans want Christian values.
Amen!
 

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
India's religious way of doing things holds back its growth as a society, where women are oppressed severely and lower the caste you go, the lower the respect.
What religious way of doing things and what progress is being held back? Frankly, if there is anything that can change your views on religion itself, it is Indian religions, particularly Hindhuism as it exists today,anybody would be surprised with a belief system that encourages you to follow your own beliefs no matter what they be and allow others to do the same,frankly this sentiment as well as many others would really make help India progress more than letting go of them.In fact were it not for the indigenous beliefs of the subcontinent, the whole world would be a more dangerous place, with vast polarization.

Women being oppressed and lower castes(frankly this whole concept of lower and upper caste.) have nothing to do with religions, nearly culture in the world has a problem with treating their women properly, based on what I have seen, in India, by and large women are given respect, even if they are under appreciated and this whole lower and upper caste thing is one of the worst things that the British left us there is no need to blame the religions for something that was influenced by external factors.
In India most of the really devout people don't even try to defend the insults thrown on their beliefs, one particular Hindu group is constantly degraded by the Indian Media, without their views being properly understood and false stories are being made about them, which they don't even try and defend.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
you don't get the irony in that view? Christians have started wars and killed people in the name of Jesus.
That is because Christian's have used a different modus operandi, when it came to getting converts, falsified superiority, rewriting of history and undermining of various indigenous religions leaders, and attacking the sections of society which are isolated, in a way they are more quiet than Islam in getting converts, but just as deadly if left unchecked.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
What religious way of doing things and what progress is being held back? Frankly, if there is anything that can change your views on religion itself, it is Indian religions, particularly Hindhuism as it exists today,anybody would be surprised with a belief system that encourages you to follow your own beliefs no matter what they be and allow others to do the same,frankly this sentiment as well as many others would really make help India progress more than letting go of them.In fact were it not for the indigenous beliefs of the subcontinent, the whole world would be a more dangerous place, with vast polarization.
Indians are worse. They executed a Muslim based on hearsay that he ate beef. I became an atheist because I would rather eat meat and beef and not waste time praying to statues that aren't gods or goddesses. I'm pretty sure all of the prayer songs and crap they make and sell are for profits, like PK and OMG say.

Less religious wars, and less ways to justify horrible behavior using religion. I've read that many white settlers justified treating Native Americans and black people like shit because of the Bible, while the Bible itself basically implies that God is an egotistical asshole.

Women being oppressed and lower castes(frankly this whole concept of lower and upper caste.) have nothing to do with religions, nearly culture in the world has a problem with treating their women properly, based on what I have seen, in India, by and large women are given respect, even if they are under appreciated and this whole lower and upper caste thing is one of the worst things that the British left us there is no need to blame the religions for something that was influenced by external factors.
In India most of the really devout people don't even try to defend the insults thrown on their beliefs, one particular Hindu group is constantly degraded by the Indian Media, without their views being properly understood and false stories are being made about them, which they don't even try and defend.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That is because Christian's have used a different modus operandi, when it came to getting converts, falsified superiority, rewriting of history and undermining of various indigenous religions leaders, and attacking the sections of society which are isolated, in a way they are more quiet than Islam in getting converts, but just as deadly if left unchecked.
How does caste not have to do with religion when castes are subdivision of Hinduism where different groups pray differently with different sets of beliefs? It's still the religions' fault and the people's fault for not doing anything about it. Granted what I know about India is based on the Indian media, like the coverage of Delhi bus rape and other stuff. Women seem to get raped and are seen as babymaking machines that take care of homes.

I agree. I also don't believe Christians in America are as persecuted as they claim.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Islam is seen as bad and full of conflict while Christians are seen as good and holy, and Americans want Christian values.
What does that have to do with my post...?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,048
Gender
Male
Country
United States
you don't get the irony in that view? Christians have started wars and killed people in the name of Jesus.
You mean the crusades? C'mon those while horrible acts, are over and done with but you can not say that for Islam.
Seems there is a new Jihad everyday, c'mon man. Convert to Christianity and find some god damn peace.
Now if Christan's gathered up the folks-men and started some crusaded against other people of different faith.... you might have something.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
You mean the crusades? C'mon those while horrible acts, are over and done with but you can not say that for Islam.
Seems there is a new Jihad everyday, c'mon man. Convert to Christianity and find some god damn peace.
Now if Christan's gathered up the folks-men and started some crusaded against other people of different faith.... you might have something.
lmao what?

So if a Jihadist decided to convert to Christianity they would no longer be insane? This makes no sense.
 
  • Like
Reactions: z.5

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,048
Gender
Male
Country
United States
lmao what?

So if a Jihadist decided to convert to Christianity they would no longer be insane? This makes no sense.
Yes - Jesus gives every man peace bro. Just do it and peace will be upon you. :XD
 
Top