Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
557
Gender
Female
Country
United States
People who asked me questions about literature will probably regret asking :p

I actually do not teach a lot of texts that would easily lend themselves to Kaneki comparisons for a few different reasons. I am an Early Americanist to contemporary American author by trade and I also tend to focus on texts that talk about race and gender and identity. So, not a lot of fantasy or supernatural epics.
However, the other issue is that I think of Kaneki as such a well-crafted character that comparisons feel a bit simplistic to me. Like, comparing him to Gilgamesh-both have complicated relationships with the idea of strength, power, and part of their heroics come from protecting others. Both have the tendency to veer toward cruelty (insanity in Kaneki's case, being an untouchable king in Gilgamesh's) but have something humanizing that keeps them on track most of the time. Kaneki (at least until recently) has Hide and friends, Gilgamesh has Enkidu and later his own mortality. You could do the same with any epic hero I believe and compare them to Kaneki, but every comparison feels like it is simplifying the character to me. That, and TG is a lot more psychological than most epic heroes ever get. Yes, some of my colleagues would fight me on that one :p
So, some of our tragedies would work better in some ways. I actually do not teach a lot of tragedy either since my focus is elsewhere, but you can definitely make similar comparisons with Macbeth. Lady Macbeth and Macbeth I believe both have psychological journeys that can be compared to Kaneki particularly in the themes of throwing away humanity and then guilt over doing so. Othello could work as well with Iago as pretty much every character in Tokyo Ghoul manipulating a well-meaning main character. Though, I am hoping the comparisons end there and that Kaneki does not end up doing what Othello does due to Iago's manipulations.
On another note, fans have predicted when Tokyo Ghoul will end and I hope no matter how long it goes on that it ends in either 3 or 5 parts. That would keep in line with a classical tragedy. Ending it with RE or doing four parts would kill the literature teacher in me.
I mentioned before that I spend a lot of time talking about identity so a lot of my comparisons are actually more geared toward that work. I like talking about people caught in-between-either in-between two cultures or time periods or moral situations. So, we talk a lot about crime and immigration or slave narratives in my class. I actually have a huge week-long section talking about the Salem Witch Trials and Tituba (Amerindian slave who games the system by using British and Indian lore during her trial). There are several texts that remind me of the milieu of Tokyo Ghoul more than any specific character including the ones mentioned above. In some ways, Kaneki is a "half-breed" (to use some early American terminology) caught between different value systems and, in some ways, considered "criminal" to both. Ryunosuke and his darker texts remind me a lot of Tokyo Ghoul-morality being contextual and the beginnings of a dreary modernism movement focusing on the shaky nature of reality, morality, and fragmentation. Or, Anzaldua who talks a lot about figurative "borders" and fragmented identities. Or, Cisneros who talks about alienation and trying to survive in a world that doesn't care about you. Tokyo Ghoul does a lot with being caught between worlds-ghoul VS human being the most obvious one, but even gender (Mutsuki) or the politics of the CCG fit as well. The psychology of Tokyo Ghoul actually reminds me more of modernist and postmodernist movements in the 20th century than the more obvious fantasy/supernatural/epic hero structure which is partially why I like it, I think. It has the ideology and psychological elements that I find interesting in life combined with fun action sequences and I think it does it better than other texts that try to do the same. Like, Ishida amazes me with how well he can balance extremely nuanced psychological aspects with what could be seen as a typical manga action structure.
I will throw out two more texts and then shut up. There is something about TG that reminds me of Watchmen (which I need to re-read-its been awhile so my comparisons won't be as great for that one). Something about the gloomy, questioning, brooding atmosphere combined with heroes does it for me.
Will Graham is also another character that reminds me a lot of Kaneki. I have never taught anything Hannibal, but good guy dragged into dark world and is psychologically and physically damaged. Lots of mind games and a very tragic ending for Will.
That was long, but realistically if I teach Tokyo Ghoul this semester I will focus on comparing him to some of the traditional heroes we discuss particularly in the beginning and then add in the identity fragmentation and cynicism of the modernist and postmodernist movements.
One of my friends is also teaching Tokyo Ghoul through the lens of identity and trauma theory. I don't get into trauma theory much, but that will be interesting as well. I feel proud that I roped her into liking the text and now she teaches it too :p
 

Joseph

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
I'm new here and was just looking to see if anyone can actually help me out with finding a place where I can read the manga of this. I wanted to read the manga where the translations are pretty accurate. I have been using MangaSee so I'm not really positive on how accurate their scans are on there. I've finished Tokyo Ghoul and caught up on :RE but just wondering if there are scans that do have better translations if MangaSee is not.
 

SamsaNeki

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2015
Messages
407
Reaction score
441
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm new here and was just looking to see if anyone can actually help me out with finding a place where I can read the manga of this. I wanted to read the manga where the translations are pretty accurate. I have been using MangaSee so I'm not really positive on how accurate their scans are on there. I've finished Tokyo Ghoul and caught up on :RE but just wondering if there are scans that do have better translations if MangaSee is not.
http://www.twistedhelscans.com/directory/

They're late for Re so you will have to go on another site after the chapter 22.

PS : I hope you'll enjoy the manga ! And if not ...
 

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
557
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Results for the First Tokyo Ghoul Awards have been posted! Go take a look and tell us what you think!
 

Joseph

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
Does anyone have an idea on when the next chapter (62) is suppose to come out? Just curious to know when it is.
 

Qixus

Party Starter
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
593
Reaction score
921
Age
32
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Technically fridays.. when it is released in Japan. Spoilers and whatnot usually start popping up on Saturdays sometimes earlier. The translated scans are posted on either Sundays or Mondays.
 

Joseph

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
Oh okay that's good to know for future reference. Just that a friend of mine had told me that Chapter 62 won't be out for like a month cause they are going on a month break. Do you know if there's any truth to that?
 

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
557
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Joseph-as of now, I see nothing that indicates we are in a hiatus. We will update whenever the spoilers/chapter come out though.
 

Joseph

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
Alright that's good to know. Thank you very much.
 

Dranzer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
614
Reaction score
486
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Guys I just finished Tokyo Ghoul and it would be great if someone could answer a few questions I have.
1. What is the plot for Tokyo Ghoul re?
2. Would you personally say Re is better than Tokyo Ghoul?
3. Throughout the story (so far) do we ever get to meet old characters?
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,329
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Guys I just finished Tokyo Ghoul and it would be great if someone could answer a few questions I have.
1. What is the plot for Tokyo Ghoul re?
2. Would you personally say Re is better than Tokyo Ghoul?
3. Throughout the story (so far) do we ever get to meet old characters?
Well, I'll put this in spoilers ;)
  1. Plot follows Kaneki who now works as a CCG investigator as Haise Sasaki. He lost his memories basically.
  2. Too early to say but personally, I don't think re has matched up to the original yet. It's still very good though and obviously has potential to match or surpass the original considering it's still ongoing.
  3. Yup, we get to meet a lot of old characters.
I guess that says enough without spoiling too much.
If you've already finished Tokyo ghoul, I'd definitely suggest starting (continuing actually) with :re. It's definitely worth it
 

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
557
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I will say that there were points that I felt a bit like re would never come close to the brilliance of the first, but 60 something chapters in and I can honestly say it comes close or even at times matches the greatness of the first. Its definitely worth the read and, if it feels like it is going slow, just remember that Ishida likes his long, slow builds before blowing your mind :p
 

Dranzer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
614
Reaction score
486
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I will say that there were points that I felt a bit like re would never come close to the brilliance of the first, but 60 something chapters in and I can honestly say it comes close or even at times matches the greatness of the first. Its definitely worth the read and, if it feels like it is going slow, just remember that Ishida likes his long, slow builds before blowing your mind :p
The moments when your mind is blown are definitely worth it XD
 

Clupea Harengus

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
10
Reaction score
8
Age
35
Country
Italy
@Iownamovingcastle (Don't know how to quote yet, bear with me)
People who asked me questions about literature will probably regret asking :p

I actually do not teach a lot of texts that would easily lend themselves to Kaneki comparisons for a few different reasons. I am an Early Americanist to contemporary American author by trade and I also tend to focus on texts that talk about race and gender and identity. So, not a lot of fantasy or supernatural epics.
However, the other issue is that I think of Kaneki as such a well-crafted character that comparisons feel a bit simplistic to me. Like, comparing him to Gilgamesh-both have complicated relationships with the idea of strength, power, and part of their heroics come from protecting others. Both have the tendency to veer toward cruelty (insanity in Kaneki's case, being an untouchable king in Gilgamesh's) but have something humanizing that keeps them on track most of the time. Kaneki (at least until recently) has Hide and friends, Gilgamesh has Enkidu and later his own mortality. You could do the same with any epic hero I believe and compare them to Kaneki, but every comparison feels like it is simplifying the character to me. That, and TG is a lot more psychological than most epic heroes ever get. Yes, some of my colleagues would fight me on that one :p
So, some of our tragedies would work better in some ways. I actually do not teach a lot of tragedy either since my focus is elsewhere, but you can definitely make similar comparisons with Macbeth. Lady Macbeth and Macbeth I believe both have psychological journeys that can be compared to Kaneki particularly in the themes of throwing away humanity and then guilt over doing so. Othello could work as well with Iago as pretty much every character in Tokyo Ghoul manipulating a well-meaning main character. Though, I am hoping the comparisons end there and that Kaneki does not end up doing what Othello does due to Iago's manipulations.
On another note, fans have predicted when Tokyo Ghoul will end and I hope no matter how long it goes on that it ends in either 3 or 5 parts. That would keep in line with a classical tragedy. Ending it with RE or doing four parts would kill the literature teacher in me.
I mentioned before that I spend a lot of time talking about identity so a lot of my comparisons are actually more geared toward that work. I like talking about people caught in-between-either in-between two cultures or time periods or moral situations. So, we talk a lot about crime and immigration or slave narratives in my class. I actually have a huge week-long section talking about the Salem Witch Trials and Tituba (Amerindian slave who games the system by using British and Indian lore during her trial). There are several texts that remind me of the milieu of Tokyo Ghoul more than any specific character including the ones mentioned above. In some ways, Kaneki is a "half-breed" (to use some early American terminology) caught between different value systems and, in some ways, considered "criminal" to both. Ryunosuke and his darker texts remind me a lot of Tokyo Ghoul-morality being contextual and the beginnings of a dreary modernism movement focusing on the shaky nature of reality, morality, and fragmentation. Or, Anzaldua who talks a lot about figurative "borders" and fragmented identities. Or, Cisneros who talks about alienation and trying to survive in a world that doesn't care about you. Tokyo Ghoul does a lot with being caught between worlds-ghoul VS human being the most obvious one, but even gender (Mutsuki) or the politics of the CCG fit as well. The psychology of Tokyo Ghoul actually reminds me more of modernist and postmodernist movements in the 20th century than the more obvious fantasy/supernatural/epic hero structure which is partially why I like it, I think. It has the ideology and psychological elements that I find interesting in life combined with fun action sequences and I think it does it better than other texts that try to do the same. Like, Ishida amazes me with how well he can balance extremely nuanced psychological aspects with what could be seen as a typical manga action structure.
I will throw out two more texts and then shut up. There is something about TG that reminds me of Watchmen (which I need to re-read-its been awhile so my comparisons won't be as great for that one). Something about the gloomy, questioning, brooding atmosphere combined with heroes does it for me.
Will Graham is also another character that reminds me a lot of Kaneki. I have never taught anything Hannibal, but good guy dragged into dark world and is psychologically and physically damaged. Lots of mind games and a very tragic ending for Will.
That was long, but realistically if I teach Tokyo Ghoul this semester I will focus on comparing him to some of the traditional heroes we discuss particularly in the beginning and then add in the identity fragmentation and cynicism of the modernist and postmodernist movements.
One of my friends is also teaching Tokyo Ghoul through the lens of identity and trauma theory. I don't get into trauma theory much, but that will be interesting as well. I feel proud that I roped her into liking the text and now she teaches it too :p

Cool take on it, sorry for bumping in. I agree with everything you said, especially the Gilgamesh comparison and 20th century possible roots of Kaneki's character. Gilgamesh is simply the prototype of the epic hero model, not remotely as deep or fledged out as the manga's protagonist. The Hide-Enkidu parallelism would be cool if it came to play in the future though.

What Kaneki immediately makes me come to mind instead is Svevo's "Zeno's Conscience" where the main character, which is also the narrator of the story, lies to the readers about the motives behind his actions throughout the story, concealing more selfish, dark reasons behind the innocuous facade he shows to to the world and himself. The truth comes out therefore not from him but from the other characters such as the wife and her sister. This role seems to have been assumed in the manga too mostly by two guiding women, Touka and Eto. In the book, the mc at the psychological visits he has, also always falls asleep when asked to talk about his infancy just as Kaneki's sleep which gave birth to Haise. The book also ends with the only superficially calm and passive Zeno dreaming of "climbing" to the center of world and detonating a bomb there, eerily similar to Kaneki's will to go out with a flash.

It also reminds me of Kafka's "Metamorphosis" where the mc transforms overnight in a giant insect just as the manga's protagonist does in a ghoul. They both then try to deal with it however they can and they both are abandoned by their families although in TG it happens already before the transformation. Eventually they both try to die out to "free" their families of the burden they represent, Kaneki, differently from Gregor, failing at that though.
 

Joseph

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
I was re-reading a few chapters back in TG :RE and having a little difficulty really understanding what is going on in Chapter 53, Page 12-16 (Up until the "Ive Had Enough of Dreaming. Goodnight, Haise.) I'm under the impression that Haise is the one who has gone to "sleep" and now this is the Kaneki who no longer represses those memories of his mother beating him. The dialogue between each other though is confusing so I want to get clarification of what really is exactly being said.
 

candy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2010
Messages
756
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
United States
omg. so I have this homework assignment for my intro to sociology class, which is:

"Identify and briefly explain an example of role conflict in a video (TV show, movie clip, music video, news segment). Indicate what the 2 statuses are, the 2 roles accompanying these statuses that are in conflict, and briefly explain why the person is experiencing role conflict."

My first thought= Kaneki Ken. Now I've written the assignment and I'm praying my professor is understanding and doesn't think I'm totally crazy:

"In the anime, Japanese TV show, “Tokyo Ghoul” the protagonist, Kaneki Ken, lives in a world where there are humans and creatures known as ghouls. Ghouls look and behave exactly like humans, however they are only able to eat human flesh. After an unfortunate accident, once human Kaneki becomes a half-ghoul, complete with a ghoul’s palate. Thrust into a world of insatiable appetite in which humans are the main course, Kaneki is forced to make a decision. Either he eats humans, thereby eliminating what little there’s left of him that is human and becoming a ghoul, or he doesn’t eat humans, renounces his ghoul half and in doing so is eventually driven mad by his hunger, discovered that he is a ghoul, and is killed by the Doves. The Doves’, otherwise known as ghoul investigators, main goal is to investigate incidences involving ghoul attacks, and the tracking and killing of said ghouls."

.....yep he totally won't think I'm crazy...


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
also I feel as though i have failed to bring to light the amazingness that is Tokyo Ghoul....
--- Double Post Merged, ---
don't hurt me :(
 

EustassKiddo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Country
Belgium
omg. so I have this homework assignment for my intro to sociology class, which is:

"Identify and briefly explain an example of role conflict in a video (TV show, movie clip, music video, news segment). Indicate what the 2 statuses are, the 2 roles accompanying these statuses that are in conflict, and briefly explain why the person is experiencing role conflict."

My first thought= Kaneki Ken. Now I've written the assignment and I'm praying my professor is understanding and doesn't think I'm totally crazy:

"In the anime, Japanese TV show, “Tokyo Ghoul” the protagonist, Kaneki Ken, lives in a world where there are humans and creatures known as ghouls. Ghouls look and behave exactly like humans, however they are only able to eat human flesh. After an unfortunate accident, once human Kaneki becomes a half-ghoul, complete with a ghoul’s palate. Thrust into a world of insatiable appetite in which humans are the main course, Kaneki is forced to make a decision. Either he eats humans, thereby eliminating what little there’s left of him that is human and becoming a ghoul, or he doesn’t eat humans, renounces his ghoul half and in doing so is eventually driven mad by his hunger, discovered that he is a ghoul, and is killed by the Doves. The Doves’, otherwise known as ghoul investigators, main goal is to investigate incidences involving ghoul attacks, and the tracking and killing of said ghouls."

.....yep he totally won't think I'm crazy...


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
also I feel as though i have failed to bring to light the amazingness that is Tokyo Ghoul....
--- Double Post Merged, ---
don't hurt me :(
wow, it would be pretty entertaining to tell the Tokyo Ghoul for my homework. you're lucky, no kiddin lol i wish i had that chance, too.. i want these kinds of homeworks man, really my department sucks.
 

candy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2010
Messages
756
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
United States
wow, it would be pretty entertaining to tell the Tokyo Ghoul for my homework. you're lucky, no kiddin lol i wish i had that chance, too.. i want these kinds of homeworks man, really my department sucks.
I haven't gotten back the grade yet, i'll let you know how it went! I've written papers for several english classes which included papers on D.Gray-Man and Princess Mononoke...and received decent grades on them, although the general feedback made me think my teachers were just confused....the trick is to make the writing prompt work in your favor! there's actually a class at my college called "apocalyptic visions through anime/manga" which basically is just you talking about anime/manga the entire time...why oh why can i not fit that one in my schedule...
 
Top