Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
It specifically says it'll be in WSJ, yes.
Looks like they're taking a page from WSS and having a series run monthly alongside the weeklies. It's a pretty good idea as you get more series in the magazine without having to end a bunch. I guess at some point they'll have three more of these? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if HXH ends up being one, since normally when it comes back they just say "It's back" and announce what issue it'll be back in rather than just announcing when they'll reveal details. It'd make sense so they have one monthly series per week ---again like how WSS has it, and it'd be less likely for HXH to run out of chapters as quickly, maybe? I know the argument has always been that HXH will remain in WSJ, but this way it would, so it works.
 

redon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
1,758
Reaction score
17,725
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yu-Gi-Oh! special chapters for its film will be published in Weekly Shonen Jump #19 (11/04) and #20 (18/04), and Naruto special chapter in Weekly Shonen Jump #21/22 (25/04).

So I think Hunter x Hunter will return in Weekly Shonen Jump #18 (04/04).
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
Isn't it like, too soon?
I mean, when they advertise HxH's return they used to tell us at least a month in advance.
Next issue is number 16. Is it really possible for Hunter to resume on Issue 18?
 

ryozen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
22
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
A guy pointed it out in ESJ
Hinomaru Zumo - chapter 22 (2014 issue 48)
Boku no Hero Academia - chapter 23 (2015 issue 3)
Black Clover - chapter 24 (2015 issue 36)
Sesuji Dance-bu X
Mononofu X
Samon-kun wa Summoner - chapter 24 (2016 issue 15)
Assassination Classroom had it at its 17th chapter.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I pretty much agree with your theory. I could also see a serious like World Trigger moved to monthly if the Ashihara's health problems persist or worsen. That way they follow the Sunday model of a new monthly every week.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
IMO it would be great if JUMP did this (The once a month manga), I mean it's win/win, that way they have popular series in WSJ (the magazine with the biggest current circulation) and slow popular mangaka get to continue in JUMP, I would love to see a line-up like this:
-Hunter x Hunter
-Boruto
-World Trigger
-Slam Dunk 2 (Not gonna happen lol)

It's interesting to notice that, to my knowledge, other than Captain Tsubasa's sequel, no other spin-off or sequel has ever been published in WSJ, as in once a manga ends in WSJ it usually ends for good in WSJ, for example TONS of popular manga get sequels, spin-offs, but they are published in Ultra Jump, or other Jump magazine, because the demography of said manga usually has grown up, but maybe Jump decided to publish Boruto in WSJ because is a cow that still has milk as a shonen targeted demography.. Perhaps 10 years from now we will see a Seinen targeted Naruto reboot in Ultra Jump or something.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
IMO it would be great if JUMP did this (The once a month manga), I mean it's win/win, that way they have popular series in WSJ (the magazine with the biggest current circulation) and slow popular mangaka get to continue in JUMP, I would love to see a line-up like this:
-Hunter x Hunter
-Boruto
-World Trigger
-Slam Dunk 2 (Not gonna happen lol)

It's interesting to notice that, to my knowledge, other than Captain Tsubasa's sequel, no other spin-off or sequel has ever been published in WSJ, as in once a manga ends in WSJ it usually ends for good in WSJ, for example TONS of popular manga get sequels, spin-offs, but they are published in Ultra Jump, or other Jump magazine, because the demography of said manga usually has grown up, but maybe Jump decided to publish Boruto in WSJ because is a cow that still has milk as a shonen targeted demography.. Perhaps 10 years from now we will see a Seinen targeted Naruto reboot in Ultra Jump or something.
Its a dumb business move that devalues their dedicated monthly magazines. They could have easily had boruto join jump sq. New Prince of Tennis does fine in its magazine for example. After a few months I wouldn't be surprised to see Boruto move.

Why do people insist world trigger yo move, you do know how many weeks its been since the last break? Hxh going monthly is kind of silly considering how slow paced it is. Itd get nowhere.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
IMO it would be great if JUMP did this (The once a month manga), I mean it's win/win, that way they have popular series in WSJ (the magazine with the biggest current circulation) and slow popular mangaka get to continue in JUMP, I would love to see a line-up like this:
-Hunter x Hunter
-Boruto
-World Trigger
-Slam Dunk 2 (Not gonna happen lol)

It's interesting to notice that, to my knowledge, other than Captain Tsubasa's sequel, no other spin-off or sequel has ever been published in WSJ, as in once a manga ends in WSJ it usually ends for good in WSJ, for example TONS of popular manga get sequels, spin-offs, but they are published in Ultra Jump, or other Jump magazine, because the demography of said manga usually has grown up, but maybe Jump decided to publish Boruto in WSJ because is a cow that still has milk as a shonen targeted demography.. Perhaps 10 years from now we will see a Seinen targeted Naruto reboot in Ultra Jump or something.
I think technically Jojo might count since Stone Ocean is officially a separate series. The merchandise cash cows get sequels in V-Jump instead of a seinen magazine, but that's really just Yugioh and DBZ right now.
As for World Trigger, if the author's feeling better there isn't much point in changing the schedule. Even before, he was able to almost keep up with weekly, so absolute worst I'd say he could go to biweekly if he really had to. Monthly would be terrible for the series, it may be pretty much my favorite in the magazine but the pacing is pretty glacial at times.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@SharkBait:
Is it really a dumb business move? WSJ is targeted at kids around 10, I don't think SQ is targeted at that demography, the way I see it they could have published Boruto in a Kodomo magazine but then it would have been toned down, and SQ was probably a magazine whose demography was way older than what they intended.. WSJ was a good fit for the serialization of Boruto.

New Prince of Tennis is a different story, that's a manga that fujoshis are gonna buy wherever it's published, being moved to SQ was an intelligent move, though it definetly lost some readers moving from WSJ to SQ, but that's beside the point as most long manga lose readers at one point..

Putting it other way, I don't think Boruto would have been a good fit in SQ, and it wouldn't have attracted any new readers, I think.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@SharkBait:
Is it really a dumb business move? WSJ is targeted at kids around 10, I don't think SQ is targeted at that demography, the way I see it they could have published Boruto in a Kodomo magazine but then it would have been toned down, and SQ was probably a magazine whose demography was way older than what they intended.. WSJ was a good fit for the serialization of Boruto.

New Prince of Tennis is a different story, that's a manga that fujoshis are gonna buy wherever it's published, being moved to SQ was an intelligent move, though it definetly lost some readers moving from WSJ to SQ, but that's beside the point as most long manga lose readers at one point..

Putting it other way, I don't think Boruto would have been a good fit in SQ, and it wouldn't have attracted any new readers, I think.
Targetted to 10 year olds? Are you sure thats right for weekly shonen jump?
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I think technically Jojo might count since Stone Ocean is officially a separate series. The merchandise cash cows get sequels in V-Jump instead of a seinen magazine, but that's really just Yugioh and DBZ right now.
As for World Trigger, if the author's feeling better there isn't much point in changing the schedule. Even before, he was able to almost keep up with weekly, so absolute worst I'd say he could go to biweekly if he really had to. Monthly would be terrible for the series, it may be pretty much my favorite in the magazine but the pacing is pretty glacial at times.
You seem to be missing on other not so cashy cows, that used to be HUUUUGE back in their days, e.g. Hokuto No ken which IIRC has at least a spin-off being published right now, Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, all those mangas because they are old mangas (and whose readership is now old) are being published in Seinen magazines..
Even not-so old manga like Nube and Ninku were published in Seinen magazines..

And as you mentioned Dragon Ball and Yugioh are being published in V-Jump, which IIRC is kodomo? Meaning they are kiddy friendly manga.. Which is a shame because that means the stories are toned down.. And that's why I'm glad Boruto wasn't published in V-Jump, in WSJ it can get away with a lot of stuff and actually be an interesting manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Targetted to 10 year olds? Are you sure thats right for weekly shonen jump?
You know what I meant, perhaps the audience its being target now isn't exactly 10, but today's JUMP is way tamer than say the Jump published in 2000 (They actually showed female nipples for example, if they have showed female nipples in a current title let me know, because I haven't seen it) and waaaaaaaaay tamer than the Jump of the 80s, so yeah I would say that on average their target audience is around 10 years old, or at the very least in the case of Naruto that is, I understand where you are getting and the fujoshi audience I know isn't 10 year old girls, and in the case of Naruto I think the main audiences is kids, with all the merchandise, toys, the anime, video games, etc, fujoshis being of course a huge audience too, but I wouldn't say they are the target audience.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You seem to be missing on other not so cashy cows, that used to be HUUUUGE back in their days, e.g. Hokuto No ken which IIRC has at least a spin-off being published right now, Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, all those mangas because they are old mangas (and whose readership is now old) are being published in Seinen magazines..
Even not-so old manga like Nube and Ninku were published in Seinen magazines..

And as you mentioned Dragon Ball and Yugioh are being published in V-Jump, which IIRC is kodomo? Meaning they are kiddy friendly manga.. Which is a shame because that means the stories are toned down.. And that's why I'm glad Boruto wasn't published in V-Jump, in WSJ it can get away with a lot of stuff and actually be an interesting manga.
Yeah, I know about all the old series with seinen spinoffs. Kinnikuman is in Weekly Playboy I think, which is about as seinen as it gets. I just mean that the ones that are specifically merchandise go to V-Jump because that's specifically a magazine about video games and stuff like that so it makes sense to buy it. Like, every issue comes with Yugioh cards, and I think there's some Dragon Quest stuff and a new Phoenix Wright manga just started this issue.
All the other stuff goes to seinen magazines, although it looks like they are trying to get some of the younger audience by publishing the volumes under Jump Comics instead of whatever label they'd normally be under. They also had the most bizarre special chapter circumstances I've ever seen, a couple months ago, they put a chapter of Hell Teacher Nube NEO from Grand Jump in freaking Saikyo Jump of all places. Really not sure what they were trying to accomplish with that.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You know what I meant, perhaps the audience its being target now isn't exactly 10, but today's JUMP is way tamer than say the Jump published in 2000 (They actually showed female nipples for example, if they have showed female nipples in a current title let me know, because I haven't seen it) and waaaaaaaaay tamer than the Jump of the 80s, so yeah I would say that on average their target audience is around 10 years old, or at the very least in the case of Naruto that is, I understand where you are getting and the fujoshi audience I know isn't 10 year old girls, and in the case of Naruto I think the main audiences is kids, with all the merchandise, toys, the anime, video games, etc, fujoshis being of course a huge audience too, but I wouldn't say they are the target audience.
I think the magazine tries to cater to everyone since it is the most read yet like most magazines has had a declining circulation. I doubt the young kids are reading a few of the series running. Naruto fans will follow wherever naruto is. Its not like it didnt have its spinoff running in another magazine or that everyone that buys the volumes is a buyer or reader of jump weekly.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Yeah, I know about all the old series with seinen spinoffs. Kinnikuman is in Weekly Playboy I think, which is about as seinen as it gets. I just mean that the ones that are specifically merchandise go to V-Jump because that's specifically a magazine about video games and stuff like that so it makes sense to buy it. Like, every issue comes with Yugioh cards, and I think there's some Dragon Quest stuff and a new Phoenix Wright manga just started this issue.
All the other stuff goes to seinen magazines, although it looks like they are trying to get some of the younger audience by publishing the volumes under Jump Comics instead of whatever label they'd normally be under. They also had the most bizarre special chapter circumstances I've ever seen, a couple months ago, they put a chapter of Hell Teacher Nube NEO from Grand Jump in freaking Saikyo Jump of all places. Really not sure what they were trying to accomplish with that.
Phoenix Wright is gonna be published in V-Jump..? To my understanding V-Jump is a kodomo mag?? How are they going to get away with the murders?

I think the magazine tries to cater to everyone since it is the most read yet like most magazines has had a declining circulation. I doubt the young kids are reading a few of the series running. Naruto fans will follow wherever naruto is. Its not like it didnt have its spinoff running in another magazine or that everyone that buys the volumes is a buyer or reader of jump weekly.
I understand your point, I still prefer Boruto being published in WSJ, Saikyo/V-Jump would have been a tone down in violence, which I wouldn't have liked and SQ would have been pretty much the same as WSJ, as for Jump Ultra and Young Jump they were pretty much out of question, too seineny for Naruto universe (Right now, maybe in the future) but, as you said:

Naruto fans will follow wherever naruto is.

Yeah, I agree with that, real Naruto fans would follow the Naruto manga wherever its published, but right now Boruto isn't really a manga, is more like a big commercial, aiming to sell LOTS of toys, videogames, TCGs, etc.. SQ is a magazine aimed more towards teenagers, whilst WSJ is aimed towards kids/teens, from a business perspective publishing Boruto in WSJ would continue to make the brand relevant (Which is what they want) and the ads they will publish are targeted adds, putting in other way, way more kids read WSJ than SQ, that's obvious even from the start because IIRC WSJ circulation is almost 5x/6x times that of SQ, even if it were the same, SQ is read by a more mature audience, perhaps an audience that could be targeted by ads of certain Naruto items, but that couldn't care less for the release of the new expansion of the Boruto TCG, the new Naruto coloring books or other children merchandising, if Boruto is run in WSJ you can cater to a bigger audience, I'm talking ads here, which is basically what Boruto is at this point a huge advertisement, Shueisha couldn't care less how much it sells, though it selling nice (and it probably will) would be really good too.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Phoenix Wright is gonna be published in V-Jump..? To my understanding V-Jump is a kodomo mag?? How are they going to get away with the murders?
It's not really as much a kodomo magazine as stuff like Saikyo Jump, more that it just exists to sell stuff that kids are more likely to buy. There's already raws out for the PW series, it doesn't have anything that would really be objectionable either way since most of it's in the courtroom.



Now that I think of it, there actually was some Naruto stuff in SQ last year or so. Think it was just a poster and an interview, but they obviously did think it was worth putting in there.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
You know what I meant, perhaps the audience its being target now isn't exactly 10, but today's JUMP is way tamer than say the Jump published in 2000 (They actually showed female nipples for example, if they have showed female nipples in a current title let me know, because I haven't seen it)
Not really arguing with anyone here but Bleach did show nipples 2 years ago. He did it very quietly. Like it wasn't there and it was there at the same time. Maybe that was just Kubo being Kubo and doing whatever the fuck he wants. :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top