Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I feel Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind vibe when reading it (Sahara of the Flower Samurai).
 

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
I like Sahara of the Flower Samurai because of it's premise. It's interesting. The characters aren't that bland and the premise is interesting. It's not as emotionally impactful as My Hero Academia's first chapter, but it's still entertaining.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also, his allergy bit is relatable and funny.
 

Reincarnated

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
I like Flower Samurai. True it has shounen generic formula, but the series reminds me of Kenshin very much, I like Sahara'ss personality. I just hope the girl isn't useless and depend on MC every time.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with being generic as long as the execution is good. MHA is a good example. Sahara seems like it could be pretty unique tho, maybe
 

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
Someone asked about Ginatashiki, so here is my simplistic synopsis.
The main character, Akamine Tsukitaka, is good at ever sport he plays, therefore he finds them boring. He doesn't know what to do with his life, so he decides to look for a girlfriend. A new student is introduced. The heroine of the story. She's a loli that carries a big stick. Her name is Kunita Mitsuru. Apparently, the whole school is full of lolicons because every guy finds her so cute, including the Tsukitaka, Tsukitaka approaches Mitsuru during a break between classes. She asks him if he knows someone named Saijou Sakura. He doesn't, but she finds out where he is and says to Saijou "You're the same as me, so come back." He gets freaked out and leaves. She grabs her giant stick and chases after him. Tsukitaka and his gang follow to see what's going on. Some references about Summer Wars and the scene with the granny and the spear were made. The sport of the series is Naginatajutsu. It's basically the spear version of kendo. It's primarily practiced by women according to wikipedia. In the end Tsukitaka-kun finds out he's not that good at this sport and the loli wins the match, but when the loli goes up against Saijou she immediately loses. Afterwards, Kunita and Tsukitaka leave school together, and she instructs him and teaches him about Naginatajutsu while eating some sweets. The chapter ends with Tsukitaka claiming how interesting and exciting Naginatajutsu is.
My Japanese isn't that great, but that's the basic premise of the first chapter Ginatashiki. I think it's an alright manga. I like Yuu Miki and I would like to see him succeed. However, I don't think this will be his breakout hit.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well I hope Sahara of the Flower Samurai and Kaijuu Arms Dealer find success among the Japanese readers because I really liked those.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What series did you like @RafaFedKilla ?
Ill let you know over the weekend, busy studying for school and my Japanese isn't as good as yours. What resources did you use to learn? But just from my flip through, Jump Giga is something I'll support. If any of these series take off, I won't be able to handle the bimonthly schedule.
 

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
There's a rugby manga, and I have a feeling that it's going to go the Kuroko no Basket route. At the beginning of the series one of the characters stops a car that's about to run over a child with his bare hands. Like what. The art ranges from good to bad.

@RafaFedKilla I jump between stuff when learning Japanese. My vocab sucks. I tried to read through Kaijuu Arms Dealer, but I just ended up giving up. I can recognize simple phrases and make out some dialogue. Sometimes through context clues I can make out a word I don't know.

I bought this box-set of books called Living Language Japanese. I don't know if I recommend it. I feel it waits way to long in introducing kanji, and it always uses romanji. I could understand the beginner book having romanji (it has 3 books btw: beginner, intermediate, advanced), but for the intermediate and advanced it's just distracting. I also like to use youtube. There's this guy called Yuta Aoki and he sends out Japanese lessons through emails. He teaches natural Japanese speech not taught in textbooks. Another good one is Japanese Ammo with Misa. She teaches grammer, vocabulary, and natural Japanese speech. There's also Tae Kim, and Kanji-Link.
 
Last edited:

Varus

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
129
Reaction score
57
Country
England
shamelessly stolen from reddit but this is too good

This feels forced the fact that everything is taken out of context takes away the purpose of this image for me
It is sad when you realize someone went out of his way and put effort into this attempting to prove an already proven point.
This is Black Clover by the end of the day it is not that hard to criticize it without manipulation or over exaggeration
 

Ihore

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2016
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
2,280
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Sahara seems like a standard adventure manga, nothing from it really stood out yet for me.

Tbh i would have preferred if the author stretched the events in this chapter 1 into a full volume.
It would have been a lot better imo
 
Last edited:

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
Shinigiwa is pretty interesting. It's about a guy who can see how people are going to die, but if he tries to prevent the death of that person, he loses skin off his body slowly turning into the skeletons he sees. However, if some else dies in the place of the person that was supposed to die, Mamoru's (main character) punishment is less severe. Really interesting concept.

Also, @RafaFedKilla Here is something you should learn: It's the first 80 Kanji taught in the first grade. Also make sure to use: http://jisho.org/ to correctly learn how to write the kanji.
 
Last edited:

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
Holy crap, did the main character in Red Sprite get even younger? He looks like a freakin' pre-schooler.
 

Ihore

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2016
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
2,280
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
I wish the picture was better quality, but i guess i will have to make do with this for today.

Red sprite MC looks incredibly young, not sure how i will feel about this series but will wait for chapter 1 before jumping off the fence.

Love Rush the mc looks a bit different(maybe its just the expression) but the girls look the same.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
The only way I can see Red sprite being more than a complete failure is if the MC is the son of a general and there is a timeskip after the first chapter or two. Neverland piques my interest as I like the art and wonder about the neck numbers.

UFOcat, thanks for the Ginatashiki summary.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Those characters from Neverland look amazing.
Judging by those numbers maybe it's some sort of Deadman Wonderland thing?
 

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
The only way I can see Red sprite being more than a complete failure is if the MC is the son of a general and there is a timeskip after the first chapter or two. Neverland piques my interest as I like the art and wonder about the neck numbers.

UFOcat, thanks for the Ginatashiki summary.
Actually, besides the time skip part, I was thinking the exact same thing about Red Sprite.

And your welcome.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
so I was thinking we are already at issue 34 of 2016 which means Golden Future Cup should be starting soon, but still no oneshots announcements & last year winner Toteku is still nowhere to be seen, so I wonder if they will start GFC before Toteku serialization

last year was embarrassing, they were heavily promoting GFC while in the same time Devilyman was flopping hard
GFC ended in issue #41 while Devilyman was axed in issue #42
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shinigiwa is pretty interesting. It's about a guy who can see how people are going to die, but if he tries to prevent the death of that person, he loses skin off his body slowly turning into the skeletons he sees. However, if some else dies in the place of the person that was supposed to die, Mamoru's (main character) punishment is less severe. Really interesting concept.

Also, @RafaFedKilla Here is something you should learn: It's the first 80 Kanji taught in the first grade. Also make sure to use: http://jisho.org/ to correctly learn how to write the kanji.
Thanks. I used WaniKiani for a bit since it helps you memorize kanji, their meanings and pronunciations. I need to find more resources and just brute force my way through it.

Damn. I had no idea the mangaka of Million Kingdom had another oneshot. I loved that one, such great worldbuilding and style. Kempa Trick is something I want to check out, since I have an affinity for obscure sports titles.
 

UFOCat

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
201
Reaction score
56
Age
29
Country
United States
Ok, correction time. In Ginatashiki, the reason why all the boys in the school are so enthralled by Kunita is because she is the only girl in an all boys school. Maybe this might describe the setting. Since, according to Wikipedia, Naginatajutsu is mostly practiced by women it would be kind of odd for a male character to take up the sport. I guess Yuu Miki thought that making the setting an all boys school would somewhat cover as a plot device for Tsukitaka to pick up Naginatajutsu.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top