Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

first of all welcome warrd, second your question was answered one page back, but I'll give you a summary anyway, a political turmoil happened after prophet mohammed died in who should succeed, thats where the first differentiation between sunni and shiat muslims happened, that political turmoil influenced the formation of the muslim shiat, when the became a seperate entity they had a bit different rules to sunni muslims in a few areas but generally they are still muslim.

the fighting each other part, thats answered in the page before too, but let me tell you, its mostly for political reasons, like hizbullah in lebanon fought in the lebanese civil war with everyone, muslims sunnis, muslim shiats even in another group called amal, and the other christian militia that used to be there, in iraq, well saddam hussien was very strict with the shiat population, and not so of the sunni, although he was still strict with everyone, anyway that lead to a bit of trouble between the two groups but sometimes its just ridiculous, in iran , a war happened between iraq and iran that I dont even remember the reason to, but that was purely political, I think even most muslims sympathized with iran in those times, there wasnt really much of sunni shiat, so with these examples you can see its not just becuase they are different they are fighting, it might help that they call themselves different names but its not the main reason, everyone is fighting each other in the middle east unfortunately, and its not becuase they are muslim or shiat, some try to get power, some try to hold on to power, some try to get what is rightfully theirs, and with highest unemployment rates in the world and an economy you cant count on, its not really strange things are not goin well in the middle east is it, anyway this thread is about islam and not politicas so I'll end it here, I only went into politics becuase it would answer yopur question, hope that was enough.
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

thanks for the reply conan. :hug very concise explanation from you. :)

im kinda too preoccupied with my final exam right now :s please pray for my success..
 

Warrd

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
244
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
Lebanon
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

thanks conan for the reply...
but still its better if they live in peace together :)

and amar good luck with ur exam ... !
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

thanks conan for the reply...
but still its better if they live in peace together :)

and amar good luck with ur exam ... !
well of course it is but that isnt a case, the middle east is a very complicated area especially for those who havent been there and dont really know the political social econimic religous and power formulas, in the middle east nothing as it seems, its like a stock market where one rumor can destroy a ruling body or lift it, its really that simple and complicated at the same time.
my point was that sunni and shiah dont fight for that reason, what I mean is that if everything was peaceful in the middle east and no one was fighting and only sunni and shiat muslims were fighting, then I would agree they were killing each other but thats not the case, that was just the point I was trying to make.
thanks for the reply conan. :hug very concise explanation from you. :)

im kinda too preoccupied with my final exam right now :s please pray for my success..
no problem amar kun, and I wish you well on your exams, I'll take care of things here until you come back soon inshallah ;).
 

libra_86930

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
132
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

hey, you guys are great for doing this ^___^ and for those that had questions about islam and asked here, well its great that you actually made an effort to actually ask about islam rather than believing the media..

I have a question though.. I heard this once before... is that humans are at its weakest at around5-6 pm.. that is why we are not encouraged to nap at those time... I think theres a scientific reason but theres also a reason in islam that explains it.. mind enlightening me again? >.< I heard about this one long ago but I forgot what it was


hey, you guys are great for doing this ^___^ and for those that had questions about islam and asked here, well its great that you actually made an effort to actually ask about islam rather than believing the media..

I have a question though.. I heard this once before... is that humans are at its weakest at around5-6 pm.. that is why we are not encouraged to nap at those time... I think theres a scientific reason but theres also a reason in islam that explains it.. mind enlightening me again? >.< I heard about this one long ago but I forgot what it was
 
Last edited:

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

your welcome libra, about your question I know that it was mentioned by the prophet that asr and fajr are the hardest prayers becuase of their time one is most weakest, so it fits your description, but I dont really know the authentic hadeeth so its not much help I am sorry to say, but my advice is I think there is something about theprophets habits regarding this, and some advice he made about it, but again I am not sure.

most questions we get here are philosophical and theological or something from the mainstrean nedia, but your question stands out in that its about muslim habits, I may not know much as much about these questions as I want to but I like them the most, so thanks for asking it and sorry for not giving you a satisfying answer.
 

libra_86930

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
132
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

oh, its alright ^^ thanks for trying
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

As for sleeping after ‘Asr, this is also permitted; there is no saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to indicate that sleeping at this time is prohibited.

As for the words, “Whoever sleeps after ‘Asr and loses his mind as a result has no-one to blame but himself,” which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this is a false hadeeth and there is no proof that these words were uttered by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). See: Silsilat al-Da’eefah, no. 39.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
I looked it up and found this. It's from a reliable site but as always Allah knows best. :)
 

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
32
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

Just adding on to the halal questions posted a few pages ago. I found something quite interesting that really is worth reading.

If you have the time;
Is Islamic Slaughtering Cruel to Animals?

By Dr. Aisha El-Awady
02/02/2003




Islam’s stance on what is permissible to eat and what is not is clear. There are strict rules when it comes to meat regarding what is allowed and what is forbidden. In Surat Al-Maida (The Table) Allah says: "Forbidden to you [for food] are: Al-Maytatah (the dead animals -cattle-beasts not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and the meat of that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah, or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering, and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns - and that which has been [partly] eaten by a wild animal - unless you are able to slaughter it [before its death] ­ and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An­Nusub[ (stone altars). [Forbidden] also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision, [all] that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allah and sin). This day, those who disbelieved have given up all hope of your religion, so fear them not, but fear Me. This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin [such can eat these above-mentioned meats], then surely, Allah is Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful."

The Islamic practice of slaughtering animals by means of a sharp cut to the front of the neck has frequently come under attack by some animal rights activists as being a form of animal cruelty, the claim being that it is a painful inhumane method of killing animals. In the West, it is required by law to stun the animals with a shot to the head before the slaughter, supposedly to render the animal unconscious and to prevent it from reviving before it is killed so as not to slow down the movement of the processing line. It is also used to prevent the animal from feeling pain before it dies.

German Research Studies Pain

It therefore may come as a surprise to those who have made such acclimations to learn of the results of a study carried out by Professor Wilhelm Schulze and his colleague Dr. Hazim at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover University in Germany. The study: ‘Attempts to Objectify Pain and Consciousness in Conventional (captive bolt pistol stunning) and Ritual (halal, knife) Methods of Slaughtering Sheep and Calves’ concludes that Islamic slaughtering is the most humane method of slaughter and that captive bolt stunning, practiced in the West, causes severe pain to the animal.

In the study, several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of the brain. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks. Some animals were then slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and the carotid arteries as well as the trachea and esophagus (Islamic method). Other animals were stunned using a Captive Bolt Pistol (CBP). During the experiment, an electroencephalograph (EEG) and an electrocardiogram (ECG) recorded the condition of the brain and the heart of all animals during the course of slaughter and stunning.

The results were as follows:

I – Islamic Method

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.

2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to the large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.

3. After the above-mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving a maximum amount of blood from the body thus resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.

II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of animals stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Islamic method resulting in the retention of more blood in the meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

Western-Style Slaughtering and Mad Cow’s Disease

Not only is this method of stunning animals before the slaughter severely painful as shown by the previous experiment, but there is also a rising concern that this method may be a factor in the spread of mad cow’s disease from cattle to humans as it was discovered in recent research carried out at Texas A&M University and by Canada’s Food Inspection Agency, that a method called pneumatic stunning (which is the firing of a metal bolt into the cow's brain followed by a pulverizing burst of 150 pounds of air pressure) delivered a force so explosive that it scattered brain tissue throughout the animal. This news is disturbing since the brain tissue and spinal cord are the most infectious parts of an animal with mad cow disease, which causes fatal Swiss cheese like holes in the brain of the infected animal. It is more disturbing to find out that around 30 to 40 percent of American cattle are stunned by pneumatic guns.

Islamic Regulations for the Slaughter




As one can see from the previous studies, Islamic slaughtering of animals is a blessing to both the animal and to humans alike. In order for the slaughtering to be lawful, several measures must be taken by the one performing the deed. This is to ensure the highest benefit to both the animal and the consumer.

In this regard, the Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) said: "God calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter: sharpen your blade to relieve its pain".

The object used to slaughter the animal should be sharp and used swiftly. The swift cutting of vessels of the neck disconnects the flow of blood to the nerves in the brain responsible for pain. Thus the animal does not feel pain. The movements and withering that happen to the animal after the cut is made are not due to pain, but due to the contraction and relaxation of the muscles deficient in blood. The prophet (peace be upon him) also taught Muslims neither to sharpen the blade of the knife in front of the animal nor to slaughter an animal in front of others of its own kind.

The cut should involve the windpipe (trachea), gullet (esophagus), and the two jugular veins without cutting the spinal cord. This method results in the rapid gush of blood draining most of it from the animal’s body. If the spinal cord is cut, the nerve fibers to the heart might be damaged leading to cardiac arrest thus resulting in stagnation of blood in the blood vessels. The blood must be drained completely before the head is removed. This purifies the meat by removing most of the blood that acts as a medium for microorganisms; meat also remains fresh longer as compared to other methods of slaughtering.

Therefore accusations of animal cruelty should very rightly be focused on those who do not use the Islamic way of slaughtering but prefer to use those methods which cause pain and agony to the animal and could also very well cause harm to those consuming the meat.
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

first of all thanks azurel for your answer, you made a much better argument than I did and answered much better than I could have.

second of all, adamz, that is one good piece of information youve got, I just had to comment, I've seen sheep being slaughtered in the eid uladaha many times, its quite customary that at that time people buy sheep and a butcher goes around for slaughtering and then cutting the sheep so it can be measured in thirds, a third for the poor, a third for family, and third for yourself, what the research described happens at slaughter from a humans visual perspective is very true, so that much I can say is accurate, but unfortunately, in my home country we dont have vets, we dont have veterinary studies, and the only way such research could be conducted was in europe unfortunately, but I am still glad it has been done, I would like to hear more research done on this since there is interest here in the community in the united kingdom, and one time there was a talk of banning such acts as slaughtering sheep or cattle by muslims or jews, I think some people will be sceptical, but if they are they should either contact researchers or research the issue themselves, this research is quite convincing, it defines pain in a right way and the sensory methods seem all accurate and up to date, which makes me believe this research and have the same conclusions as it, thanks again adamz for posting this and raising this issue.

finally I have to say I am a bit glad the way the discussion in this thread is going on, its not about the major questions, nor is it about philosophy or theology, its more about habits, and way of life, which even us muslims could have different ways of answering and understanding, maybe even each as his own culture, or scholar etc etc, wich makes the discussion a whole lot more interesting.
 

libra_86930

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
132
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

oh? so theres nothing actually against sleeping near maghrib prayer times? thank you for taking the trouble for looking it up:amuse
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

well, it's not prohibited but I think it's in our culture perhaps coz my mum always nag at my bro not to sleep during those times.. She said because it's not good.. :amuse
 

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
32
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

well, it's not prohibited but I think it's in our culture perhaps coz my mum always nag at my bro not to sleep during those times.. She said because it's not good.. :amuse
Yes, I think it's the same in the Malay and Indonesian culture?
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

I'm not too sure about Indonesian. Please don't mistook my Singapore flag for Indonesia flag, I get that often :XD
 

libra_86930

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
132
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

see, see?? I'm not the only one who gets confused!! XD
 

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
32
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

I'm not too sure about Indonesian. Please don't mistook my Singapore flag for Indonesia flag, I get that often :XD

Oh no, Azurel/Libra, I knew it was a singaporean flag, I was just asking if indonesians are the same. Because obviously I'd consider Azurel to be Malay. xD
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

Ah yes, but who noes I mite have been a chinese muslim.. you can't assume I'm a malay.. :p hahah j/k
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Since this is a manga forum, it was decided to limit the number of discussion thread concerning relatively sensitive subjects (i.e.: religions, government/politics, multi-national corporations, etc.). Thus, I merged the existing Islam Q&A Thread and Christian Q&A Thread into Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread.
And I would also like to remind everyone to keep it peaceful and friendly, there will be no bashing or making any ambiguous statement here. Keep it nice and clean, ok?

Thank You
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Islam Q&A Thread

Ah yes, but who noes I mite have been a chinese muslim.. you can't assume I'm a malay.. :p hahah j/k
fact: do you know that the number of muslim in china is greater than total number of muslim in arab countries?

it seems that islam do not belong only for arabs.. it is mercy to all mankind..:amuse
 

Absolutio

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
1,750
Reaction score
66
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
i have a question for the muslims here.
Well, I know thats Mecca is the most important city/place of the muslims, And I also know that Jerusalem is the 3rd. So my question is, what is the 2nd most important, and are there more than just 1, 2, 3?
Thank you. =D

[ts] took the three seconds it required to look up the correct spelling of Mecca for the poster. [/ts]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top