Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Could just be that they had the comment decided already or something and we'll see a few more next week, Yuragi guy I think done that with Kochikame.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Shimabu is from a different generation from the newbies who have flooded the magazine nowadays, so he is neither close nor important for most people to congratulate.
:3
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Was I generous in my prediction then? That's surprising, I thought you guys would defend World Trigger to your heart's contents. XD
Well, given Vampire Killer, WT should have ended like one-two years ago.^^

Regarding WT, I remember reading in ch2 that its merch is selling pretty well in Japan, shoes, costumes, trinkets, stickers, posters, pillowcases, etc. And I think Toei was smart enough with their anime contract to also have rights or at least sharing of the profits of the merch given their 120 episode boost they gave that manga.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Shimabu is from a different generation from the newbies who have flooded the magazine nowadays, so he is neither close nor important for most people to congratulate.
I don't think that mattered. Bleach started in 2001 and we had people congratulating him even 2 weeks after it was over.
It is definitely strange to not have other mangaka compliment Toriko or at least thank him for his hard work.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I don't think that mattered. Bleach started in 2001 and we had people congratulating him even 2 weeks after it was over.
It is definitely strange to not have other mangaka compliment Toriko or at least thank him for his hard work.
I think it's closer to Bleach having more name recognition than Toriko does. Most of the current line-up grew up with Bleach so it'd make sense for more of them to give congrats to Kubo compared to Toriko which just debuted near the end of the last decade.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
A lot of them may not be caught up or that familiar with Toriko or Nisekoi, which may be why they didn't shout them out.
Most of the didn't grow up with those series like they did with Bleach. And most were never in the magazine with the two for very long. Plus Bleach was way bigger than both in it's prime.

With that being said, I still think they should have gave him a shoutout out of respect for a long run in the magazine
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
That's how I see it too. By the time Toriko started most of the mangaka had already begun their careers. Toriko simply isn't a series they have any sentiments towards. I do wish more had congratulated him, but that's just how it is I guess.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Demon Plans art is really fucking good. The story at least wasn't that bad until it went the Naruto/Sasuke route. Hopefully it'll change in the future chapters. Looking at the CP it looks like they come together again
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Demon Plans art is really fucking good. The story at least wasn't that bad until it went the Naruto/Sasuke route. Hopefully it'll change in the future chapters. Looking at the CP it looks like they come together again
It was translated?
 

Varus

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
129
Reaction score
57
Country
England
Demon Plans art is really fucking good. The story at least wasn't that bad until it went the Naruto/Sasuke route. Hopefully it'll change in the future chapters. Looking at the CP it looks like they come together again
Reminded me of Owari no Seraph, I don't think the switch was that bad but let us wait for the translation first though.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Reminded me of Owari no Seraph, I don't think the switch was that bad but let us wait for the translation first though.
Your actually right now that I think about it. I try to shove Owari no Seraph out of my mind so it never struck me how similar their situation is. At least the plots more interesting...?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Thanks. Looking forward to reading Demon's Plan on Monday, since you guys say it's decent
 

Varus

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
129
Reaction score
57
Country
England
Thanks. Looking forward to reading Demon's Plan on Monday, since you guys say it's decent
I've only looked at the raws I wouldn't call it decent just yet.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I was looking at this year's rankings for some statistics that I'm preparing for Issue 52 when I noticed something about Clover.
Clover was unranked for 12 issues this year with 9 color pages and 3 covers. The series was inconsistent with it's placements at the start(issue 1 in December) where it would rank somewhere between 6-8 but it would sometimes jump to the top and when that happens One Piece is always absent. This pattern went on until Issue 16 where AssClass ended and Clover was in it's best arc and ever since then the series has been consistently at the top with Issue 10 being the last time it was placed below 5th. It ranked 1st 7 times this year, the only two who got more were One Piece and MHA. One Piece was absent 6 out of the 7 times Clover ranked 1st and it wasn't ranked 10 out of the 11 times Clover placed 2nd. It ranked 3rd 7 times and recently it has been pushed down to 4th and 5th a few times by mostly Hinomaru and once by Ghost Tits and Neverland.

Issue 52 will debut Amalgam of Distortion's first ranking and it will also rank Clover's chapter with the whole light novel fiasco, but most importantly One Piece will be ranked. I don't think Japan will be fond of that chapter or the current arc so this should signal the Clover's fall for now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top