Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Some people think Fire Punch is a commentary about faith and beliefs, other thinks it's just an just an edgy shonen, I don't care, whatever the mangaka is trying to do his execution is so clumsy and his writing is all over the place, it doesn't deserve to be nominated for anything in my eyes.
The beginning was cool, but after that it became a festival of shock value.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I hope they do it properly this time, but the wasted first season will not come back unfortunately.
Don't really understand the dislike for the first season. It had good animation and pretty much adapted the manga panel by panel
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I wish Bones would have committed himself to the animation of HeroAca as they committed to that of Mob. And it would be quite appropriate, since the manga is aesthetically flashy.


Don't really understand the dislike for the first season.
The pacing.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Don't really understand the dislike for the first season. It had good animation and pretty much adapted the manga panel by panel
That was the problem though. It adapted it panel by panel, including the flashbacks. In the manga, the flashbacks took up a small amount of space, and went by pretty fast. The anime took those and played them out completely, slowing the pace to a crawl. I liked S1, it was a good adaptation, but the pacing was a big issue for me.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I wish Bones would have committed himself to the animation of HeroAca as they committed to that of Mob. And it would be quite appropriate, since the manga is aesthetically flashy.




The pacing.
That was the problem though. It adapted it panel by panel, including the flashbacks. In the manga, the flashbacks took up a small amount of space, and went by pretty fast. The anime took those and played them out completely, slowing the pace to a crawl. I liked S1, it was a good adaptation, but the pacing was a big issue for me.
I'm not saying it's perfect. Just saying I don't see how people could dislike it all together and say it's a bad adaptation of the manga
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I'm not saying it's perfect. Just saying I don't see how people could dislike it all together and say it's a bad adaptation of the manga
Well the main complaint other than that, was the dislike for Izuku as the MC... which is odd because I think he is a great MC. I guess a lot of people are impatient and just want him to be fully developed and ready for battle from episode 1.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
That was the problem though. It adapted it panel by panel, including the flashbacks. In the manga, the flashbacks took up a small amount of space, and went by pretty fast. The anime took those and played them out completely, slowing the pace to a crawl. I liked S1, it was a good adaptation, but the pacing was a big issue for me.
Yeah, the manga is extremely dynamic. The anime is the complete opposite.
It's not a bad adaptation, but it did not capture the essence of the original.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Probably, Boku no Hero Academia season 2 will only adapt the tournament. If it's so, Bones is doing it in a really bad pace.

Even if I love HeroAca, the manga is really slow, Bones should have fastened the pace a bit to atract more people. Make a 2 cour season to adapt just until Stain would be the best, and then a second season to adapt until All Might retires.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Probably, Boku no Hero Academia season 2 will only adapt the tournament. If it's so, Bones is doing it in a really bad pace.

Even if I love HeroAca, the manga is really slow, Bones should have fastened the pace a bit to atract more people. Make a 2 cour season to adapt just until Stain would be the best, and then a second season to adapt until All Might retires.
Well they already teased Stain for season 2, and he's in the Key Visual, along with Shigaraki... so I'm pretty sure they are adapting that arc as well.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Well the main complaint other than that, was the dislike for Izuku as the MC... which is odd because I think he is a great MC. I guess a lot of people are impatient and just want him to be fully developed and ready for battle from episode 1.
Well I understand some people who weren't familiar with the manga were "eh" on it cause of the slow start(which imo the beginning is great). But mainly speaking on people who are familiar with the manga, at least somewhat enjoy it, but think the adaptation was bad.

For me I think they could have reduced the flashbacks, but that was a nitpick for me, not a major issue. I would imagine it may be a nuissance for someone being introduced to the series for the first time, but I guess it didn't bother me because I knew what was coming next anyway.
My only bother was that the art didn't match Horikoshi's sometimes. Like the scene when Shigaraki first emerges from the portal. And sometimes the animation dipped, but a lot of that looks like it was improved in Blu Rays
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I don't think the manga is slow, actually, sometimes things develop too fast. But I agree that if Bones had inserted more content the result would have been better. Shit, the anime takes 5 episodes to have action, academy and new characters. Maybe that's why the audience was bad.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Probably, Boku no Hero Academia season 2 will only adapt the tournament. If it's so, Bones is doing it in a really bad pace.

Even if I love HeroAca, the manga is really slow, Bones should have fastened the pace a bit to atract more people. Make a 2 cour season to adapt just until Stain would be the best, and then a second season to adapt until All Might retires.
It's hard to say because on one end I think 13 episodes isn't enough to adapt both Sports Festival and Stain. I think the perfect length for that would be like 15 episodes. But anime(or at least Bones) usually always keeps it at 12/13 or 24/25, and the later would be too much.

I personally think they should start running seasons the same way Gintama and Fairy Tail runs seasons, and just adapt til the end of something major. Or have smaller gaps between seasons(if it gets a 3rd season) and just make it bi-seasonally
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did Ringo get a volume release? I'm so worn out on Jump relaunching Next/Giga/Crossed
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I dont get how people think the manga is slow. I remember looking back after I read it and realising that USJ finished at chapter 22 or something. At the time it felt like 40 because of all that happened. There arent many series that have a full blown, large scale action arc where so much shit hits the fan start before the 15th chapter... just look at all of Jumps other series since then, most of them only have that scale of an arc at 30+ chapters if at all (And is one of the main issues i have with many of them). And even the later arcs are much shorter than they seem. If anything i think its pretty damn fast.

The anime on the other hand was slow because it adapted the manga so perfectly. That style doesnt work to well in Anime, so they should have cut and sped up stuff.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Shorter seasons will benefit the longevity and the relevance of the series down the line.
Is quite the opposite though! Shorter Seasons make for hugher declines over a period of time that in term influence the longevity and relevance of the series negatively.

Longevity -> The norm for popular series is getting 2 seasons, and at best 4 seasons. Is rare the cases where a series get more than that!

Relevance -> In terms of Disk Sales normally is seen a 20%-50% decrease from seasons. Is rare the cases where there is a boost in sales.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
It's hard to say because on one end I think 13 episodes isn't enough to adapt both Sports Festival and Stain. I think the perfect length for that would be like 15 episodes. But anime(or at least Bones) usually always keeps it at 12/13 or 24/25, and the later would be too much.

I personally think they should start running seasons the same way Gintama and Fairy Tail runs seasons, and just adapt til the end of something major. Or have smaller gaps between seasons(if it gets a 3rd season) and just make it bi-seasonally
Fairy Tail? The long running series, that got cancelled because Satelight bailed out and ended its "1st season" in the middle of the arc in an horrible place, and than returned when Bridge took its place, but just for a short time.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
My main problem was the length and the material it covered but I know that production started early so I won't get into that.
The production didn't started earlier. It started just at the normal time. Other series don't start production just when the project greenlit is announced publicly.

And starting earlier means there is more time, and so they can adapt more, not less.

And there are series that started their anime way before when My Hero Academia started and got a lot more episodes and adapted way more than what My Hero Academia did. Example Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, their anime production started as soon as the manga started.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That was the problem though. It adapted it panel by panel, including the flashbacks. In the manga, the flashbacks took up a small amount of space, and went by pretty fast. The anime took those and played them out completely, slowing the pace to a crawl. I liked S1, it was a good adaptation, but the pacing was a big issue for me.
Yes, that's it. And the amount of episodes, 12 episodes were too few and it didn't get to the point that really mattered.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Is quite the opposite though! Shorter Seasons make for hugher declines over a period of time that in term influence the longevity and relevance of the series negatively.

Longevity -> The norm for popular series is getting 2 seasons, and at best 4 seasons. Is rare the cases where a series get more than that!

Relevance -> In terms of Disk Sales normally is seen a 20%-50% decrease from seasons. Is rare the cases where there is a boost in sales.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Fairy Tail? The long running series, that got cancelled because Satelight bailed out and ended its "1st season" in the middle of the arc in an horrible place, and than returned when Bridge took its place, but just for a short time.
--- Double Post Merged, ---


The production didn't started earlier. It started just at the normal time. Other series don't start production just when the project greenlit is announced publicly.

And starting earlier means there is more time, and so they can adapt more, not less.

And there are series that started their anime way before when My Hero Academia started and got a lot more episodes and adapted way more than what My Hero Academia did. Example Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, their anime production started as soon as the manga started.
Fairy Tail was cancelled? I thought they just take breaks to avoid long filler arcs
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Fairy Tail was cancelled? I thought they just take breaks to avoid long filler arcs
The second animation studio bailed out of the project, Satelight. They, A-1 Pictures had to find a new one Bridge.

And there is only 1 "break" in Fairy Tail anime.
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
When will shosekiranking update
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't know if this is a one time thing or permanent

it's seems that Jump stopped giving colored chapters to Soma on the digital version & gave the colored chapter to Yuuna instead
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail


:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman:feelsbadman
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top