Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldadoInvernal

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Messages
41
Reaction score
7
Age
26
Country
Brazil
Again, a series in the magazine, males in average more money than in volumes. Only in high popularity series that are selling more than 300-400 thousand is different(not accurate values because I'm talking it director of memory, but I'm almist certain I postes here about the more accurate values).

Also is importante to note that the magazine brings way more money to the company than the volumes. Between selling had in some séries volumes and undermine the magazine, the first is the obvious choice to take
Nop, the magazines brings only loss to the company. Loss that they think will be paid in the sale of volumes.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Nop, the magazines brings only loss to the company. Loss that they think will be paid in the sale of volumes.
Do I need to again explain how this works?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
pretty sure leader takeshi wouldve been way popular than Toriko if it got an anime. It was selling more than Toriko before toriko got its anime.

leader takeshi ended prematurely because of you know what...so thats not always right.
Also dragon ball sold at its best the same as Dr. Slump. What made it surpass it is the boost it got Years later with the release of the Kazenban and Dragon Ball Kai.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
"Explain how this works"? I guess that it's pretty obvious how the Manga market works.
What you're mixing up is finaces and accounting.

The cost you're counting as "magazine costs" arent, and the magazine has loss only works in a cashflow perspective. Where the first money to flow are the costs, than the magazine earnings(advertisement first, than retailers payment) and later the volumes.

Basically, if there was no magazine and only volumes the "magazine costs" would still be there(example: the authors and editors salaries.) and in that case it would be the volumes that would be at a loss. Because those costs are in fact what is called SGA cost(Selling, general and administrative costs) and they aren't Magazine exclusive, but the entire product line(magazine, volumes, ...) cost.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It was nice remind everybody that Shonen Jump is a business above all and it is governed by business rules and concepts.
However, it is not necessary this knowledge to see that sales means little to the maintenance of new series in the magazine. We had a few examples of series that sold fairly well, but was canceled and series that don't sell that much, but are still in the magazine because it doesn't appear at the bottom.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I wonder why they don't transfer series to another magazine more often, than straight up cancelling them. Like if Yaiba, Samon, and Straighten Up never increase in sales, maybe move them to Jump+
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I wonder why they don't transfer series to another magazine more often, than straight up cancelling them. Like if Yaiba, Samon, and Straighten Up never increase in sales, maybe move them to Jump+
I remember back when Jump± first started along with Soul Catcher (S) and iShoujo moved with it some of us thought that would be the case.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I wonder why they don't transfer series to another magazine more often, than straight up cancelling them. Like if Yaiba, Samon, and Straighten Up never increase in sales, maybe move them to Jump+
Since when did they cancelled Yaiba, Samon and Streighten Up? And did you not understood what I wrote? Being in the magazine is better than sales. So why remove them from the magazine, decreasing its strength and just keep its sales of the volumes? It makes no sense.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why they would transfer series? They would become more popular because of this? If they don't make success in Jump, they will not make success anywhere else in Shueisha's portfolio. O.o
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Since when did they cancelled Yaiba, Samon and Streighten Up? And did you not understood what I wrote? Being in the magazine is better than sales. So why remove them from the magazine, decreasing its strength and just keep its sales of the volumes? It makes no sense.
I'm not saying they're removed or should be removed. I'm glad they're in the magazine.

I'm saying even if they were to be removed for the reason of low sales, I don't get why Jump doesn't utilize moving stuff to Jump+ more often rather than straight up axing the series
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Why they would transfer series? They would become more popular because of this? If they don't make success in Jump, they will not make success anywhere else in Shueisha's portfolio. O.o
Well my point is, like a lot of other people said, Jump's standards for a successful series is a lot higher than the standards of other magazines. If they were to cancel something due to the volume sales not matching up to the sales of other series, why not move it to Jump plus.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I remember back when Jump± first started along with Soul Catcher (S) and iShoujo moved with it some of us thought that would be the case.
Ultra Battle Satellite Plus is coming any minute now



they published the epilogue on the app for free to rub it in
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well my point is, like a lot of other people said, Jump's standards for a successful series is a lot higher than the standards of other magazines. If they were to cancel something due to the volume sales not matching up to the sales of other series, why not move it to Jump plus.
Because we have more than enough evidence that sales doesn't matter for new series, if they go well in the magazine, they will continue serializing, if don't, they will be canceled. That's it.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do yall think Ole Golazo or Demon's Plan will survive? Or Both? Throw whether you like the manga or not out the window
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
In a way, I hope Yuragi goes the route of a long runner anime cause I think its potential can be that good, but it'll probably be demanding next year. I'd wait 3 years, not a big deal
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm not saying they're removed or should be removed. I'm glad they're in the magazine.

I'm saying even if they were to be removed for the reason of low sales, I don't get why Jump doesn't utilize moving stuff to Jump+ more often rather than straight up axing the series
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Well my point is, like a lot of other people said, Jump's standards for a successful series is a lot higher than the standards of other magazines. If they were to cancel something due to the volume sales not matching up to the sales of other series, why not move it to Jump plus.
Wouldn't be better for the author of that series to try doing another series, one that can be better and more popular? Instead of stagnate with just it?

You have the example of the authors of:
- Bleach
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- Slam Dunk
- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Haikyuu!!
- Nisekoi(yes, Nisekoi)
- Assassination Classroom
- Death Note(the artist)
and more

If they had kept their series that sell just average, they wouldn't do such successful and way better series.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Do yall think Ole Golazo or Demon's Plan will survive? Or Both? Throw whether you like the manga or not out the window
I think Demon's Plan may be successful because it may appeal to younger readers like Black Clover did(although i think Clover had a better start).
Even though I love Golazo, I think it may have a harder time surviving
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
In a way, I hope Yuragi goes the route of a long runner anime cause I think its potential can be that good, but it'll probably be demanding next year. I'd wait 3 years, not a big deal
They can do a Long Running anime and start the anime by the 1 year and a half of the manga. That happened with Dragon Ball and Hunter x Hunter.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Wouldn't be better for the author of that series to try doing another series, one that can be better and more popular? Instead of stagnate with just it?
I was just about to mention that, switching a decent selling but low ranking series to Jump+ might be a nice idea but it's pretty much ensuring it'll never grow any bigger (at least not unless Jump+ suddenly kicks it off big in a few years). If a creator can sell volumes at a decent level despite bad rankings Jump maybe figures it's more worth taking the risk and seeing if they've got better future ideas that could make it big than letting them hang around continuing a semi-failure.

Also it would probably wouldn't be too great for Jump+'s reputation if it became knows as 'that place where WSJ dumps their failures'.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I was just about to mention that, switching a decent selling but low ranking series to Jump+ might be a nice idea but it's pretty much ensuring it'll never grow any bigger (at least not unless Jump+ suddenly kicks it off big in a few years). If a creator can sell volumes at a decent level despite bad rankings Jump maybe figures it's more worth taking the risk and seeing if they've got better future ideas that could make it big than letting them hang around continuing a semi-failure.

Also it would probably wouldn't be too great for Jump+'s reputation if it became knows as 'that place where WSJ dumps their failures'.
My point isn't necessarily to have it there for the next 7 years. But for things that have a decent fanbase, but aren't quite big enough for Jump, maybe give it a year or 2 in Jump+ to give a good enough run to satisfy the artist and fans.

Give it gradual cancellation rather than an abrupt cancellation. Maybe there's reasons why they don't do this though
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Do yall think Ole Golazo or Demon's Plan will survive? Or Both? Throw whether you like the manga or not out the window
If you want that I throw my tastes out the window, I need data to make a neutral decision and since there is no rankings for neither of them yet, I say that I don't have information enough to comment about this.

My point isn't necessarily to have it there for the next 7 years. But for things that have a decent fanbase, but aren't quite big enough for Jump, maybe give it a year or 2 in Jump+ to give a good enough run to satisfy the artist and fans.

Give it gradual cancellation rather than an abrupt cancellation. Maybe there's reasons why they don't do this though
That's easy, money.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top