Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You Totally inflated the numbers! XD

500k per volume in a year? In the United States? Nope! That never happened. If you're talking about the entire series, and in the hype year where people are catching up every volume, maybe. I Believe Attack on Titan was able to achieve that, maybe.

Last year, 2015 best volume was Tokyo Ghoul volume 1, with 50,541 copies sold. And the next one Attack on Titan volume 1, with 34,107 copies sold.

2014 best volume was Attack on Titan volume 1, with 54,520 copies sold. Next one Attack on Titan volume 2, with 37,266 copies sold. (Yep, in 2 years of Attack on Titan in the USA, the 1st volume only sold 84,648 copies).

2013 best volume was Naruto volume 60, with 28,631 copies sold. Next one Attack on Titan volume 1, with 28,512 copies sold(Yep, in 3 years Attack on Titan volume 1 did 113,160 copies sold in USA, and was a huge phenomenon).

2012
1º- Sailor Moon v3 -> 22,400
2º- Sailor Moon v4 -> 19,362

The peak of Naruto in the USA:
2008
1º- Naruto v28 -> 103,848 copies sold
2º- Naruto v29 -> 76,442 copies sold

US Manga sales 2003-2015 (known)

Naruto vol.1- 409,117 w/omnibus 1- 443,505
Death Note vol.1- 242,103 w/Black Edition 1- 318,141
Bleach vol.1- 225,518 w/omnibus 1- 255,173
Fullmetal Alchemist vol.1- 199,314 w/omnibus 1- 245,897
Fruits Basket vol.1- 192,247
Rurouni Kenshin vol.1- 157,404 w/VIZBIG 1- 191,500
Vampire Knight vol.1- 147,996
InuYasha vol.1- 143,988 w/VIZBIG 1- 150,690
Black Butler vol.1- 115,958
Attack on Titan vol.1- 114,139 w/colossal ed1- 88,337
Chobits vol.1- 112,675 w/omnibus 1- 122,714
Yu Gi Oh vol.1- 105,930
Love Hina vol.1- 93,430
Soul Eater vol.1- 91,817
Negima vol.1- 83,737
Blue Exorcist vol.1- 80,414
Fairy Tail vol.1- 80,191
Trigun vol.1- 76,184
Rosario Vampire vol.1- 76,145
Dragon Ball vol. 1- 74,818 w/VIZBIG 1- 104,819
Sailor Moon vol.1- 72,955 w/boxset 1- 86,091
Black Bird vol.1- 71,215
One Piece vol.1- 71,185 w/omnibus 1- 100,278
D.Gray Man vol.1- 67,222
Dragon Ball Z vol.1- 67,097 w/VIZBIG 1- 91,895
Tokyo Ghoul #1- 50,541
Azumanga Daioh vol.1- 43,087 w/omnibus - 67,694
Bakuman vol.1- 35,383
Yotsuba& vol.1- 34,624
Deadman Wonderland vol.1- 33,064
Rosario Vampire Season 2 vol.1- 30,451
One Punch Man #1- 28,371
Highschool of the Dead vol.1- 21,943
Monster Musume vol.1- 20,230
Air Gear vol.1- 20,011
Assassination Classroom #1- 18,532
Nisekoi vol.1- 16,359
UNOFFICIAL HATSUNE MIX- 15,822
HxH vol.1- 14,421
Seraph of the End #1- 13,072
Food Wars #1- 12,310
Gintama vol.1- 12,034
Yu Yu Hakusho vol.1- 11,118
Nausicaa of valley- 9,609

*cut off 9,500

Other popular series

Toriko - no volume has ever made an appearance
Reborn vol.2- 5,099
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Publishers outside Japan do a heroic job keeping publishing with these meager sales... For Japanese publishers like Shueisha must be almost irrelevant and just an extra cash....
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
France, the biggest manga market in the Occident
US Manga sales 2003-2015 (known)

Naruto vol.1- 409,117 w/omnibus 1- 443,505
Death Note vol.1- 242,103 w/Black Edition 1- 318,141
Bleach vol.1- 225,518 w/omnibus 1- 255,173
Fullmetal Alchemist vol.1- 199,314 w/omnibus 1- 245,897
Fruits Basket vol.1- 192,247
Rurouni Kenshin vol.1- 157,404 w/VIZBIG 1- 191,500
Vampire Knight vol.1- 147,996
InuYasha vol.1- 143,988 w/VIZBIG 1- 150,690
Black Butler vol.1- 115,958
Attack on Titan vol.1- 114,139 w/colossal ed1- 88,337
Chobits vol.1- 112,675 w/omnibus 1- 122,714
Yu Gi Oh vol.1- 105,930
Love Hina vol.1- 93,430
Soul Eater vol.1- 91,817
Negima vol.1- 83,737
Blue Exorcist vol.1- 80,414
Fairy Tail vol.1- 80,191
Trigun vol.1- 76,184
Rosario Vampire vol.1- 76,145
Dragon Ball vol. 1- 74,818 w/VIZBIG 1- 104,819
Sailor Moon vol.1- 72,955 w/boxset 1- 86,091
Black Bird vol.1- 71,215
One Piece vol.1- 71,185 w/omnibus 1- 100,278
D.Gray Man vol.1- 67,222
Dragon Ball Z vol.1- 67,097 w/VIZBIG 1- 91,895
Tokyo Ghoul #1- 50,541
Azumanga Daioh vol.1- 43,087 w/omnibus - 67,694
Bakuman vol.1- 35,383
Yotsuba& vol.1- 34,624
Deadman Wonderland vol.1- 33,064
Rosario Vampire Season 2 vol.1- 30,451
One Punch Man #1- 28,371
Highschool of the Dead vol.1- 21,943
Monster Musume vol.1- 20,230
Air Gear vol.1- 20,011
Assassination Classroom #1- 18,532
Nisekoi vol.1- 16,359
UNOFFICIAL HATSUNE MIX- 15,822
HxH vol.1- 14,421
Seraph of the End #1- 13,072
Food Wars #1- 12,310
Gintama vol.1- 12,034
Yu Yu Hakusho vol.1- 11,118
Nausicaa of valley- 9,609

*cut off 9,500

Other popular series

Toriko - no volume has ever made an appearance
Reborn vol.2- 5,099
This is during all those years. Not yearly during those times. Meaning that Naruto Volume 1 in 13 years sold in average 34,116 copies per year(w/omnibus)
 
Last edited:

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
France, the biggest manga market in the Occident


This is during all those years. Not early during those times. Meaning that Naruto Volume 1 in 13 years sold in average 34,116 copies per year(w/omnibus)
I was just proving your point, it clearly says 2003 - 2015
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
When we enter in discussion mode we think that every post is against us. I also have this problem. :derp
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I was just proving your point, it clearly says 2003 - 2015
Sorry, you should have said that in there. Not just posted the data.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I know that and it feels strange since the beginning, I just commented now. lol
I follow this since before Shokugeki even comes to magazine and despite the drop in sales, Toriko and Gintama still kept its position for quite some time, only after Haikyuu, Nisekoi, Shokugeki and stuff that they started to lose its position in the magazine. 3~4 years ago they seemed untouchable, that's why I said that it is strange seeing them in such position.
It is not true AT ALL that every old manga is destined to have decreases in its sales. We know very well the reasons for this.
I hope that Shokugeki no Soma doesn't fall into this category.
That isn't strange. You correlated their downfall to them losing SnS but in reality they never were above SnS to begin with. Not so sure about Gintama but I believe it dropped a lot for "quite some time" and Toriko completely fell off the top 30 lists once the anime was gone. (even in 2013 we seen Toriko's decline)

3~4 years ago they were barely in the top 10 or 15 so how were they untouchable? Yes, not all old manga are destined to decline but most products do decline, especially near their end. Take a look at a product life cycle chart, it doesnt apply to every series since there's big hits that are an exception but I don't see SnS being one of those exception. The writing for SnS has been very stale and it felt like a chore to read (I heard it's been picking up with the recent chapters) so what's not to say it won't happen again? It's just my opinion that SnS will fall in sales eventually again.
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Long running shonens in general lose steam over time but colossal decline in sales like Bleach don't happen too often I believe. OP sold roughly 1.8 mil less (14.1 mil to 12.3 mil) in commercial from the Oricon sales count from 2015 compared to 2016 . Still was over 12 mill in sales. Is that considered a huge loss in popularity (no)? Is sales the best and only method of seeing if something is declining in the story?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That isn't strange. You correlated their downfall to them losing SnS but in reality they never were above SnS to begin with. Not so sure about Gintama but I believe it dropped a lot for "quite some time" and Toriko completely fell off the top 30 lists once the anime was gone. (even in 2013 we seen Toriko's decline.
I remember clearly I rooting for Shokugeki no Soma (and Nisekoi at that time) to surpass Gintama and Bleach (I think Toriko was a easy one) in sales, so no, it was not that smooth, even less "always".
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Long running shonens in general lose steam over time but colossal decline in sales like Bleach don't happen too often I believe. OP sold roughly 1.8 mil less (14.1 mil to 12.3 mil) in commercial from the Oricon sales count from 2015 compared to 2016 . Still was over 12 mill in sales. Is that considered a huge loss in popularity (no)? Is sales the best and only method of seeing if something is declining in the story?
I have yet to confirm this information, but it seems that One Piece had less volumes last year because Oda is taking a break every month, so its sales decreased, but it was not because it fell.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I have yet to confirm this information, but it seems that One Piece had less volumes last year because Oda is taking a break every month, so its sales decreased, but it was not because it fell.
this makes a lot sense, still the Japanese viewers have weird likes/dislikes, wish there was another way to tell declines besides sales and TOC rankings but I guess it's the only method
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
I remember clearly I rooting for Shokugeki no Soma (and Nisekoi at that time) to surpass Gintama and Bleach (I think Toriko was a easy one) in sales, so no, it was not that smooth, even less "always".
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I have yet to confirm this information, but it seems that One Piece had less volumes last year because Oda is taking a break every month, so its sales decreased, but it was not because it fell.
Is it Shokugeki a bit more niche than Bleach and Gintama?

I wouldn't imagine being a broader brush than those two
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
One Piece vol. 76, the highest selling of 2015's volumes sold 3,185,018 copies in a year. Vol. 80 (2016's highest selling vol) sold 2,981,494 copies in the same amount of time.
Both were released in the same month, one day apart (Dec 27, 2014 and Dec 28, 2015). So One Piece did have a drop somewhat.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I remember clearly I rooting for Shokugeki no Soma (and Nisekoi at that time) to surpass Gintama and Bleach (I think Toriko was a easy one) in sales, so no, it was not that smooth, even less "always".
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I have yet to confirm this information, but it seems that One Piece had less volumes last year because Oda is taking a break every month, so its sales decreased, but it was not because it fell.
Leave Bleach out of this. SnS was peaking near 500~550k per volume in the year of anime release. Toriko couldn't pass 500k per volume in a given year, ever. Neither did Gintama during SnS serialization. Gintama was selling more or less what Toriko was doing during Toriko's anime run time (2011-2014), however, it did surpass the 500k mark with some of it's volumes. 2009 it did peak near 600k. Anyways, point is that, SNS was always selling more than Toriko/Gintama during it's serialization (post-anime, I should make it clear I'm talking about after the anime debut obviously).

*Even in 2014, SnS sold more than Gintama & Toriko per volume.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Tried reading World's End Harem, but I can't. The MC is just too annoying for me.

"I can't sleep with these woman and SAVE HUMANITY, because I'm commited to my old girlfriend".

The main things I dislike from Ecchi and Harem is when the MC just refuses to act like 99% of guys would do in said situations
 

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Leave Bleach out of this. SnS was peaking near 500~550k per volume in the year of anime release. Toriko couldn't pass 500k per volume in a given year, ever. Neither did Gintama during SnS serialization. Gintama was selling more or less what Toriko was doing during Toriko's anime run time (2011-2014), however, it did surpass the 500k mark with some of it's volumes. 2009 it did peak near 600k. Anyways, point is that, SNS was always selling more than Toriko/Gintama during it's serialization (post-anime, I should make it clear I'm talking about after the anime debut obviously).

*Even in 2014, SnS sold more than Gintama & Toriko per volume.
Gintama 1-18, 16 million
SnS 1-18, 9 million

Pretty big gap
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kaito (author of Cross Manage and Buddy Strike) is going to start a new series, called Ao no Flag, in Shounen Jump+.

RIP Shonen Sunday speculations
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
New Kaito (author of Cross Manage and Buddy Strike) is going to start a new series, called Ao no Flag, in Shounen Jump+.
1st volume will be out april 4.
 

Inumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
412
Reaction score
285
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
I'm happy Kaito is back. I hope it's a new sport series with girls, Cross Manage was awesome.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The main things I dislike from Ecchi and Harem is when the MC just refuses to act like 99% of guys would do in said situations
true but idk I kinda respect him even though he's soft sorta. Erisa is his bae so he's holding out to have sex with her. This manga is backwards in the fact that the usually piece of shit character (one of the 5 males with the glasses) is actually doing the right thing to save humanity. If Suou turns out to be you-know-who then that sex scene will be worth it cause Suou is the best girl
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Leave Bleach out of this. SnS was peaking near 500~550k per volume in the year of anime release. Toriko couldn't pass 500k per volume in a given year, ever. Neither did Gintama during SnS serialization. Gintama was selling more or less what Toriko was doing during Toriko's anime run time (2011-2014), however, it did surpass the 500k mark with some of it's volumes. 2009 it did peak near 600k. Anyways, point is that, SNS was always selling more than Toriko/Gintama during it's serialization (post-anime, I should make it clear I'm talking about after the anime debut obviously).

*Even in 2014, SnS sold more than Gintama & Toriko per volume.
Then it was not always.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top