Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Kubo just got married a little while back, and he admitted that he was ill for most of the final arc. I imagine he's going to rest for some time before even thinking about returning.
If I remember well, it wasn't during the last arc, but the Arrancar.

You're talking of the story about the letter, right? The time that he was sick and received that letter isn't directly related, in time, that he ended the series like he wanted.
He never said how his condition went in the 5 or 4 years later. I can't see a person with the same strong sickness for years while still working.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It should be Rock Lee SD since it's a Naruto spin off and even got an anime, but I dont have the numbers on me
Isn't it dragon ball super?

I'm assuming that depends of the mangaka, the series that he/she wants to do, how their previous works went, who the mangaka is/was.

Again I don't care who put him there or if he chose this himself. It's dumb.

And yeah, I don't know if he's a millionaire but since Toriko is one of the best selling manga of all time, I don't think that he is in need of money right now. But yeah, kwowing Shima he could have spend it all with underaged girls.
It's his choice...he had two successful series and I don't see why he couldn't go back to WSJ. Why is gag so bad? Have you read Takeshi? It could switch to a battle series later on.

I don't think he's millionaire? Toriko isn't one of the best selling manga of all time lmfao. Last update it got in sales was like 20 million and that was at volume 29/30. He isnt a pedo...that's just false accusations...who knows if the girl lied about her age online. He spent like only 2 days in prison.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seeing Shima come back makes me really want Kubo returning as well. I would love to see a new, fresh series by him. I have Tamura for now at least.
Not a gag manga please.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Dragon Ball Super is in V Jump I think, that's usually where the adaptions go.

Also please don't start a paedo debate here.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If I remember well, it wasn't during the last arc, but the Arrancar.

You're talking of the story about the letter, right? The time that he was sick and received that letter isn't directly related, in time, that he ended the series like he wanted.
He never said how his condition went in the 5 or 4 years later. I can't see a person with the same strong sickness for years while still working.
IIRC, he said after the anniversary of Bleach, he was constantly getting sick repeatedly. And with the way the series was obviously rushed at the end, that's not all that unbelievable.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Isn't it dragon ball super?



It's his choice...he had two successful series and I don't see why he couldn't go back to WSJ. Why is gag so bad? Have you read Takeshi? It could switch to a battle series later on.

I don't think he's millionaire? Toriko isn't one of the best selling manga of all time lmfao. Last update it got in sales was like 20 million and that was at volume 29/30. He isnt a pedo...that's just false accusations...who knows if the girl lied about her age online. He spent like only 2 days in prison.
20 Million copies * 450 yen * 10% royalties = 900,000,000 Yen (=) 7,967,700 Million dollars

Now try to add it with Merchandise royalties + Anime royalties + Adds royalties + Disk Royalties + Movie money + per page money + Annual Salary. Yep, he obviously is a Millionaire. Unless if he is stupid and spent million of dollars in stuff that doesn't even have worth.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Toriko isn't among one of the best sellers ever. At least not in the top 50 or top 100
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's in the top 150 according to wikipedia's list.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Isn't it dragon ball super?
It's his choice...he had two successful series and I don't see why he couldn't go back to WSJ. Why is gag so bad? Have you read Takeshi? It could switch to a battle series later on.
I don't think he's millionaire? Toriko isn't one of the best selling manga of all time lmfao. Last update it got in sales was like 20 million and that was at volume 29/30. He isnt a pedo...that's just false accusations...who knows if the girl lied about her age online. He spent like only 2 days in prison.
No, Dragon Ball Super is V Jump. And I said I don't know, not "don't think".

Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Toriko isn't among one of the best sellers ever. At least not in the top 50 or top 100
Toriko is one of the best selling manga of all time. More than 20 million copies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Here we fucking go...

20 Million copies * 450 yen * 10% royalties = 900,000,000 Yen (=) 7,967,700 Million dollars

Now try to add it with Merchandise sales + Anime royalties + Adds royalties + Disk Royalties + Movie money + per page money + Annual Salary. Yep, he obviously is a Millionaire. Unless if he is stupid and spent million of dollars in stuff that doesn't even have worth.
What about assistants? How is their share like? Is that 10% royalties an estimate?

Toriko anime rarely sold much at all? It just got high TV ratings. I was saying not millionaire per year. Ofc everything he earned from Toriko is well over a million. He definitely wasn't making a million after anime end.
Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Toriko isn't among one of the best sellers ever. At least not in the top 50 or top 100
No, you're right. Toriko recent update was in 2014, near the time where anime ended. I doubt it's even at 25 million at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
No, Dragon Ball Super is V Jump. And I said I don't know, not "don't think".



Toriko is one of the best selling manga of all time. More than 20 million copies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
Dragon Ball SD?*

It's at the bottom of the list lol.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It doesn't matter if it's in the bottom lol... I don't know the numbers of Dragon Ball SD... It's possible... But I don't think so. Rock Lee SD used to sell a lot (for a saikyou jump series)
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The thing about Toriko's anime that a lot of people didn't realize was that the toy sales at one point were ridiculously high. I remember seeing a press release PDF years ago in regards to the best selling bandai namco (IIRC?) properties, and the Toriko toys were listed. Just off toys alone, it made them over 20 million dollars, IIRC. The toys were making them more money than the volume and DVD sales, lol.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It doesn't matter if it's in the bottom lol... I don't know the numbers of Dragon Ball SD... Could it be... But I don't think so. Rock Lee SD used to sell a lot (for a saikyou jump series)
I dont know...the way you made it sound like that its high up there. I don't think it's "one of the best selling manga", that's more appropriate if it was in the top 30 or something.

The thing about Toriko's anime that a lot of people didn't realize was that the toy sales at one point were ridiculously high. I remember seeing a press release PDF years ago in regards to the best selling bandai namco (IIRC?) properties, and the Toriko toys were listed. Just off toys alone, it made them over 20 million dollars, IIRC. The toys were making them more money than the volume and DVD sales, lol.
It had high merch. sales but they could've made a Toriko cafe (not sure if they did or not). It could be lucrative xD

Btw, the anime advertised the some of the merch. I believe. So yeah showing it a good time slot is going to score some great sales. The DVD sales weren't much tbh.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Jump Saikyō most success ongoing series ;
Koro-sensei Q ( has anime )
Majin Bone (has anime)
Dragon Ball SD
One Piece Party
Uchiha Sasuke no Sharingan Den
Circulation 183,334 in (2013) more than ultra jump at that time, i couldn't find new data.....
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Toriko could've been at low/mid 30M if it was adapted better and/or by different studio. That director they had for the anime made some lousy mistakes and even watching the anime it left out some/most of the gags/world building.

It would've made a great Trigger show tbvh.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Jump Saikyō most success ongoing series ;
Koro-sensei Q ( has anime )
Majin Bone (has anime)
Dragon Ball SD
One Piece Party
Uchiha Sasuke no Sharingan Den
Circulation 183,334 in (2013) more than ultra jump at that time, i couldn't find new data.....
So pretty much all spin offs of successfull jump manga? Nice...

"Poor" Shimabukuro.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
So anyone is checking Demon´s Plan and Ole Golazo´s latest chapters? Demon´s Plan is getting better reception on reddit with the latest fight
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
So anyone is checking Demon´s Plan and Ole Golazo´s latest chapters? Demon´s Plan is getting better reception on reddit with the latest fight
Not in the ranking it isn't though. Glad Stream isn't dropping it so I'll let it rack up and binge until it gets dropped.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
What about assistants? How is their share like? Is that 10% royalties an estimate?

Toriko anime rarely sold much at all? It just got high TV ratings. I was saying not millionaire per year. Ofc everything he earned from Toriko is well over a million. He definitely wasn't making a million after anime end.

No, you're right. Toriko recent update was in 2014, near the time where anime ended. I doubt it's even at 25 million at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Dragon Ball SD?*

It's at the bottom of the list lol.
Assistants are like employee, they don't get royalties. Remember, mangaka get pay to draw in the magazine as well. But after paying all the expense (assistants, paper and ink if go tradition path), they left with nothing. So, their primary income is ROYALTIES sale.

The 10% is an estimate, but a good estimate. Some higher veteran may get better royalties (like 15% for Oda,Togashi, etc..)

An old post about Oda's income in 2010 http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...zine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen . It's a good start~

Here's another one http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...s-averaged-70-million-yen-in-volume-royalties published in 2011.

One thing to keep in mind, mangaka get royalties per volume PRINTED, not sold.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top