Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There was a decrease of 200,000 magazines right after Naruto ended (Naruto sold 5-6x time that).
and around ~50,000 when Bleach ended.

can't find sources, will edit when I do. There was a chart somewhere in here.
Thank you, this is an important information. We can build up a database with that stuff.

One Piece is still waaay bigger than Naruto or Bleach... And judging by all the other series combined (excluding gintama and hiatus x hiatus) I dont think the number of readers of them are that huge...

This is another reason why I think people in Japan buy jump to read one piece and one or another manga...
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Being someone who typically marathon through a series I've found that some series are actually better done that way then reading them weekly. Has anyone else come to that conclusion that some series are better as a straight through read rather then weekly?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Being someone who typically marathon through a series I've found that some series are actually better done that way then reading them weekly. Has anyone else come to that conclusion that some series are better as a straight through read rather then weekly?
Sport Manga to me.

I read/watched Eyeshield21, Captain Tsubasa, Kuroko no Basuke after they've completed. Going to start Slam Dunk soon (another completed sport series)

Binged all 2 seasons of Haikyuu, then read up to the final match.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I don't know you but I enjoyed U19 first chapter much more than "We don't study"
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked it, no high hopes tho. He didn't do much that I think would capture readers and make them look forward to next chapter so I don't expect much.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
Toriko by no means was irrelevant and definitely the mangaka wasn't. What are you on about?



Why are people thinking he's serializing a manga in that magazine? It's a one shot.
Toriko never became irrelevant?

Not sure if you noted but his comments are pretty much trying to bash mine haha. I gave up on him already.
Not trying to bash you just need to be a respectable adult
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I liked it a lot, really looking forward to reading more. I haven't enjoyed a first WSJ chapter as much in a long time. I feel that there was a bit too much going on though.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
U19 was more interesting than I thought it would be. Reminds me a lot about my history studies in how the Nazi regime tried to influence children to be perfect for the future they had in mind for Germany.
Here the "bad guys" are seen generally as the "good guys", irrational but well-meaning, trying to do good for country, people and the future. Authority rules all, freedom is more limited than it is now, but you still got "some" freedom which our MC calls emotional mainstay, so as long as you could look ahead to a secure future with some happiness in it people accepted what the Adult party told them to do.

I'm trying to become a teacher so reading about a teacher punching a student and telling said student that it was for his best was quite shocking to me. And yet even that guy truly believes he does good and is doing his best to ensure that this students will become "responsible adults" and not "special snowflakes", like we hear so much nowadays in media and internet, mostly as an insult.

I liked how we start with a pretty much confirmed couple right away. Really hope though that 2nd love confession won't be dragged out forever, just make that SSS girl and that sewing loving guy a couple and let them fight the government for freedom and making your own experiences/decisions.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Kids Next Door from the X-Men mansion vs Nazis. Hopefully the mutant powers will be good, because the story isn't.
This. I can't see this thing surviving.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
What is fucking thinking the editor of U19? The first chapter is the best way to expose your work to the reader, you need to have a close first chapter , a beginning, development, end of a conflict and the begining of the journey.
Interesting or not, good or not, U19 feel like a heavy read, a children would love the premise and vote, but how it was handle make difficult to attract the kids.
I don't think it will survive.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
U19 is bad.

No hype moment or shock value to capture the readers.

The only positive thing I give the series is I hate the teacher, so that part the author does a good job of (sort of).
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Didn't care much for U19 at all.

I think the plot takes itself way too serious, which isn't good when the premise is a pretty ridiculous to begin with with.

Since this reminds me of Kids Next Door I think it would have benefited by going with a similar tone as KND.
In KND most of the adults weren't evil or even bad(main villain, Father is an exception). The adults were just an inconvenience on the kids having fun, and enforced typical everyday things that kids hate doing. They weren't cruel and dictating people like the adults in U19. I'd like it a lot more if it was a little self aware cheesy, and went a little goofier.


Also, I hate that MC's design
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
U19 was an enjoyable read for the main characters (the kids), but man, is that plot over the top and ridiculous.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
U19 as a concept isn't the best. It's execution was an okay to fairly well done one it's not the greatest but it's not terrible. If it does survive it's first actual ranking it could go in an interesting route later on down the line and be a rather successful series, however I can see a few issues popping up that could cause some major problems not only for the author but also Jump: one of the problems being if it gets big with younger children then Jump may get hit with several complaints from parents(I'm not sure why I think that problem will come up but it's always something to be mindful of), and the second problem it could have is the story getting stale really fast if it goes on for to long.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Enjoyed chapter 2 of We Can't Study
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top