Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
The rankings this week are certainly interesting Black Clover is ranked 1st and U19 is in a pretty decent spot to be unofficially ranked. Not trying to sound like a hater of MHA but I was expecting it to actually be lower on the TOC around 4th maybe 5th (That maybe because I'm one of the few who think that the fight between Deku and Bakugo wasn't a necessary thing the author had to do from a story telling prospective). I haven't read HZ but it's ranking seems alot lower then it usually is isn't it did something happen in the story to warrant it?
Stop.
Placement pre ranking does not matter.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Credit to Kaizou_10

Shounen Jump Issue 13:

Harapeko no Marie (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
Black Clover
Boku no Hero Academia
Boruto (CP)
Yakusoku no Neverland
Poro no Ryuugaku-ki (CP)
Haikyuu!!
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Samon-kun wa Summoner (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
U19
Shokugeki no Souma
Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
Spring Weapon Number One
Hinomaru Zumou
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Gintama
Ole Golazo (End)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

One Piece (Absent)

Shounen Jump Issue 14:
Cover, Lead CP: Dr. Stone (New Series)
CP: Isobe Isobee Monogatari, Samon-kun wa Summoner, Harapeko no Marie
Oh wow, I didn't expect Yuragi's chapter to be that high up. A welcome surprise indeed.
Didn't expect SnS to drop again though.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Oh wow, I didn't expect Yuragi's chapter to be that high up. A welcome surprise indeed.
Didn't expect SnS to drop again though.
For 197, part 3 of Jou's flashback.

I guess the audience didn't like Jouichirou chickening out of BLUE.

The drop isn't too bad considering what came before it.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't read much sports manga, but HZ is a damn good manga if I do say so. I think it'll have a satisfying ending, and I look forward to looking back on the series in good spirits.
From JUMP I can recommend Eyeshield 21, Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk, Kuroko and Haikyuu. HZ is fine but not at the same level of these.


It's kinda of topic but if you want to read good sports manga from other magazines:
Hajime no Ippo (the best, period with the best character of all manga in the history and it's not even the MC. Also period). Yowamushi Pedal (the pacing of this is AMAZING, the anime is even better)
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well Ive read Haikyu and KNB, and I personally like HZ way more than both. Slam Dunk is on my to-read list though.
Well I think that the anime give me a better perspective of both. It's funny because Slam Dunk caused the opposite to me. The manga is soo much better (even not animating the whole thing). But with Kuroko and Haikyuu it's just impossible to not like the animations.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
Pretty much they are not.

Chapter 90 received a color page... Not sure if the editors chose to put it first or it was the 91 ranked... Also, next week BC will have it's 100th chapter.

Not bad for a flop huh? :D
Wait are you talking about Shonen Jump's Black Clover? The Black Clover that has less copies in print than Saiki at volume 10? Yup that is a total hit it's crazy how it isn't a flop
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Hmm, goodbye Spring Weapon I guess. Jump been throwing us curveballs. Samon and Isobe are safe.

From JUMP I can recommend Eyeshield 21, Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk, Kuroko and Haikyuu. HZ is fine but not at the same level of these.


It's kinda of topic but if you want to read good sports manga from other magazines:
Hajime no Ippo (the best, period with the best character of all manga in the history and it's not even the MC. Also period). Yowamushi Pedal (the pacing of this is AMAZING, the anime is even better)
Great list. I'd add these two from Shounen Mag too
Ace of Diamond and Baby Steps.
Also been meaning to watch Prince of Tennis for the insanity.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I wonder what Hungry Marie's secret is?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I haven't read HZ but it's ranking seems alot lower then it usually is isn't it did something happen in the story to warrant it?
Nah, it's just not that popular. I've heard some theories way back when that maybe the manga-reading/buying Japanese public isn't that into "traditional" Japanese culture, which Sumo falls under. Doubt that explains away the unpopularity but potentially a factor.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling when Black Clover ranks higher than My Hero Academia. :)
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Just my opinion, but i think this Cancellation round is probably over with Ole Golazo ending....
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
High performance of BLack Clover gives me a purpose in life. It feels like my baby. Im glad its recognized for what it is.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Stop.
Placement pre ranking does not matter.
If placement per ranking does not matter then why is it such a big deal when certain series scrap the bottom of the barrel so to say or when it peaks at the top?

The whole point of the placement is for a series which is considered popular to read, which is voted on by majority rule by the readers of the magazine itself, more publicity and as a possible way attract more readers to the magazine since it was picked by readers majority vote. This also gives you an incite to how the public view each series week to week, which explains why the placements move as often as they do it's because the readers vote on which chapters that week where considered the best. Then the editors compile the said votes into a majority ruling which determines where a series falls where it does on the TOC the following week.Though what I said is completely subjective and anyone is free to believe how things work in the end and also new series that aren't officially ranked yet are exempt to what I said seeing as they don't get officially ranked by readers right off the bat.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
This chapter (92) ranking doesnt matter , all I care for is 94 I hope it gets to bottom 5.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If placement per ranking does not matter then why is it such a big deal when certain series scrap the bottom of the barrel so to say or when it peaks at the top?

The whole point of the placement is for a series which is considered popular to read, which is voted on by majority rule by the readers of the magazine itself, more publicity and as a possible way attract more readers to the magazine since it was picked by readers majority vote. This also gives you an incite to how the public view each series week to week, which explains why the placements move as often as they do it's because the readers vote on which chapters that week where considered the best. Then the editors compile the said votes into a majority ruling which determines where a series falls where it does on the TOC the following week.Though what I said is completely subjective and anyone is free to believe how things work in the end and also new series that aren't officially ranked yet are exempt to what I said seeing as they don't get officially ranked by readers right off the bat.
I personally think rankings are nowhere near as important as the majority of the internet has convinced themselves they are, but new series are just spread out through the magazine for the first few weeks. If they're all put together then people are likely to just skip that whole section of the magazine, spreading them out makes it more likely any one of them will be next to a series someone's already reading and might catch their interest.
This applies to established series too by the way, they try to not have a huge section of the magazine be all action or all gag or whatever. Survey results are not the only thing that goes into this, they're allowed to move stuff around however they want.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
If placement per ranking does not matter then why is it such a big deal when certain series scrap the bottom of the barrel so to say or when it peaks at the top?

The whole point of the placement is for a series which is considered popular to read, which is voted on by majority rule by the readers of the magazine itself, more publicity and as a possible way attract more readers to the magazine since it was picked by readers majority vote. This also gives you an incite to how the public view each series week to week, which explains why the placements move as often as they do it's because the readers vote on which chapters that week where considered the best. Then the editors compile the said votes into a majority ruling which determines where a series falls where it does on the TOC the following week.Though what I said is completely subjective and anyone is free to believe how things work in the end and also new series that aren't officially ranked yet are exempt to what I said seeing as they don't get officially ranked by readers right off the bat.
Are you fucking serious right now?
I have been following the TOC for half a decade,
Placement for a series pre ranking, means absolutely nothing.
Tons of series have had had high placements pre ranking only to be cancelled and vice versa.
Pick your battles dude.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I personally think rankings are nowhere near as important as the majority of the internet has convinced themselves they are, but new series are just spread out through the magazine for the first few weeks. If they're all put together then people are likely to just skip that whole section of the magazine, spreading them out makes it more likely any one of them will be next to a series someone's already reading and might catch their interest.
This applies to established series too by the way, they try to not have a huge section of the magazine be all action or all gag or whatever. Survey results are not the only thing that goes into this, they're allowed to move stuff around however they want.
lol sorry if it sounded like I thought the rankings where that important I wasn't trying to come across that way. I was just trying to say that they are important but only if you put certain value in a series. Personally I couldn't care less if something is at the top or at the bottom I read the magazine in which ever order I decide according to how I feel that week, though it does urk me that some people think that a series doesn't deserve where it ends up even if its voted as a weekly best of the best contest just because they don't particularly like that series at all.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
Are you fucking serious right now?
I have been following the TOC for half a decade,
Placement for a series pre ranking, means absolutely nothing.
Tons of series have had had high placements pre ranking only to be cancelled and vice versa.
Pick your battles dude.
Uncle in Japan > 5 Years
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are you fucking serious right now?
I have been following the TOC for half a decade,
Placement for a series pre ranking, means absolutely nothing.
Tons of series have had had high placements pre ranking only to be cancelled and vice versa.
Pick your battles dude.
I did say that was my own subjective thoughts on it at the end and that it was in your own opinion to agree or disagree
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top