Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ok, this manga is beyond bizarre. Nothing makes sense and... I loved it! Welcome back Tamura.

Turn our minds into toothpaste again, plz.

I'm sorry but none of the 3 rookies are even in the same level of this.
 
Last edited:

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I really liked Hungry Marie. As with Beelzebub, the humour was up my alley. I like the characters already too. Shame that the designs look so similar to Beelzebub characters though. So far it's my second favourite of the new series.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I enjoyed the first chapter, but I feel like this might be too weird for Jump. Can't see a lot of ppl latching on to this. But if it handles it's romance well I'd rather see it stay over We Never Learn
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Hungry Marie
Good

  • Only the panelling. Not much elements on the panels, and it reads easily.
Mixed
  • The color pages look ok, they feel like if it was a mystery work, but is not that pleasant to look at.
Bad
  • The art is pretty unpleasant. These great contrasts of black and white can only work in a horror manga, and even then they are poorly implemented here.

  • The character designs are truly boring. They don´t enhance the comedy, nor there are interesting facial expressions.

  • Whatever comedy is it here, it´s mostly cliche, with some lazy 4th wall break jokes.

  • The characters are poorly written, mostly underdeveloped. And whatever story there is, it confused me a little bit. Not even the plot twists were shocking.
We Never Learn presented an interesting MC well in its first chapter. This and Poro set up their premises well in their first chapter, and have better character designs. And U19 has better facial expressions, or character desings you can laugh at. Being a veteran doesn´t mean that your next work is gonna be a success. That´s why I didn´t care much for the veterans in this Jump Manga Batch. I hope the next to series have better 1st chapters than this.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I liked Hungry Marie slightly more than Poro, but I don't think the gap between the two a THAT big, like some are saying.
I think Hungry Marie definitely had some better comedy. Both have likable characters and set up the premise well imo. I'd say Poro's character designs and artstyle is more unique and engaging.

I think both a definitely better than We Never Learn and U19
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Marie was pretty much what I expected from Tamura, definitely not for me but purest will undoubtedly love it regardless though I don't see it being a hit with readers considering the mild success of Beelzebub. Now let's see what Bouichi has for us next week.
I liked Hungry Marie slightly more than Poro, but I don't think the gap between the two a THAT big, like some are saying.
They liked Beelzebub so it wouldn't matter if Marie was actually bad because they were deadset on liking it because it was Tamura. It definitely better than U19 and We Never Learn but I think Poro is more charming in comparison.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Marie was pretty much what I expected from Tamura, definitely not for me but purest will undoubtedly love it regardless though I don't see it being a hit with readers considering the mild success of Beelzebub. Now let's see what Bouichi has for us next week.

They liked Beelzebub so it wouldn't matter if Marie was actually bad because they were deadset on licking it because it was Tamura. It definitely better than U19 and We Never Learn but I think Poro is more charming in comparison.
Yeah. I know some people genuinely love it, but I do feel like some people already predetermined that Hungry Marie was going to be the best in their heads the moment it was announced
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
From the start, when I saw Tamura coming back, I went in with the mindset that it was going to be my favourite. I still prefer Poro though. As Chocobar9 said, it's way more charming, which is something I like.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I liked what I read on Hungry Marie. Given the first color page I suspect that Taiga stays/becomes a girl whenever he is hungry thus the title. And it clearly said that the main focus won't be the Kung Fu in school fights (though we clearly will be getting those given the 3rd years already betting on Taiga whenever they have trouble) but his love story. And since it said so twice, once with him being male and once with him being female, the comedy will probably mostly work around the guys crushing on Taiga as pretty Marie and ofc him trying to woe Anna while probably other girls try to woe. The question is if Tamura can keep the romance part up and make it funny enough without taking the romance part down at the same time.
I found its first chapter better than the first chapter of U19 or Poro, for some reason I just couldn't get to like Poro it felt "meh" the whole time to me. :/
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
3 things:
  • If Hungry Marie is supposed to be a comedy, why does it leave hanging the mystery behind resurrecting Marie? If this is gonna be the source of comedy, I should know that already so when the jokes around it happen, I know what to laugh at. Poro set up the source of jokes well in its first chapter. This, however, is lazy mystery around it, and also lazy setup.
  • I think here, 7 out of 10 people hate rom-coms manga or romance manga because some stupid, unreasonable elitisim of "I don´t like them, so they´re bad".
  • How´s the reception of the other 3 mangas in Japan? Does anyone know it?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
3 things:
  • If Hungry Marie is supposed to be a comedy, why does it leave hanging the mystery behind resurrecting Marie? If this is gonna be the source of comedy, I should know that already so when the jokes around it happen, I know what to laugh at. Poro set up the source of jokes well in its first chapter. This, however, is lazy mystery around it, and also lazy setup.
  • I think here, 7 out of 10 people hate rom-coms manga or romance manga because some stupid, unreasonable elitisim of "I don´t like them, so they´re bad".
  • How´s the reception of the other 3 mangas in Japan? Does anyone know it?
I'm only basing this on Twitter searches and Twitter translation(it doesn't give very good translations but you can get the gist of what people are saying)

U19 - I've seen most saying that it has an interesting start, but haven't really seen many negative or positive words connected to it. i saw a lot a American users on Twitter like it though

Poro - a lot of people think Poro is cute and found it funny. Saw a few who didn't like it. Saw a lot of people pointing out how similar it is to Spring Weapon. But most Postive

Haven't looked up We Never Learn
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Welp. Not gonna lie, that chapter was pretty disappointing in my eyes. I didn't feel any sort of connection to the characters or sympathized with their motives, they were just sort of there. Character designs were meh, nothing really interesting about them and they mostly looked like Beelzebub characters with small redesigns. The plot was kind of hard to follow as well, and it seemed like Tamura tried to put too much exposition in this first chapter that made it drag on, especially the part after notOga is tied up before he's about to get sacrificed. So far, I really don't see this surviving very long, and I can't say I'm gonna miss this when it dies.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Marie has definitely had the best first chapter of the bunch imo. U19 was alright, We Never Learn as well. Poro and Marie were better.

Poro did a good job of world building and setting the stage, but his interactions with his friend especially felt incredibly meh and uninteresting. Aside Poro himself and the demon world, the rest really wasn't all that great. The jokes didn't hit that hard either.

Marie was kind of confusing, but it was funny and better paced than the rest. The others felt like info dumps needing to explain everything about the world and characters in the first chapter, but Marie ignored that and just did what it had to. Made it more confusing, but I think it will pay off. It flowed better and was a much easier read imo.

Poro wins for world. Marie wins for characters. U19 wins for premise, but its executed poorly. We Never Learn is just there being a romcom.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nothing is really interesting to me tbh

We never learn - just bland and uninteresting
U19 - I liked the premise but the executions a bit off
Poro - not into the shotacon stuff, wasn't bad
Marie - wasn't all that funny tbh, Tamura should've did more with the romance. Not really into gender benders either

Kinda disappointed. But I'm mostly hyped for Dr Stone anyways, if that's disappointing then I'll just off myself :(. After that is a golf manga so... yeah
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
3 things:
  • If Hungry Marie is supposed to be a comedy, why does it leave hanging the mystery behind resurrecting Marie? If this is gonna be the source of comedy, I should know that already so when the jokes around it happen, I know what to laugh at. Poro set up the source of jokes well in its first chapter. This, however, is lazy mystery around it, and also lazy setup.
  • I think here, 7 out of 10 people hate rom-coms manga or romance manga because some stupid, unreasonable elitisim of "I don´t like them, so they´re bad".
  • How´s the reception of the other 3 mangas in Japan? Does anyone know it?
1 - Because that way you'll be looking forward to the next chapter.
2 - No, it's because JUMP is not a magazine for romcoms only. They have to have another subgerence like ecchi, harem or any kind of fanservice, otherwise it won't survive. There's no series without this on JUMP's history that survived.
3 - Pretty random. Still it does not matter the reception of people that comment on 2ch or whatever. It's not always the same people that votes.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Hoping Kei Monri's Secret Organization D one shot is serialized. I liked the art and designs
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
My impression on Hungry Marie first chapter :
BAD
- Every character feels like has been taken out from Beelzebub....
- Didn't bring anything new, the concept is already over used.
- The pace is bit slow.
- Nothing interesting(characters,story,plot) .
- Wasn't funny at all.
GOOD
- The Art is good.
OVERALL
...meh... i will wait for more chapters, i don't wanna judge the series yet...but still disappointed.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
Can't wait for Dr.Stone to make Demon's Plan look like Hunter X Hunter
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It seems that the new batch of mangas, that have been ran, were ultimately duds this round from the way the comments seem to be going here, and the last batch of new manga's themselves where duds as well seeing as most of them where axed rather quickly. It seems that Jump is experiencing a low period similar to the early to mid 90's in that not much really stands out aside from the current money makers which is actually pretty sad from a business stand-point.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It seems that the new batch of mangas, that have been ran, were ultimately duds this round from the way the comments seem to be going here, and the last batch of new manga's themselves where duds as well seeing as most of them where axed rather quickly. It seems that Jump is experiencing a low period similar to the early to mid 90's in that not much really stands out aside from the current money makers which is actually pretty sad from a business stand-point.
I think a couple will make it. And I don't think any are particularly bad. U19 is okay. But the other 3 were pretty good. Just Nothing wowd me. To me, the best Jump first chapters in recent years have been MHA and Neverland.
I can see Poro and Marie potentially surviving. But we still have the last two series. I don't think there's anyway at least 1 of doesn't survive
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top