Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dr. Stone is potentially intriguing but the lack of technology will probably hurt it. Also I cant help but imagine its the Green Worldz of shonen jump. Fully exppecting stone golems and other entities.
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
Is it wrong that I laughed at Donald Trump being turned to stone in Dr. Stone?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Is it wrong that I laughed at Donald Trump being turned to stone in Dr. Stone?
The new "trend" in the manga world is to do this.

Obata on this month's Platinum End did the same:

(this is no spoiler, don't worry mods)

 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not sure how to feel about Dr.Stone yet. Artwork was great and the scene where the world turns to stone was well done. Though it gets a little ridiculous when get the tsunami part. Have to see where these next two chapters end up. Its the most interesting out of the new batch though.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
A question I have for the people here, which of the new series do you think would stand out the most to people skimming through them to get to their favourites?

Something I noticed about the recent successful series, Samon, Kimetsu, and Neverland all have fairly unique art that would stand out if you're just flipping through the pages and Yuragi has lots of fanservice and giant boobs to catch the reader's eye, while the recent failures have all been pretty generic-looking from an art perspective.

Dr Stone of course stands out with all the stone people but I'm not sure about any of the others, all I can really think of in terms of memorable art is some of the adults' faces in U19.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Not sure how to feel about Dr.Stone yet. Artwork was great and the scene where the world turns to stone was well done. Though it gets a little ridiculous when get the tsunami part. Have to see where these next two chapters end up. Its the most interesting out of the new batch though.
OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!! OVERHYPE!!!!

This is the only thing I see about this manga and Hungry Marie, with the latter being garbage. Good thing I read it with low expectations. It has veterans, yes. But that means nothing when you can´t offer good content(right, Nobuhiro Watsuki?)
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A question I have for the people here, which of the new series do you think would stands out the most to people skimming through them to get to their favourites?

Something I noticed about the recent successful series, Samon, Kimetsu, and Neverland all have fairly unique art that would stand out if you're just flipping through the pages and Yuragi has lots of fanservice and giant boobs to catch the reader's eye, while the recent failures have all been pretty generic-looking from an art perspective.

Dr Stone of course stands out with all the stone people but I'm not sure about any of the others, all I can really think of in terms of memorable art is some of the adults' faces in U19.
The faces in Samon.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I mean from the current batch.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Poro's design stands out the most to me. Although the setting is pretty standard.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Poro's design is just a pale Deku.
If we look at Genjui Toteku as well its obvious that the mangaka is incapable of coming up with a MC design that isn't just a rip off another Jump character.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I would say Poro, Dr.Stone and U19 has the most unique art style and designs.(although I don't really care much for U19's designs and art the artist definitely has his own style)
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I mean from the current batch.
Stone is the only one with adult looking characters
also Poro's sclera stands out a lot

Poro's design is just a pale Deku.
If we look at Genjui Toteku as well its obvious that the mangaka is incapable of coming up with a MC design that isn't just a rip off another Jump character.
I don't think Deku and Poro look a like, even their afro style is diffrent, Poro's hair is point and Deku's hair is fluffy
also his old onesot I posted and the old one Jagman posted doesn't look like any Jump's character I can think of
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The faces in Samon.
you think he draw that every week or he just have them saved as layer on ps to spam them in every chapter?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Stone is the only one with adult looking characters
also Poro's sclera stands out a lot



I don't think Deku and Poro look a like, even their afro style is diffrent, Poro's hair is point and Deku's hair is fluffy
also his old onesot I posted and the old one Jagman posted doesn't look like any Jump's character I can think of
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


you think he draw that every week or he just have them saved as layer on ps to spam them in every chapter?
GenjuiI Toteku's is a lightly modified Killua just as Poro is a lightly modified Deku.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
GenjuiI Toteku's is a lightly modified Killua just as Poro is a lightly modified Deku.
Eeeeh I would find it very hard to believe he referenced both of them.
Poro for example, has similar features as Deku, but otherwise look completely different. Poro has spiky hair and has a completely different hair pattern than Deku. And extremely thick eyebrows.

That one shot MC looks like he just drew a guy with bushy gray hair. The only real similarity he has with Killua is the gray hair. They don't really share any other key features
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
Weekly rankings

1. Haikyuu 25
3. Shokugeki no Souma 23
4. World Trigger 18
8. Black Clover 19
9. Kinnikuman 58
11. New Prince of Tennis 20
13. Twin Star Exorcists 11
16. Kimetsu no Yaiba 5
24. Kono Oto Tomare 14
37. Yuukoku no Moriarty 2
38. Kuroko no Basket Replace Plus 6
40. Fire Punch 4
42. Shokugeki no Souma L'etoile 4
44. Let's Haikyuu 4
48. Samon-kun wa Summoner 8
53. Karada Sagashi 12
60. Kemono Jihen 1
66. Korosensei Q! 2
107. Akuma no Memumemu-chan 2
122. Isobe Isobee Monogatari 13
228. Makui no Rease 1
435. Red Sprite 2

30位30850/50位19350/100位10400/200位5500/300位4000/400位3150/500位2500
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Poro is different from Deku in many ways... It is not only the hair that makes the character. XD
In personality they are even more different... Poro is a pacifists, but not a wimp like Deku... I completely agree with Nighteye in the latest chapters, after seeing so many characters more worthy of becoming All Might heir, Deku pales in comparison, principally in the latest chapters.
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
NEW 3/21 ジャンプ 約束のネバーランド 1、2 出水 ぽすか/白井 カイウ
NEW 3/21 ジャンプ 鬼滅の刃 1~5 吾峠 呼世晴

Neverland 1-2 and Kimetsu no Yaiba 1-5 reprints
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Go, Kimetsu!
Poro is different from Deku in many ways... It is not only the hair that makes the character. XD
In personality they are even more different... Poro is a pacifists, but not a wimp like Deku... I completely agree with Nighteye in the latest chapters, after seeing so many characters more worthy of becoming All Might heir, Deku pales in comparison, principally in the latest chapters.
I find that quite interesting. I like that every reader completely understands Nighteye. Of course to everybody except All Might, Mirio is definitely more worthy than Izuku. Again, kinda goes hand in hand with Overhaul telling Shigaraki that he's shit and that he should be the main villain instead.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
That's Neverland and Kimetsu's second reprint (third printing) right? Awesome if so. Great to see Kimetsu's new volume selling quite well. Looks like it got around 40k.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top