Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Probably Deathnote, Naruto and Dr Slump

There are so many to narrow it down, so one of each genre then :)
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I didn't really hate what happened in the MHA chapter this week it just felt like a missed opportunity that could've given Deku more development. I don't read Neverland but from what I've seen it's TOC rankings are sporadic, when it's not a reveal chapter it ranks low as from what I've been told, makes it seem like the magic it once had is starting to run out.
There really isn't anything that could have been done without dragging it out then people would just complain about him not getting over it, it was a cats out of the bag moment that the arc has been leading to since Mirio's introduction that everyone saw coming no real need to waste chapters on Deku angsting over being a silver medal where he has more pressing matters to deal with.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Let's just hope Mirio will be okay in the upcoming major arc that we're getting into!
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kuwabara losing his shit at Yusuke's funeral was pretty impactful
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
I just read that the author of Highschool of the Dead passed away and this got me thinking. Was there ever a time where an author or artist of a WSJ manga passed away while the manga was still ongoing?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
yeah, Play Ball author killed himself

he's Ashita no Joe mangaka brother

edit: ignore this post I was wrong
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
chapter 1 iirc

ch 2 is where he meets king enma
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What are you guys favorite Jump first chapter? Naruto first chap for me, really great
Much like everyone has stated Naruto (that first chapter was just so damn good), Death Note (Had the best hook introduction chapter in the magazine), Hokuto no Ken (Does a great job of laying down the foundation of the setting and introducing the lead character) Sexy Commando Gaiden (one of the funniest intro chapters in Jump). Off the top of may head, this is hard because Jump has a lot of good first chapters.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
yeah, Play Ball author killed himself

he's Ashita no Joe mangaka brother
Play ball end before he comited suicide.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Now to put a spin on this; What Jump series you like had a terrible first chapter? I'm going to go with Gintama.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
My Hero Academia for bad first chapter, Deku turned me off so much but literally got so much better after that and now he's one of my favorite characters. I watched episode wise but still the same
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Same here. I admired his drive and reasons for becoming the number 1 hero but his constant crying annoyed me. I only started liking him during the 1v1 tournament, and I loved his character during his fight against Shouto when he became full MADMAN. MADMAN Deku is my favorite stage of his character like his fight with muscle man Randy Savage.

Recently though it seems like his character has mellowed out a bit, almost as if his character is evolving, which is nice to see. It's not something commonly seen in shounen manga. I do hope we get to see more of MADMAN Deku soon because I really miss that part of his character.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Play ball end before he comited suicide.
you're right, I'm an idiot that doesn't check what people tell him

Now to put a spin on this; What Jump series you like had a terrible first chapter? I'm going to go with Gintama.
hmmhmmm, that's a hard question, first impressions are very important

I guess Soma first chapter was meh
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Madman Deku has been MIA since the Training Camp arc. I feel like we don't see him again for a loooonggg time, if at all.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Black Clover. The series is fine now but the 1st chapter was legit one of the worst I've ever read. It's first week pages is legit copy and paste from Naruto
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I don't think Gintama's was flat out terrible, but I did think it was fairly boring.

I do agree that Black Clover's was awful. I hadn't seen so much flak for a 1st chapter for as long as I can remember.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Madman Deku has been MIA since the Training Camp arc. I feel like we don't see him again for a loooonggg time, if at all.
Actually, Kamino Arc is Deku's Madman moment too, to be honest. Pulling off a crazy risky plan right from under the nose of the literal Devil is pretty madness.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Jojo part 1, the first chapter itself wasn't terrible, just the way Araki portraits Dio Brando as a huge jerk.

Jojo part 6, Araki went full bizarre.
 

Arcueid

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2016
Messages
253
Reaction score
430
Country
Turkey
When it comes to WSJ, it def was Naruto's first chapter. Just thinking about it makes me mad and sad seeing what happened to it..

Gintama and JoJo.. I was like wtf is this? It also took me awhile to keep reading both series, but i'm glad af i did.
Both one of the best out there and definitely a read you'll never regret.

Rest would be non shounen, since i'm not really the biggest fan of this genre.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top