Info 2017 Manga Awards Information Thread

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
You don't see Fairy Tail getting many nominations though (it doesn't deserve to be nominated in most areas this year imo). Neverland's what, first 20 or so chapters are all that can be considered for nominations, and my point in my previous post is that with just 20 chapters, does it really deserve to be nominated against other manga that have more than 100 chapters up and have kept their quality going for the most part throughout the series and more importantly the last year? I personally don't think 20 chapters is enough to really be enough to legitimately consider Neverland for much other than best new manga for what it's put out hence why I'd say it's riding on a fair bit of hype.
I... well there are certain points you made that I could contest but I won't. I'm just nominating one of my all-time favourite manga series for aspects of which I think it deserves such a nomination.
 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
You don't see Fairy Tail getting many nominations though (it doesn't deserve to be nominated in most areas this year imo). Neverland's what, first 20 or so chapters are all that can be considered for nominations, and my point in my previous post is that with just 20 chapters, does it really deserve to be nominated against other manga that have more than 100 chapters up and have kept their quality going for the most part throughout the series and more importantly the last year? I personally don't think 20 chapters is enough to really be enough to legitimately consider Neverland for much other than best new manga for what it's put out hence why I'd say it's riding on a fair bit of hype.
Well, when Im going to nominate something I usually think "what was what I enjoyed the most in 2016?"
In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with quantity, we have seen plenty of nominations of Berserk in a lot of categories (when Guts did nothing this last year and there were only 3 chapters in 2016) but this is because people enjoyed it. Like @randimari said above, this awards are about what people of this community liked the most and not about trends or what is "analytically correct".
 

Vici

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
3,413
Reaction score
16,901
Gender
Female
Country
Pyke
I can't help but feel like Yakusoko no Neverland is riding on a fair bit of hype in the manga awards and might have a chance of stealing some awards it possibly shouldn't get. While the story is good and the art is nice, I just question if something still so new is really all people have hyped it up to be so far. That's just my two cents on it though.


You know something is not right when Phil get so many nominations for Best Minor Male Character :wowsoBOB

Still, Neverland need to claim 6 awards for me to win the bet game
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,639
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Well, when Im going to nominate something I usually think "what was what I enjoyed the most in 2016?"
In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with quantity, we have seen plenty of nominations of Berserk in a lot of categories (when Guts did nothing this last year and there were only 3 chapters in 2016) but this is because people enjoyed it. Like @randimari said above, this awards are about what people of this community liked the most and not about trends or what is "analytically correct".
I do agree, quality is what really matters. I did bring Quantity into my point though because personally for me, 20 odd chapters of quality doesn't beat out another series that's been running the whole year and has been of a consistent and very good quality.



You know something is not right when Phil get so many nominations for Best Minor Male Character :wowsoBOB

Still, Neverland need to claim 6 awards for me to win the bet game
Yeah, I don't really get why Phil got so many nominations when all he's done is say "Emma" a lot. It's just my take on it though
As for the betting game, I need 6 from My Hero Academia to win so hopefully my 6 beats your 6 kek
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Neverland's hype is absolutely warranted, in my opinion. It's been phenomenal so far.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't really get why Phil got so many nominations when all he's done is say "Emma" a lot. It's just my take on it though
As for the betting game, I need 6 from My Hero Academia to win so hopefully my 6 beats your 6 kek
Lol to be honest bro I just voted for Phil to fill in the space so you might be on to something. I tried to vote FT and MHA for every single one of my nominations and I saw others vote for Phil and I just said might as well. My thoughts on Neverland is basically yours, I think it's cool but like alottttt on here love it and I haven't got to that point. It's different from regular shonen so maybe that's why it hasn't clicked for me yet. Like the art and Norman though
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Lol to be honest bro I just voted for Phil to fill in the space so you might be on to something. I tried to vote FT and MHA for every single one of my nominations and I saw others vote for Phil and I just said might as well. My thoughts on Neverland is basically yours, I think it's cool but like alottttt on here love it and I haven't got to that point. It's different from regular shonen so maybe that's why it hasn't clicked for me yet. Like the art and Norman though
You hit the nail right on the head in my case man. I love Neverland so much because I'm bored of average Shounen. This is a very unusual Shounen and I'm drawn to it just as I was drawn to SnK as soon as that started serializing too. That, and a combination of the Art, Plot and characters really makes it the manga for me. :)
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,071
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
Well Im the one who nominated Phil, and tbh, the relevancy of a character doesn't depend solely on the number of his/her interations/appearances, there's some characters that barely doesn't appear and still are relevant or charismatic (Shanks/dragon op for instance) It's obvious considering his exposure on color pages and extra pics of the volume thats this character has a certain importance. ♥

Also let's add a little salt to make it flavorous :derp

some for example have nominated Mira but has she even appeared in 2016 ?
and if she did except for fanservice purposes, what did she did ? at this rate let me tell you that in 6months Phil has much more relevancy in TpN plot than Mira in 10years serialization
(and don't get me wrong I like Mira ♥)

Nb : i'm just joking around, in case, so pliz don't be offended and don't take me seriously ;)
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
some for example have nominated Mira but has she even appeared in 2016 ?
and if she did except for fanservice purposes, what did she did ? at this rate let me tell you that in 6months Phil has much more relevancy in TpN plot than Mira in 10years serialization
(and don't get me wrong I like Mira ♥)

Nb : i'm just joking around, in case, so pliz don't be offended and don't take me seriously ;)
LMAO :rofltrue I like Mira too though but story wise she only fought swords and got rocked by Irene and August in 2016. I couldn't vote for her even if she was my fav, which is why I voted for Kagura cause she had some good glo up panels and battle scenes. But it's all preference, me personally if I don't want to choose and I see majority pick something and I agree or like it I'll just roll with it. Phil is getting love cause he's black (or is he tan?) >>> but honestly don't know either why he's being chosen
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Phil is getting love cause he's black (or is he tan?) >>> but honestly don't know either why he's being chosen
It's his hinted importance and, if I'm honest, the Catface. :amuse
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,071
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall


Dame, Dough-kun ! nothing to do with tan/color or stuff :facepalm
Nominate him because Phil is uber cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute ♥♥
and also very smart (he's the one who bla bla .... and bla bla
you know, and considering all the foreshadowings in this series and his being in many color pages and in some certain chapters,( see the extra volume page below), it's obvious that he will shine in the story), :zomg






 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
Well, to be completely honest I do think Phil is everything but important as a character.
I mean, I like him (he is cute and all) but there were dozens of minor male characters better than him in 2016. Of course, maybe this year he becomes relevant and astounds me, but right now he is pretty much nobody in Neverland's story. :p
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Well, to be completely honest I do think Phil is everything but important as a character.
I mean, I like him (he is cute and all) but there were dozens of minor male characters better than him in 2016. Of course, maybe this year he becomes relevant and astounds me, but right now he is pretty much nobody in Neverland's story. :p
I'm ashamed Lambu-san :nah
You read manga like Tokyo Ghoul. Look for the relevance in covers, volume extras, letters from the author...
 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
I'm ashamed Lambu-san :nah
You read manga like Tokyo Ghoul. Look for the relevance in covers, volume extras, letters from the author...
B-but but... I tried already :pout
:feelsbadman

I know Phil is usually in the covers and stuff but I would not call it foreshadowing. He is just a kid of the house that, unlike the others, has a name we can refer to. If I had to parallel him with a character of Tokyo Ghoul it would be Shio Ihei, super cuuuute :hearts, but thats it. :e3
Who knows,
maybe I read the signs wrong and Phil is destined to be the leader of the human resistance against demons (lol)
but right now he is just (as @SirSamuel016 said) a little kid that says "Emma" a lot.

Anyway, not that I care much though, I have seen worse things, like forgetting about Korosensei in the nomination round :pjsalt:pjsalt

 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm confused. Why is Itachi a contender in the Backstory category? Naruto ended in 2015 and Boruto is it's own series, so I don't think he applies?
 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
I'm confused. Why is Itachi a contender in the Backstory category? Naruto ended in 2015 and Boruto is it's own series, so I don't think he applies?
Because the category is best character backstory of all time ;)

Wow @Battou that was fast haha
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,367
Gender
Male
Country
France
@Erinyes Maybe I should have bet on HxH after all. I didn't think it'd be this popular in this event.
 
Top