- Joined
- Apr 2, 2017
- Messages
- 10
- Reaction score
- 9
- Age
- 38
- Country
-
I think it's fine if a character can't be interchangable gender wise. What matters to me is whether they are still appealing and not a token "x" character
I have a simple test for a female character in shonen to see whether they are written simply as the token female character in a group.
Basically...take away the main guys and is the character still appealing? Does she still stand up on her own?
For Emma she definitely still is: her motivation to save her family still exists, she is smart, resourceful and a little naive. Anyone can see her appeal even if they dont like her personally.
For Sakura: I guess she vaguely liked medical ninjutsu? But then she went into it to ultimately help bring sasuke back so that technically doesn't count...
This really annoyed me, because all Kishimoto needed to do here was have her make a statement maybe somewhat like this:
Sakura: i did this medical stuff for sasuke initially, but i grew to like it and enjoy helping people
Boom! A ghost of a motivation not related to sasuke.
However I stopped reading naruto in the war arc, so can't say what happened to her character afterwards.
I did hear that apparently Sasuke was so moved by her devotion to him that he was gonna drop her in a volcano or something. Then she got over that and married him. So...yay?
I have a simple test for a female character in shonen to see whether they are written simply as the token female character in a group.
Basically...take away the main guys and is the character still appealing? Does she still stand up on her own?
For Emma she definitely still is: her motivation to save her family still exists, she is smart, resourceful and a little naive. Anyone can see her appeal even if they dont like her personally.
For Sakura: I guess she vaguely liked medical ninjutsu? But then she went into it to ultimately help bring sasuke back so that technically doesn't count...
This really annoyed me, because all Kishimoto needed to do here was have her make a statement maybe somewhat like this:
Sakura: i did this medical stuff for sasuke initially, but i grew to like it and enjoy helping people
Boom! A ghost of a motivation not related to sasuke.
However I stopped reading naruto in the war arc, so can't say what happened to her character afterwards.
I did hear that apparently Sasuke was so moved by her devotion to him that he was gonna drop her in a volcano or something. Then she got over that and married him. So...yay?
Da hell, only 5 chapters arc? Is Climax written in katakana? I thought it would be at least 9~10 to fill an entire volume, guess that's not the case.