Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You know what, I don't care anymore. This conversation is just not worth even trying to carry on.

I'm leaving this discussion up so people can see the context, but unless some actual evidence appears in an official source, any future conspiracy theories about how Togashi is lying about his health issues to avoid work are going to be deleted. If this is really so important to you then make a thread and beat the dead horse there, I'm tired of the same posts being made every time HxH goes on or off hiatus.

edit: actually I have a vague feeling I said this last time it happened too but I'm too lazy to search for it so whatever.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This whole conversation is pointless (yeah, and it's me saying so...) So let's change it but staying on topic at the same time...

What other series got long hiatus during jump's story?
 
Last edited:

Savi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
352
Reaction score
357
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
The only "long" I remember was Rising Impact, it was absent for 11 issues straight.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
The only "long" I remember was Rising Impact, it was absent for 11 issues straigh.
I didn't knew Nakaba have a break in Rissing, I comprend a little more his break now
Other examples:Orange Road and Bastard?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Do people still think FT is better than BC after reading the recent FT chapter? Worst shonen final arc ever.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Do people still think FT is better than BC after reading the recent FT chapter? Worst shonen final arc ever.
No. BC is just "How to write a shonen manga 101". No original ideas and everything is either a cliche or copied from other manga. But FT is a thousand train wrecks happening at once. You would find more consistency and a better plot in a Michael Bay Transformers movie than in FT.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Fairy Tail's early chapters were better than Black Clover. For me, I enjoyed it pretty much all the way to the Grand Magic Games and then it started going downhill. Black Clover has gotten a bit better since the beginning (like the horrible first chapter), but it's not as good as early Fairy Tail for me. Fairy Tail also has better drawn girls :^)
 

randimari

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2017
Messages
105
Reaction score
248
Age
33
Country
United States
Do people still think FT is better than BC after reading the recent FT chapter? Worst shonen final arc ever.
this isn't the right thread for this type of question but I will say that the final arc hasn't lived up to the high expectations (the issue in the recent chapter I'm disappointed as well even though the entirety of the chapter was ok) I've still throughly enjoyed FT then I've ever with BC, to which I'm not sure why I read BC still, the water temple arc was really bad imo. Guess nice art however
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Thinking of it, how do you guys react to edgy, angsty things now in jump shonens? Like what I mean, we loved seeing HYPE things from whenever the authors throws us a bone and the feeling of getting goosebumps when reading a series is a really good surge, but do you feel like we've all have grown out of these types of troupes? It's why a lot of people don't like the villain in Dr. Stone. Some of the edgy things fall flat or seem flat cause we know nothing will happen.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's not as bad now then when it started. Obviously Asta is still a horrendous MC, but currently I'm just confused on the power levels of some characters. Asta is ferociously op for a supposed underdog and that one chick can control time now. Also the current chapters feel like some filler. I think Yamis the best thing about the series and of course the art, but I'm not a big fan of the character designs
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yup. Yami and Yuno are pretty much the only enjoyable characters that don't seem like a cardboard cutout. Asta is pretty much the worst main character I've seen, but some of the side characters are pretty meh too. The literal hot-headed rival, the tsundere, the edge lord with violent tendencies, the high ranked nobility who look down on others. The villains are absolute garbage as well. I just hope Yuno and Yami get more screen time because those are the only characters I've enjoyed seeing. The mirror dude is pretty cool too.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
A weekly reminder that Bones is adapting this arc of MHA beautifully
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
First half of 2017 manga sales should come this week right? Any predictions?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
First half of 2017 manga sales should come this week right? Any predictions?
One Piece will be Number 1
MHA will still be in the top 10 but slightly lower.
Black Clover and Neverland will make the bottom of the list(maybe Yuragi)

Edit: for some reason I thought Neverland had 1.6 Million in print, but it's actually 700K. Nevermind.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
One Piece will be Number 1
MHA will still be in the top 10 but slightly lower.
Black Clover and Neverland will make the bottom of the list(maybe Yuragi)

Edit: for some reason I thought Neverland had 1.6 Million in print, but it's actually 700K. Nevermind.
Even if it was 1.6 million, it still most likely wouldnt have made the list. I don't BC will either.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Even if it was 1.6 million, it still most likely wouldnt have made the list. I don't BC will either.
It would though (not that it actually sold 1.6). Last year's first 1/2 list actually bottomed out at 0.9 million. Full year sales had the top 30 above 1.6 million.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It would though (not that it actually sold 1.6). Last year's first 1/2 list actually bottomed out at 0.9 million. Full year sales had the top 30 above 1.6 million.
Still doubt it. BC struggles to sell 200k in a month,
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
this isn't the right thread for this type of question but I will say that the final arc hasn't lived up to the high expectations (the issue in the recent chapter I'm disappointed as well even though the entirety of the chapter was ok) I've still throughly enjoyed FT then I've ever with BC, to which I'm not sure why I read BC still, the water temple arc was really bad imo. Guess nice art however
I give credit to Fairy Tail where it's due. IMO, in part it did the emsemble cast better than most Shonen Jump series in their entire lives, by:

  • Giving almost equal screentime to almost every character it had

  • Not sidelining characters unless it was necessary.(Bleach and Naruto are famous for this)

  • It may have used its female characters for ecchi purposes in part, but also they got their own arcs, they got development, they got their sweet chance to fight. Basically it passed the Bechdel test multiple times(I'm still explaining how Hunter x Hunter couldn't do any of this with its female characters)

  • It may not have a cast as good as say, Hunter x Hunter, but it didn't set up characters to do anything with them later on(as the final arc of Bleach did, and badly)
Tell me when Black Clover does something like this and I'll read it again.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I give credit to Fairy Tail where it's due. IMO, in part it did the emsemble cast better than most Shonen Jump series in their entire lives, by:
The bulk of the cast were useless, became useless or didn't have a point to them after the initial appearance even towards the main cast only three of them mattered. Hell Gray is a perfect example of how badly the cast was treated since he was incredibly poorly handled throughout the entire manga and despite getting an upgrade it winded up be completely useless in the end.

Giving almost equal screentime to almost every character it had
Yeah like Lisanna the character they made such a big deal about that she was brought back only to do nothing through the course of the manga.

Not sidelining characters unless it was necessary.(Bleach and Naruto are famous for this)
Remember that 7 year timeskip he used in order to sideline all the irrelevant members of the guild so that they would never be needed ever again yet still managed to sideline hal of the portion unaffected by it?

It may have used its female characters for ecchi purposes in part, but also they got their own arcs, they got development, they got their sweet chance to fight. Basically it passed the Bechdel test multiple times(I'm still explaining how Hunter x Hunter couldn't do any of this with its female characters)
1.) The Bechdel test has been proven bullshit on several occasions that crap like IkkiTousen has passed it
2.) The bulk of Fairy Tail's female cast were supporting roles and weren't much of anything but romance bait for the male characters and then there's Erza who has a bulk of problems not specific to any gender but is just a terrible character in general

It may not have a cast as good as say, Hunter x Hunter, but it didn't set up characters to do anything with them later on(as the final arc of Bleach did, and badly)
Gray, Gajeel, Lisanna (seriously there was no point in bringing her back), Laxus, Markov or hell most of the other guilds that were hyped up and didn't amount to anything. Really FT is not only a textbook on how you should not write a shounen but how you should not write a comic book in general as to why they're people who defend it and are still fans I have no clue because the series is just nothing but disappointment after disappointment that I only ever see people bring up because of the fanservice or shipping.
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
I love how people who defend Fairy Tail always try to push out the idea that everything is ok because Bleach is worse. Stop using Bleach as Fairy Tail's scapegoat because newsflash: Fairy Tail has no Soul Society arc and has been flawed from the beginning.

Anyway why is this conversation in this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top