Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Tumblr user MissStormCaller has translated the first 2 pages of the Kubo x Matsui interview:
Two mangaka are gathered here, they have created works that are great hits shining brightly through the history of JUMP. A passionate talk unfolds, extending over two hours!

—- “There is a difference between the things you want to draw and the things you can draw. The creator should draw the things they can draw. That’s what I’ve heard, but what do the two senseis think about that statement?” That is the question from pen name - “Red Pencil san”.

Matsui: First of all, I think Kubo sensei is probably the opposite. You draw the things you want to draw right?

Kubo: That’s right. Because, I think that the things I want to draw, is something I can draw…

Matsui: I thought so…!

Kubo: If I like it, I will try to draw it.

Matsui: In my case, it is the opposite. There is no choice but to like the things I can draw. As a prerequisite, there is this idea that the readers will not approve of something I can't even draw.

—- Ah, I see.

Matsui: Through the course of trial and error, when the readers have said “that was interesting wasn’t it?” about certain things, it is those things that is ‘what I can draw’. If they do approve of it, I will then try to intensively focus on that next time, and whilst in the process of driving my pen forward, I think it will gradually grow into something that I want to draw. It revolves around the recipients at first. Like in debate over whether the chicken came first or the egg, I think it is not a matter of right or wrong.

—- Conversely, Kubo sensei's standpoint is drawing what he would like to draw rather than what he can draw. Does this mean it is like an extension of sensei’s hobby?

Kubo: That’s true, absolutely.

Matsui: Kubo sensei once said somewhere, “no matter how I express it, if something comes to mind and I don’t let it out, I will not feel satisfied” isn’t that right? That left quite an impression on me.

Kubo: Ah, that’s right. If I don’t draw it, I will start to feel sick when it doesn’t take form.

—- You don’t want to leave ideas idle in your mind isn’t it?

Kubo: That’s correct. So I will draw it right away, and then place it next to me.

—- But it doesn't necessarily mean you want to make it into a piece of work?

Kubo: Yes that’s right. Because I was drawing “BLEACH” all the time, there were many ideas I couldn’t use. Right away, I would compose a storyboard or something…it repeatedly gets lost somewhere.

Matsui: Waaa!

—- What a waste!

Kubo: I don’t know where they went (Laughs).

Matsui: I really want to read them (laughs). Because it was drawn before the series isn’t that right?

Kubo: Right. But I didn’t store them sometimes I didn’t know what notes I discarded.

—- Therefore it’s such a waste (laughs)!

Matsui: What did you write your notes on?

Kubo: It was on copy paper. It is on those papers where I usually draw my storyboards. In the final stages of the series, I did not have any spare time to do that though…

Side text: (After the series finished) “When taking an MRI, my shoulder tendons were severed.” (Kubo)

Matsui: That’s right, I wanted to ask you. When continuing a weekly series, didn’t you ever become dazed midway through?

Kubo: dazed (laughs)?

Matsui: Have you never momentarily drawn like you were writing something automatically?

Kubo: Ah, I understand! I get it!

Matsui: A state in which you are somehow able to draw because your body has memorised how to draw. Given that there really is no flexibility to draw whilst thinking about various things like I did in my former days. Kubo sensei, how soon did you lose that flexibility?

Kubo: probably around the final 3 years?

Matsui: Ehhh!! Over 10 years since the serialisation!?

Kubo: by that time, my physical condition had deteriorated so much, I had lost that flexibility.

Matsui: For me, it came after the first 3 years (laughs). At the time of both “Neuro: Supernatural Detective” as well “Assassination Classroom”, as soon as 3 years had passed, I was already in a daze.

Kubo: Ahaha (laughs).

Matsui: The 15 years that “Bleach” has accomplished is an extraordinary time impossible to imagine. Therefore, I wondered if there is something in that time that only Kubo sensei can see.

—- You were able to keep that up as far as 10 years until your physical condition deteriorated?

Kubo: That’s right. I was able to keep drawing as usual for as many as 10 years, after the decline in my health, I was conscious about managing my physical condition. From then on, I was trying not to catch a cold.

Matsui: It’s a peculiar manner of speaking but, when I was younger, there was a part of me that thought I was invincible. When I got sick one time, I lost confidence in that thinking “I was wrong…” (laughs).

Kubo: Ah I see. I’d even catch colds while I was still young, I would take medicine and then sleep for 6 hours to cure it. I thought my health became bad in the mornings. I felt like I’d get better in the evenings and do some work, but gradually that became ineffective.

—- That’s sad Isn’t it…


Matsui: The pressures of doing a weekly series is truly staggering, so that heavy pressure has replaced any sort of cold for me. Well, in my case, my series did not go on as long as Kubo sensei’s, so thankfully there hasn’t been any substantial decline in my health… I am not confident about whether or not I can draw in the same way in a subsequent series.

Kubo: It gradually gets worse.

—- Is it an age related thing?

Kubo: Well, during a series, adrenaline rises to the surface, and you no longer understand poor physical health. So I end up getting colds when things like double issues happen.

—- There was talk of such a thing in your last conversation…

Kubo: This time, when this lengthy series ended, my health became worse as expected.

—- What happened?

Kubo: It felt like everything until now came at once!

Matsui: Hahaha (laughs).

Kubo: Especially amongst that, I was always thinking my shoulder hurts. And so, even after several months it did not get better in the slightest.

—- Uh huh.

Kubo: When taking an MRI, my shoulder tendons were severed.

—- Huuhh!?

Kubo: I have a habit of leaning my body weight on my left shoulder whilst drawing. It seems that happened because my shoulder took that load. I was told there was a partial fracture.

Matsui: You mean you didn’t realise what it was?

Kubo: It became awfully painful the next day after making the manuscript for the last chapter.

—- Amazing…

Matsui: Indeed, that's amazing.

Kubo: Is it really?

Matsui: Well, yes! That’s not normal at all. Hearing that puts me to shame. I wonder if you did the manuscript thinking “I’m going as far as to give up my whole body and soul for this” ? (Laughs).

Kubo: Not at all (laughs).

—- The more kubo sensei doesn’t understand pain, the more he says “I’ll draw something I want to draw” huh?

Kubo: Ah, going back to the original conversation (laughs).

—- Let’s get back on track (laughs).

Matsui: I think a series won’t even last a year unless there is fun (laughs).

Kubo: That’s right, it can’t.
The more Kubo speaks through post series interviews or through what he said on twitter the more confusing the definitive reason for Bleach's cancellation becomes.

I don't doubt that Bleach was cancelled. However as Kubo continues to speak about his health problems post the 10th anniversary and 3 years before the series conclusion is it possible that it was fully intended to end when it ended. The series did end on the month of its 15th anniversary and during that time the first musical in four years was running. Also it got a live action movie announcement when it ended and post series novel's have been released in order to answer as many missing plot points as possible.

With Bleach's sales for 2016( 6th best selling manga in Jump) I would think that Jump would try to move Bleach to a different magazine to conclude like it did for Beelzebub for instance but perhaps Kubo's condition was too bad to merit a decision like that.

What does everyone think: Was Kubo's health a factor in the series cancellation or was it just the terrible rankings because i'm not sure anymore.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Well, you have to understand that a lot of these things are planned well in advance, we knew about Bleach ending or rather its final arc years in advance but Kubo's declining health is something that just recently came to light. Make no mistake Bleach had fallen in popularity and sales after the Winter War arc and the cancellation of the anime didn't do it any favors so Jump was definitely pushing it to the side to promote their newer titles so I would say it was more of a compromise between Jump and Kubo that he could end his manga at any time because it wasn't a pillar for the magazine anymore and he could drag it out for as much as he wanted.

So basically at a certain point Jump stopped caring about Bleach and the series was getting by mostly due to established longstanding fans rather than attracting new ones, Kubo could pretty much had ended the story at any point during 2013 to 2016 but decided to drag it out until he was sick of it.I don't think longstanding mangaka are effected by the Jump system , Matsui got to end AssClass on his own, Akimoto got to end Kochikame on his own, Kishimoto got to end Naruto on his own despite how widely popular it remained even towards its conclusion, Shimabukuro got to end Toriko on his own and Amano got to end Reborn on her own hell Sorachi is dragging out Gintama's final arc for all is worth since Jump isn't telling him to speed it up. Bleach ended up the way it did because of Kubo and I doubt there was any interference on Jump's part.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Toriko's final chapter was full of "this is what would've happened next if it kept going" kind of stuff. but it definitely felt like he wanted the series to last a lot longer.

I feel like at this point we can be fairly certain that Bleach didn't actually get cancelled though, there's too many big things happening at the time for it to all just be coincidental. Kubo's failing health, it being the 15th anniversary, the live action movie announcement, the series getting a final chapter countdown advertising the finale (even if Kubo decided to black out the actual number for whatever reason), and him just not having the same drive as he used to. There's not really much doubt that Kubo ended it on his own at this point.

Plus didn't Kubo even say at one point that it was entirely his own choice? We've seen other creators comment about getting cancelled (like when Ole Golazo ended just recently) so it's not like he wouldn't be allowed to say anything if it had been.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Toriko's final chapter was full of "this is what would've happened next if it kept going" kind of stuff. but it definitely felt like he wanted the series to last a lot longer.
It feels more so like "the adventure continues" sort of ending where despite the fact that the main conflict is complete Toriko would still go on these adventures. Toriko feels like the type of series in which the ending of it was planned before everything else so it feels like it could practically go on forever but I could definitely feel that the weekly schedule toil had effected Shimabukuro that made him want to do something vastly more simple for his next work.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^true

The adventure continue ending is normal for most successful manga, and axed series lol :p
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder if we'll ever see something else like iShoujo where it gets cancelled but ends up coming back somewhere else.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder if we'll ever see something else like iShoujo where it gets cancelled but ends up coming back somewhere else.
The most infamous example is Otokozaka from Kuramada of Saint Seiya fame which got cancelled back in 1984 and came back 30 years later from where it left off in Playboy.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Toriko's, "3 area skip in one chapter" pissed fans off a lot more than the ending. That was by far the worst chapter in the series. The ending was good. If you noticed during the wedding chapter, there were more call backs to pre-TS Toriko. Had it not skipped the areas; we could've gotten more callbacks to Acacia's ingredients. Kinda sad but just shows how rushed it was.

3 acts would be fine for Toriko but that'll prob put it close to 500-600 chapters. I think that would've been normal given how ridiculously OP Toriko was during the end of gourmet world saga. I would've just wanted a final land arc and maybe more explanation/history on Toriko's remaining appetite demons. The way Shimabu writes, it could've been like a TTGL 2.0.

Overall, Shimabu is good at handling endings. I heard Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi! had a great ending (the ending in Super Jump, not WSJ).
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I just wish Toriko continued on till 500-600 chapters, especially since a space arc was teased. It did not deserve to be ended the way it did. Whether it was Jump decided to axe it or Shimabu himself getting bored of it, I just wanted it to continue for years. It was a great read, one of my favorites.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah I miss Toriko very much too... The problem was the Monkey King Arc... Everything went downhill after that.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Yeah my disappointment of the Another Arc and what followed... Air and Pair were such good arcs too :/. Toriko had been on the decline for a while, and I feel Jump told him to start wrapping it up ~18 months before it actually ended. The increase in pace was not funny. Little did they know they would lose so many flagship titles in one year, probably could have done with Toriko in the mag atm considering how few established series they have. But I don't have any doubt Shimabu was at least told he wouldn't have forever and to hurry it up.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah... Even so I think shimabu cut all loose ends, except all those gourmet world entrances... I mean, why all the hupla on them and never use it?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I just wish Toriko continued on till 500-600 chapters, especially since a space arc was teased. It did not deserve to be ended the way it did. Whether it was Jump decided to axe it or Shimabu himself getting bored of it, I just wanted it to continue for years. It was a great read, one of my favorites.
I bet Shimabukuro was tired of that, everybody was tired of that.
The best arc was Gourmet Cassino, after that things were not the same ever again...
In the end I was just reading to see the end, didn't care anymore.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To me the best arc by faaar was the Century Soup. After that the tournament arc.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I bet Shimabukuro was tired of that, everybody was tired of that.
The best arc was Gourmet Cassino, after that things were not the same ever again...
In the end I was just reading to see the end, didn't care anymore.
Speak for yourself. While it was intense for him; you can really see his passion even when the series was rushed too much, he made the manga very entertaining to read.

Best arc was the century soups, tournament as mentioned and the monkey king arc. Casino arc was cool but the tournament was the best.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My only fear regarding Jump series is that one day One Piece has the same fate as Naruto, Bleach and Toriko... All of them went downhill and ended in an unsatisfactory way... Well, One Piece already surpassed all of them in number of chapters and it is still the most enjoyable manga ever created, so One Piece is already in a category of its own. If you think about it, it is really hard to be satisfied by endings in Jump... The three I mentioned were clearly bad, but take Slam Dunk as an example, it had one of the greatest ending ever, but there are still people that wanted more. Personally, I also would say the same about Hikaru no Go, one of my favorites, it was great through the end, but I wanted more...
It is still early to think about One Piece epic final, but sometimes I can't help but thinking... I hope I can be lucky enough to see its ending (I talk as if it will take centuries to end. XD).
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
One Piece will never be rushed though and IMO with the TS did go a bit downhill. I think a lot of series for me, specifically battle/adventure series go downhill after their TS. HxH seems to be the exception as the current arc seems to have the potential to be the best.

I agree Slam Dunk's ending is the best.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The more Kubo speaks through post series interviews or through what he said on twitter the more confusing the definitive reason for Bleach's cancellation becomes.

I don't doubt that Bleach was cancelled. However as Kubo continues to speak about his health problems post the 10th anniversary and 3 years before the series conclusion is it possible that it was fully intended to end when it ended. The series did end on the month of its 15th anniversary and during that time the first musical in four years was running. Also it got a live action movie announcement when it ended and post series novel's have been released in order to answer as many missing plot points as possible.

With Bleach's sales for 2016( 6th best selling manga in Jump) I would think that Jump would try to move Bleach to a different magazine to conclude like it did for Beelzebub for instance but perhaps Kubo's condition was too bad to merit a decision like that.

What does everyone think: Was Kubo's health a factor in the series cancellation or was it just the terrible rankings because i'm not sure anymore.
I would'nt account an illness or health problem that happened 3 years before, not even 1, into any equation. So no I don't believe anything related with Bleach ending had to do with that health problem Kubo had. The only thing from all of his message is his desire and effort to end the story as he wanted since the beginning.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
One Piece will never be rushed though and IMO with the TS did go a bit downhill. I think a lot of series for me, specifically battle/adventure series go downhill after their TS. HxH seems to be the exception as the current arc seems to have the potential to be the best.

I agree Slam Dunk's ending is the best.

While Slam Dunk's ending is good, it has one major problem. It ended where it shouldn't. I don't care what any fan thinks about a series, but any story should'nt end/skip in the middle of a process(Unless is comedy like Bo-bobobo bo-bobo, and evento that ...), in this case the middle of a tournament.
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
then there's Erza who has a bulk of problems not specific to any gender but is just a terrible character in general
Hell Gray is a perfect example of how badly the cast was treated since he was incredibly poorly handled throughout the entire manga and despite getting an upgrade it winded up be completely useless in the end.
This shit is hilarious and money, I don't usually agree with you on FT but this is too true :rofl. It will never be an immunity to compare different series against each other, simply cause we're all guilty of it since it's one of the easiest way out to validate something a point you're trying to make while having some type of substance to prove that specific point. So it could be worse, like how majority of people on the thread who have trashed BC I've always seen them usually give reasons why they make fun of it and that's all you can ask for.

I agree with the majority that FT did a job with its character cast in regards to screentime, character development as in no feels super lost in the story, and while not all preceded massive importance they stayed relevant and gown in different cases. Side characters is one of my main things in a series, we get the main characters way enough so you gotta have a strong supporting cast. Hinata is universally more popular than Sakura, Grimmjow, Yoruichi from Bleach come to mind when talking of good side characters that possibly are better than the mains. DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon, Yugioh did great with its side characters. Naruto barely gave any of its side characters final fights in the final arc (Konoha 11 doing a psuedo-Spirit Bomb to damage the Ten Tails is not what I mean either). I have the same issue with the recent chapter like most but I can say that I never had problems with FT till like midway through the final arc. Being a not hard critic of manga is a factor, I thought Demon Plan was gonna be good lol.

Also on Kubo I respect him for working through an illness but I think it might of been the sales... did he ever outright confirm he ended the manga on his own terms?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top