@Belserion yep, bashing at
Mikasa saying she's a one-dimensional character might be a little out of place, she's more complex than what it seems at first sight, but
@Seven777 did bring the key statement here.
If you put aside devotion all her other personality traits are simply not engaging, I would not feel attracted to Mikasa nor would wish to be with her romantically if it wasn't for that.
She's a soldier with very straight priorities,
protect her loved ones and keep on living, as I said in my previous post I can understand why she's like this but that doesn't justify that it makes her option a narrow path that I would get bored of quite quickly.
@Zeref Spriggan and
@Emperor Spriggan (lol at the similar names) hit the mark with the election being something personal, there's people that would be happy with someone like that, but many others that "bash" or neglect Mikasa think it makes her character a not appealing option for a girlfriend/waifu. I personally find her a nice option (I voted her more than once in this event) but definitely not the best, there are other types of woman I would like a lot better.
On the other hand you have
Holo, a goddess that feels more human than the actual humans in her world.
She's the incarnation of the wolf-goddess of harvest, living in a world of neverending change for centuries, learning all kinds of things in her journeys with different people; helping them, protecting them, visiting all kind of places and understanding the real nature of humans.
She's then forsaken by the people that owes her their prosperity and she understands it, actually feels happy for them because they managed to leave that dependance behind, but at the same time she feels sad and frustrated, because it seems like she's being erased from that world. She's a myth of older times that the church would burn if they knew of her existance and no-one would accept her for what she is, she truly is lonely.
Thats why she wants to go back to the north, to her home, so she can meet back with her family even if (this is not much of a spoiler) they are, of course, dead for a long long time, she just wants to get rid of that solitude even if it is during that journey with Lawrence that feels like an excuse, a
dream: she knows it will end sooner or later, either they part ways in life or he dies at the end of his mortal life.
Loneliness is her curse and she knows it very well, but that doesn't break her.
Instead of despairing over it she faces
Life like the series of good experiences you have. She's a hedonist that would live life to its fullest and take advantage of everything at her disposition, that means tricking people for example, and she would keep learning to increase her wisdom.
This wisdom is her pride and she would protect her title with all her means (she will often reject Lawrence help at the beggining of their relationship and will decide to figure things out on her own) but she's not excesively arrogant about her intelligence and when she makes a mistake she will feel extremely bad about it. A good example is when she starts joking about wolf-attacks with Lawrence when they were travelling to Pazzio, the moment she notices that Lawrence's friends were victims of the wolves she feels ashamed of herself and would swear she will never talk about it ever again, begging for forgiveness.
She's still proud of her skills though, and values promises over any other thing, if someone should win her trust she would do anything to make him happy and wealthy.
She also knows how to read the mood at any time and tries her best to keep a cheerful atmosphere with her sassy and witty attitude, she would often argue with Lawrence about his abstinence towards money and encourage him to do new things. When the time comes she would even throw her pride off and do embarrasing stuff to make the people around her lift their hopes up and improve the enviroment.
Of course she has faults as a person, such as some jealousy towards women that gets too close to her man, but in the end she blames human innate stupidity for her sentiments and herself for feeling that way. Some of Holo's reflexions are pretty much one of the primal points of the series.
And with this and more, she never stops growing as a person, the Holo you know at the end of Volume 1 is the same and so so different from the one that marries Lawrence at the end of the series, when finally chooses to enjoy the little time they have for themselves, have a child with him and run a little shop at a town in the north...
I understand this is not the best character contest, when we take into account the context of both characters one can assume they are both very good for their own series but I cant help but feel I would have a lot more fun and live a more interesting life with Holo by my side, I can't really put it with other words.
Mikasa is a good character and deserves to be loved (and oh I can agree with her returning the feelings tenfold) but everything that surrounds Holo's character is so fascinating... she's literally a girl I would wish she was real.
I hope I made my points clear
#healthysaltforever