Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Are people expecting some Marineford War level of developments or something? We're barely 150 chapters in, geez.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
While MHA isnt great atm, I was just thinking last night how its still one of the most exciting Jump series currently, which is very sad.. Nothing else in the magazine is at an exciting stage atm, and even bad MHA is still more exciting than them to me. With HZ ending and Neverland and OP losing steam lately, plus every other series is just in a downer now, MHA is providing some of my only enjoyement in Jump.

Sad because I remember being extremely excited for 6 or 7 series last year, but now they're all in a slump and I can go weeks without even realising I havent read the latest chapters.
How is this current arc not great? Everything that people have been clamoring for (development for side characters, longer fights, a threat, story progression, world building) is happening this arc. Shit Shigarakis development is amazing.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I will leave this at here: Manga isn't going to change. if any current manga series from any magazine is making feel down or not to your expectations then its time to get a new hobby. Remember if something you like doesn't make you happy its time to find something else that does or else you are wasting your time.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Are you not forgetting some big names in the beginning of One Piece like Kuro, Krieg and Arlong? The crew struggled a lot in the beginning, the tension was palpable, principally in Arlong Park. Villains become stronger as the heroes become stronger and Oda does it perfectly. Kuro, Krige and Arlong wouldn't be a big deal right now, but they were at that time and the tension was high.
I love OP but I'm going to be frank at no point did I believe that the SH were in any mortal danger or struggled to win their fights given how competent they already were from the beginning up until the appearance of Kuzan (which ironically came after an largely gag-centric arc with no tension) where the Strawhats actually felt they were up against a wall with nowhere to go, spat at one other and had one of them contemplate on whether he should continue on if every enemy they face would be that level, before that they largely got by through their own individual strengths and the bulk of the conflict between the anatagonists were drama centric than measures of strength I mean that's why Arlong was so memorable due to all the horrible shit he did to Nami and how much defeating him meant to her and the island why nobody remembers Kuro and Krieg who's conflicts felt more smaller in scale and weren't nearly as personal.

My Hero Academia on the other hand... It is incapable to make feel any threat, besides Kirishima story and struggles this arc has been pretty boring and I thought the villain this time was good, he is intelligent and not a Shigaraki, but he is just fleeing and I haven't heard of him for a couple of chapters now.
He's actually succeeding in what he's planning to do i.e. using his lackeys effectively to escape because he doesn't actually have to fight to win as stated in this arc his family will live on if he's free regardless of if the Eight Precepts survive or not

The heroes are completely fine, they even felt confident enough to bring students with them. They left students alone with a horde of villains and guess what? He won! He fucking won! It seems like they are more than ready to be professionals with these weakling villains, none of them are taken hostage which would be obvious if you are villains with a minimum of power and see the heroes underestimating you. The heroes are most of the time just running towards their goal and their biggest problem is the walls.

The students has been given missions that are supposedly too hard for them, but they are going too well, too well...
They already lost two pros and two students already, the student in question who one is among among the top 3 best in the school and is a full-time sidekick, the only other student didn't take down a single villain and is down for the count for sustaining too much damage once again the Eight Precepts are just a distraction and its only until recently that the pros realize that they've been duped into wasting their time as the main prize escapes.[/QUOTE]
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love OP but I'm going to be frank at no point did I believe that the SH were in any mortal danger or struggled to win their fights given how competent they already were from the beginning up until the appearance of Kuzan (which ironically came after an largely gag-centric arc with no tension) where the Strawhats actually felt they were up against a wall with nowhere to go, spat at one other and had one of them contemplate on whether he should continue on if every enemy they face would be that level, before that they largely got by through their own individual strengths and the bulk of the conflict between the anatagonists were drama centric than measures of strength I mean that's why Arlong was so memorable due to all the horrible shit he did to Nami and how much defeating him meant to her and the island why nobody remembers Kuro and Krieg who's conflicts felt more smaller in scale and weren't nearly as personal.


He's actually succeeding in what he's planning to do i.e. using his lackeys effectively to escape because he doesn't actually have to fight to win as stated in this arc his family will live on if he's free regardless of if the Eight Precepts survive or not


They already lost two pros and two students already, the student in question who one is among among the top 3 best in the school and is a full-time sidekick, the only other student didn't take down a single villain and is down for the count for sustaining too much damage once again the Eight Precepts are just a distraction and its only until recently that the pros realize that they've been duped into wasting their time as the main prize escapes.
[/QUOTE]
Literally Overhaul trashed Rappa 5 straight times, who Fatgum and Kirishima could barely handle together. And its not even just his quirk, he was able to react to his speed and strength. How is he not threatening?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Guys remember not everyone keeps up with every manga in the magazine.

Here I have something for everyone to discuss about while waiting for the TOC tomorrow

1. Neverland: Thought on the new current arc?

Posuka has great world building so i can't wait for her to show her talents. Adventure/world building is one of my favorite thing to read.

2. Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?

More Yankee is always welcome.

3 and 4. Current arc for Robot x Laserbeam and Dr.Stone?

It's the complete opposite now, I hate reading R x L. Which is a shame consider I really like Dan Doh 10 years ago.

Dr Stone has step up its game, while I still don't like the art style Senkuu arc is really fun to read. It read just like a round of Civilization game.

I've been enjoying the WCI arc in One Piece so far. I would say Oda has step up his game and this is probably the 2nd best New World Arc.

5,6,7,8. Add your own series here~
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I've been loving Kimetsu's current arc, the comedy is spot on. Current chapter was a bit slow compared to the rest but revealed more of the Upper Demon.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Literally Overhaul trashed Rappa 5 straight times, who Fatgum and Kirishima could barely handle together. And its not even just his quirk, he was able to react to his speed and strength. How is he not threatening?[/QUOTE]
I didn't say he wasn't threatening I just said he doesn't need to do anything to win since his goal doesn't involve fighting the heroes.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Literally Overhaul trashed Rappa 5 straight times, who Fatgum and Kirishima could barely handle together. And its not even just his quirk, he was able to react to his speed and strength. How is he not threatening?
I didn't say he wasn't threatening I just said he doesn't need to do anything to win since his goal doesn't involve fighting the heroes.
Nah I was agreeing with you
 
Last edited:

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
It's like pottery.
And by the way, chill with the spoilers. There are people here who havent read the manga (me).
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I honestly don't think the fights have been great this arc, the best ones were Suneater's, Overhaul's encounter with the VA, Toga's. In Kirishima's the Unbreakable armor was amazing to see but in the end the crackhead he fought was still fine. Enjoyed the flashback more than the fight with the one with Fat Gum. The fights from the provisional license arc were better to me in some facets even if this arc is way better in the totality of it. My last comment on the current arc

On another topic, Boruto had a surprisingly nice end of arc chapter if anyone read it. Actually looking forward to this new antagonist group. Worst case scenario it's a rip off Akatsuki. Can't get any worse

Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?
Just read the last two chapters, she's pretty cool and personality is enjoyable. Looks alot like Hibari and Sagiri w/ a blonde wig at first glance but drawing her more will probably differente her soon enough. This new arc is looking like it's gonna go into cruise control for a while with little plot
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I liked Shion until she became another one of Kogarashi's harem members. The other girls I'm okay with, but this one just felt forced.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
She did? I didn't see that. She was just looking out for Chisaki. I agree though, she's better off being a bro than apart of the harem.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I read the first chapters of My Hero Academia : Vigilantes some minutes ago and ironically there is that feeling of danger and excited me a little bit. The spin off is going to surpass the main series in my heart? xD
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
1. Neverland: Thought on the new current arc?
I would have liked more of the forest / adventure book arc. If only for the art. It cut off very abruptly.
I'm not too interested in meeting Minerva, now that we know there are more humans. It requires too much exposition.
I'd rather catch up with Isabella and HQ.
2. Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?
Delinquents are cute. It's good that the cast outside the inn is expanding. Hopefully it means more slice of life stuff.
3 and 4. Current arc for Robot x Laserbeam and Dr.Stone?
I'm surprised at how determined Robert seems. I wrote this off early but the story seems to have skipped to something interesting.
I'm also still very shaky on Dr. Stone. The recent chapters are too isekai for my taste but I like that Senkuu is falling behind the curve a bit.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Guys remember not everyone keeps up with every manga in the magazine.

Here I have something for everyone to discuss about while waiting for the TOC tomorrow

1. Neverland: Thought on the new current arc?

Posuka has great world building so i can't wait for her to show her talents. Adventure/world building is one of my favorite thing to read.

2. Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?

More Yankee is always welcome.

3 and 4. Current arc for Robot x Laserbeam and Dr.Stone?

It's the complete opposite now, I hate reading R x L. Which is a shame consider I really like Dan Doh 10 years ago.

Dr Stone has step up its game, while I still don't like the art style Senkuu arc is really fun to read. It read just like a round of Civilization game.

I've been enjoying the WCI arc in One Piece so far. I would say Oda has step up his game and this is probably the 2nd best New World Arc.

5,6,7,8. Add your own series here~
You scold people for talking about the mangas saying that not everybody keeps up with them and then ask a bunch of questions from other series that will have to have spoilers? What do you intend?
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the comedy in Dr Stone is making the series for me. Really joyful to read, just like Eyeshield. Learning more about the world in Neverland was super interesting, I was expecting some apocalyptic take, but nah, the world was just always like that. Meeting Minerva should be exciting
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. Neverland: Thought on the new current arc?
I'm surprised how much this series has grown within in year in terms of writing since I was going o write it off as one-note once the keikakaus stopped coming in thinking it would turn into a boring adventure story but it surprised me with how nuanced it is even when teh cliffhangers keep coming.


2. Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?
Meh. I really hope this doesn't make the same mistake as TLR did with expanding the cast and going off into irrelevancy.

3 and 4. Current arc for Robot x Laserbeam and Dr.Stone?
Robot I've still enjoying as much as I did in the beginning since the mangaka really wants to make this golf manga work. Dr. Stone still feels like its on autopilot and still feels like its trying to do too much while at the same time not being very interesting,
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Guys remember not everyone keeps up with every manga in the magazine.

Here I have something for everyone to discuss about while waiting for the TOC tomorrow

1. Neverland: Thought on the new current arc?

Posuka has great world building so i can't wait for her to show her talents. Adventure/world building is one of my favorite thing to read.

2. Yuragi: Opinion on the new character Shion?

More Yankee is always welcome.

3 and 4. Current arc for Robot x Laserbeam and Dr.Stone?

It's the complete opposite now, I hate reading R x L. Which is a shame consider I really like Dan Doh 10 years ago.

Dr Stone has step up its game, while I still don't like the art style Senkuu arc is really fun to read. It read just like a round of Civilization game.

I've been enjoying the WCI arc in One Piece so far. I would say Oda has step up his game and this is probably the 2nd best New World Arc.

5,6,7,8. Add your own series here~
1-

I was worried the series would go downhill after the first arc but the landscapes are superb. Very excited to see what's next.

2 -

Not my kind of waifu. Team Yuuna ftw

3/4 (Venerate Veterans?)

Not a big fan of The Golf Which Robot Plays, but not because of the manga. Just not my kind of sport.

Dr. Stone (like I said months ago) is the best new manga of the 6 series batch hands down.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
She did? I didn't see that. She was just looking out for Chisaki. I agree though, she's better off being a bro than apart of the harem.
It's not obvious yet, but the way her introduction chapter played out made it seem that way. The blushes, the "spring has come" line.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top