Let's not forget that Iraq coveted oil-rich Kuwait so much that they attacked it. This was what brought on so much national attention on Saddam and his cronies in the first place. Before the Persian Gulf War in 1990, you could hardly find a single American who could locate Iraq on a map, or knew anything about it.
The reason Iraq attacked Kuwait was that they neglected their own oil and water resources so much while they were warring with Iran that they were soon dealing with national crises on a nearly everyday basis. They were SO desperate that they were trying to steal anything they could from their neighbors.
Whose fault was that? I still find it ludricious that Iraqis blame us for all that. "Why is America doing this?" was a common thing for them to say even before we went over there to stop Saddam. I guess they needed somebody to hate, I can't blame them for being envious of America, though... considering the state of misery they were in all these years as a result of their government's neglect.
Yes, I don't presume to believe that America didn't go in there without believing that it would be in the end profitable, but no government EVER does anything for any other nation without a reason. That's just Machiavellian truth.
Saddam Hussein may not have had any WMDs, but he was certainly dangerous. He himself is a WMD to his own people, and certainly posed a deadly threat to other countries as well. It was easy enough to take the cue, went in, and removed a government that was obviously corrupt. Even the Iraqis themselves spat on Saddam's broken statue when we pushed it over.
Though if the Americans had left immediately afterwards, I do believe Iraq would just have another dictator not much better than Saddam Hussein (that is, if they ever stopped warring among themselves) and they'd be trying to invade Kuwait or Iran all over again. Who was to say that Saddam didn't have more people under his command elsewhere that we hadn't caught yet, that would just bring the government back? Though I do think that we probably should just have left Iraq and maybe took up guard in Kuwait or Israel instead. We probably should have just left Iraq to its fate because they obviously didn't want our help in setting up a government for them (even if it meant that they would kill each other.)
As for Korea, I do think their government is just spouting hot air. Trying to get some of the same attention that Iraq is getting these days. But South Korea is our ally, and as such, I think that's the reason George Bush is mustering some forces just in case. When I was dating Jasmine (who's from Seoul), she definitely wasn't fond of North Korea.
But well, George Bush declared a "war on terrorism" after 9/11, and that does require a lot of operations all over the world - if the most powerful nation in the world won't do something about terrorism, who will?
I know there are many people in the world who are skeptical about 9/11 being "all that big a deal" considering so many other countries have so many similar terrorist attacks, but to us it was definitely a pretty big deal - nothing like that had ever happened to us before - and I think it did give Bush sufficient reason to fight terrorism on a nationwide basis. And he did it with nearly 100% of America's support - at least in the beginning (though a lot of Americans wouldn't admit it right now.)
I doubt VERY much that if 9/11 had not ever happened, we would be in Iraq right now.