Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
We don't have a decent one since Yugioh and, to be honest, I don't think there will be anything like Yugioh ever again.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I just remembered, Samon-kun could have easily been one of those monsters battle manga with very minor adjustments
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think One Piece became popular with all genders and ages throughout its history, it is like a cultural thing already in Japan. It is supported by girls, not fujoishi specifically, girls can like Law without being fujoishi. The manga world is not divided between boys and fujoishi. XD
Yeah, I never thought of One Piece as a fujo show. I really don't see much of them. I'm sure there are plenty given how popular but, they are not as loud as some of the other series with more a vocal fujoshi audience like Hunter x Hunter or Haikyuu.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Where's the guy from Yoakemono and Zippo!?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Where's the guy from Yoakemono and Zippo!?
It's 1 in the morning in Japan, so they are probably sleeping in their houses. :derp
People don't follow newbies that closely, so it is probably unknown. He did a short series on Jump GIGA last year though, the Yoakemono guy.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
^they're the same person dude, he did both Yoakemono and Zippo

anyway, he did a manga about his time as an assistant under Oda for One Piece magazine not too long ago
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
^they're the same person dude, he did both Yoakemono and Zippo

anyway, he did a manga about his time as an assistant under Oda for One Piece magazine not too long ago
How should I know that when even MAL doesn't know about it? :confused:
You have all this in a spreadsheet? It is almost impossible to remember the works from a less than 20 chapters series author.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
it's impossible to remember and keep up with every guy that have his work cancelled, that's a fact

however keeping up with the few guys you like, isn't that hard, especially if they have an active twitter account like the aforementioned Shibata

https://twitter.com/tokiwablue21
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I can probably name all the cancelled series and any one-shots from those serialized mangakas from the last 4ish years and most but prolly not all of at least the canceled series for the next 5 years after . It's just a matter of passion and memory.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sahara Samurai was neat
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I can probably name all the cancelled series and any one-shots from those serialized mangakas from the last 4ish years and most but prolly not all of at least the canceled series for the next 5 years after . It's just a matter of passion and memory.
We were talking exclusively about Jump's mangakas?

cuz keeping up with Jump's employees isn't really that hard, as you said it's a matter of how much you care and memory

I mean, Jump oneshots magazines Next/Giga/Cross etc.... always make a huge deal whenever a former WSJ mangaka does a oneshot, so you won't miss anything

cancelled mangakas from other publishers and magazines on the other hand are not so easy to keep track of

if they don't have a twitter account then I just keep searching their names every now and then on Japanese amazon hoping something new would show up
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why this taste and "passion" for canceled authors?
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Why this taste and "passion" for canceled authors?
Horikoshi was two-time cancelled author and he came back with a huge-hit. Its simply a matter of liking the style of that mangaka and wanting them to come back and succeed. Though in Horikoshi's case, I'm not entirely aware of how high expectations were when Heroaca began.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Though in Horikoshi's case, I'm not entirely aware of how high expectations were when Heroaca began.
They were higher than normal if I remember. Mainly due to the fact that it was based on a one shot that was 6 years old at that point, and that people liked his first series.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Horikoshi was two-time cancelled author and he came back with a huge-hit. Its simply a matter of liking the style of that mangaka and wanting them to come back and succeed. Though in Horikoshi's case, I'm not entirely aware of how high expectations were when Heroaca began.
I can only say for myself: a huge and round ZERO. Sensei no Bulge was a disaster, it was one of my first series I started to read since the beginning from Jump, it had a huge hype at that time because VIZ picked it up, it was the beginning of all the movement to bring new series, I thought VIZ would give up after that and they did make some changes throughout the years. In any case, my expectation was zero, it took around 20 chapters for me to believe that it was really good and start to read.

I generally don't have expectations for newbies or canceled authors, except for huge exceptions like Magico author, which was a really big series for a canceled one so it is understandable.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo - GFC Entry #4 Raw
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5340570168
Liked the art style for the color page (it looks like 90s/80s style coloring), not so much for the actual manga.
Also, I chuckled at the first comment pointing out the similarity between the flying kick there and the one in OPM. I knew that I had seen that somewhere. Honestly, it looks more like it's straight up copied than an homage. Even the arms are the same.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Issue 44 Preview
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Any word on the Magical Boy X one-shot getting translated?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top