Voting Round 1 Black Clover vs. Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden

Who Wins?

  • Black Clover

  • Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden


The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,387
Reaction score
12,175
Gender
Male
Country
United States

​

Black Clover
Yuki Tabata
​
-

Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden
Yuu Watase
​



Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
You all need to vote for Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden! !

Art 15/15


So pretty! Watase draws so wonderfully

Story 14/15

Better than original series!

Characters 9/10

They are funny and will get the job done. I like some of the villians and their personalities are diverse

Fights/Conflicts 4.5/5


Loys of good fights.

Enjoyability 5/5

47.5/50
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I will have to first introduce this awesome manga series to the majority cuz it is still not very well known and well appreciated. I will take this chance that manga wars gave me and promote it in hope people will pick it up. So here it goes:


​

Black Clover is a shonen manga series written and illustrated by Yuki Tabata (the creator of Hungry Joker). If I would describe this manga in a sentence I would say; Black clover is a combination of Naruto 1st part glory days (not Shippuden), a tiny bit of Boku no Hero and everything that was good about Fairy tail, set in a fantasy medieval world full of magic and adventure.

Once your hooked, the manga is extremely easy and fun to read, and believe me it won't take long to get into it if you like that kind of series. Anyone who likes magic, adventure, comedy, epicness and great battles (with no asspulls or bs whatsoever) will very quickly get on board. But of course, everyone has their own preferences, and maybe some people will not find it that appealing, which is fair enough. To each his own i always say.

I am very fond of this manga. Its probably the first ever manga i followed since its chapter 1 release. Basically when Naruto and Hungry Joker ended, Black Clover started and I was imediately on bord. It really grew on me and now its probably one of my fav shonen series. If your a fan of magic and adventure you should definitely pick it up :super plus you can also vote :smile-big

The main cast


The main character which is the series centered around is Asta. He is a young boy who lives in an orphanage and aspires to become a magic knight and eventually become the Magic Emperor who guards the Clover Kingdom from any danger. Also by becoming the Magic Emperor he wants to get rid of discrimination against the common low folk.
But the only problem is, in this world where magic power is everything, he doesn't posses any magic, non whatsoever. Sounds familiar right. Many people compare him to Naruto (or even Midoriya) and are angry about it, which is understandable, but after a few chapters you will see the difference between the protagonists.
But now comes the interesting question; if Asta cannot use magic, how does he fight, or how does he even plan to become a magic knight. The answer lies in the finishing pages of chapter 1, where he acquires an absurd and awesome power that is the very counter to magic itself.





The deuteragonist of this series is Asta's childhood friend and rival, Yuno. He lives in the same orphanage, and like Asta he aspires to become the Magic Emperor. But, unlike Asta, Yuno is a genius and a prodigy in magic. Does this also sound familiar. Of course it does. The generic prodigy rival of the loser that is the main character. But unlike some shonen character of the same rival type, Yuno greatly respects Asta and considers him his best friend, brother and greatest rival.



The other characters


OK, now after comparing it to Naruto, comes the comparison to Fairy Tail. In the manga the characters are selected into certain magic knight orders each lead by a captain who is directly under the command of the Magic Emperor. Those magic orders can be considered as guilds cuz every order has their main HQ where they live.

After the hilarious and very funny knight selection exam, Asta manages to become a member of the magic knight order Black Bulls who are notorious for being the most vial and most crazy of all orders. On the other hand Yuno was selected into Golden Dawn, the strongest and most famous magic squad in Clover Kingdom.

And so after the selection, we get to know the other characters. I must say, I like every character that we got introduced to so far. Every character is very likable. There are all sorts of shonen types in those squads and all are done right. The most unique character for me, and my fav character in the series is the captain of the Black Bulls, Yami. This man is freaking epic and badass and at the same time he is extremely funny and hilarious. He is probably the most badass and most funniest character in the series.



The world

The story is set in a fantasy medieval world. The main cast serve as magic knights of the Clover Kingdom. But there are also other kingdoms, like the military aggressive Diamond Kingdom, Spade Kingdom and so on …

As i mentioned, magic is everything in this world, so possessing more magical power gives you a higher status and more rights, while anyone with low magic power has lower status and is considered a slum rat. This also adds another interesting plot point of discrimination which is mentioned many times through the series and will surely be handled in the future.

In this world the main tool to become a magic knight is a magic tome or grimoire. Every year there is a ceremony in which certain grimoire select their user, kinda like the wands from Harry Potter. After the grimoire select you, you can become a magic knight and grow stronger as a mage. Every grimoire has one type of magic, and every time you learn a spell and progress in magic the grimoire grows. In the Clover Kingdom, on almost every Grimoire, a three-leaf clover symbol is inscribed, but there also exist the four-leaf clover grimore of legends which was possessed by the first magic emperor. The one who posses the four-leaf clover grimoire is destined with great power and luck, and to become the next magic emperor.






The fights

The nonstop action and fights are probably the thing Black Clover is most known for. The manga has really great fights, and every fight is really well choreographed. Team fights are more frequent in the series, but they are really awesome. There is no bs or major asspulls in the fights, and most importantly no silly one-shots against the main villains.







Overall

Great shonen series, with very likable characters, awesome fights, great comedy, emotional and epic moments, but of course with some cliche and generic shonen plot points, character motivations and goals. There are flaws in the series, i won't denie them, but if you love this type of manga you will overlook them very quickly.


​
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,700
Reaction score
61,407
Gender
Male
Country
France
Damn, @Valhalla777. That is a pretty good post. Favoring BC for now.

I don't think I will read he manga anytime soon but I am planning to watch the anime.
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Damn, @Valhalla777. That is a pretty good post. Favoring BC for now.

I don't think I will read he manga anytime soon but I am planning to watch the anime.
Your avatar looks like the main male in FYGK :p


FYGK has way better art, storyline and isn't cliché. It's a prequel but is darker than the original.

The lead female kicks ass and wields a weapon. It's a fanatasy series but has historical and folk significance. I won't copy and paste the information but here is the wiki link:


http://fushigiyuugi.wikia.com/wiki/Fushigi_Yuugi:_Genbu_Kaiden

Basically, it's a 17 year old who gets sucked into a book where she is transported to an ancient Chinese world where she becomes the Priestess of Genbu and is on a journey to find her celestial warriors while trying not to get killed by two armies and several assassination attempts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Crescent_jinxgrace @Sweetlybad please vote!
 

Crescent Jinx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2016
Messages
2,289
Reaction score
15,385
Gender
Female
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Your avatar looks like the main male in FYGK :p


FYGK has way better art, storyline and isn't cliché. It's a prequel but is darker than the original.

The lead female kicks ass and wields a weapon. It's a fanatasy series but has historical and folk significance. I won't copy and paste the information but here is the wiki link:


http://fushigiyuugi.wikia.com/wiki/Fushigi_Yuugi:_Genbu_Kaiden

Basically, it's a 17 year old who gets sucked into a book where she is transported to an ancient Chinese world where she becomes the Priestess of Genbu and is on a journey to find her celestial warriors while trying not to get killed by two armies and several assassination attempts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Crescent_jinxgrace @Sweetlybad please vote!
You know how I love all Yuu Watase stories. I have bought them all. Her art is divine.

Plus nobody can tell me that Yona of the Dawn is not inspired by Fugishi Yuugi.
 
Last edited:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,387
Reaction score
12,175
Gender
Male
Country
United States
BC is a Naruto ripoff, vote Fushigi.
It's definitely by the books, that's for true, but it's still a charming little series. It's definitely gotten better with the last arc, which, ironically, is a tournament arc.

I have many, many issues with the series, but it has some seriously funny gags in it.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Black Clover.

It's my favorite of the new crop of shounen out there right now.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not sure. But I don't consider Boku no Hero Academia "new" anymore. It came out in 2014 -ish?

Black Clover is barely new at this point either but newer, I suppose.
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Ignore the avatar but the every panel is a masterpiece, especially with the fights.




Who doesn't like a girl who kicks ass?
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden is probably Yuu Watase's best work and one of the best shoujos from last decade. It's way better than Vampire Knight for starters.

I remember Watase going on hiatus before finishing it, and by the time I heard she went back to working on it, I forgot some story details and couldn't keep up. I decided to wait for Viz to finish releasing it to read it in one sitting. Maybe I should start on it soon, since I heard the author will start working on Byakko next year. Can't believe I waited all these years to see what the heroine's fate will be lol!
 
Last edited:

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden is probably Yuu Watase's best work and one of the best shoujos from last decade. It's way better than Vampire Knight for starters.

I remember Watase going on hiatus before finishing it, and by the time I heard she went back to working on it, I forgot some story details and couldn't keep up. I decided to wait for Viz to finish releasing it to read it in one sitting. Maybe I should start on it soon, since I heard the author will start working on Byakko next year. Can't believe I waited all these years to see what the heroine's fate will be lol!
It's already out :D I started a thread :redface I agree, so far it's her best work.
 

Aonori

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 13, 2015
Messages
3,437
Reaction score
1,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Portugal
Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden
Yuu Watase


I feel like it has the upperhand against BC.
 

Reebi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
2,432
Reaction score
4,091
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top