Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
A purely literal adaptation would be bad for Neverland. Let's face it, 90% of the series is blablabla. So, they need a melodramatic director like Tetsuro Araki. Just imagine Norman saying "I'll go in the basement...to get a rope!" in the "I'll take a potato chip...and eat it!" style. Holy shit, will sell a million in its first week.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Why so?
They don't have in-house staff (only certain directors / other industry people who work with them often), so the staff for Neverland could be literally anybody. Unless you're referring to those certain staff.
I think the character designs that you usually see from their shows could work, but the original designs shouldn't be changed much.
I know it fluctuates. Idk the staffs but I feel like the look and pacing of shows like Erased, and Interview With Monster Girls would fit Neverland perfectly.
So I guess I'll say Erased staff
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I was thinking Wit.

A1 has little consistency
I think it all depends on their source material. Id day a lot of the series they adapt are about as good as the source material. Or not far behind it. Just all depends on whether you think said source material is good or not.
The anime original stuff is usually sorta bad though
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Random, but I think A1 Pictures would actually be perfect for Neverland

Right.....And I know the reason why you think this because of From The New World but even that had animation hiccups despite how good it was.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I know it fluctuates. Idk the staffs but I feel like the look and pacing of shows like Erased, and Interview With Monster Girls would fit Neverland perfectly.
So I guess I'll say Erased staff
Erased was incredibly rushed and wasn't a good adaptation of the manga rather it was a good adaptation of 1/4th of the mang's story because the Kayo arc was the only reason it garnered any attention so everything else wasn't handled nearly as well in comparison.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I was thinking Wit.

A1 has little consistency
After finishing Made In Abyss I would say Kinema Citrus would do a much better job just for how well it captured the atmospheric feel to the setting and drama that took place and I don't think Wit has proven they can do that given how they turned Attack on Titan into a dumb action story and removed any sense of horror and dread that was in it but I thought the Mahoutsukai no Yome OVA was really well done and I'm excited to see how they handled the TV series so we'll see.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States

Right.....And I know the reason why you think this because of From The New World but even that had animation hiccups despite how good it was.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Erased was incredibly rushed and wasn't a good adaptation of the manga rather it was a good adaptation of 1/4th of the mang's story because the Kayo arc was the only reason it garnered any attention so everything else wasn't handled nearly as well in comparison.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

After finishing Made In Abyss I would say Kinema Citrus would do a much better job just for how well it captured the atmospheric feel to the setting and drama that took place and I don't think Wit has proven they can do that given how they turned Attack on Titan into a dumb action story and removed any sense of horror and dread that was in it but I thought the Mahoutsukai no Yome OVA was really well done and I'm excited to see how they handled the TV series so we'll see.
I think most studios have their hiccups.
And personally I've read the manga of Erased as well and thought it was a great adaptation
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
This big 3 discussion is sad. A few years ago we would have called people out for implying it was anything other than a western thing.
but the thing is it never was only a thing of the west. Is not an expression used in Japan, but Weekly Shonen Jump always gave more attention to their 3 biggest series in a given moment. Is a fact that One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were for a extraordinarily long consecutive period of time in that 3 positions. That obviously grabbed the attention.

What I think is sad, people trying to disregard this fact, also as well as people that like to give their flavor of what they think is the big 3. For that reason we haven't been able to call other series Big 3.

Well, it doesn't matter. Let it call it Pillars of x. And so we have the current
.Pillars of WSJ: One Piece, Haikyuu!! and My Hero Academia.
.Pillars of Tankobon series sales: One Piece, Attack on Titan, Kingdom
.Pillars of Tankobon volume sales: One Piece, Attack on Titan, Haikyuu!!, Tokyo Ghoul: Re

Not a hard concept!
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
but the thing is it never was only a thing of the west. Is not an expression used in Japan, but Weekly Shonen Jump always gave more attention to their 3 biggest series in a given moment. Is a fact that One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were for a extraordinarily long consecutive period of time in that 3 positions. That obviously grabbed the attention.

What I think is sad, people trying to disregard this fact
Couldn't agree more with everything said here. When we talk of the big 3 most of us are referring to their position in WSJ at the time and the length of their dominance, not manga in general yet some people still have not grasped that.

I don't know why people try so hard to discredit the big 3 just because the term was created in the west. People in Japan are well aware of that era hence the references given to the big 3 in Gintama and their presence on Bakuman volume 2's cover

Also I have already posted this earlier on but I might as well post it again due to its relevance in this topic.
Yoshiaki Sukeno, the author of Twin Star Exorcist drew all three of the big 3's protagonists and then said that the three pillar era of pirates, ninjas and shinigami was the golden age for him. Clearly Japan is well aware of that era so I think its time for people to stop trying to discredit the big 3.

Sukeno's tweet:
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think most studios have their hiccups.
True but A-1 is infamously known for their inconsistency not really sliding into any spectrum of consistently good (KyoAni) or consistently bad (Toei) while never elevating itself above "average" in term of quality. I guess when your studio is composed entirely of freelancers you don't really know what to expect.
And personally I've read the manga of Erased as well and thought it was a great adaptation
Yeah if you're just watching it for Kayo's arc and ignoring everything else.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
True but A-1 is infamously known for their inconsistency not really sliding into any spectrum of consistently good (KyoAni) or consistently bad (Toei) while never elevating itself above "average" in term of quality. I guess when your studio is composed entirely of freelancers you don't really know what to expect.

Yeah if you're just watching it for Kayo's arc and ignoring everything else.
I personally enjoyed the entire anime and thought they did a decent job packaging everything in.
I agree that it could have been better, but it's immensely overhated.

Regardless I think the same team would do a great job with Neverland.
Regardless of how people feel about the ending the visuals had a lot of interesting shots and the overall look of the show matched the tone of the series well.
A lot of the scenes were beautifully done, such as Sati finding his mothers body in the beginning(which I could compare to the kids finding Connie). And the reveal of the killer.

It was rushed towards the end, but that's largely due to the manga being completed and short. Having only 12 episodes and having to cram everything in.
With Neverland being separated in arcs and being long running I highly doubt it would face having a rushed anime original ending.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
A purely literal adaptation would be bad for Neverland. Let's face it, 90% of the series is blablabla. So, they need a melodramatic director like Tetsuro Araki. Just imagine Norman saying "I'll go in the basement...to get a rope!" in the "I'll take a potato chip...and eat it!" style. Holy shit, will sell a million in its first week.
An anime is never a literal adaptation, there are addition of frames all over the place for obvious reasons. We ask to be faithful, meaning, to not add things that don't exist in the manga, there are things that added to animes that are just logically arranged sequences, when reading mangas we unconsciously already know that such and such thing happen, so it is not showed, but in the anime is different. Having too much conversation doesn't mean anything, Hyouka has a lot of conversation and it is a god level masterpiece. The director just have to understand the series it is adapting and extract the best out of it.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yup, no surprise there. How many chapters does it have left then?
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
The director just have to understand the series it is adapting and extract the best out of it.
But unfortunately this does not always happen. Most of the time it's just copy and paste. And that's the problem, because not everything that works on paper will work on TV, especially when they want to adapt few chapters per episode as they did with the first season of MHA, resulting in the loss of the dynamics that the manga has. Neverland is not known for having great characterization or much movements. So what will sustain a 20-minute episode? Only conversations? Nah. That's why I say that atmosphere is something essential for this kind of adaptation.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
But unfortunately this does not always happen. Most of the time it's just copy and paste. And that's the problem, because not everything that works on paper will work on TV, especially when they want to adapt few chapters per episode as they did with the first season of MHA, resulting in the loss of the dynamics that the manga has. Neverland is not known for having great characterization or much movements. So what will sustain a 20-minute episode? Only conversations? Nah. That's why I say that atmosphere is something essential for this kind of adaptation.
Heroaca's first few episodes were a mix of timeslot restraints where they had to fill up one cour but not go too fast or else they would go into the Sports Festival which needs its own cour and a great love for the series that might have actually held the series back. Its explicitly seen in interviews that the staff and producers love the series. Toho Producer Okamura Wakana loves the series and it was her as well as Director Nagasaki's idea to split the first chapter into two episodes in order to fully get the impact of the final "You can become a hero!" scene. Episode 2 ends saying Deku can and shows in the episode why he can whereas episode 1 ends with him asking if he can. Its just that audiences don't necessarily have that much patience to get the the punchline.

I haven't read Neverland yet, but just skimming through it, there are a good amount of talking scenes. This isn't a bad thing as Conan is also a good amount of talking and its able to keep audiences glued to their TVs. Its simply a matter of how the Director and Series Composer are able to keep the audiences glued to the screen. Moreso than atmosphere, episode end points have to carefully be selected. They have to build up tension through music and whatnot and end such that you either watch next week or go buy the manga.
 

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
"it had to do with the top 3 most sold for WSJ"
- this statement is wrong for overall sale. My statement stands when "Big 3" became a thing, and still stands when Bleach ended.

"Naruto and Bleach were the 2nd and 3rd most sold during most of there run with OP"
What year are you talking about since it isn't necessarily true. Individual volumes Bleach is up there, but not overall volumes sale.

Bleach serialized in 2002

Pre 2008 there are no true data since Oricon start to record stuff in 2008. But some estimate

2003: One piece/Hunter x Hunter/Naruto
2005: One Piece/Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/
2006: Death Note/One Piece/Naruto

There is no way Bleach is in top 3 "excluding Hunter x hunter" from 2003 to 2006 since Deathnote exists. Prince of Tennis still at its prime

2007: One Piece/Naruto/Hunter x Hunter
2008: One Piece/Naruto/Hitman Reborn/ Bleach - official data, bleach is selling for 800k/volume, so it's top 3 "exlucding Hunter x Hunter"
2009:
One piece/Naruto/Bleach
2010: One PIece/Naruto/Bleach
2011: One Piece/Naruto/Toriko
2012: One Piece/Kuroko/Naruto - Bleach start to drop and KnB is catching up in individual volume sale
2013: One Piece/Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/ Gintama
2014: One Piece/Haikyuu/Naruto/Ass Class

source: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?clubid=65525
5 years in top 3 isn't most of its run (that's 1/3), and i don't know why you exclude Hunter x Hunter out of this. Naruto is top 2 for most of its run though.

So total sale Bleach top 3 for 3 years, individual volumes Bleach is top 3 for around 5 years.

And again, Big 3 is the top 3 most popular mainstream modern anime in the west.
Big 3 started with 2 things happening at the same time and then each people started giving such different meanings that the only thing that was common was which series were the Big 3: One Piece, Naruto, Bleach. Now, that is the only thing that you can touch of the concept and so is like a fixed thing.

The 2 things that happened were. The fame in the west. Naruto had a mega huge boom, Bleach got a big boom in the USA and a good popularity in Europe. One Piece got a good popularity in the west, bet never a big boom(still it was more popular than Bleach in Europe overall).
And the fact that those series were the longest most profitable series in the magazine. Note, I'm not talking of volume sales, I'm talking of the magazine. For at least 8 consecutive years, these 3 series were what we call the "Pillars" of the magazine. The 3 series that appear in the front in Group Color Pages.
Alright I stand corrected.

So what would OP-Haikyuu -MHA be called?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
[
Couldn't agree more with everything said here. When we talk of the big 3 most of us are referring to their position in WSJ at the time and the length of their dominance, not manga in general yet some people still have not grasped that.

I don't know why people try so hard to discredit the big 3 just because the term was created in the west. People in Japan are well aware of that era hence the references given to the big 3 in Gintama and their presence on Bakuman volume 2's cover

Also I have already posted this earlier on but I might as well post it again due to its relevance in this topic.
Yoshiaki Sukeno, the author of Twin Star Exorcist drew all three of the big 3's protagonists and then said that the three pillar era of pirates, ninjas and shinigami was the golden age for him. Clearly Japan is well aware of that era so I think its time for people to stop trying to discredit the big 3.

Sukeno's tweet:
Yeah. I thought it was a legit term cause of that Gintama reference.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Shoseki Manga Sales Rankings (25/9-1/10)
24. My Hero Academia #15
54. Food Wars!# Shokugeki no Souma #26
66. The Promised Neverland #5
145. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san #7
172. Dr. Stone #2
409. Hinomaru Zumou #16

30位28300/50位19900/100位9350/200位5000/300位3500/400位2650/500位2200
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
But unfortunately this does not always happen. Most of the time it's just copy and paste. And that's the problem, because not everything that works on paper will work on TV, especially when they want to adapt few chapters per episode as they did with the first season of MHA, resulting in the loss of the dynamics that the manga has. Neverland is not known for having great characterization or much movements. So what will sustain a 20-minute episode? Only conversations? Nah. That's why I say that atmosphere is something essential for this kind of adaptation.
Did you ignore the rest of my post because you didn't have arguments for it? You are repeating yourself since I already answered it in my previous post.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
While his VA isn't as bad as the OVA's, Asta's voice is still incredibly annoying. That first episode was pretty hard to sit through honestly.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm surprised that they cut the episode just when Asta got the sword. They divided the ep like in Boku no Hero.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top