Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 658 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I'm hopeful too fam, but people were saying the same about the Stain arc.
I still remember this lol.

—-

If someone hasn’t seen the first two seasons (36 episodes) what make you guys think they will watch the first episode of season 3, then rewatch s1 and 2, then purchase the backlog.

Don’t bring up Kingdom tv special or re air timeslots.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Its also something to keep in mind that they may have to heavily censor images like this for a series to be on T.V. that's the issue that will arise with certain series more then others.
Do you really think so? There are animes that have worst scenes, this scene doesn't have even blood on it, it is a very "stylish" way to depict death.... It is more metaphoric than anything else.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
@giathuan2707 this is more going off the source material, most people think the School Trip and Hideout Raid arcs are the apex of what MHA has given out so far. Subjective, but I agree it's my favorite two arcs by far. How did japs feel about those two arcs? I know MHA has been in top 5 throughout until this arc but how was the reception?

De La Croissant

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I'm hopeful too fam, but people were saying the same about the Stain arc. Besides the final episode which was the one of the higher rated episodes the sports festival seemed to do better on average. But at the same time we'll see, won't know until it happens. All we know is these next two arcs are great to most.
But it was not in the Stain episodes that the rating reached 4.5? Or am I crazy?

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a feeling that Neverland will surpass MHA too if it gets a good staff behind it.

Kimetsu no Yaiba can be a big hit too depending on how it's done. The art/charm of the series shouldn't be difficult to be animated, it's just a matter of if the staff is competent.
That's why I'm not writing out KnY yet just for the sheer fact that Tokyo Ghoul and Attack On Titan became big hits thanks in part to their anime adaptations despite the fact that the art in those don't exactly scream mainstream material so anything can basically happen considering it was a bottom dweller for most of its run until recently.
"Impeccable animation" isnt the top priority at all. It's direction. Look at JoJo, part 1/2 (season 1) had subpar animation but was a success thanks to the clever directing. It captured the style of the series too and was all around well received. (thankfully animation improved with the second season)

Especially when TPN is more talk than action, you should be begging for excellent directing than animation.

The animation can be good, not perfect, but if it has excellent directing it will most likely be more of a hit than if it had excellent animation and average directing. IMO
Yes direction is the main key here as the first arc of Neverland has a lot of tense moments that can either sink or swim depending on how well its done. Since its not an action heavy series it'll be much harder to make it work since only a few dialogue heavy anime has manage to do a good job of drawing in viewers (Hyouka and the Monogatari series) thanks to direction and production values. That's why I don't think MAPPA or Madhouse are good picks for it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Gintama manga is not popular outside of the Japan, but the anime really is
https://myanimelist.net/anime/918/Gintama?q=Gintama

400k members its a big number for a series with 200 episodes.
Just like Japan :3c But yeah the manga was never as much of a huge hit as the anime for this franchise in fact it'll be surprising for an anime that's gone on for 10 years and had three successful film adaptations can barely sell over 200k units per volume.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Btw, I've seen some people commenting that author pauses and chapters with fewer pages than normal are usually ranked in lower positions. They used WT and HxH as examples. Is this true?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
But it was not in the Stain episodes that the rating reached 4.5? Or am I crazy?
1. Sazae: 12.3%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan 8.0%
3. Doreamon: 7.2%
4. Conan: 7.1%
5. One Piece: 6.1%
6. Dragon Ball Super: 5.0%
7. My Hero Academia: 4.5%
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon: 3.8%

naw you're not crazy, the finale was the highest rated episode from S2. But I meant on average, it was alot of sub 3.0 ratings. Sports festival seem to always be above 3.0 mostly.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yes direction is the main key here as the first arc of Neverland has a lot of tense moments that can either sink or swim depending on how well its done. Since its not an action heavy series it'll be much harder to make it work since only a few dialogue heavy anime has manage to do a good job of drawing in viewers (Hyouka and the Monogatari series) thanks to direction and production values. That's why I don't think MAPPA or Madhouse are good picks for it.
Direction is that much of a problem to TPN? It is already a great series, follow the original work without changing much, only when the animation requires it, should be good. Most of the success in Hyouka and Monogatari series was really about animation, the director also has a saying in animation, obviously. TPN director will have more to worry about animation than other items.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
@giathuan2707 this is more going off the source material, most people think the School Trip and Hideout Raid arcs are the apex of what MHA has given out so far. Subjective, but I agree it's my favorite two arcs by far. How did japs feel about those two arcs? I know MHA has been in top 5 throughout until this arc but how was the reception?
Well I mean if the Amazon reviews tell us anything /s. Hot take: Current MHA arc is the best one so far

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you really think so? There are animes that have worst scenes, this scene doesn't have even blood on it, it is a very "stylish" way to depict death.... It is more metaphoric than anything else.
I wouldn't really be surprised if they did to be honest though I think it really depends on the studio and the timeslot.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
That's why I'm not writing out KnY yet just for the sheer fact that Tokyo Ghoul and Attack On Titan became big hits thanks in part to their anime adaptations despite the fact that the art in those don't exactly scream mainstream material so anything can basically happen considering it was a bottom dweller for most of its run until recently.

I'm hoping that TPN/KnY don't get Toei, Madhouse or MAPPA. Madhouse/MAPPA are pretty good but there's definitely better studios out there

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
1. Sazae: 12.3%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan 8.0%
3. Doreamon: 7.2%
4. Conan: 7.1%
5. One Piece: 6.1%
6. Dragon Ball Super: 5.0%
7. My Hero Academia: 4.5%
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon: 3.8%

naw you're not crazy, the finale was the highest rated episode from S2. But I meant on average, it was alot of sub 3.0 ratings. Sports festival seem to always be above 3.0 mostly.
Oh, I see. Sorry.

Direction is that much of a problem to TPN? It is already a great series, follow the original work without changing much, only when the animation requires it, should be good. Most of the success in Hyouka and Monogatari series was really about animation, the director also has a saying in animation, obviously. TPN director will have more to worry about animation than other items.
The reader is the one who controls the rhythm of the storytelling in the manga, in the anime this is no longer possible, so the direction must be good, otherwise the impact ends up being weak. And I repeat that Hyouka has the advantage of having very expressive characters and humor, in Neverland the kids are more talking-texts devices. A director who knows how to hyperdramatize these conversations (atmosphere, visuals, voice acting, sound) would be great.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Lol Monogatai had better directing, more so than animation IMO (which was already great)...Akiyuki Shinbo is amazing.

What is animation going to do during narrative dumps again? It's directing that's key.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The reader is the one who controls the rhythm of the storytelling in the manga, in the anime this is no longer possible, so the direction must be good, otherwise the impact ends up being weak. And I repeat that Hyouka has the advantage of having very expressive characters and humor, in Neverland the kids are more talking-texts devices. A director who knows how to hyperdramatize these conversations (atmosphere, visuals, voice acting, sound) would be great.
Well, I didn't say that any director is fine, it has to be good, but I don't think it is the main source of worries, the storytelling. The animation is more than half of the narrative in animes, it is important to have a good animation.
Atmosphere, visual, voice acting, sound... You just described an animation. XD

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really doubt that Toei will get TPN, they don't go for animes that is broadcast in late night.

I would like to see TPN being directed by Tetsuro Amino
https://myanimelist.net/people/9826/Tetsuro_Amino

His work in Shiki is great.
Good pick. Very versatile.

I still stand by that Furuhashi would be the perfect director for Neverland given how he gets down how important atmosphere is to any given work. And anyone who has seen the 1999 version of HxH will know what I'm talking about.

https://myanimelist.net/people/5655/Kazuhiro_Furuhashi

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol Monogatai had better directing, more so than animation IMO (which was already great)...Akiyuki Shinbo is amazing.

What is animation going to do during narrative dumps again? It's directing that's key.
Bakemonogatari + Kizu movies were directed by Tatsuya Oishi and the rest by Tomoyuki Itamura.
Shinbo from what I've heard hasn't directed anime episodes for many years now. He has done some minor stuff (Kakushigoto ads & Madoka concept short film storyboard), but that's it.

Also to mention, Nisekoi was done by Naoyuki Tatsuwa (he left Shaft after S2 apparently).

Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bakemonogatari + Kizu movies were directed by Tatsuya Oishi and the rest by Tomoyuki Itamura.
Shinbo from what I've heard hasn't directed anime episodes for many years now. He has done some minor stuff (Kakushigoto ads & Madoka concept short film storyboard), but that's it.

Also to mention, Nisekoi was done by Naoyuki Tatsuwa (he left Shaft after S2 apparently).
Yep. Shinbo is more of a production manager than an auteur which he admitted himself that he got into anime not because of its artistic merit but for the business itself which would explain how he made SHAFT as big as they are today.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any reason in particular they skipped an issue go release the new entries instead of doing them back 2 back?

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
new SJ Plus manga Vocchimen is about a misunderstood intimidating looking guy guy, like Angel Denstesu and King from OPM

https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/13932016480029112684

hopefully it will gives us some good gags like the previous 2
Looked really funny. Another entry to Shonen Jump Plus' current collection of quality-looking comedies. So much good stuff released since the last few months.

Finally got around to reading Lycopene. The second half after the kind of heavy-handed introduction had some good jokes in there. It's interesting to read if you are interested in learning more about Japanese cultural references, or just want to chuckle at some mindless gags and jokes. I'm planning on reading the next 2 chapters, but will be really surprised if a group picks this up for Editing. Lycopene will likely remain on my reading list at chapter 3, similar to Spring Weapon No.1

Status
Not open for further replies.